SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2006, 02:23 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Discussion
3D Hobby Shop 47'' Yak 54

Hi all/got one on order. info here http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/ .

RCGroups Review Of The Yak 54 Click Here
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Mar 21, 2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2006, 06:04 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Its Here Already !

My 3D Hobby Shop Yak 54 arrived much earlier than expected.. (very uncommon for a new release these days) it was packaged very well (Triple boxed) and everything looks in good shape.. spent about 30 minutes looking it over.. construction looks very good as well as covering and its application. Theres a lot of attention to the details... i'll describe more when i begin build tomorrow.. until then heres some very noticable things/carbon fiber wingtube.. (very light for its size/and rigid) good size axles for landing gear..(they look bullet proof). two rudder servo set up options.. tail mount and pull pull.. (theres some nice little internal guide tubes for pull pull cables to exit fuselage). looked through the manual and it has some nice features as well.. the assembly looks straight forward with good illustratsions and text but also has set up and mixing info. theres more to this manual than most... Scott Stoops describes how to do the most popular 3D moves (along with plane and radio illustrations for each maneuver). as an added bonus you get something nice from Higher Plane Productions when mentioning the video.. looking forward to that and i always look forward to Fred Midgetts videos. i purchased the yak 54 with power set so i'll be using the torque 2818t/900 and air boss 35 amp esc for power. hitec hs 65s all around and my new DX7 radio. heres some pics
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 07:55 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Real,

Looks good so far. Are you going to be using the DX 7 with the new AR7000 receiver? From my understanding it is little weighty with the two receiver setup. I am looking forward to watching the build on this one.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Dec 08, 2006, 09:25 AM
Yes, right there.
Comox, BC, CAN
Joined Jul 2003
581 Posts
The fancy!
SpleenRippa is offline Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
Old Dec 08, 2006, 12:06 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
Real,

Looks good so far. Are you going to be using the DX 7 with the new AR7000 receiver? From my understanding it is little weighty with the two receiver setup. I am looking forward to watching the build on this one.

Tim
I had a chance to look at the DX7 yesterday at the LHS. The receiver seemed very light-I didn't actually weigh it. I doubt it is any more than a 555. The radio also had a nice feel-I will definitely be getting one.

Great YAK-can't wait for mine to show up

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Dec 08, 2006, 12:19 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Here's a few pics to keep you motivated during the build.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2006, 01:30 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Thanks for the motivation... and thanks for the hard work that went into the new planes. from the big things.. like carbon fiber wing tube.. to the little things like a nice velcro strap to hold the pack in during violent manuevers. this is one very nice plane.. a buddy said this is my best plane yet/i agree .

Heres some pics of recievers and weight differance/i'll get started on plane a little later when im not in a zombie like state.. couldnt help but get up early/feel like a kid on christmas and i got the best toy on the block
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 02:23 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real
Thanks for the motivation... and thanks for the hard work that went into the new planes. from the big things.. like carbon fiber wing tube.. to the little things like a nice velcro strap to hold the pack in during violent manuevers. this is one very nice plane.. a buddy said this is my best plane yet/i agree .

Heres some pics of recievers and weight differance/i'll get started on plane a little later when im not in a zombie like state.. couldnt help but get up early/feel like a kid on christmas and i got the best toy on the block

Real,

Thanks for the pics. on the weight difference between the AR6000 and AR7000. Not major but when you are looking to make a plane as light as you can it all adds up. O.K. now get'er done.

Tim
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:58 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
Here's a few pics to keep you motivated during the build.

Thanks for the pictures Ben. It is great to see such a terrific looking plane being sold at such a great price. You the man Ben!!

Tim
Old Dec 08, 2006, 04:35 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Getting Started

Price is very reasonble.. especially for the size and qaulity of the plane you get/i bought the plane with power set and from everything ive seen.. the torque motors really pull these size planes around well. heres pic of first step/aileron hinging.. more pics to come.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 05:18 PM
3d all the way
Lincoln NE (Husker Nation)
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
AWESOME pics. This plane looks amazing!
I pretty much can do the basic 3d stuff so I was wondering if this plane would work, with the rates turned down a little, to practice basic stuff and then as my skill increases, slowly work up to full out 3d?
Edge540man is offline Find More Posts by Edge540man
Old Dec 08, 2006, 05:32 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Thanks/the manual is very good on set ups.. theres conservative rates and expo settings for regular flying listed. 3D settings are covered well also.. but expo and deflection rates are really personal preferances and they vary among pilots. its a nice size plane and should fly well for anyone who has basic flying expierence with this type of plane.. you can tone a plane down or crank up the rates to make it very agressive. heres some pics of wings. stab install is next/more pics to follow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 06:28 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Stab is installed and epoxy is curing.. the elevator and rudder install is next. during down time i'll give more details about hardware. linkage rods are nice.. there larger diameter.. rigid and beefy. the EZ connectors are all metal and secured with a nut.. not plastic like some similar sized planes. the wheels are good size and should work well for those who fly from grass.. the tail wheel is nice also. more pics to follow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 08:23 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Halfway There !

Ive been going slow waiting for epoxy to cure and having snacks here and there. im on page 11 of 22 for build.. only need a couple more steps that call for epoxy so things will go a little faster when i start back up. i have about 4 hours into it but actually about 1 or 2 of building.. epoxy/snack breaks/taking and loading pics etc. airframe will be done sometime tonight and i'll probally install the rest of radio gear tomorrow. currently temps are like the north pole out here so it may be a while before maiden.. i dont have the guts to take a foamy out in this weather . some more pics/more to follow later.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Dec 08, 2006 at 10:46 PM. Reason: typo gremlins got me again :-o
Old Dec 08, 2006, 09:17 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Real-

Wow man. Thanks for taking the time to document your build for everyone! Yes, all the little touches are nice. Don't you love that tail wheel? ;-) -Fred
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor