Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:34 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
You don't need to "nip" nothing off. Just move the weights in.

That's only if I'm thinking what your thinking. You just may want to go back to that spot

Mike.
Yep that's the thing to do. Thanks
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:22 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Even though it's a different heli, I have an Esky A-300 converted to a Lama 4 that gives me all kinds of fits because no matter where I put the weights, it porpoises. I've had them at the stock 6 1/2" and all the way down to 4 1/2" and it still does it. This heli came with a full fuse I really liked, but it was a giant PITA to work on because of it. When I got it, it was so tail heavy that on lift off, it would want to flip over backwards. It's my first heli that was that messed up out of the box. Luv, if you have a solution other than the adjustable flybar weights, I'm interested. As it is right now, the thing is useless.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Even though it's a different heli, I have an Esky A-300 converted to a Lama 4 that gives me all kinds of fits because no matter where I put the weights, it porpoises. I've had them at the stock 6 1/2" and all the way down to 4 1/2" and it still does it. This heli came with a full fuse I really liked, but it was a giant PITA to work on because of it. When I got it, it was so tail heavy that on lift off, it would want to flip over backwards. It's my first heli that was that messed up out of the box. Luv, if you have a solution other than the adjustable flybar weights, I'm interested. As it is right now, the thing is useless.
My CX3 drove me crazy with its porpoising also. I installed the Xtreme blade grips, blades, motors, a shorter flybar and a larger battery and now it flys great with no porpoising at all.
So I can't say which of the above upgrades corrected the problem, although I'm inclined to believe it was a combination of the above.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
So i wanted to take a second to say hello and introduce myself. I just got my first larger in size Heli a couple weeks ago and it has quickly become my new favorite hobby. i posted this thread in a different sub forum sorry for the repost just wanted to introduce myself to you guys.

A little bit of background. I used to have this awesome but very cheap indoor micro heli that i got from Bed Bath & Beyond (whatever the beyond is) but yeah i got really good at flying that around my house and decided i wanted something more fun. I asked one of my friends to point me toward a good heli to move into. He told me which one and i let the wife know that was wanted for Xmas. WELLLL that being said the heli i got was a collective pitch Blade SR. After trying to fly it once and only getting it like 3 inches off the ground i decided it was WAY to advanced for what i needed. The heli was sold to a hobby shop a couple weeks ago.

SO i decided after talking with the guys at the shop to pick up my Blade CX2. After a couple days of playing with it i needed to make a couple upgrades to it out of need..i may have crashed once or twice.

After doing a lot of reading and looking at the exploded view in the manual i felt that i had the grasp of how everything went together and came apart. I found the small hard to twist screwdriver a very big pain so i ran over to Harbor Freight and picked up a set of electronics screwdrivers. Much better!

So i ordered a bunch of upgrades i felt i needed and went to work. Here is the pics of how everything went.

SO MANY LITTLE PIECES!!!!AHHHH

And done for now!

Tonight I ordered the CNC Swash Plate the CNC Lower Rotor Head and the CNC Outer Shaft bearing- All ordered from my local hobby shop down the street. Im all about supporting local business and hobby shops are a dying breed.

The last thing i ordered tonight because i toasted the plastic body was this:

Im not sure about it because it said that i need to use all of the landing gear and battery tray that come with the body but i want to see if I can use the CNC one that i already have.

Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, suggestions always welcome!!
D.Yoder is offline Find More Posts by D.Yoder
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:38 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
The Aero-Nutz motors have large cooling vents in the motor can. All of the heat generated in the stock motors gives shorter flying times and eventually takes out the motors. The very first thing you need are Xtreme upper and lower blade holders so the blades can pivot in a crash and not break. One-piece canopies are a royal PITA when it comes time to work on the heli.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yoder View Post
So i wanted to take a second to say hello and introduce myself. I just got my first larger in size Heli a couple weeks ago and it has quickly become my new favorite hobby. i posted this thread in a different sub forum sorry for the repost just wanted to introduce myself to you guys.

A little bit of background. I used to have this awesome but very cheap indoor micro heli that i got from Bed Bath & Beyond (whatever the beyond is) but yeah i got really good at flying that around my house and decided i wanted something more fun. I asked one of my friends to point me toward a good heli to move into. He told me which one and i let the wife know that was wanted for Xmas. WELLLL that being said the heli i got was a collective pitch Blade SR. After trying to fly it once and only getting it like 3 inches off the ground i decided it was WAY to advanced for what i needed. The heli was sold to a hobby shop a couple weeks ago.

SO i decided after talking with the guys at the shop to pick up my Blade CX2. After a couple days of playing with it i needed to make a couple upgrades to it out of need..i may have crashed once or twice.

After doing a lot of reading and looking at the exploded view in the manual i felt that i had the grasp of how everything went together and came apart. I found the small hard to twist screwdriver a very big pain so i ran over to Harbor Freight and picked up a set of electronics screwdrivers. Much better!

So i ordered a bunch of upgrades i felt i needed and went to work. Here is the pics of how everything went.

SO MANY LITTLE PIECES!!!!AHHHH

And done for now!

Tonight I ordered the CNC Swash Plate the CNC Lower Rotor Head and the CNC Outer Shaft bearing- All ordered from my local hobby shop down the street. Im all about supporting local business and hobby shops are a dying breed.

The last thing i ordered tonight because i toasted the plastic body was this:

Im not sure about it because it said that i need to use all of the landing gear and battery tray that come with the body but i want to see if I can use the CNC one that i already have.

Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, suggestions always welcome!!
When I see a CX/2,3 sitting like that in pieces, it makes me wander if the helicopter went together properly. I'm mainly talking about someone new that hasn't had much experience with assembling the helicopter. A couple of things that come to mind is the brass step washer that goes on the outer shaft, and sits on top the gear. The step of the washer must be facing upwards to ride against the race of the bearing, which is located on the bottom of the frame. It's happened to me years ago after changing out the outer shaft for a new one the shaft was thrown, and so was the washer. It's easy to forget, and the washer sometimes will stick to the bearing, so when you changed to a different frame it may still be with the old frame. I'm not saying this happened, but it could, and has to me. Another thing is the outer shaft collar that sits below the swashplate, it to must go on the correct way so it rides against the bearing in the top of the frame column. If either of these items are on incorrectly they will cause some binding, and the friction will cause shorten flight times, and wear on parts. Just a little heads up reminder to check when assembling the helicopter.
edit: just looking at the picture of the plastic lower hub, it appears the knobs or pins that hold the blades on have broke off. That's the nice thing about the cnc parts!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Last edited by flyeraroo; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
That was actually one of my concerns so I did some research and also taking pictures
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
As long as we're talking Eflite and you showed us your screwdriver set, my most valuable piece of tooling is my Eflite #00 Phillips screwdriver. Until I got it, I figured a screwdriver is a screwdriver, but I really like this one. I also got a long and a short 1.5MM Turnigy hex driver that are handy. If you order them from Hobby City now, you can have them as an Easter gift! Again, their U.S. Warehouse is a Myth. It's an empty building.
While that heli is apart, you need to do the credit card mod so you can put any battery you want under the heli. Then, you need a CX-2 police front canopy and a Boomtown boom or make your own using a boom bracket and a piece of CF tube.

Xtreme boom bracket $2.93 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1461

Pivoting blade grips $10.95 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4675 You need upper grips and lower ones.

Shotened Flybar $10 http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomT...4_p/bth009.htm

Eflite Blue Police Front Canopy $7.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-EFLH...item3f1b9893c2
(You can peel off the decals so you have just a nice blue canopy) Hop Me Up is a good dealer too.

Hey, guys, look at this! This is a pretty darn good deal for a complete boom kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-Blad...item43ae39993b
It's going to cost you that much to cob one together out of a bracket and CF tube and all the other little stuff that goes with it. Paint it black before installing and you're all set!! Even the S&H is good.
I wish we could sticky this info and more on here.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Credit Card mod? Link to thread or explain please
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,901 Posts
Quote:
Credit Card mod? Link to thread or explain please
You'll need a flat plastic card such as a credit card. Try to find one without raised print.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,901 Posts
I re-designed the receiving side for maximum grab..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10194
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
:thumbup:
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I re-designed the receiving side for maximum grab..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10194
I failed to notice that multi-million dollar aluminum battery tray he has. The credit card mod would put that into the parts bin, BUT, would open him up to a variety of batteries, including the Rhino's.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Multi million dollar battery tray?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:32 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Multi million dollar battery tray?
Don't you have one of the MicroHeli aluminum battery trays? To do the credit card mod, you clip off the U-shaped pieces that normally hold the battery. In the case of batteries that are a little wider than the stock ones, the Velcro can hold them whereas the U-shaped pieces prevent them from going into the opening.