HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:35 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Can we fix it...Yes we can...i hope

OK,

This was my first attempt at a plane. After launching it about 35 times with no luck and a crumpled I finally got the 400X to fly...and it has flown. Other then a dive from 25 feet it has been in the air 98% of the time. Now after my last dive I feel it is time to fix her up. I have the probond in hand, is there anything I need to know before proceeding?? I guess I squeeze the probond into the holes and level off with a plastic knife.

Should I lay a book on the nose after applying the probond?
zeenon is offline Find More Posts by zeenon
Last edited by zeenon; Sep 09, 2002 at 07:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:36 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
The pig nose......(Joe special)
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:25 PM
Profiled Interfraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,958 Posts
Or.....cut on the red lines and reglue.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:06 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Would it fly like a razor?? That may be good in the long run after a couple more dives. For now I'm just looking to repair it and learn as much as I can before buying a new set of cores. That is a great idea though!!!!!
Old Sep 10, 2002, 05:04 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,002 Posts
You might want to take a look at these Wally Wings. It sounds great!

http://www.acesim.com/rc/wallywing.html
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:12 AM
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Aug 2002
5 Posts
Check out this site.

I was in the same situation that you are in. Check out www.yourzagi.com The guy that owns this site, (Matt I think) has so much information that you can't help but to get hooked. There is a section that wii fit your needs.
jay103943 is offline Find More Posts by jay103943
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:14 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Probond foams, so you'll have a big mushroom of foam if you fill in the voids and level it off. Wet the area you want to glue, and put a little probond in at a time, letting it cure and foam up each time. This way, you minimize sanding.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:28 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
I wouldn't squeeze in too much glue if I could avoid it. It looks lile the tape is holding the nose out of shape. The EPP should return to shape when the tape is released. Is the foam in the centre section crumbly? If not, it would be worth holding the bare foam over the spout of a boiling kettle - the foam will return to shape when heated with steam, once it has returned to shape, you can glue the big bits together! If it is beyond repair, I would cut out the damaged area(EPS only-leave the EPP), replace it with white foam, and sand it to shape as best you can. I did this with my Zagi, and the repair is invisible underneath the tape.
wigham1 is offline Find More Posts by wigham1
Last edited by wigham1; Sep 10, 2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:36 PM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Replace center foam

I would just replace the center foam. Go a little deeper with the EPP for extra crashworthyness.

1 trick I have used is to make a nose bra out of a 2 liter soda bottle and attach to nose.

Take an index card and roll it over the top and cut to fit with edges meeting at bottom. Then cut out a soda bottle the shape of index card and attach. I usual sew it in place with Safety wire (thin)in addition to glue and tape. You could use dental floss or spiderwire (Spectra)

What this does is distributes the load over a greater area and holds the mush together much better.

good luck
Ron P.
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
Old Sep 10, 2002, 05:01 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Guys,

Is it better to stick some probond in the hole or cut the section of EPS out and replace it completely?

If you look at the first pic the area behind the EPP and in front of the blue dot is getting beat up. The hole is not all the way through yet so I was going to put some probond in to level off and strengthen the foam. I just can't bring myself to cut a hole through the wing yet .

Another question I had is the servo holes are a tad loose. I used some spray foam (the stuff at home depot for windows) but that seems to be very crushable unlike probond which seems a little sturdier. Are there any good tip for filling the servo holes?

I tested the probond on some scrap foam and pushed one side of the servo onto the probond. After about 12 hours the servo was pretty well stuck to the probond. I'm just worried I'll never get the servo out if I fill in 5 sides...
Old Sep 10, 2002, 05:06 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Actually I don't see anything that needs fixing
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:59 PM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
FrankenZagi

At the field I tried to convince Bill we could have fixed it with a little strapping tape .....That would have been interesting...Bill...just use a little probond on that sucker and lets go flyin on the weekend. Experiment with it first since it does expand quite a bit as it cures. Put a couple of drops in one of the areas that need fixing then look at it in the morning. This will at least give you an idea how much it will expand.......For what it's worth....It was a graceful nose-in Should have aimed for the pool

Joe
FX1SUB is offline Find More Posts by FX1SUB
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:09 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Time to make the dougnuts!!!!!

I knew I would find some use for TCP/IP .
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:29 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Hay I have the same book
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:56 PM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
rcav8r2,

Where's the classics in your Avatar. 2112, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres... Huge Rush fan until the last couple of trainwrecks. What was Geddy thinkin with that solo project....Sorry for being off-topic.

Bill,

That looks like quite a bit of Probond....Prepare to do some sanding tomorrow

Joe
FX1SUB is offline Find More Posts by FX1SUB