HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
E.J. Murphy
Omaha, NE
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't, "discharged to balance within 0.1 - 0.4V?"
Or, was the discharge rate 0.1 - 0.4A?

I agree, something doesn't smell right.
N429EM is offline Find More Posts by N429EM
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:03 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Diggs's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Ok, looked through the manual, and it is supposed to charge at 1C. At 1C it should take about an hour to charge that pack. Again, something doesn't pass the smell test here. I am not trying to bust on your charger, I just don't think something is setup correctly, which can be very dangerous for Lipos. I charge all my packs at 1C and after a 10 minute flight, I might be able to get one done in 45-50 minutes. I don't time them anymore, but used to and it was typically 50 mins at best.

Did you notice the rate in which it charged your pack, it should have been at 0.8A NO MORE. Also, I see this is compatible with a balancer, it would be a good investment.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:19 AM
Registered User
flatiron's Avatar
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
Ok, looked through the manual, and it is supposed to charge at 1C. At 1C it should take about an hour to charge that pack. Again, something doesn't pass the smell test here. I am not trying to bust on your charger, I just don't think something is setup correctly, which can be very dangerous for Lipos. I charge all my packs at 1C and after a 10 minute flight, I might be able to get one done in 45-50 minutes. I don't time them anymore, but used to and it was typically 50 mins at best.

Did you notice the rate in which it charged your pack, it should have been at 0.8A NO MORE. Also, I see this is compatible with a balancer, it would be a good investment.

Diggs
Ok I'm going to put the one i just got thru flying. now its cool down from flying. Im not going to discharge, since yall scared the sh.. out of me.Ok I'm entering 7.4v 800mAh 2-cell Li-Po.ok here we go and it has a timer on it. tell ouy how long it took. I'll let yall know
flatiron is offline Find More Posts by flatiron
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:35 AM
Registered User
flatiron's Avatar
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
ok 15min end of charge
flatiron is offline Find More Posts by flatiron
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:41 AM
E.J. Murphy
Omaha, NE
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
Is this charger rewriting the book on charging LiPos?

This sounds incredible.
N429EM is offline Find More Posts by N429EM
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:46 AM
Registered User
flatiron's Avatar
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
8.52v-7.4v=1.12v gain ,800mAh-760mAh=95% end char
flatiron is offline Find More Posts by flatiron
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:52 AM
Registered User
flatiron's Avatar
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
I'm tired, been soldering on and swapping plugs and connectors all day. I'll read back thru the program on the charger and let ya'll know tomorrow. Got to get some rest so i can take my daughter to school tomorrow, it's almost 12:00 here.

Thanks, Sam
flatiron is offline Find More Posts by flatiron
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:54 AM
Registered User
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
I doubt anyone has found a "silver bullet" for chargin LiPos. The chemistry is what it is. Any charge rate greater than .8amp is begging for trouble. Heck, I won't charge over .7, and I put the thing in my oven! Any charger that charges a discharged LiPo in 16 minutes must be using a LOT of current to do it. Are you sure your charger is set to charge LiPos? Other battery types can tolerate much higher charge rates. I shiver at the thought of what amperage it takes to charge a pack 6 times faster than the E-Flite charger, which is about .5 amp.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:03 AM
Registered User
flatiron's Avatar
CLIO,AL
Joined Mar 2007
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2
I doubt anyone has found a "silver bullet" for chargin LiPos. The chemistry is what it is. Any charge rate greater than .8amp is begging for trouble. Heck, I won't charge over .7, and I put the thing in my oven! Any charger that charges a discharged LiPo in 16 minutes must be using a LOT of current to do it. Are you sure your charger is set to charge LiPos? Other battery types can tolerate much higher charge rates. I shiver at the thought of what amperage it takes to charge a pack 6 times faster than the E-Flite charger, which is about .5 amp.
Set on,or read out says, Char LiPo/Li-lon

I don't know,I'll start over tomorrow
goog night all, Sam
flatiron is offline Find More Posts by flatiron
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:40 AM
Angels without wings
USA, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
The FMA cellpro 4 has a setting for a charge rate of 1.4C among others. But even with that setting it takes almost an hour to charge the lipos after flying. It takes around 45mins to get to 95% full and close to 15 mins to get to 100%(no it does not charge at 1.4C for the entire charge). I usually fly till I can not gain altitude and put in over 600mA. Charging an 800mA Lipo in 15 mins I've never heard of it. I would charge in a fire proof or safe box.
RCFlyer55 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:55 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Numb Thumbs's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
731 Posts
And outside the local fire station too...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:04 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Numb Thumbs's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
731 Posts
AeroFly Pro Deluxe

I have been trying - and trying is the word... - to fly a heli on AeroFly Pro Deluxe. I have found the program to be very close to the real thing for fixed wing models - I have a few planes that are available as models on the program - so if that is the case with helis, I don't think I am ever going to get off the simulator and onto the real thing! I'm glad I decided to wait until I had the "Trainer Wheels" before I tried to fly my Blade CX2!

I can't find a Blade CX/CX2 to "fly" so I have been using the only counter rotating model heli I could find, the "micro47g" which is like the heli rescue models I have seen around here in Australia.

I can't get it to hover!!! If I lift off gently it just noses in. If I lift off quickly I can get above the surface but then it always either shoots off forward or backwards or does circles around its tail. Is there a trick to this???? No matter how I trim the Tx, it won't hover!

I'll never know how those Jedi Knights like Svabo do it!

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:47 AM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,502 Posts
FWIW - While it is widely held that charging LiPo's at 1C is the acceptable rule, I find charging them at 0.7C makes them last longer and therefore capable of many more cycles.

Aeronca
aeronca is offline Find More Posts by aeronca
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:22 PM
R U killing the kittens?
artmonster's Avatar
Chaos, UC
Joined Jun 2003
1,585 Posts
Here is my modified CX2 (so far...lol....Im sure Ill mod more in the future).

I made the boom from a carbon arrow shaft and a cut-down round servo horn, and a peice of ABS plastic for the tailfeather.

didnt have to retrim anything when I put the boom on.....I got lucky I guess.
artmonster is offline Find More Posts by artmonster
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:26 PM
Angels without wings
USA, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs
I have been trying - and trying is the word... - to fly a heli on AeroFly Pro Deluxe. I have found the program to be very close to the real thing for fixed wing models - I have a few planes that are available as models on the program - so if that is the case with helis, I don't think I am ever going to get off the simulator and onto the real thing! I'm glad I decided to wait until I had the "Trainer Wheels" before I tried to fly my Blade CX2!

I can't find a Blade CX/CX2 to "fly" so I have been using the only counter rotating model heli I could find, the "micro47g" which is like the heli rescue models I have seen around here in Australia.

I can't get it to hover!!! If I lift off gently it just noses in. If I lift off quickly I can get above the surface but then it always either shoots off forward or backwards or does circles around its tail. Is there a trick to this???? No matter how I trim the Tx, it won't hover!

I'll never know how those Jedi Knights like Svabo do it!

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Did you reconfigure your TX in Heli mode?
RCFlyer55 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer55
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion to buy or not to buy the blade cx2 airhead225 Coaxial Helicopters 36 Jul 10, 2009 12:01 AM
Discussion Blade CX2 Tx's - Can they be adapted to fly indoor/park flyers Sirion Electric Plane Talk 11 Apr 19, 2009 08:52 PM
Question How to program my dx7 to fly blade cx2? topforce Coaxial Helicopters 4 Sep 23, 2007 10:13 AM
Discussion How do I use my ICE to charge my batterys for blade CX2??? webejpn01 Electric Heli Talk 2 Jan 26, 2007 02:02 PM
Discussion How to learn to fly inverted with the Blade CP? Crazyrcer Micro Helis 4 Apr 05, 2006 01:59 PM