Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:12 AM
Fly Safe !
SP, Brazil
Joined Jul 2004
329 Posts
Question
DOPE - What is it ???

Hello Guys,

The DOPE is made from what ? How it is made ?

It is possible to make your own dope ?

I did some searches on the Internet but I can't find good stuffs about Dope...

Thanks for all !

Lucas
Lucke is offline Find More Posts by Lucke
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:41 AM
London Gatwick, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
244 Posts
dope is basically cellulose disolved in a solven,something like acetone,amyl acetate ,or similar nasty things, but there is more to it than that.I wouldnteven think of making your own,even if you could get the constituents.
oldphart is offline Find More Posts by oldphart
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:44 AM
Fly Safe !
SP, Brazil
Joined Jul 2004
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart
dope is basically cellulose disolved in a solven,something like acetone,amyl acetate ,or similar nasty things, but there is more to it than that.I wouldnteven think of making your own,even if you could get the constituents.
Ok. I have reading about DOPES made from Nitrocellulose and Butyrate, is that same thing or they are differents ?

What is the best to use on FF Models ?

Thanks for all,

Lucas
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:48 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,740 Posts
Lucas, if there is no hobby shop close by, go to your local general aviation airport and talk to the head mechanic. I THINK what you will get is nitrate which is not fuelproof and will have to be thinned (thinner also available) at least 1:1. Any mail-order store (SIG, Tower) carries dope, but shipping may be a problem. I don't know.

Dope is (used tobe used) on tissue, silk, paper coverings, etc. both to attach and to shrink and toughen them.

howell
PM if you have any other questions.
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:00 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,740 Posts
NITRATE dope is not resistant to nitromethane or methanol ("fuel-proof") but it is water-resistant and oil resistant. It does not shrink the covering as much as Butyrate and does not keep shrinking over several weeks.

BUTYRATE is "fuel-proof", shrinks more than nitrate and keeps shrinking. It used to be that you could put nitrate over butyrate, but not butyrate over nitrate. However, formulas have changed a lot because of hazardous material regulations. For example, I cannot use my 1970-era thinner in 2000 dope.

If you buy a certain brand of dope from a model supplier, it will be compatible and probably fuel-proof unless it specifically says it isn't (or says nitrate on the label). Some brands are SIG, AERO-GLOSS, RANDOLPH and BRODAK. If you go to Sigmfg or brodak.com you will find dopes listed. Towerhobbies.com also carries it.

For rubber power or gliders or electric, nitrate is better. If it is engine powered, use Butyrate.

If you go to modelaircraft.org (the AMA site) or to any freeflight site, there should be articles on how to use dope. It's been a long time since I've done it, so I'm not really sure what's out there.

Hope this helps. And I think I wil post this on the rcgroups site. It might encourage somebody with mre recent experience to chime in.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:25 AM
Fly Safe !
SP, Brazil
Joined Jul 2004
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
NITRATE dope is not resistant to nitromethane or methanol ("fuel-proof") but it is water-resistant and oil resistant. It does not shrink the covering as much as Butyrate and does not keep shrinking over several weeks.

BUTYRATE is "fuel-proof", shrinks more than nitrate and keeps shrinking. It used to be that you could put nitrate over butyrate, but not butyrate over nitrate. However, formulas have changed a lot because of hazardous material regulations. For example, I cannot use my 1970-era thinner in 2000 dope.

If you buy a certain brand of dope from a model supplier, it will be compatible and probably fuel-proof unless it specifically says it isn't (or says nitrate on the label). Some brands are SIG, AERO-GLOSS, RANDOLPH and BRODAK. If you go to Sigmfg or brodak.com you will find dopes listed. Towerhobbies.com also carries it.

For rubber power or gliders or electric, nitrate is better. If it is engine powered, use Butyrate.

If you go to modelaircraft.org (the AMA site) or to any freeflight site, there should be articles on how to use dope. It's been a long time since I've done it, so I'm not really sure what's out there.

Hope this helps. And I think I wil post this on the rcgroups site. It might encourage somebody with mre recent experience to chime in.

howell
Thanks !

But I find only the Butyrate Dope, so I'll use it on my Free Flight models.

Thanks for all !

Lucas
Old Dec 07, 2006, 02:16 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,602 Posts
>oil resistant.

NOT! Fly a diesel powered model for a while and no matter how well doped it is... the oil will permeate into the tissue. I always spray a final coat of fuelproofer.

Lucas - look into smallflyingarts.com for info on nitrate, availability, etc. - don't be afraid to ask! By the way, there are members there from Brazil who might be able to give local knowledge.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Dec 07, 2006, 10:00 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I can buy butyrate or nitrate from my local paint supply store, but you have to talk to someone with grey hair in there, seldom the pimply-faced will have a clue what you are talking about...

Lots of airports around, and those guys can almost always help.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Dec 07, 2006, 10:34 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
The 'pimply-faced' ones will know what 'dope' is, but a different one we are talking about here.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Dec 08, 2006, 12:05 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,536 Posts
Lucas, the dope that is used on full sized airplanes often does not have the same plasticisers in it to keep the dope flexible and limit the amount of shrinking.

Do you have access to any hobby shops that sell Radio Control supplies? If you do and if they sell Coverite brand Balsarite then pick up a small tin of that. Dope your models with two or three very thin coats and then add one thinned down coat of the Balsarite to prevent any bad shrinking.

I've found that this method works far better than trying to add oils or other additives to the dope. But if you cannot find the Balsarite then another option is to add two or three drops of castor oil to about 100 ml of thin dope to help lower the amount of shrinking.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 08, 2006, 02:13 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Lucke, It seems apparant to me that you may have a little trouble getting what you need easily.

You can make it easy on yourself by using Future.Its at your local grocery store. I have heard lots of good about it tho I personally have not used it.

There are several tutorials here and there on how to use it instaed of dope. Its cheaper by far and easily purchased, has no toxic fumes so it won't smell up the house and won't burn if you set a match to it. What more could you ask for?

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin