HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2001
534 Posts
jimras:
You are smart to be careful about over discharging your batteries and your method is a good one. You may be aware that most of the more sophisticated (and more expensive) transmitters include a count down time for this purpose. Do remember that the voltage under load will be lower than the voltage that you measure after you land.
Rob Hair is offline Find More Posts by Rob Hair
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
West-Central Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2007
32 Posts
Rob--

Yes, I know that voltage under load is lower than voltage "at rest"
And, the transmitter that came with the CX2 doesn't have any kind of
timer built into it so that's why I use my watch.

That's why I stop at 10 minutes with this heli

I find that the packs are down to about 7.4 or 7.3 at rest and I think that's probably a safe level to discharge to.

I have three packs so I don't have to squeak every minute out of the pack to fly.

Better to be safe and have the battery last longer, too.

jim
jimras is offline Find More Posts by jimras
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:33 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Can someone please point me in the direction of the blade mod where once done they fold?

thanks.
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters
Old Apr 17, 2007, 01:02 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
706 Posts
Xtreme Motors

I just installed the Xtreme "Stock 180" motors in my Blade CX2.

Must say I was very disappointed! Chopper seemed sluggish and kept turning clockwise, even with full left trim. Before the upgrade it flew well. Is there anything I could have stuffed up??

The upper blades seemed to rotate much slower than the lower ones.

Help!

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Apr 17, 2007, 05:13 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
Hummm? My Extreme motors were fine. No problems. Much more Quiet. Haven't flown it enough to know if I get longer flights yet.

Maybe the upper blade motor is a dud. Maybe the pinion is not contacting the gear the right way. Bearings OK?

Double check everything since you lut it back together.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:11 AM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
First thing I'd check would be the gap b/w pinion/gear.
Blackjack52 is offline Find More Posts by Blackjack52
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:05 AM
Edgewater
Joined Mar 2007
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs
I just installed the Xtreme "Stock 180" motors in my Blade CX2.

Must say I was very disappointed! Chopper seemed sluggish and kept turning clockwise, even with full left trim. Before the upgrade it flew well. Is there anything I could have stuffed up??

The upper blades seemed to rotate much slower than the lower ones.

Help!

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Xtreme "Stock 180" motors were installed just 2 days ago, and I experienced the same as Numb Thumbs. The heli now doesnt have the quick power response Im used to using when flaring for a landing. And contrary to other posts, I find that these motors run rather hot.

Durning My second flight on these motors, I found them to perform slightly better. They may need to be broken in. Im curious if there would be a performance improvement when the silver brushes are installed in place of the stock copper brushes. Has anyone flown the Xtreme Stock 180's on silver brushes?
mobius879 is offline Find More Posts by mobius879
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2007
41 Posts
Installed the motors a while back, defintely longer flight times, the motors gets hot, but the battery doesn't seem to get as hot. It did take some time for the motors to get run in and it's less noisy now, but it's still louder than the stock motors.
yzfr6drw is offline Find More Posts by yzfr6drw
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:36 AM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2001
534 Posts
I'd make sure there is no mechanical binding or other similar problem (did you remove the screws for the lower hub or press the lower main gear too tightly against the upper main gear?)

If you are sure all is right mechanically, you may have a bad motor. These motors should, and on my CX2, do work very nicely. I'm not sure its necessary, but I did break in the brushes by running the motors no load with about 1 to 2 volts applied for a half hour. This was standard procedure in the past with brushed motors - whether it was really needed or not I'm not sure.
Rob Hair is offline Find More Posts by Rob Hair
Last edited by Rob Hair; Apr 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:58 AM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Just some helpful info on Brushed Motor break-in.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
Blackjack52 is offline Find More Posts by Blackjack52
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:26 PM
Edgewater
Joined Mar 2007
2 Posts
Brushed Motor Break In

After reading Blackjack's link to "Brushed Motor break-in", I can now understand why my first flight on the Extreme 180 Motors was not what I expected. Its logical, the brushes were new and had not been "formed" to the round shape of the commutator, resulting in less-than-optimal electrical contact.

Ive had 4 flights on these motors, and can confirm that the throttle response is indeed improving with each flight.

On another note, did anyone else installing these motors have problems with the canopy? It seems that the connectors on the harnessess are much longer than the stock motor connectors, and is now in contact with the canopy. I cant center the canopy.
mobius879 is offline Find More Posts by mobius879
Old Apr 17, 2007, 01:38 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Can't you remove the stock wires from the stock motor and solder them to the new motors?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 01:41 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Never mind about my request earlier about the blade mod.

I went ahead and purchased the aluminum upper and lower blade holders with blades that will fold.

I also purchsed the rest of the aluminum needed to complete the job. I only want to take the heli apart once, I even have the Vortex motors waiting for install!

Pics to come.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
41 Posts
mobius, i just bend them carefully. The Canopy is centered on mine after I bend the wires.
yzfr6drw is offline Find More Posts by yzfr6drw
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:35 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
Never mind about my request earlier about the blade mod.

I went ahead and purchased the aluminum upper and lower blade holders with blades that will fold.

I also purchsed the rest of the aluminum needed to complete the job. I only want to take the heli apart once, I even have the Vortex motors waiting for install!

Pics to come.
Good luck on those blade holders. Allot of people have had bad luck with those & the CX2. If it works well & you have no problems then your next purchase should be Extreme Blades.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut