HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
A slight breeze might be ok, you just have to test it for yourself. Hard to tell since for some people a slight breeze is a 7-10 MPH wind. I find if the weather channel says winds are light and variable, I might be ok. 5-10MPH gets real doubtful. You certainly want to move the pushrods out before going outdoors!!

Keep it slow and low and your testing. You will find quick, once you get up high, the windspeed very likely picks up after 20-30 ft up.

Diggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight48
Even though I moved the control rod out a hole for forward motion it still stinks even in the slightest breeze!!
Keep it inside buddy!

Pete
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
Avacado, are you sure this is TBE not PIO ( Pilot Induced Oscillation) due to overcontroling then overcontroling again to attempt to fix the first. Just a thought. I did this at first after a similar crash to try to prevent another one
CX2GoBoom is offline Find More Posts by CX2GoBoom
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:27 PM
cincinnati oh
Joined Feb 2007
53 Posts
on the swash plate deal. i finally got mine and is thare any thing i should watch for whin i install it? I got the the lower head too. but i already had to replace the stock one, due to a hard blade stike!!! but i'm shure most have been thare LOL.
fxstse is offline Find More Posts by fxstse
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:39 PM
FNG-4-Life
Bossier City LA
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
1) Make sure your lower hub aligns with the outer shaft screw holes
2) Ensure lower hub upper screws do not bind against inner drive shaft
3) Make sure everything moves freely when you are done
Pondafarr is offline Find More Posts by Pondafarr
Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:52 PM
Edmond, OK
Joined Dec 2006
225 Posts
Just joined the CX2 club this evening when mine arrived by mail. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to test it out tomorrow evening in the garage. I've read the manual from front to back. Anyone have any initial suggestions before maiden flight (other than don't crash - ha)?
NitroExpress is offline Find More Posts by NitroExpress
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2007
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
Just joined the CX2 club this evening when mine arrived by mail. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to test it out tomorrow evening in the garage. I've read the manual from front to back. Anyone have any initial suggestions before maiden flight (other than don't crash - ha)?
You'll love it.. It's my first heli and I can't put it down. Just make sure not to "over heat" the motors and let them cool down in between battery uses...
LoneStarLegendRC is offline Find More Posts by LoneStarLegendRC
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:14 PM
grant me the serenity....
philly
Joined Feb 2007
227 Posts
I wish it was PIO, but I can actually anticipate the TBE and counter it in my living room with small, constant cyclic controlls and get it to calm down almost all the way but as soon as I stop giving cyclic input it starts its clocwise "rotation" starting in about one foot circles opening up to @least two feet before I have to take over. ( small apartment ) This is the first day in a couple of weeks that we have had zero wind and I was looking forward to taking it outside again and giving myself a confidance boost after a few batteries of -puckering cp pro flight. I'm going to double check tonight to make sure all screws line up wit there appropriate holes and that the upper screws on the lower hub arent binding the inner shaft and actually level the swashplate. If that still doesnt fix it i'll just have to leave work early tomorow lol (thats the benefit of being in charge), slink down to lhs and hope someones milling around. It def. isn't PIO though, the crash was thanks to my cousin and since I started wrestling with the cpp I've been having a blast with the cx2.
avocado flyer is offline Find More Posts by avocado flyer
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:21 AM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
Welcome the the world of BCX. You are gonna love it! Soon you will be a full fledged heliholic like many of us here.

Glad to hear that you read the book. Some people are just way too smart and don't need the book. That is why they have no idea that you always turn on the tx before pluging in the heli or what to check on the heli before flying it. There are probably a few people that will read this and say, "Your supposed to turn on the tx first?"

Here is a link to a really good newbie page. Lots of good stuff there. I highly recomment Radd's School of Rotary Flight. It is one of the first links on this page. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618103. I am also attaching a dis-assembly manual put together by aeronuts here at RC Groups. Very nice maual.

Oh, one other suggestion, if you do not have extra blades, get some.

Happy flying.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:47 AM
r/c heli noob
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
138 Posts
Actually, with the CX2 you need to turn the RX on first, but only once! Mind you, that once was enough to have me scratching my head until I found the right section of the manual.
AusGeno is offline Find More Posts by AusGeno
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:38 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Hi Nitro,

You're in for an experience.

Not sure about turning on the Rx first - for first flight.

Mine flew out of the box well balanced and trimmed - the Rx was already bound to the Tx because each heli is test flown in the factory before shipping.

A few things - charge the LiPo up first thing - they only have a holding charge for shipping. It might take 1hr 50 min. but don't get impatient. Order a spare battery also.

Keep the first couple of flights short before recharging again - don't run it to exhaustion initially - try a 3 or 4 min flight first, then a 6-7 min flight next; recharge after each & go the full endurance next time but not so long that the LiPo drops below 6.5V on no load - do you have a voltmeter? - cheap insurance.

Before you fly take out the flybar cinching screw at the top of the shaft. It's a tiny screw so put a bit of sticky tape around it and then place it somewhere safe. You're bound to hit something during first flights and this way the bar will pop out and save you damage.

To ease the pain of startup - specifically the period during which the system arms and the gyro sets itself - you can do it this way as recommended by another thread - works a treat and gives you unlimited time to set the heli down before arming itself and setting gyro: Before turning on the Tx shift the throttle to mid travel, throttle trim can be mid or fully down, then turn on the Tx and wait for the red LED to go solid. Now plug in the heli battery - the red Rx LED will light but the heli will not arm - it's OK! Set the heli down at the launch spot - take your time.

Go to your Tx - make sure that the girl friend, spouse, cat, dog do not fiddle with the sticks in the meantime! Now pull the throttle back to minimum (also the trim if it's not also back) and watch the Rx green LED now start to blink. When it goes solid it's time to fly.

You will see a small reference in the manual to the effect that the 4in1 won't arm unless the throttle is at minimum - that's why the above works - but it is not described as a way of prelaunch procedure.

When the battery is nearly down the heli will barely hover, it's better to stop flying when it no longer climbs ( I think Klondikes said that) - so that's when you stop flying and give it a rest.

Let the motors cool before flying again - and, I recommend fitting the optional heat sink. Let the battery cool before recharging also.

There are a lot of other things to do as you progress in experience and need to mod but the above will help you start.

Happy flying.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:00 AM
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
Nitro, I have found that above all, Stay Calm and use small control inputs especially roll, in my experience roll is the easiest axis to overcontrol and seems to always start a cycle of overcontroling that often ends in a trip to the LHS . Also once you get good at hovering and start into foward flight control the nose of the heli. If the nose is drifting and under its own control it is harder to select the proper TX input because you are less aware of the exact orientation of your heli because you didn't acually make it that way, it did it on its own.

Also if you plan on sticking with it for a while (longer than 2 weeks) I suggest that you go ahead and buy a stock replacement swash plate, innershaft with plastic head, lower rotor head, a set of landing skids, and a couple packages (not pairs) of rotor blades upper and lower because these are all things that most people who are E-Heli noobies break within the first few weeks. It saves you a trip to the LHS and also allows you to fix the damage when the inevitable happens at 9 o'clock on a saturday night and you have only been flying for 2 minutes, break something, and have to wait till monday to get parts. All these parts together cost less than $40 and can save a good night of flying (trust me there have been many times I would have given $40 for one of these parts but I guess I'm just a junky)

Check the balance of your blades. I purchased a small digital scale from the tobacco store (wonder what they used it for?) and weighed each blade to ensure that each pair top and bottom are the same weight by triming a little at a time off the end of the blade until they are the same weight. This little tid-bit of information is something I found out the hard way and caused many problems before I knew any better. There are other ways to balance blades that you can find on this forum but this way seems to work the best for me so I stick with it. Also after trimming the blade use a girly nail sander board thing to round off the trimed edges because they will cut your shins, and arms, and hands, or so I have heard

These are just a few things that I wish someone had told me when I got started I hope that it helps you avoid some of the trouble that I had good luck and remember my mantra "If crashing gives you experience you'll be an expert in no time"
CX2GoBoom is offline Find More Posts by CX2GoBoom
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:24 AM
Australia
Joined Jan 2007
14 Posts
I have got my heli back after the 4in 1 failed after 2 battery charges and all is well.EXCEPT I had a miss hap I took it outside as my son was doing his homework and I didn't want to disturb him there was no real breeze and I was in a sort of a protected are of the drive way as I slowly moved up the driveway to a more open area a gust of breeze caught my heli and of course the it had a small blade strike (my first) and it clipped the edge off one of the top blades but no other damage other then that I had also bought extra blades when I first bought it so slipped on a new blade and had a check and another battery charge and all is sweet.I'am just waiting on the batteries to recharge now and let her cool a bit.
Whats a Normal length of time roughly for batteries to take to recharge? I have charged them about 3 times now(I have two batteries), as soon as I feel the lift drop I shut her down and recharge so as not to drop them to low.
"AussieE"
AussieE is offline Find More Posts by AussieE
Last edited by AussieE; Feb 27, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:24 AM
r/c heli noob
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion

Not sure about turning on the Rx first - for first flight.

Mine flew out of the box well balanced and trimmed - the Rx was already bound to the Tx because each heli is test flown in the factory before shipping.
Mine wasn't bound when I got it, and the RX needs to be turned on first for the binding process.
AusGeno is offline Find More Posts by AusGeno
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX2GoBoom
Also after trimming the blade use a girly nail sander board thing to round off the trimed edges,,,
Just one more special tool to keep in my toolbox, a "girly nail sander board thing".

Nitro - Some outstanding advice being given above from sirion and CX2GoBoom.

AussieE - Charging the LiPo will take 1.5 to 2 hours.

Happy flying everyone.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:10 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
AusGeno: That is interesting because page 16 (Control Test) of the manual suggests that whilst the heli is test flown at the factory, it's a good idea to test the controls prior to flight in case there has been any damage during shipping.

Perhaps test flights are not always conducted under the control of the particular Tx that comes in the box.

the control check is covered on Pages 17-19 and requires the cockpit to come off and the motors unplugged so that the servos and linkages can be checked for direction, along with checking the Tx dip switch positions - all time consuming stuff when you're itching to fly.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion