SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:13 AM
Conservative, RC extreme
Petaluma, Calif.
Joined Nov 2005
171 Posts
Discussion
Castor oil in fuel?

Hi, I have been running my Saito engines on 20/20 fuel with only synthetic lubricant. I just bought a Magnum Engine XL70 4 stroke with ring, and it specifically states that it needs 5% of Castor oil in order to keep the wear in check. At my LHS, they don't even have fuel with Castor oil! Where do I buy it and do you think I really need it??

Thanks,

Chris
z1nonlyone is offline Find More Posts by z1nonlyone
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:40 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,396 Posts
The pink Omega has just enough castor in it. But you do not specify where you're located so I don't know if it is available to you.

Tower sells Klotz BeNOL 2-Stroke Castor Oil Pint

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:48 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
. . . you do not specify where you're located . . .
Oops. Wrong coordinate input on my part. The - coordinate through me off!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Last edited by Viper Pilot; Dec 07, 2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:51 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
Coordinates indicate Australia.
Yeah, but I'm nowhere within 1818 miles from the land of Oz.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2006, 10:00 AM
Conservative, RC extreme
Petaluma, Calif.
Joined Nov 2005
171 Posts
I am in Petaluma, ca. if that matters,,,, oh but I see that I might be able to add just the castor oil?
Old Dec 07, 2006, 10:07 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,396 Posts
My Magnums (and actually all my engines - 2- and 4-strokes) run on 10% Omega - one of the least expensive premixed fuels - I pay less than $12 per gallon at the LHS.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2006, 10:15 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
I am an Omega guy also, 15% Omega in all my 2 strokes, my local hobby shop is out right now and I am very grumpy.!
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Dec 07, 2006, 10:33 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
769 Posts
you can probably order a quart of castor form sig or maybe even tower. Just figure out how much you need to add to your fuel by persentage. I used to bump my oil up to 20 to 22% with castor and it took like 2 ounces to raise it 2% or something like that.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:50 AM
ProBro #1889
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
Castor is NOT needed in fuel. I run Powermaster or Wildcat YS 20/20 blend in everything. Modern fuels have made castor nearly obsolete... In some cases to much castor can actually hurt the engine because it gums up over time.... but this is rare...

you don't need it... In fact several Engine makers... YS for example tell you NOT to ever run castor in a 4Stroke because buildup over time causes the valves to stick....

5% may not hurt it, but i seriously doubt it will help anything but your wallet get needlessly thinner.

Castor WILL however protect your motor slightly better if it goes a little lean on accident, because it builds up on the surfaces over time.... but the difference is so slight it's hardly a benefit... but you shouldn't be running lean anyway
DsWright is offline Find More Posts by DsWright
Old Dec 07, 2006, 12:05 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsWright
Castor is NOT needed in fuel. I run Powermaster or Wildcat YS 20/20 blend in everything. Modern fuels have made castor nearly obsolete... In some cases to much castor can actually hurt the engine because it gums up over time.... but this is rare...

you don't need it... In fact several Engine makers... YS for example tell you NOT to ever run castor in a 4Stroke because buildup over time causes the valves to stick....

5% may not hurt it, but i seriously doubt it will help anything but your wallet get needlessly thinner.

Castor WILL however protect your motor slightly better if it goes a little lean on accident, because it builds up on the surfaces over time.... but the difference is so slight it's hardly a benefit... but you shouldn't be running lean anyway
This may be a can of worms you don't want to open. I don't believe most modern engines need castor, but it it really won't harm anything, and it is usually cheaper rather than more expensive than synthetics, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

I decided to go all-synth when I realized everyone at the club was already, and they seemed perfectly happy. It does have the advantage of leaving your engines clean, though you don't get that wonderful castor smell.

Another point to bear in mind is that if your engines instructions state that you must use castor, then you warranty will be invalid if you don't.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Dec 07, 2006, 01:21 PM
Conservative, RC extreme
Petaluma, Calif.
Joined Nov 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsWright

Yes, I think your right about the Castor. If I run lean then it could or would be of benefit due to its higher flash point. I can't believe if it is so important, that my LHS would not carry any fuel containing Castor as they do sell engines also. Is it because Magnum XL70 is a ringed engine? Or they just want to specify the Castor to cover their hide for warrantee purposes?
Old Dec 07, 2006, 02:54 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Well I'll just add my 2 cents here. For Many years I was in a quandry as to what fuel to use since there was so many choices out there. Some folks claimed that you didn't need to use 2 stroke fuel for just 2 strokes but that you could use 2 stroke fuel for both 2 and 4 stroke engines. I tried it and messed up my 4 strokers - they just ran lousy with 2 stroke fuel. Then the LHS acquired Wildcat 2/4 stroke synthetic for both 2 and 4 stroke engines 15% about 3 or 4 years ago. What great stuff !! I have gone through about 8 cases (4 gallon cases) and have not had a hiccup with any of my engines of which I have some thirty - mostly 4 stroke from 26 thru 180s and maybe a dozen 2 strokes of different sizes from 15s thru 90s. NO CASTOR !! I love it and it is with such PLEASURE when I go for fuel to KNOW exactly what fuel to buy. No more "I wonder" what fuel is what I want. The end.
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Dec 07, 2006, 03:05 PM
ProBro #1889
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Allen
This may be a can of worms you don't want to open. I don't believe most modern engines need castor, but it it really won't harm anything, and it is usually cheaper rather than more expensive than synthetics, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Matthew
I was implying that buying the more expensive synth fuel to only add castor to it, but i wasn't very clear on that.

I run 2Strokes, 4Strokes, and heli engines, i use YS 20/20 in everything.... never had a problem, many of the engines have well over 12 gallons through them.

One thing that does suck about castor... man it makes your mufflers look horrible but they aren't there to look pretty anyway...
DsWright is offline Find More Posts by DsWright
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:46 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
I like castor because _I_ think it cuts down on bearing corrosion. Yes, it may gum up valves, but they're easier to ungum than bearings are to replace.

Besides, I grew up on Fox Superfuel -- 5% nitro and 20% castor.*

howell

.*..and it didn't stunt my growth none neither!
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:57 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
I like the smell! Alas, I'm going straight gasser, so I'll have to rely on my fellow clubmembers for the fix!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot