HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:06 PM
The Internet
Joined Sep 2002
9 Posts
where can I get foamie gliders cheap?

I am at the moment attempting to biuld my first RC plane.
NOTE: Those of you who are thinking I am a nutcase are completely correct.
Anyway my first prototype is finished, and I need to buiuld another. Sadly, the stupid ieces of foam cost about 6.50 apiece, and I do not want to have to pay fifty bucks just to biuld a few more test planes. Anyone who can tell me where I can get those enormus styeofoam planes you see at Kmart for less?
NOTE:
please temporairily turn off your anti-newbie flamethrowers.

-EJB
Cheapstake is offline Find More Posts by Cheapstake
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:23 AM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
I don't know what area you live in but if you check your local dollar stores like Big Lots or whatever you have there they can be found for as little as 2.99. Better hurry since they are seasonal items, they will be off the shelves soon, sometimes walmart blows them out for very cheap before fall.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Sep 10, 2002, 06:21 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Wally Mart is the choice here. Less than $4 for a 4.5 foot wing span glider. I have a bunch in my hangar that are begging to be
flying wings.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:50 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,170 Posts
I just bought some at the local Shop-ko. They was selling them on clearence for .49 cents each for the 4 1/2 ' planes and .25 cents for the 2' planes. I grabbed as many as I could. I now have enough to do all the experimenting I care to do.
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:59 PM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
Man getting them for .49$ is awsome, I get them for around 4 or $5 each!

I also use the foam gliders for sloping and I get the ulta flyer and it works awsome!! I just made a flying wing out of the wings with a 20% sweep and looks very promising!

For the price and flight performance it is tough to beat them.
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:47 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Hi I use poster board or old sign material that places like 7/11 and Mac stores discard when they put new signs up or renovations also I save all foam chunks that packing boxes have in them etc
Randy Trotter is offline Find More Posts by Randy Trotter
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
use tape....

talk about bringing back an old thread! I have cut alot of wings out of EPS (the white crumbly stuff) and once it has packing tape on it it is really indestructable. It would work great on the cheap store gliders too. The tape makes it impossible for the foam to split. It just compresses. A great cheap glider forum is the Wiesel. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456458 I have cut at least half a dozen of these. Seriously under a dollar for entire airframe. Wire cutting is easier than it looks. Can't wait to see other cheap glider ideas.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe