Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:38 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,132 Posts
The shafts E2 has are the best outer coaxial shafts I have ever seen. But you will have to either machine flats or drill holes.

But the Skytek hubs cure all that. They are fully adjustable, even the upper support collar.

Next, the Carbonfibre issue. The problem with either the outer or inner shaft is that cf isn't manufactured to handle any twist. So when you get going the shafts begin to splinter. Plus wherever the set bolts for the upper/lower head or gears seat they damage the cf and they come loose. Not to mention wherever the shafts seat into bearings they quickly chafe and wear out.

I even tried cf with my flybars and servo links, but found they were brittle. I also used it to create inner shaft spacers when running extended shafts, they split. Even when treated with CA glue.

Again, I have more wrecks than I can possibly count since I was testing out and trying virtually every variation of every mod ever done. And E2's outer shafts were brilliant. In fact, I still fly the second one I ever bought from well over 2 years ago. They are a far far cry from the flimsy factory or xtreme versions. I would even pick them over the skytecs. The worst ones I ever used came from RcCriveds terrible stuff.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
well thats why I'm here on the form to learn from the best. I would like to find some titanium but I don't have that connection any more if i would have know i would have got some. How can i get some better shafts? i have found inter shaft mat. the push rod from a tail boom. I just need two long shafts E2?
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnier00 View Post
well thats why I'm here on the form to learn from the best. I would like to find some titanium but I don't have that connection any more if i would have know i would have got some. How can i get some better shafts? i have found inter shaft mat. the push rod from a tail boom. I just need two long shafts E2?
No problem as far as I am concerned ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,411 Posts
on the other hand using carbon shafts has become standard for microhelis...

there are defenitely different types of carbon material, some do splinter easily and some other do rather feel like a piece of rock... (e.g. the boom support rods of the TRex Sport )
so, at least for the inner shaft I would think that it's "just" a matter of finding the right rods

staying with metal, the very best inner shafts I ever had are ejector pins... and I have never seen any shaft which would be harder, more flexible, and more precisely manufactured than them
(I mentioned them a before but in the US they seem by some reasons not to resonate well LOL)
(and I still have a bunch because then I bought them I bought ten or so but since then, depite many crahses, never actually had to replace a single one... LOL)
OlliW is online now Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,672 Posts
Ollie, do the ejector pins come in 2MM? You'd have to abrasive cut the head of the pin off and then just put flats on either end. I bought oil hardened and water hardened shafts from MCS. Their catalog of products is HUGE! Again, cut to length and add flats. Both are easily done with a Dremel or Dremel-like tool and wheels. I've looked in various industrial/ machine shop supply places and did not find suitable outer shaft material. In most cases, the wall thickness was too thin. When I had my CB-100 palm size FP heli, we bought stainless steel tubing for booms that was considered to be hypodermic tubing from Small Parts.com.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,411 Posts
Quote:
do the ejector pins come in 2MM
the ones I bought did, you actually could choose among many thicknesses, lengths, head forms, material qualities
the ejector pin idea isn't mine, it was suggested some time back in a German forum by someone, and I bought what he suggested
length was though a bit of a problem for some, because the store didn't carry lengths long enough for these extreme extended shaft constructions (wasn't a problem for me since I never used extended shafts)
as you said they can be easily cut to length and flattened with a Dremel
there are likely many other sources/applications/types of equally hard&flexible shafts used in industry, but I wouldn't know
OlliW is online now Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
E2 got any spare outer shafts ?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Quote:
Sven, I thought you flew Xtreme outer shafts

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Sven, I thought you flew Xtreme outer shafts

Mike.
... I flew those too Mike, back in the day - but there is no denying that the extended "OEM" shafts (which are only about 3 or so mm shorter than the "official" extended shafts ... like the Skytec or helipal or whatever those were ...) and they are significantly thicker (ie larger wall thickness)!!

And once you got the skytec lower head (and even better if the adjustable upper bearing holder too) to use them is easy as 123 ... the skytec lower head holds on any outer shaft (as you know) and the upper bearing holder makes it perfect(ly adjustable) ... and they work fine with the Xtreme outer gears ...

(there was a time long ago where I tried to sell those as complete sets ... but hardly anybody really wanted this type of kit (I think I totally sold 2 or 3 ... over the whole time ... ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,804 Posts
Quote:
As I said, "as far as I am concerned, no problem" ... still got some left from my not too successful venture (mentioned above)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
E2 what is the overall length you used? the shaft i'm using is 127mm long
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,804 Posts
Quote:
E2 what is the overall length you used? the shaft i'm using is 127mm long
110mm (but I can adjust that to be about 5mm more thanks to the adjustable upper bearing housing. so it is still about 10mm "shorter" than your "solution", but it had proofed fine at the time ... (flyrivesud made outer shafts about your length - and when I tried them I felt this was over the top ... but thats just me ... other peoples mileage may vary!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:53 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,672 Posts
To get around the outer shaft problem when trying to achieve greater separation, you can use an Xtreme "extended" inner shaft. Xtreme "extended" shafts are not truly extended, though. They achieve the same thing by using a stock length shaft but with a taller upper head. The problem with some of them, however, was that they were drilled slightly off center. With slightly more weight and a touch more length, they can bend more easily where the flat is for the head to attach up on top. I think the option you might like to try is to use a bad outer shaft section (whatever length you need to go with your extended inner shaft) as a spacer. You can cut an outer shaft in many different ways but make sure you clean up the burrs or rolled edge so there is no interference with the inner shaft. You eventually get to a point of diminishing returns. What inner shaft length is the ideal length, we may never know.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
166 Posts
Evidently I'm in the minority here by not using an extended shaft in my CX2 or CX3.
Since I got rid of the stock blades, installed the blade grips with the viper or Xtreme blades, the shorter boomtown hobbies fly bar and Olli's GA250 gyromixer, I have been flying since this Spring and have yet to experience a blade strike and that includes my CX3 without the Gyromixer using the stock CX2 4-in-1. Using the stock inner and outer shafts just haven't been a problem for me. Maybe my flying style has something to do with it as well, but whatever, I won't deny that and extended shaft is good insurance to have against a blade strike.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
blade cx2 help!

i can't seem to find a way to trim my helicopter to fly corrently its brand new i just got it and it wont even fly forward or backward left or right and it just hovers all the time i want my controls more sensitive so i can at least achieve forward flight . the led status light is green as it should be but what's wrong i can't seem to be able to trim it.?
jochavez24 is offline Find More Posts by jochavez24