HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
OlliW's Blog

KJ I have been reading OlliW's blog it has been a lot of help. Google translate may not be doing a good translating but it has a lot of info. Thanks for the lead.
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
I think you have to go by his blog because he shut down the thread he had going about his mixers.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I think you have to go by his blog because he shut down the thread he had going about his mixers.
Yeah, there was a guy posting up who repeatedly ignored all his advice whining and he just shut it down. He has moved onto other projects using the Ga250 on 450 sized cp helis, plus he has also been working in the software mcpx world. Busy guy! I still have all the software he provided to burn these mixers. But it is a long arduous process to crank one out. It actually takes a full day soldering somewhere around 5 layers of different harnesses into the Ga250 board and reprogramming its base settings to take the new firmware. Darned brilliant work to get this done I might add. Every time I do one of these it stresses me to the wall. Just one wrong move and it is over.....
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
I realize the whole thing is brilliant, but there has to be an easier way to accomplish the same thing. There has to be a mixer that will work with that gyro that just about anybody can handle. WOW sells a kit that doesn't have that stuff in it. I think the larger motors and ESC's are a great thing, but it shouldn't be such a big deal that it keeps guys from doing it. There has to be a combination that would work with the DD or Hobby King mixers. We don't need perfection, just something that is reliable. I still don't understand why our first attempt to go brushless on my heli didn't work. There were many others before who had that combo working.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I realize the whole thing is brilliant, but there has to be an easier way to accomplish the same thing.
KJ I did find a KKMulticop​ter Blackboard V5.5 ebay $25 that can be programed to fly coaxial heli. It has it on gyro built in. The draw backs or its a little big for sport canopy and needs to be programed. You can find them preprogrammed for a little more money. I got one on the way to try in in my cx if it works good I am going to use it in a quadcopter.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Good points. Also you would think the DD mixer or one of the cheaper Vtail mixers would work. But as of yet I am unaware of any of Dans mixers that will work with a memms gyro? I tried them and none would work. Then the cheaper vtail mixers dont have enough throttle calibration/resolution ability. Part of the reason our first version failed was we couldn't get more than 60% throttle out of any of them. So it takes a modified arduino board or the Blackboard to work effectively with a decent memms gyro signal. That right there bumps up the complexity and cost.

Larger motors aren't as much of an issue as we can only spin up the fp blades so fast. Although I am in favor of a lower KV torquier motor running more efficiently in the useable rpm range we use. But havent found an affordable one yet. Other maybe than the ones Sven has been sitting on forever? Hint hint.......
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:08 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
@KJ:
A first issue is essentially economics... it's possible (IMHO) to provide a reliable p&p kit... however, no one would pay the price for it... so, all what is available commercially is may-or-may-not-work type of stuff. It would e.g. be a piece of cake to produce the DIY mixer I suggested at the same cost as the DD mixer or even much lower, but who would do that now for coaxes as the heli market shifts to fbl rtf helis and quads? BTW: you are one of the few world wide who owns a runs-for-all mixer. A second issue is what is what one expects by "reliable". Your first setup is an excellent example. Luv has choosen it very well, it has appeared over time as a kind of defacto standard... so, one could call it reliable on standards such as the WOW kits etc... yet it fails sometimes (and unfortunately for you)...

@Luv:
you are a bit exagerating, the GA250-based gyro mixer can be done within few hours (I myself got the time down to 1 1/2 h), but I totally agree, it's not a freshmans thing, the issue is indeed, as you said: "Just one wrong move and it is over..... "

however, for the Arduino-based coax mixer things became quite simple (and that's the thing KJ is using if I am not mistaken)... and it should be quite doable for anyone with basic soldering skills

@sonnier00:
I am convinced that you will find the Arduino-based coax mixer to be much easier (and cheaper) to build and use than the KKMulticop​ter board... anyhow, good luck with the KKMulticop​ter adventure

my 2 cents (as E2 would say)
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Oct 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
@sonnier00:
I am convinced that you will find the Arduino-based coax mixer to be much easier (and cheaper) to build and use than the KKMulticop​ter board... anyhow, good luck with the KKMulticop​ter adventure

my 2 cents (as E2 would say)
That is a good 2 cents Olliw as I am learning more about DIY electronics it's not only about economics but flying time too for me. I do like Arduino equipment I will be using and expanding to GPS, OSD and the works. I am look forward to the when I may have achieved just some of the endless possibilities that is possible with Arduino. The help you have done on your blog is bi-far the most complete info I have found and with your permission I will be using some of your info and methods as well as picking your brain for info. I do love the hobby, this new technology is an adventure.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
As I have said before, Ollies mods and innovation have actually transformed the way we do coaxials forever. And Olli, speak for yourself. Just plodding through one of these does consume a day for me give or take. As I double check each step and have three screens of RgGroup (OlliW) threads, your blog (in horrible translated english I might add on my end) , and of coarse the programming screens. I hate, just hate one missed type ,. letter, or when you do everything correct and it still bounces you back and have to retype all that code. Which is by far what takes the most time. Slow typers like me. The soldering work I blew right through. But I have been doing that part for 30 years.

But I have to admit I havent done one with the new system yet. I had no reason to as no one has had me build one in a while since you and Sven offered so many to the guys that wanted them this last year. And I still had some spares to burn through. But I am finally out. So, I bet it still takes me about 4 hrs to plod through one just takin me ole sweet time.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
The quad market is through the roof, but for those taking baby steps or those who just prefer coax's, a good brushless set up is still desirable. The most important part is good documentation. This will be VERY intimidating to most and diving into program downloads, etc. might just put it over the top. The average guy isn't just picking up his heli and flying, he is building and tweaking. I had a friend who was into model trains and, because of it, he developed an electronics knowledge and nack that suited his interests, but it came slowly and with a LOT of patience. There are a zillion and one things that can be done with the Arduino chip. There needs to be a good Arduino breadboard or whatever you'd like to call it, for experimenting and programming at a low level. Radio Shack is one of the places that sell the Arduino and they used to sell all kinds of learning kits to develop your skills. Maybe such a thing exists, but it has to be simple enough that guys can start out with baby steps and progress slowly.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
On a different note, anyone here want to pick up an incredible deal on a totally blinged out CX? For $100 this is insane.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=451561
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
On a different note, anyone here want to pick up an incredible deal on a totally blinged out CX? For $100 this is insane.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=451561
Holly Bat crap Man Luv, you had to post this and my V4 is flying like crap
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
No activity in quite a while.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
I think everyone is hanging out in the quad section.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,142 Posts
Doubt I will ever bother with a quad myself.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy