HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:42 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Build Log
YAP (Yet Another Profile) F14 design.

I know some people think these types of planes have been done to death, they're just so much fun to fly though!

I should be able to cut one tomorrow and do a glide test to find the CG.

Pending a good fit, I'll post the plans for any interested builders.

Inspired by GPWs design, intended for a pusher 6x5e with a TowerPro BP/BM2409-12 and 18amp ESC. Should fly semi-scale.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Last edited by ToxicToast; Dec 22, 2006 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Change title for series of posts.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2006, 11:01 PM
huntington beach
Joined Oct 2006
62 Posts
interested very very interested
supisdonk is offline Find More Posts by supisdonk
Old Dec 06, 2006, 07:44 AM
Salt Lake City
Joined Jul 2003
323 Posts
Very interested. Please post plan.
Thanks,
Saeed
Saeed is offline Find More Posts by Saeed
Old Dec 06, 2006, 02:48 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Beta Plans

OK, here are the 20in 'Beta' plans. Feedback welcome.

I won't get a chance to cut today which sucks cause the winds are going to be very low tomorrow where I live and it would make a great day to do the first test flight.

At this point, I do not know the CG location. I am guessing it will be 17-18" from the tip of the nose. I plan to do a BlueCor version first and get verification on the fittings. After it has flown a few and I have all the goodies worked out, I'll move to a cleaner Depron version.

Looking forward to getting feedback and seeing what others come up with.

No plans yet for a larger version. Maybe after I get all the details worked out.
Last edited by ToxicToast; Dec 08, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:33 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,763 Posts
Nice. This one looks like alot of fun. Would it be in cad so I could just laser it out?...............yes I'm lazy.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:10 PM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Toxic...

You can never have too many TomKats, flat foam or fully shapped...

All but one of mine have swing wings though. The only one that I have not tried swing wings on, is my little Aero Aces powered one (those little planes with the differential thrust to turn).

I put the motors on a teeter bar, and used the movement to move the elevons, and it worked.

My little flat foamy TomKats are from 19" to 41" wingspan, and they all balance in the same place (wings out or in) at the "T" pin, just in back of the body (visable in the pictures).

They will be available to be seen at the upcomming AMA convention at Onterio Calif, this Jan. We will have a double booth across from the GWS island.

"We" are the Rouge Squadron, and Bob Reynolds Enterprises. We will have a wind tunnel, or two there to play with also...

I hope the following pictures are of some help... My swing wing TomKats weigh from 4 to 12oz, and all are fun to fly. A couple of them will be at the kit stage by the show.

Bob Reynolds
. ComeUpHere
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob
Old Dec 07, 2006, 01:04 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Updated the plans to include a missing page on the tile version in the #4 post.

Nice work Bob! The swing wing thing is quite nice and I remember studying your AeroAce custom a while back. I'm not aiming for too much on the scale angle, more on the performance angle, hence that is why I am keeping the delta surface mostly intact. This is after having a lot of fun on GPW's design.

Toast!
Old Dec 07, 2006, 01:14 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,061 Posts
Toast , I'm with you .... keep it simple and FAST...!!!!!! Good Luck !!!!

did anyone mention the spare nose ???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 07, 2006, 04:13 PM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
980 Posts
i like the idea of a nose made out of 3 pieces...
Should make it stronger for them nose first landings…
totalywicked is offline Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:59 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Updated plans again. R2 has a slightly taller fuse/nose section which should help with battery placement if you intend to cut-out a hole for it.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 11:04 AM
Salt Lake City
Joined Jul 2003
323 Posts
TT,
Thanks for plans.
Regards/S
Saeed is offline Find More Posts by Saeed
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:11 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Some photos & flight report.

Maidened on Sunday (12-11-2006). WS ~ 8-10mph. Needed a few clicks down to keep the nose attitude. Torque roll on launch so go easy on the throttle until speed and altitude gets up. CG just a little too aft so I added some weight at the battery to balance better after the first flight. Nose reinforcement works really well to help keep the battery from stressing the airframe.

Fantastic flight performance, exceeded my expectations. Rolls very sharp and snappy to the left. For some reason, slightly sluggish to the right (torque from motor?). Screaming vertical, even with a cheapie motor (BM2409-12). Already got a request to cut one for a FB at the field. Elevator is a bit slow to pull up at speed so I increased a bit on subsuqent flights which works better. Its a large delta and dosent want to lift by its nature. Perhaps a future cut will have a deeper elevator surface as well.

High alpha was pretty cool, almost a harrier into the wind. This is not really a ballpark flyer, give it a lot of room cause it needs a lot of sky that it eats up quickly.

3 flights later, I am very happy with this design as it feels a bit more solid after a few flights than GPW's F14. This is definitely due to the longer fuse section and faux intakes reinforcing the wing surface minimizing longitudinal flex. Now to find time to build another to 'pretty up' and aid in orientation.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:36 AM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Are you using an 8x4 or 8x6 prop? (TP 1320, battery?)
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:45 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethole
Are you using an 8x4 or 8x6 prop? (TP 1320, battery?)
I'm using a 7x5e APC prop which is perfect for this motor/battery (1320) config. It amps at WOT to just a hair over the 18amps. I'm using a budget 18amp ESC and it handles the load and barely gets warm after a flight. Same for the motor. I don't have a thermal probe but they aren't much over 90 degrees (75 ambient).
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:14 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
CG is 16 3/4in (42.5cm) from the tip of the nose towards the tail. Its about 7 3/4in from the edge of the top of the intakes towards the tail (197mm). This is based on the 20in WS I drew plans for.

I used two flat plat brass pieces slid carefully under the battery to get the CG to balance without moving the battery any further forward. They are about 6cm x 1cm. I don't have a digital scale to give accurate AUW but I'll try to get it weighed later this week.