HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:20 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,783 Posts
So nice to read your post Tom. Thank you. We have all been there buddy. First flights. Just wonderfull memories. BRAVO!!!!
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:37 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post
Hey Guys,
Its been 6 months since I posted last! Wow, its hasn't been that long since I've flown my CX2, but it has been awhile. I started it up and apparently letting these things be shelf trophies isn't very good for them because my hell took off to the left sideways and only holding the stick all the way to the right made it stop. Thank God my son ducked or it would have nailed him! I landed it promptly and realized the hell was making some sort of electrical twitching noise. Like the motors wanted to run but were waiting for me to give the command. So I shut it off and googled it but couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard of this?
It could be a servo motor twitching, or the gear stripped in the servo. Take off the canopy, and watch both servo motors when moving the right stick around.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflircaircraft View Post
After setting it down,I gave it some rearward elevator and right aileron trim.
On the next attempt it still drifted a bit to the left but stayed level and the tail held well.
On subsequent attempts I held right aileron until it lifted off the floor then I eased off the aileron and it would hold ok with a bit of rocking front to back.
With just the one battery I ran out of juice and will charge it later.
I kinda like this thing and might hang onto it for awhile if for nothing else but to have something to fly on these cold days in NJ

Tom
I'm assuming you were compensating either by the stick or by using the trim adjustment on the transmitter. If you need more trim than what the transmitter is giving you (actually, very little) then you have to adjust the links between the servo and the swash plate. If you watch which way the servo moves when you make the trim adjustment, that is how you need to adjust the link (actually called the servo push rod). If the servo arm moves up, you need to increase the length by unscrewing the end from the threaded rod, etc. Do it at the end of the link that is attached to the swash plate. The link end is designed such that one side of the link pops on the swash ball better than the other. That means you usually have to do full turns instead of half turns.
When I read what you said about an electrical noise, I too thought of a servo twitching.
kodak_jack is online now Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
It could be a servo motor twitching, or the gear stripped in the servo. Take off the canopy, and watch both servo motors when moving the right stick around.
Thanks flyeraroo, hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to get it a shot and see what happens. If not, I'll check it out this weekend, I'll let you know.
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
Thanks KJ, I trimmed it initially with the Tx but as I do with my fixed wings once I had it trimmed with the radio and landed it I trimmed it mechanically by adjusting the pushrods.
This is going to be as addicting as my planes.
Happy Flying

Tom
iflircaircraft is offline Find More Posts by iflircaircraft
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:25 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the CX2 and have purchased one that has the Boomtown hobbies Stage 3 kit.

I got it with no TX and have managed to bind with it using a Devo 10 on Deviation firmware.
I had to reverse the servo travel in the TX to match what the manual says.

I put training gear on it and tried it out and it wants to go forward and to the right almost at a 40.
I tried the trims with little to no success.
I can hold the stick to counter and it seems to have an effect but not much.
It has new gears and shafts.

Could this be a Servo/Swash linkage adjustment need?

Thanks
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Hi, I'm new to the CX2 and have purchased one that has the Boomtown hobbies Stage 3 kit.

I got it with no TX and have managed to bind with it using a Devo 10 on Deviation firmware.
I had to reverse the servo travel in the TX to match what the manual says.

I put training gear on it and tried it out and it wants to go forward and to the right almost at a 40.
I tried the trims with little to no success.
I can hold the stick to counter and it seems to have an effect but not much.
It has new gears and shafts.

Could this be a Servo/Swash linkage adjustment need?

Thanks
Ok, been searching and reading more and found the below and mine is not level as described. I'll be working on that.
===================================
Swash Plate Info: The swash plate should be level when trims are set to neutral. If its not just adjust the length of the push rods as needed. Assuming the heli is put together correctly and the center hub is located in the correct spot there is nothing else to it. The esc will not change these settings, only the trims will.
The left push rod (looking from the rear) controls front to back.
o If you make it longer it will give it more forward authority
o If you make it shorter it will give it more reverse authority.
The right servo controls left and right.
o If you make it longer it will give it more left authority.
o If you make it shorter it will give it more right authority.
reading

I have another though...... In my travels I read of the proportional adjustment and my nose on the smooth kitchen floor with training gear its a right hand twister. The rudder trim will not take it out.

So I look at the proportional and give it some CCW and it gets better.
But thinking I need to put it back until I level the swash I decide to go past where it was in the other direction just to see where it is in its travel. Where it was is full lock CW. ??

This is a used unit so........ but is that normal?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:49 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,743 Posts
The pots are one turn pots = you can turn them until you're blue in the face but all of the adjustment is in one turn. pots also have hysteresis which means you can't go back exactly to a certain spot and get the exact same setting. It takes a LOT of playing around to get them right. Remember, the GAIN is used to hold the tail steady. That too must be done in small steps.
kodak_jack is online now Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:19 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Ok, been searching and reading more and found the below and mine is not level as described. I'll be working on that.
Swash Plate Info: The swash plate should be level when trims are set to neutral. If its not just adjust the length of the push rods as needed. Assuming the heli is put together correctly and the center hub is located in the correct spot there is nothing else to it. The esc will not change these settings, only the trims will.
The left push rod (looking from the rear) controls front to back.
o If you make it longer it will give it more forward authority
o If you make it shorter it will give it more reverse authority.
The right servo controls left and right.
o If you make it longer it will give it more left authority.
o If you make it shorter it will give it more right authority.
reading

I have another though...... In my travels I read of the proportional adjustment and my nose on the smooth kitchen floor with training gear its a right hand twister. The rudder trim will not take it out.

So I look at the proportional and give it some CCW and it gets better.
But thinking I need to put it back until I level the swash I decide to go past where it was in the other direction just to see where it is in its travel. Where it was is full lock CW. ??

This is a used unit so........ but is that normal?
Remember everytime you make an adjustment to the proportional, you need to power down, then power the helicopter back up for the adjustment to take hold. When making a gain adjustment one does not have to power the helicopter down. You have to turn the pot screw opposite of the way the helicopter is yawing. As mentioned use small adjustments when dialing in the helicopter.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I am still not happy. Its now the initial setup that's not right because I have to use massive amounts of trim and still no stability and cannot hover without tons of stick and then its not what you would call a hover.

I have never set one of these up. I purchased it used and have replaced the shafts.

Its the Boomtown Stage 3 kit.

I have the rotor head set screws on the outer shaft lined up with the holes and feel I have it assembled right.

I leveled the servo horns in their home positions.
I leveled the swash as best I could.

Am I missing something?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Guys,

I am still not happy. Its now the initial setup that's not right because I have to use massive amounts of trim and still no stability and cannot hover without tons of stick and then its not what you would call a hover.

I have never set one of these up. I purchased it used and have replaced the shafts.

Its the Boomtown Stage 3 kit.

I have the rotor head set screws on the outer shaft lined up with the holes and feel I have it assembled right.

I leveled the servo horns in their home positions.
I leveled the swash as best I could.

Am I missing something?
Did you make sure the little brass washer on top of the outer shaft gear is in its place ?? (this is something that likes to be forgot when you tear the bird down the first time ... ask me how I know ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:56 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Did you make sure the little brass washer on top of the outer shaft gear is in its place ?? (this is something that likes to be forgot when you tear the bird down the first time ... ask me how I know ...)
Yeh, with the stepped part up. How did yours act when you tried it with no washer.

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Yeh, with the stepped part up. How did yours act when you tried it with no washer.

Thanks
Pretty bad, thats why I am asking (and all I remember ... this is from about 4 or so years ago ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:30 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Well, I have been working with trying to get the swash dead on level and it and its getting better.
I now have the E-flite LP5DSM TX. I got one to make sure the Walkera Devo-10 on Deviation firmware is not the issue. I got it for 40 shipped off eBay and it still had the clear stickers all over it. Nice!

That said, if the trims center points are say, 50, I have the ELE @ 75, the ALE @ 70 and its trying to allow a kind of hover. Allot of it is me getting used to it. I do MUCH better with one on Phoenix RC.

Its coming around.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
I would center all the trim levers (except for the throttle trim) and adjust the pushrod lengths until the helicopter will hover in one spot without much drift. If you are using the stock swashplate squeeze the top and bottom together. They have a tendency to separate after a crash or hard landing. A separated swashplate makes the helicopter hard to handle, and it wants to fly sporadic.