SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
BUT, the radio needs to be replaced with a programmable one to fine tune your settings. Maybe that is part of your problem. I had to mess with my gyro settings and some other stuff to get it flying 100%. I guess with the gyromixer, because you can go back to the computer to change things, you might be OK. If you're using the coaxmixer, you need a programmable radio to get things correct.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:02 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,974 Posts
Quote:
I guess with the gyromixer, because you can go back to the computer to change things, you might be OK. If you're using the coaxmixer, you need a programmable radio to get things correct.
not correct, the coaxmixer too can be adjusted by connecting it to a computer... it has the same full set of functions built into it which allow to adapt the system to any non-programmable Tx which the gyromixer has... it's only that to my knowledge these had not been used so far... since sonnier has the USB TTL adapter from his gyromixer, he could also connect the coaxmixer to a computer and see these adjustment possibilities

EDIT: here a link to a photo of the setup program: http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/coax-mix...rconfig-wp.jpg

EDIT: I can't know what has happend in your case, but I do not agree that in general you need a programmable Tx even if the coaxmixer would NOT have these adjustment possibilities... the only thing you need to do is to calibrate the ESCs, but this can be done with all of them. I did fly my coax with a non-programmable Tx with a coaxmixer in standard settings and it did much much better than any combo. Of course, having a programmable coaxmixer and/or Tx allows further fine-tuning, but that's really more like the cream on the cake and not an absolute must - at least in the majority of cases.
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Last edited by OlliW; Nov 06, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:59 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
I also laugh at the wind and it only costs me about 60 bucks. No PC's to calibrate my heli, no messing with gyromixers or whatever, just put it together, trim and fly. It's a $89.00 coax guys! My $130.00 BNF 120SR would fly circles around you'all. And that is completely stock!

Don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge anyone trying to upgrade and mod an aircraft to make it perform better but, there is a cut-off at some point where one has to say..."enough is enough." Just MHO. You can put perfume on a pig but, it's still a pig

Well, you Guys have fun with whatever you're doing...excuse me while I go fly

I think I'm beginning to sound like Barak1001

Mike.

PS: Anyone want to buy a 120SR? Dang thing is way too fast for me...
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
Hi you guys got the part I was waiting for to finish with my GA250 coax mixer and it all worked until the crap rcfly junk gears up guess i"m go back to xtreme parts. It's a xtreme upper head for lama that I can get that will give a +12mm to keep down blade strikes?
and yes JK the raido is going too. What is the going opinion on the Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter with the rx9 upgrade?
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Last edited by sonnier00; Nov 06, 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:23 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Should work I would think? And hate to say this Mike, my new CX setup is much faster than the upgraded 120SR I just custom built for someone. Stock config the CX's pretty much suck.

Sonnier, my blade spacing is just a tad over 2 3/4 in now. I use E2s grip stiffeners and usually only get blade strike when doing full swash tilt pumps sideways while stabbing the throttle. Usually doing super tight high throttle fig 8s when it transitions from one high bank to the other. But my swash has more angular movement and I run out on the 4th servo arm hole. I usually get strike about every two to three flights now as I am highly aggressive. What is odd is I am still on my same extended inner shaft as I was running this last spring. Just cannot seem to bend this thing. Even though I have destroyed several sets of blades, grips, canopies, cf booms and skids.

I would kill to have a vid cam right about now. I let a friend of mine fly it who has tons of hours flying a fully modded 2s brushless CX3 and this one rattled him. And none of the guys at our last heli meet could believe this was a coax flying in front of them. Still a far cry from my dual swashed version or my double brushless mcpx though.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Should work I would think? And hate to say this Mike, my new CX setup is much faster than the upgraded 120SR I just custom built for someone. Stock config the CX's pretty much suck.
And also for the V4. BTW, I too, like the Phase II stiffeners AND also their plastic blades. A great match up

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Sonnier, my blade spacing is just a tad over 2 3/4 in now. I use E2s grip stiffeners and usually only get blade strike when doing full swash tilt pumps sideways while stabbing the throttle. Usually doing super tight high throttle fig 8s when it transitions from one high bank to the other. But my swash has more angular movement and I run out on the 4th servo arm hole. I usually get strike about every two to three flights now as I am highly aggressive. What is odd is I am still on my same extended inner shaft as I was running this last spring. Just cannot seem to bend this thing. Even though I have destroyed several sets of blades, grips, canopies, cf booms and skids.

I would kill to have a vid cam right about now. I let a friend of mine fly it who has tons of hours flying a fully modded 2s brushless CX3 and this one rattled him. And none of the guys at our last heli meet could believe this was a coax flying in front of them. Still a far cry from my dual swashed version or my double brushless mcpx though.
OK now your throwing me a new one what dose E2's grip stiffeners look like. I have done some mods to my swash to give more angular movement too and run on the 5th hole on my servo a little much but its working. I need to try and talk to E2 and see if he will let go of one of his outer shafts. I found the lower head that you all have suggested it's a little pricey but it would be worth it I thank. Just to ask has any one ever some up with a three blade grip? I have a Kamov KA58 stealth body that is a full size coax heli. It was to heavy to use with the xtreme pro 180s I was using, that's what started on the brushless project in the first place.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
Olliw or Luv I got some tail twitching. I had the rate gain set at 1.70 then 1.23 and did not see much differences whats your suggestion?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
I guess you don't HAVE to have a programmable radio, but it sure beats running back and forth to the computer to get it set up. I know it's a hobby and we all like to tinker around, but as Mike says, you reach a point of "diminishing returns". How much money are you willing to spend on a cheap heli for what you're going to get out of it? There is also a frustration level you reach where something that should work doesn't and the BFH comes out.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I guess you don't HAVE to have a programmable radio, but it sure beats running back and forth to the computer to get it set up. I know it's a hobby and we all like to tinker around, but as Mike says, you reach a point of "diminishing returns". How much money are you willing to spend on a cheap heli for what you're going to get out of it? There is also a frustration level you reach where something that should work doesn't and the BFH comes out.
Yes your right in my case I live in a 42' park model trialer so no flying in side, no one will allow us to fly in any gyms or wearhouse close to me so I fly in my yard but any way. Have any one got any thing bad to say about that x9 radio?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:44 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
I don't know anybody on this thread who has one.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,974 Posts
E2 .
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:27 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
E2 .
well, now that the "cat is out of the bag" ... if anybody wants my 2cents, my personal 9X beans are spilled here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599028

(however, ever since the conversion, which is absolutely awesome ... just kind of way over my head ... I have not used it that much because I cant find what it takes to LEARN this TX now (all at the same time)

Best thing about my 9X is that it controls almost every bird I have ... (except the walkeras - but for that is the 2801Pro and the Devo10 ... which could by now also be united into one "house" - so according to what I read about the newest developement on the TX front it absolutely WOULD be possible for me to fly absolutely ALL my birds with only 2 TXs!!
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
And that boys answers why the programmable tx rules. Not to mention the preset slider memory that doesn't have to be set every time you boot up the heli.

sonnier, not sure about the tail twitch? Lots of things can be happening here. Not all related to the gyromixer or even a vtail. Sometimes even the body flex or boom flex can overwhelm the best gyro also. The Gyro itself isn't the best one out there to be certain. I have noticed a tendency for it to work much much better with stiffer bodies and more tail mass myself. Even better yet when I use lower lift blades and get the headspeed even higher.

Plus with Olli's programming parameters there is more to adjust than simple gain.

KJ, in answer to a post a page back. I doubt that this gyromixer or any of the vtail systems we have played with will ever become available in a kit form. For one everyone involved is doing this for the love of the hobby. Not for profit. Which would most certainly raise the price accordingly. Even in bulk buys. The shipping costs massacre the outcome and raise the costs to the point where even in the last few pages we can see an overt resistance to spending much $$$ on this. Everything I did and OlliW did was aimed at the do it yourself'ers that wanted to pursue the mod trail.

If we can think about this for just a second from another point of view also. Take for instance a deal I just got cleaned up just two months ago. I had a friend send me his heli from Bankok for a brushless upgrade. With a set budget. I had it flying well at my end for his purposes in an OlliW vtail config using the eflite e110 gyro so he could play with gain settings on his Dx6i on his end to tune the heli for his climate and flying. Each of us fly at a different level. he had numerous issues related to the fact he simply couldn't figure out how to tune the system! The heli came back. Damaged of coarse.

Due to an inability on his end to master the heli it came back. Got a mechanical end upgrade also. The plastic body just wobbled too much for it to work with the original E110 piezo gyro. So now it got an extended shaft, gear upgrade, tail upgrade, skid upgrade, blade upgrade, canopy mod, and the Ga250 was installed. Then a Microheli frame was added into the mix.

So now I had shipping costs from HK, and various other manufacturers to assemble the heli. Return shipping, and to him shipping both ways. Plus at least 20 hours of tutoring on my end, not to mention the "all free work" I did to assemble the heli for him and diagnose it three times. Now it flew wonderfully, but his skills improved and he found himself now flying outside. Blade strike ensued. And the resulting crashes actually shorted out one of the motor wire leads. Back it came again.

Now, multiply this effort by ten. Which is about what happens when a guy begins to produce these in kit form. No one of us has the ability to test fly each system before it goes out. And the gyros, esc's, motors and such can have flaws that are unseen. So the user gets it and has a bag of worms that someone has to diagnose long distance. Saying this is extremely difficult is a vast understatement. This doesn't even include the huge learning curve a new guy has to master on his end when setting up a functional system. Then that functional system is assumed to run on his dysfunctional heli. Those problems of coarse are blamed on the system, and not his setup work.

So, only those guys doing this for a fair profit have the genuine motivation to provide kits. They either have to cheapen up the product as WowHobbies has done. Or charge accordingly. Which puts the kit way outside most guys ability or desire to own. So the CX2/3 and Lama owners will forever either have to do this themselves, or buy what is basically crap that is currently offered on the market. Pretty much how this is going to stay from what I can see too.

I also watched this happen on Olli's threads when he was just trying to help and guys were hopping on with problems that he didn't create. Or had no direct control over. Imagine that on his end this fairly large effort was also produced for free. So if Olli doesn't have a huge ego or financial gain to motivate him. Why would he continue trying to help out when all he gets is static for his efforts from some corners?

So, sadly most the guys with functioning brushless kits will have to do their own work for the most part. I doubt this is going to change.
LMH
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:30 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,986 Posts
oh, and just as a little side note:

put one of the RX for the 9X into a V4 and flew it with the 3in1 part of the stock V4 4in1 ... requires a bit of tweaking, but (since they use the same channel order for the 9X as they use by Esky) its practically a plug and play thing ... well, as far as I remember anyway - since I got the mCPX and later the nano, I am not really finding time for the coaxes anymore ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...