Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:02 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Discussion
When is an “Invasion” not an invasion?

Setting the limits of invasion journalism

“...In demonstrating how censorship works in free societies and the double standard that props up the facade of “objectivity” and “impartiality”, Roger Hermiston’s polite profanity offers a valuable exhibit. An invasion is not an invasion if “we” do it, regardless of the lies that justified it and the contempt shown for international law. An occupation is not an occupation if “we” run it, no matter that the means to our “positive ends” require the violent deaths of hundreds of thousands of men, women and children, and an unnecessary sectarian tragedy. Those who euphemise these crimes are those Arthur Miller had in mind when he wrote: “The thought that the state... is punishing so many innocent people is intolerable. And so the evidence has to be internally denied.” Miller might have been less charitable had he referred directly to those whose job it was to keep the record straight….

This [study] concluded that more than 80 per cent of the media unerringly followed “the government line” and less than 12 per cent challenged it. This unusual, and revealing, research is in the tradition of Daniel Hallin at the University of California, whose pioneering work on the reporting of Vietnam, The Uncensored War, saw off the myth that the supposedly liberal American media had undermined the war effort…”

Since the invasion and occupation of Iraq I have become more and more dissatisfied with the BBC and the CBC. They appear more as subsidized & bias mouth pieces for the governments that fund them.

Kev
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:14 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Head
. . . . Since the invasion and occupation of Iraq I have become more and more dissatisfied with the BBC and the CBC. They appear more as subsidized & bias mouth pieces for the governments that fund them.

Kev
Then just continue getting your news from blog-sites that preach to your particular choir!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:17 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Who cares? I just want to see a evidence of a "Necessary sectarian tragedy".

I'm also interested to here someone actually make the claim that we did not "Invade" Iraq, since the article that we are using polite euphemisms for our own actions.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:51 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Who cares? I just want to see a evidence of a "Necessary sectarian tragedy".

I'm also interested to here someone actually make the claim that we did not "Invade" Iraq, since the article that we are using polite euphemisms for our own actions.

Not sure I understand you POV here.

Kev
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:59 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
My POV is that while I am at work, my time is at a premium, and I won't bother to read a link if the teaser is not well written.
Old Dec 07, 2006, 07:03 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Quote:
My POV is that while I am at work, my time is at a premium, and I won't bother to read a link if the teaser is not well written.
Understood. What you decide to read and/or comment on is up to you and I respect that.

Kev
Old Dec 07, 2006, 07:24 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I'm happy to read well written information, especially if it challanges my preconceptions. If it's poorly written, then I find it difficult to take seriously, no matter what its motivation is.
Old Dec 07, 2006, 07:33 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Quote:
I'm happy to read well written information, especially if it challanges my preconceptions. If it's poorly written, then I find it difficult to take seriously, no matter what its motivation is.

I must admit I am a bit biased when it comes to John Pilger’s work. Many of his past efforts I believe are exemplary in a journalistic sense.

In a world with few men/women I could/would consider “heroes”, John is certainly one from my POV.

I would also admit that this may not be one of his best pieces.

I had hoped it might be a springboard for some debate on this (what I believe to be) fallacy of a “liberal media” which I feel is wholly untrue.

I did however find the article interesting.

Kev
Old Dec 07, 2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,140 Posts
Quote:
Hmm ... the same might be said about your post:

Who cares? I just want to see a [sic] evidence of a "Necessary sectarian tragedy".

I'm also interested to here [sic] someone actually make the claim that we did not "Invade" Iraq, since the article that we are using [???] polite euphemisms for our own actions.

(That was a terribly cheap shot, but I just couldn't resist.)

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Dec 07, 2006, 08:31 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I'm not certain who isn't owning up to the invasion or the occupation. The US action certainty fits both bills.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:04 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
Then just continue getting your news from blog-sites that preach to your particular choir!
The pot calling the kettle black.

Viper, you post this on the very same day you post a quote from WorldNetDaily?

You funny.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Dec 08, 2006, 09:49 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
The pot calling the kettle black.

Viper, you post this on the very same day you post a quote from WorldNetDaily?

You funny.
But I'm not the one who says "Since the invasion and occupation of Iraq I have become more and more dissatisfied with the BBC and the CBC. They appear more as subsidized & bias mouth pieces for the governments that fund them."

I get my news from a multitude of sources.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:27 AM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
I get my news from a multitude of sources.
So do I, and to infer otherwise is simply supposition on your part.

Kev
Old Dec 08, 2006, 12:12 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse
Hmm ... the same might be said about your post:

Who cares? I just want to see a [sic] evidence of a "Necessary sectarian tragedy".

I'm also interested to here [sic] someone actually make the claim that we did not "Invade" Iraq, since the article that we are using [???] polite euphemisms for our own actions.

(That was a terribly cheap shot, but I just couldn't resist.)

Neil
Another demonstration of time constraint, I'm afraid. And of typing one handed.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 12:17 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Head
I must admit I am a bit biased when it comes to John Pilger’s work. Many of his past efforts I believe are exemplary in a journalistic sense.

In a world with few men/women I could/would consider “heroes”, John is certainly one from my POV.

I would also admit that this may not be one of his best pieces.

I had hoped it might be a springboard for some debate on this (what I believe to be) fallacy of a “liberal media” which I feel is wholly untrue.

I did however find the article interesting.

Kev

I will read it after my current project is complete.