HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2007, 11:09 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
My cx2 tail wants to turn right...slightly...I trimed the pot...but can't get it to stop turning right...any advice??...its not real bad but still does it
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2007, 07:45 AM
West-Central Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
trim the pot some more.

It can be done. The thing to
remember is unplug the battery
when you adjust the pot for the
tail mix.

Sometimes, what you see is like
a little twitch and not really a
rotation. This happens when the
gyro pot is set too high

Try turning that down (CC) a
little bit at a time and that
gets better.

jim
jimras is offline Find More Posts by jimras
Old May 05, 2007, 07:55 AM
learning nose in hover
perth western australia
Joined Sep 2006
489 Posts
Curing Constant Yaw To The Right
A common query on Flying sites is along the lines… “my helicopter keeps turning to the left even with the trim tab all the way over to the right, how can I solve this?” Of course you can substitute turning to the right also. This is fairly simple to sort out and these are the steps you need to take.

Your going to make a sequence of small adjustments and then very short test flights to see if it’s cured. Make sure you do this using a well-charged battery.

Conduct a short hovering test flight just long enough to note if the nose turns to the left or the right.

Take the canopy off.

On the left side of the 4 in 1 controller you will see two small white screws,

one labelled GAIN, the other PROPORTIONAL.

Using a fine bladed screwdriver, make a small adjustment to the PROPORTIONAL screw.
If the nose turns left, turn the screw left. If the nose turns right, turn the screw right.
I suggest you make about a quarter turn and then test fly again.
Note, VERY IMPORTANT, you MUST disconnect the battery and re-connect it otherwise you will experience no change.
It needs to re-set itself.
Keep adjusting and test flying until the helicopter holds the same heading without you needing to put any corrections in using the left stick.

Now, this is just my preference, but I now add in a little bit more so that the heli turns very slowly the other way. I then use the trim tab to counteract this when I begin my flight. You will find that the heli eventually starts turning to the left as the battery power begins to drop. Because I have over-compensated I can easily cancel it out with the trim tabs. If I don’t make the extra adjustment, then by the end of a ten-minute flight I find I need to counteract the yaw with the stick as even maximum trim tab will not stop it.

hope this info helps
dingosrun is offline Find More Posts by dingosrun
Old May 06, 2007, 08:38 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
CC I have tried the proportional trim....if looking at the heli from the tail....the tail wants to turn to the right...nose to the left....I have the proportinal as far clock wise as it goes..... does not stop the tail from going right! Everything else is good...I can fly it fine,,,,but I have to use the left stick and push it to the right to stop the tail from going right....errrr
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old May 07, 2007, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingosrun
If the nose turns left, turn the screw left. If the nose turns right, turn the screw right. I suggest you make about a quarter turn and then test fly again.
I'm really quite new to the hole idea of RC Helis, but isn't that statement reverse. If the Heli nose is turning left, you want to turn the screw Clockwise, which is to the right. Likewise, if the Heli nose is turning right, you want to turn the screw Counter-Clockwise, which is to the left. Basically, just turn the screw in the opposite direction the Heli is rotating in order to cancel out the issue. I may be wrong, but I'd like clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
CC I have tried the proportional trim....if looking at the heli from the tail....the tail wants to turn to the right...nose to the left....I have the proportinal as far clock wise as it goes..... does not stop the tail from going right! Everything else is good...I can fly it fine,,,,but I have to use the left stick and push it to the right to stop the tail from going right....errrr
Have you done anything to the Heli? It sounds like one of your rotors isn't spinning up to the correct speed and you've got some sort of binding or slipping. A lot of the time this is caused by incorrect reassembly. Klondikes or Diggy would be the guys to talk to, but something seems to either be binding or slipping. Either the engines are binding, or are too loose, or the blade holder that connects to the outer shaft isn't going through the hole in the outer shaft properly. It doesn't sound electrical, it sounds mechanical. Take a look at everything, completely disassemble if necessary and make sure it's been put back together correctly. There is a PDF on here that outlines all of the necessary steps and is quite good.
EvilSmirk is offline Find More Posts by EvilSmirk
Old May 08, 2007, 12:47 AM
ZAGI 5C - HB FP - HB KING
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
I have to jump in and say, skip the CP and go with an FP. Been there and if I had to do it all over again, I doubt I would even bother with a CP or CPP. They aren't bad helis, but I just don't think they are a good next step from the CX2.

Diggs
Hey Diggs,
I took your advise on getting the FP, I went with the Honeybee Mark 3 after researching the hell out of all the FP's and from what I've read that is the heli to get when it comes to durability, parts availibility and owner reviews. Anyhow, thanks for the advise and steering me in the right direction.
QMAXIMUS is offline Find More Posts by QMAXIMUS
Last edited by QMAXIMUS; May 08, 2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 08, 2007, 05:08 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Also to just ad, When adjusting the pot make very little adjustments. 1/8th" at the most at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSmirk
I'm really quite new to the hole idea of RC Helis, but isn't that statement reverse. If the Heli nose is turning left, you want to turn the screw Clockwise, which is to the right. Likewise, if the Heli nose is turning right, you want to turn the screw Counter-Clockwise, which is to the left. Basically, just turn the screw in the opposite direction the Heli is rotating in order to cancel out the issue. I may be wrong, but I'd like clarification.

Have you done anything to the Heli? It sounds like one of your rotors isn't spinning up to the correct speed and you've got some sort of binding or slipping. A lot of the time this is caused by incorrect reassembly. Klondikes or Diggy would be the guys to talk to, but something seems to either be binding or slipping. Either the engines are binding, or are too loose, or the blade holder that connects to the outer shaft isn't going through the hole in the outer shaft properly. It doesn't sound electrical, it sounds mechanical. Take a look at everything, completely disassemble if necessary and make sure it's been put back together correctly. There is a PDF on here that outlines all of the necessary steps and is quite good.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old May 08, 2007, 06:40 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimras
HI Robert

I shortened the lower blades, too, and I still get strikes.

Maybe it's just too windy to fly.

Have you ever thought about making the lower blades stiffer?
perhaps using packing tape or something on the bottom of the blades?

Of course, you'd have to re-balance them after doing something
like that

What heli are you thinking about for your next?

jim
Hi Jim:

I haven't stiffened the blades at all, but I've seen that suggested here. I really don't get much blade clash.

I truly believe that what we need to understand are the limitations of the CX2, what is was designed to do and how many [of us here] are pushing that envelope Nothing wrong with that, but when it crashes, blades clash or it doesn't move FF for too long, you need to realize that's part of what makes the CX2 so stable!

I love mine. And with the nice weather, I've been able to fly it outside a bit more. But I am getting real anxious to move up. I've talked to Diggs and he's really set on an FP as the next move -- and he has the experience. I'll also visit my local school where there is a bunch of great folks who fly helis every weekend! And finally, I'm doing some ad work for my LHS. He just told me he's building a Heli room, so I'll ask for his suggestion as well.

Hey, have fun flying and have a great day!

Robert

Hey, sorry
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old May 08, 2007, 06:43 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
You know, you re-read your post to make sure your grade school english teacher doesn't pop out of no where and correct your grammar , then you hit submit. As it disappears into cyber space, you see extra words and stuff and realize it's out there for all to see!!!

Above, I have no idea where the "Hey, sorry" came from

Duh...

Well have a great day again!
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old May 08, 2007, 08:15 AM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
[QUOTE=EvilSmirk]I'm really quite new to the hole idea of RC Helis, but isn't that statement reverse. If the Heli nose is turning left, you want to turn the screw Clockwise, which is to the right. Likewise, if the Heli nose is turning right, you want to turn the screw Counter-Clockwise, which is to the left. Basically, just turn the screw in the opposite direction the Heli is rotating in order to cancel out the issue. I may be wrong, but I'd like clarification.

Evil,
You are absolutely correct. You always fly the nose. So, if the nose is yawing right, you turn the Proportional to the left.
NOTE: this is all useless if you don't disconnect the batt before making the adjustment.
Blackjack52 is offline Find More Posts by Blackjack52
Old May 08, 2007, 10:27 AM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon
You know, you re-read your post to make sure your grade school english teacher doesn't pop out of no where and correct your grammar , then you hit submit. As it disappears into cyber space, you see extra words and stuff and realize it's out there for all to see!!!

Above, I have no idea where the "Hey, sorry" came from

Duh...

Well have a great day again!

I can proof and proof. I even use a dictionary for the big words i.e. "hat" and the ever so hard "kat" but it never fails I always catch something after the post is up. LOL

Oh, and my CX2 rocks!
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters
Old May 08, 2007, 12:42 PM
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
I've only got 7 packs through my CX2, damn that charger takes it's dear sweet time!

Anyway, the only problem I seem to be suffering through it over correction and pilot induced TBE. I'm using my Poker Room, with the table broken down and against the wall, but even still the room is only about 10'x10' and I also seem to be getting turbulence affects off of the walls, ceiling, and floor. Is this normal? When I bought the heli, I had the guy at the LHS spool it up for me and take it for a flight around the store in order to try and avoid any issues from the factory since I had read that there were some QA issues that some of the members here had been suffering through, but it was rock solid when he was doing it. Am I not seeing the same flight characteristics because of me being a new pilot, the size of the room, possible tracking or balancing issues after a few not so gentle landings, etc.? All of the above seem to make sense to me, but I'd like a sanity check from a seasoned CX2 owner.
Old May 08, 2007, 01:21 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Not to be insulting but the "new pilot" thing does play a factor.

But hay listen, When I was a kid, my parents tried and tried to teach me to ride a bike on the sidewalk outside our apt. But, all I did was fall over or crash.

One day we went across the street into a industrial parking lot and wouldn't you know it, I got on and road the bike poorly but I road it cause I had the room.

Point is, I find even today if I start big and get smaller and I do better. Do you have a bigger area? When ever I buy something new for the air I always bring it to work first and try it in the wherehouse. Once I get used to it I then try it at home and I do better.

Also I think and I might be wrong but if you have little to no items in the room then the currect caused by the heli could come back and knock you around like a pinball.

Other then that I can't think of anything else to help except, place the CX2 on the foor in front of you and tail to you and try short hops keeping the tail towards you. Gradually getting higher, then just a bit forward and left and right. And it will come to ya!
Old May 08, 2007, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
Unfortunately, the only place I have larger that won't cause the wife to start taking a swing at it is outside, and it's still a bit windy here. Or at least more wind than I'd like.

I don't seem to have a problem trying to keep a hover or trying to correct when things go awry, but it seems like I spend my entire flight fighting currents, turbulence, or some inherent instability in this very stable heli. I have no doubt the instability is not caused by the heli itself, but by either my inputs or effects from the room.
Old May 08, 2007, 02:31 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Well from my experience, even my CX2 needs constant input. It's the nature of the beast.