HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2006, 12:26 AM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,172 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Reactor GP/EP!!

Oops did this in the sport section. This plane should be in this section too. Out of box component weight is 47.67 oz. Going to go with the recommended 42-60-480/CC80/6s2p. Should have this together soon. Will try to video. Great job Tower! Keep em' comin'!
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:27 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Sweet contrasting look on the bottom of the wings/tail group. If it flies like its little brother it should be an awesome airplane.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Dec 06, 2006, 07:13 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,172 Posts
I've got nuthin' but love for my Reactor Jr. I'm sure that will be the same for the Reactor Sr. They even coated the firewall area with epoxy for you. I assume that has something to do with the weird mount and that square tank thingee . I couldn't figure out what that was for, but now I think it's either for the smoke system or it's a water tank for the liquid cooling system for my brushless motor. Be ashamed to slime up such a nice airframe.....
Old Dec 06, 2006, 07:24 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfrules
I've got nuthin' but love for my Reactor Jr. I'm sure that will be the same for the Reactor Sr. They even coated the firewall area with epoxy for you. I assume that has something to do with the weird mount and that square tank thingee . I couldn't figure out what that was for, but now I think it's either for the smoke system or it's a water tank for the liquid cooling system for my brushless motor. Be ashamed to slime up such a nice airframe.....
Ed,

When you can it would be nice to see some firewall pictures as well as some interior pictures of the fuselage. I like the fact that GP's decided not to go with the transparent covering on this airframe.

Tim
Old Dec 06, 2006, 08:20 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,172 Posts
Here' some shots, gotta head out to work. Later....
Old Dec 06, 2006, 11:14 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I like the fact they are using what looks like 4 magnets to hold the battery hatch on. The area just under the firewall looks like a nice place to rest an esc on as well. The best part is the signs of the hole for where the wing tube will go.

Tim
Old Dec 06, 2006, 01:25 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,172 Posts
No scary gluing the wing spar together! Looks like if you want to lighten it some more you could retrofit a carbon wing tube. I bet Bolly carbon landing gear looks about right for a replacement when I bend these!
Old Dec 06, 2006, 02:20 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfrules
No scary gluing the wing spar together! Looks like if you want to lighten it some more you could retrofit a carbon wing tube. I bet Bolly carbon landing gear looks about right for a replacement when I bend these!

Ed,

It will be interesting to see how large a prop the landing gear will allow for us electric guys. I am hoping the stock gear will work with at least a 17" prop with out "mowing the grass".

Tim
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:00 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
You will really like the performance of the recommended power package. The RimFire makes tons of power!
My favorite thing about the Reactor, is it truly is a multi task design. Its precision characteristics are very strong.....and it tucks into some of the wildest tumbling- water falling 3D tricks. The wing design really shines when flying out of these types of fully stalled maneuvers...as it seems to lock right in immediately when recovering.
The scheme really pops when in flight, and visibility is never an issue even in low light/overcast situations.

Enjoy!!
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:39 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rod22x
You will really like the performance of the recommended power package. The RimFire makes tons of power!
My favorite thing about the Reactor, is it truly is a multi task design. Its precision characteristics are very strong.....and it tucks into some of the wildest tumbling- water falling 3D tricks. The wing design really shines when flying out of these types of fully stalled maneuvers...as it seems to lock right in immediately when recovering.
The scheme really pops when in flight, and visibility is never an issue even in low light/overcast situations.

Enjoy!!
g_rod,

Cool thanks for the info. Any idea on the prop length that the stock gear will accomodate? Great to hear the plane flies as good as it looks.

Tim
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:47 PM
Wind Powered
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Our setup runs a 15 x8 APC prop.
I will find out what the limits are...as I have only flown the Reactor with that propeller.
George
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:52 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,172 Posts
Gear looks plenty tall. I'll be putting it on later tonight and I'll try and test fit a few props to check. Got about 1320 watts on a 6s2p/17 x 10 prop for tests. Got around 1130(@54amps) with the 16 x 8 and only 1180 with the 17 x 8(?) and only 2 more amps on the bench. The extra 2" in pitch seems to pump up the amps a little more than prop diameter. I like the power to weight ratio. This motor is about 4 oz less than other motors with the same output. Apparently more cooling and lighter aluminum are the ticket. More later...
Last edited by edfrules; Dec 07, 2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 07:05 AM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,172 Posts
Quote:
Our setup runs a 15 x8 APC prop.
I will find out what the limits are...as I have only flown the Reactor with that propeller.
George
That's such a tiny prop for this size plane(for serious 3D flying). I think the 16 x 8 gives about 1130 watts on a 6s. Does this sound about right? I'm also confused a little by all the discrepancies with some of the motor data. Called up too and that gave me even more confusion with a different story. Sure would like to get the correct data before bolting this motor on the firewall. The 42-60-480 is listed as a 5s max setup on one website and another says it's OK to use 6s. Was also told the 18 x 8 prop was the largest this motor can swing(on 6s?). Any clues would be appreciated!
Old Dec 08, 2006, 09:59 AM
Wind Powered
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Sorry for my delayed response. I was away fro the CPU all day yesterday.

16 is the largest you can fit...before you may run into potential clearance issues.

The recommended RimFire setup has been tested extensively.
I assure you…when you strap 2 3200s in that thing with the 15 x 8 APC…it will make all the power needed for unlimited 3D flying…..not to mention huge towering precision maneuvers.

Have fun tumbling!
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:11 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for my delayed response. I was away fro the CPU all day yesterday.

16 is the largest you can fit...before you may run into potential clearance issues.

The recommended RimFire setup has been tested extensively.
I assure you…when you strap 2 3200s in that thing with the 15 x 8 APC…it will make all the power needed for unlimited 3D flying…..not to mention huge towering precision maneuvers.

Have fun tumbling!
g_rod,

Cool thanks!! I really like my RimFire outrunner in my smaller Reactor 3D, glad to hear this one will power this plane with authority.

Tim