SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
bouncing tail

Great thread ... I've used alot of advice out of here. This may have been answered already but I can't remember ...

I had a pretty good crash into the concrete outside the other day. Broke upper and lower blades and it popped my flybar out (i've removed the screw holding it in).

After replacing the blades and "straightening" my flybar, when I give it any throttle, the tail starts bouncing up and down pretty bad. I can't get a smooth take off if that makes any sense. I've tried adjusting the gain thinking that might have been it with no luck. Any ideas?
wfisher11 is offline Find More Posts by wfisher11
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:02 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
On a "lighter" note, haha, I received my twin 10,000mcd landing lights today - of "Easy Light" type - plugged them into channel 5 on the Rx, armed the heli and switched them on; but when I put the cockpit back I'd left the lights inside with the result shown in the pic - the heli is now called Rudolf!
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:38 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfisher11
Great thread ... I've used alot of advice out of here. This may have been answered already but I can't remember ...

I had a pretty good crash into the concrete outside the other day. Broke upper and lower blades and it popped my flybar out (i've removed the screw holding it in).

After replacing the blades and "straightening" my flybar, when I give it any throttle, the tail starts bouncing up and down pretty bad. I can't get a smooth take off if that makes any sense. I've tried adjusting the gain thinking that might have been it with no luck. Any ideas?
I'm betting it's one or both of two things. First, make possitively sure that the flybar is perfectly straight and can bounce up and down a couple of times freely when flicked with a finger. Twist the flybar linkage back and forth between finger and thumb; it should move freely with no binding. I even apply a very small drop of plastic friendly lube oil to the loop and ball contact points to insure this. Adjust said linkage if your blades are not tracking properly. Secondly, check your blade balance! I use the old coffee mug trick, seems to work OK for me (pic attached.)
CCbusa05 is online now Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
I'm betting it's one or both of two things. First, make possitively sure that the flybar is perfectly straight and can bounce up and down a couple of times freely when flicked with a finger. Twist the flybar linkage back and forth between finger and thumb; it should move freely with no binding. I even apply a very small drop of plastic friendly lube oil to the loop and ball contact points to insure this. Adjust said linkage if your blades are not tracking properly. Secondly, check your blade balance! I use the old coffee mug trick, seems to work OK for me (pic attached.)
Thanks for the tip ... I'll try it tonight when I get home... I'm assuming some liquid wrench would do the trick for lube right?
wfisher11 is offline Find More Posts by wfisher11
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2001
534 Posts
wfisher11:
I'd be careful with liquid wrench. It's not a lubricant - its made for freeing stuff that's rusted together. It could harm the plastic on your heli.
Rob Hair is offline Find More Posts by Rob Hair
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
For lube ideas, see the thread - Aircraft - Electric - Helis > Multi Rotor Helis
Idea Lubing the Blade CX
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:50 PM
Edmond, OK
Joined Dec 2006
225 Posts
Wow! I didn't expect all the attention and the great advice. This is apparently a thread frequented by friendly folks that enjoy sharing with each other. I'll read everyone's comments, links and the PDF and see if I can get started. Thanks very much, guys. I'm sure I'll have questions and also periodic lamentations after each crash (ha).
NitroExpress is offline Find More Posts by NitroExpress
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:04 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Curious if any of you folks are going to SEFF .

I just secured vacation time and booked a room. Would be cool to say howdy to some of you people I have been exchanging info with. It is mostly a airplane gig, but I am sure there will be a few helis. I just want to go spectate, enter raffles, Eat and chill. I might even have an adult beverage or three

Hope to see some of you there. I will have the CX2 in tow, but not flying at the event

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:46 AM
Santee
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
I use the old soup can trick myself works great. and when youíre done you can have lunch. Ha-ha CCbusa I always read your helpful hints and ideas; you have helped me many times to get back in the air.
Tibroc is offline Find More Posts by Tibroc
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:50 AM
Santee
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
On a "lighter" note, haha, I received my twin 10,000mcd landing lights today - of "Easy Light" type - plugged them into channel 5 on the Rx, armed the heli and switched them on; but when I put the cockpit back I'd left the lights inside with the result shown in the pic - the heli is now called Rudolf!
You do have a bright nose there, but you can sure see it in the dark now.
Where did you get the lights? I have been looking for some
Thanks,
Steve
Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:11 AM
Santee
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfisher11

If itís still bad after you do all that, check your lower rotor real close. I was having problems like yours and didnít even see that my lower rotor was cracked. I changed it out and it was good flying again. And if you find nothing there look real close at the main frame where the bearings go in.
Good luck with it.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:28 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Tibroc - go to website - pics and vids in action :

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/EasyLights.htm

This is part of the blurb:

"EasyLights are an attractive, easy to use lighting system for your R/C vehicle. Just plug the light into a spare receiver channel, or use a separate 5V source. EasyLights each have a pair of ultra bright 10,000mcd white LEDs. The lights can be switched on and off by using your radio. If no signal is present or the signal wire is cut, the lights will default to being on."

Weight is 4 grams (0.1oz) & currently at sale price of US$11.99 + $1.00 shipping.

Mine only took 9 days to get to Australia

Just roll the cockpit off the CX2, peel the body back and plug into CH5. Arm the heli and rotate the CH5 knob for on/off - perfect.

There's a vid of the heli properly fitted out with the lights on the forum, but the site has a few vids and some other lighting systems also - like, firefly.

Have a look at the thread -

Aircraft - Electric - Helis > Multi Rotor Helis - Discussion 5th channel dial and Easylights?
Last edited by Sirion; Feb 28, 2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 05:19 AM
Santee
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Thanks Sirion, They look real cool so I order a set. Price is good too sheesh a $1.00 for the shipping very fair.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 05:54 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
I haven't worked out how to mount them because they sit on a small PCB. Probably just cut holes for the leds under the nose and a bit of insulating tape at the rear of the PCB. Needs some thought. Have to keep the wiring clear of the motor gears etc.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
grant me the serenity....
philly
Joined Feb 2007
227 Posts
sirion, the link you gave with the lights also advertises there lipo cutoff, it seems like a good deal and this may be a noob. question but will the lipo cutoffs which reduce power to the throttle work on a heli or do i need to look for one of the audible or led style. Being relativly new I've been playing it safe with my flight times, although I would like to be getting as much as possible out of my batts. if anyone could recomend one. Also is 3.5 grams too much usless weight to add to a cx2? thanks
*rtf cx2 heli - 189$
*extra lipo - 26$
*extra blades - 8$
*forum that tells you how to put it all back together again - PRICELESS
avocado flyer is offline Find More Posts by avocado flyer