HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Still need help...

After crashing and busting both lower blades and the pin on the inner shaft hub I have no power (see post 106). I checked the collar on the inner shaft (thanks That Can Fly) and then took it to the lhs I purchased it from and he said I needed an outer shaft. Replaced the outer shaft and still no power. It cannot leave ground effect.

Can anyone offer insight into this problem? I have determined that the only thing worse than not having a heli is having a heli that cannot fly.
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:54 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
I took mine out again, and had the same experience as the first time. I have a hard time keeping it in a level (let's say 4 feet off the ground) position when I make the transition from hover to forward, backward, or anything flight. It seems to want to go higher when I go into forward motion. I also wish that the left gimbal (gimble?) of the Tx didn't have any notches in it. They are not terrible, but it seems like it would be easier to find a perfect hover if they weren't there. Since I am not a heli man, I know that I may be corrected on that. It just seems that way to me (that's inexperience talking though). Either way, I am having fun with mine. I'm taking it slowly, but hope to have it (general flight) down (for the most part) in a couple of weeks with daily practice.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O,
Remove the cover on your Tx and simply turn that metal throttle tab over(one screw holds it inplace), replace the screw, tighten it up and your throttle "notchiness" is gone...........nice and smooth.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2006
135 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I also used some high quality CPU thermal grease when I applied the heatsinks. I'm sure that makes a huge difference too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazens1
Second heatsink works great with no canopy window. Motors are now what feels like about 100-105 or slightly warm to the touch after a 10 minute flight and the heatsinks are a little warmer than that, probably about 110-115. I had to adjust the trim way back since 2 heatsinks adds alot of forward CG. I might try moving the battery back to recenter. Going to see how it flys at the indoor hobbyplex before making any final decisions. I had to remove the back center fin on the botton heatsink and move the 4in1 unit forward to make it fit which also moved the CG forward.
hazens1 is offline Find More Posts by hazens1
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:40 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
Daddy-O,
Remove the cover on your Tx and simply turn that metal throttle tab over(one screw holds it inplace), replace the screw, tighten it up and your throttle "notchiness" is gone...........nice and smooth.
Thanks for the "heads up"! I'll do that a little later today before I fly again.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:50 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hair
Dribbe, can you give us any more info. about this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611167

Thanks

Not really... The Tx was obviously built with the ability to do CCPM helis and basic aircraft. It is quite normal for MFG's to build future capabilities into products/achitectures.
We flew a BCP with one test version of the LP5DSM to do some checks including range, but the LP5DSM does not have the switches optimized for this, and I don't even know where the CCPM mixing ratios ended up in the shipping tx (was OK for BCP at one point). Not a supported (or 'marketed')feature.

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:58 AM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisCreation
After crashing and busting both lower blades and the pin on the inner shaft hub I have no power (see post 106). I checked the collar on the inner shaft (thanks That Can Fly) and then took it to the lhs I purchased it from and he said I needed an outer shaft. Replaced the outer shaft and still no power. It cannot leave ground effect.

Can anyone offer insight into this problem? I have determined that the only thing worse than not having a heli is having a heli that cannot fly.
Sounds to me like the gears are slipping on the shafts. Check to make sure you can't hold the gears in place and still turn the rotors.
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Dec 19, 2006, 01:13 PM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
No the rotors will not turn while holding the gears.
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
360 Posts
CX2 Flies great out of the box-tail twitchy however ---adjusted gain pot now OK.Put on the heat sink, the motors get pretty hot without. Replaced the shaft(blue anodized top). Adjusted link one turn for good blade tracking(upper). Flies fine with no more mods for me. I fly 5 minute flights-cool down-- and get 3 flights out of a pack. I have 2 other coaxial helis-CoCo Lama, and a Hirobo Lama. So I rotate thru the fleet with no battery issues to date.
Sinbad
sinbad is offline Find More Posts by sinbad
Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:43 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad
CX2 Flies great out of the box-tail twitchy however ---adjusted gain pot now OK.Put on the heat sink, the motors get pretty hot without. Replaced the shaft(blue anodized top). Adjusted link one turn for good blade tracking(upper). Flies fine with no more mods for me. I fly 5 minute flights-cool down-- and get 3 flights out of a pack. I have 2 other coaxial helis-CoCo Lama, and a Hirobo Lama. So I rotate thru the fleet with no battery issues to date.
Sinbad
So, which one is your farvorite?
barnyardflyer is offline Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
phsyco chopper

After replacing the lower blade mount this thing has been a pain in the . If the holder is to high it pulls back and left realy bad, if to far down it pushes forward and right...FINALY got it centered so it will hover stabily (yet it hovers in a circle going clockwise, without tail movement somtimes) and now tail will not stay in place (drift right, somtimes left). The nose keeps drifting right, move the pot, reboot chopper, fixes it for about 1 flight. Every flight requires some sort of proportional adjustment... but, when it works, it flys so nice, worth the effort.
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Last edited by That can fly?!?; Dec 19, 2006 at 10:33 PM. Reason: cause
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:38 PM
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Thanx for the servo info dribbe.

Hey Daddy-O, I've read some mods that involved guys sanding the bumps off their controller and another where they just turn the metal plate over that does the ratcheting (probably a better idea so you can reverse your mod)

I found a strange thing out today - that makes sense but it didn't dawn on me right away..... I have a stove and a washing machine - one on each side of a door way I was trying to glide through and my bird just seemed "so out of trim" because I couldn't get it to work - I tried tonight - higher up - above the stove and washer - and it was much better... then it dawned on me - the wash of air between the two appliances was making it go all over! duh... wasn't obvious and it should have been.

I find mine acting in such a way where as I am increasing altitude it tends to spin one way - when I descend it tends to spin the opposite - like you'd expect a regular single rotor bird to work - hmmm - maybe I'll trim the pot trimmer so both blades come at the same time and also lose or radically eliminate via holes - the 4-in-1 "shell" of plastic.

I wish the landing gear was a bit less breakable and a bit more shock asorbing - I think something wirey like spring steel - as a "connector" ... like 4 springs glued in between the rods that mount to the body and the actual skid might be a mod I'll try - just to it flexs on impact versus the snap skid I usually get...

Jason P Sage
jasonpsage is offline Find More Posts by jasonpsage
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
360 Posts
The Hirobo Lama!!! over 60 flights no problems NO crashes or broken parts.
The CX2 -added heat sink and inner shaft. Only three flights so far-great heli!
CoCo Lama-from Hobby Lobby-- a cheap imitatition of the Hirobo- battery doesn't fit in holder.Not recommended.
Sinbad
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:41 AM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
360 Posts
lights

One of the local flyers of the CX2 has installed lights on his heli. I believe they were from RAM -very bright white,white flasher and red and green. You can easily install them and use the extra channel on the control unit to plug into.
Great for night flying !!
Sinbad
Old Dec 21, 2006, 02:00 AM
Joined Jun 2006
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad
One of the local flyers of the CX2 has installed lights on his heli. I believe they were from RAM -very bright white,white flasher and red and green. You can easily install them and use the extra channel on the control unit to plug into.
Great for night flying !!
Sinbad
any idea on the voltage coming out of the 5th channel? I have a ton of led's.
ApexHobby is offline Find More Posts by ApexHobby
Old Dec 21, 2006, 02:05 AM
Joined Jun 2006
23 Posts
Well i think with the christmas rush eflight is certainly not flying cx2's before they leave. Had a guy buy one yesterday and I offered to trim it for him, he said he could do it and left. Well he was at the shop about 10 min after open today and look very discouraged. He then tells me that the heli wont lift off the ground even at full power. So tried flying it.

The motors were plugged in backwards into the 4in1 so both were spining in the wrong direction. That was sure fun. Once I changed the plugs I flew like a dream. One small pot change and it hovered like a rock. I really love these heli's.

Now if I can just master nose in!
ApexHobby is offline Find More Posts by ApexHobby