HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
Wait.............nevermin d
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
935 Posts
The gear is for the SR. They were out of the mcx(2) and only had a Blade 450 left on the shelf, which is way out of my league right now. My mother is with us on vacation and she told me she wasn't leaving the lhs until I picked out a new heli. How can you say no to that?
The guy working said he would remove the TX if I wanted a BNF. I wonder if he would switch out the HP6 for the Dxi6 if I paid the difference. It's worth a shot anyway.
eolson is offline Find More Posts by eolson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
The gear is for the SR. They were out of the mcx(2) and only had a Blade 450 left on the shelf, which is way out of my league right now. My mother is with us on vacation and she told me she wasn't leaving the lhs until I picked out a new heli. How can you say no to that?
The guy working said he would remove the TX if I wanted a BNF. I wonder if he would switch out the HP6 for the Dxi6 if I paid the difference. It's worth a shot anyway.
"ALL" RTF Blade 450 COMES with a DX6i. Watch this guy....careful Print this out and show him. Right from Horizon Hobby:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rtf-BLH1600#t1

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
935 Posts
I was talking about the SR, not the 450. The SR comes with a HP6DSM, and that is the one I was thinking of having switched out for the DX6i.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
I was talking about the SR, not the 450. The SR comes with a HP6DSM, and that is the one I was thinking of having switched out for the DX6i.
LOL...read your post wrong. Are you sure you don't want that 450

Mike.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
935 Posts
As much as my heart might want that 450, my wallet and brain know better.
What will I gain, besides multiple model memory, by having a DX6i? Also, hoping to find a key chain camera at some point.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:16 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
As much as my heart might want that 450, my wallet and brain know better.
What will I gain, besides multiple model memory, by having a DX6i? Also, hoping to find a key chain camera at some point.
Take a look at this thread. Really super Read the first couple pages before posting a question.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56994&page=516

Mike.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:48 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
I hate to steer you in a completely different direction, but look at an MQX also. It is about as stable as they come and quads are the new wave for the future. The number of posters on the multi-rotor forum is phenomenal. Put a McDonald's clear dome drink cup top on it and it's virtually indestructible. As with other flying machines, a DX6i is very good to have so it can be used for multiple flying "things" as well as to fine tune what you're flying. In the case of the MQX, you tone it down until you feel you can handle it.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
Alright guys so I'm jumping WAY late into this game. I know the cx is series has now been out for like 30 years , but it even now still seems to have a solid following of people still flying and modding. Last week there was a cx3 on the forums that had been switched out to the tail boom set up with cx2 canopy. It also had a few other minor upgrades, which weren't specified (will see today when it arrives), but it's supposedly a great flyer and it was cheap, so I kind of just made an impulse buy. Hadn't been looking for one, but when I saw it thought it would be fun to have something a little bigger to throw around in larger rooms. I'm more a plane guy but have had mcx's, msr's, cb100 and currently have a mcx2 for some fun sitting in the recliner flying around the room stuff.

I have done some reading of this thread but as usual when you get in the game this late it's hard to catch everything and try and remember it with there being so many opinions.

I am not looking to bling this heli out (not my style), nor am I looking to drop loads of cash in it. It's an older co-ax heli that I got for cheap and I understand that and want to keep it just a nice casual flyer. However I would like to possibly make a few changes to it and wanted your input.

I know there are some of you on here (ahem Kodak_jack and luvmyhelis etc) that have tried just about every option.

First I know that many have moved to the collapsable blades with it seeming like most are using the xtreme setup. Is this the best set up or is there another set up that works just as well, and I think my main concern is will it eventually be hard to get a hold of blades with this type of set up.

The second thing is I'd really like different skids. It seems like there are tons of options out there for that. I'd like something that will hold up well, but not add too much weight. To be honest I am going more for looks here so something that has a more agressive look than the stock toothpick looking lg.

The other two things are appearance related:

I'd like to try a different canopy. On ebay there is a cf canopy that I think looks cool and was wondering if anyone had tried it.I've also seen the HK 200 series ones, but I was wondering if they effect flight due to weight/heat issues. I have looked at boomtown and they have a few decent ones. Really like the look of the HK ones, so something maybe similar in appearance. I've owned the xtreme ones, but not really looking to paint, please direct me to any others that would look less toyish then the stock one.

The other thing is I would like to add a led kit for some low light/night flying. The only problem is I haven't seen a led kit installed on a cx with the boom kit and was wondering if anyone had done that or had pics.

That's pretty much it. Once again not looking to really add all kinds of aluminum bling, however if there are any upgrades that you feel are a must to improve the helicopter let me know.

I will possibly at some point purchase the xtreme 180 motors, but for now I will just enjoy as is. The upgrades I already mentioned will cost more than I paid for the heli itself. lol

Also I am sure there are many of you that have tons of parts for these laying around or just gathering dust, so if you have something that I mentioned and are interested in selling let me know and I might buy it.

Thanks for the help since I know I'm jumping in to this one pretty late.

Looks like the boom on mine is ESP boom kit which seems to be not as well made as the v4 boom.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Last edited by jlcamp7; Aug 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Alright guys so I'm jumping WAY late into this game. I know the cx is series has now been out for like 30 years , but it even now still seems to have a solid following of people still flying and modding. Last week there was a cx3 on the forums that had been switched out to the tail boom set up with cx2 canopy. It also had a few other minor upgrades, which weren't specified (will see today when it arrives), but it's supposedly a great flyer and it was cheap, so I kind of just made an impulse buy. Hadn't been looking for one, but when I saw it thought it would be fun to have something a little bigger to throw around in larger rooms. I'm more a plane guy but have had mcx's, msr's, cb100 and currently have a mcx2 for some fun sitting in the recliner flying around the room stuff.

I have done some reading of this thread but as usual when you get in the game this late it's hard to catch everything and try and remember it with there being so many opinions.

I am not looking to bling this heli out (not my style), nor am I looking to drop loads of cash in it. It's an older co-ax heli that I got for cheap and I understand that and want to keep it just a nice casual flyer. However I would like to possibly make a few changes to it and wanted your input.

I know there are some of you on here (ahem Kodak_jack and luvmyhelis etc) that have tried just about every option.

First I know that many have moved to the collapsable blades with it seeming like most are using the xtreme setup. Is this the best set up or is there another set up that works just as well, and I think my main concern is will it eventually be hard to get a hold of blades with this type of set up.

The second thing is I'd really like different skids. It seems like there are tons of options out there for that. I'd like something that will hold up well, but not add too much weight. To be honest I am going more for looks here so something that has a more agressive look than the stock toothpick looking lg.

The other two things are appearance related:

I'd like to try a different canopy. On ebay there is a cf canopy that I think looks cool and was wondering if anyone had tried it.I've also seen the HK 200 series ones, but I was wondering if they effect flight due to weight/heat issues. I have looked at boomtown and they have a few decent ones. Really like the look of the HK ones, so something maybe similar in appearance. I've owned the xtreme ones, but not really looking to paint, please direct me to any others that would look less toyish then the stock one.

The other thing is I would like to add a led kit for some low light/night flying. The only problem is I haven't seen a led kit installed on a cx with the boom kit and was wondering if anyone had done that or had pics.

That's pretty much it. Once again not looking to really add all kinds of aluminum bling, however if there are any upgrades that you feel are a must to improve the helicopter let me know.

I will possibly at some point purchase the xtreme 180 motors, but for now I will just enjoy as is. The upgrades I already mentioned will cost more than I paid for the heli itself. lol

Also I am sure there are many of you that have tons of parts for these laying around or just gathering dust, so if you have something that I mentioned and are interested in selling let me know and I might buy it.

Thanks for the help since I know I'm jumping in to this one pretty late.

Looks like the boom on mine is ESP boom kit which seems to be not as well made as the v4 boom.
Here is the place where alot of people shop for upgrades.
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/category_s/9.htm
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Speaking of Boomtown Hobbies, has anyone ever used their bearings?
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/product_p/bth008.htm

Helidirect has been out of stock for 100 years now and they show no "ETA". I'm pretty sure my bearings do need changing. I won't mind putting out the extra dough if "good" bearings does make a difference. What say you Guys? Thanks.

Mike.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:26 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
First off congrats jlcamp7 on your new heli. Yes the xtreme folding grips are the best ones out there. But it is almost as easy to transplant a plastic lama folding grip setup on there for 1/5 the cost if bling isn't your thing. And yeah, I ran a carbonfibre canopy on one of my dual swashed versions for a while and loved it. I just remembered that it is still sitting on my dresser gathering dust. lollz. And the addition of the HK canopy did add some wieght as it is a fiberglass canopy so if you plan on keeping your motors stock forget about that one.

And as far as skids go I hated the stockers with a passion, that was the very first thing to go bye bye on mine years ago.

Good luck with this heli and it will be fun to see where it ends up.... Lmh.

P.s.. chap, I found a great supplier of ceramics for our Cx's at a fraction of the cost.....
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Welcome, jlcamp. I went for a brushless set up only because we were without the Aero-Nutz motors for so long with no sign of them ever coming back again. Now, they are available and a very good choice. The large vent holes make a world of difference in keeping things cool. The brushless flies great, but it's something that can be put off for quite a while. The pivoting blade grips, however, are a necessity. Dealing with the stock blades is a giant PITA! I have many Xtreme parts that I've used and only about 1/2 are still on my heli's. Their canopies are a good price and are very durable. I have the HK 250 size canopies and they tend to be stiff and heavy whereas the Xtremes are very light and flexible. The only thing is, they have to be painted or dressed with stickers. If you look at the Boomtown stuff, the indestructible skids are very good. I have not used lights on anything I fly. I hope you enjoy your new heli and report back on your progress. I have tried many different heli's, but am the most comfortable with coax's. I fly in my yard and that's good enough for me.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:57 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
Thanks guys for the tips. Truly appreciated. I will keep the updates coming.

Luvmyhelis if you want to sell the cf canopy let me know. also I'm sure you've been asked a million times but can you link or direct me to modding esky grips for use on the cx?

Kodak. I agree with you. I started on an mcx, the had msr, then cb100 and back to an msr and now I have an mcx2 and this cx3. I could fly the fixed pitched pretty decent but I find just cruising around with a coax is much more enjoyable. I'm more into planes so I'm not looking to always advance my skills in helicopters. Just looking to have something different to fly.

By the way when I opened up the package the fly bar was a little bent up. Tried to straighten it as well as I could. But knowing that's one of the main parts to effect the flying ill be changing it out ASAP. I've been looking at the BTH sport/pro one and also the v2 led one. Do you guys have one you prefer or should I just stick with stock?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
P.s.. chap, I found a great supplier of ceramics for our Cx's at a fraction of the cost.....
Cool. Are those like the Boca bearings I see advertised on the RCG pages? I did a little reading up on ceramic bearings and they do sound superior than the steel bearings. Do you have a link and/or Cat.# to fit my V4? I would need the full set of four. Thanks Guy

Mike.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
I couldn't wait on a new flybar. I took the cx3 for a maiden this morning and all I can say is wow, what an enjoyable helicopter! I planned to try and not really put any money into this heli, but I have a feeling I will be selling one of my plane projects in order to get this heli to my liking because it's such an enjoyable heli to fly!
After flying all of the micro's and then coming to this it was incredibly stable and it was a blast feeling like I was flying something solid in the air versus the micro's where it feels like you are pushing a leaf around with air.
I took it up and didn't even have to trim it out (that's just luck), but I did have to bring it down quickly due to my controls being reversed. So I just reversed them on my Tx, took it back up and had a blast for the next 5 minutes. It was nice to just fly and immediately feel comfortable vs. feeling like it's another heli that's going to be my next challenge in learning to fly. I have a large fellowship hall at the place I work so that's where I took it to fly. Not that I'm trying to impress other people with it, but it will also be nice to feel like I have something more substantial. Even when I would bring my msr in that literally had every upgrade imaginable from rakonheli including a few that were never produced (I got the opportunity to test all of Mr. Rakons products for the msr), people would say oh yeah we got my son one of those for his birthday, or I've seen those at the mall. It kind of got annoying after a while trying to explain this wasn't a airhogs/brookstone heli.

Anyway, I definitely see me wanting to put a little into this one to make it mine. The only things I didn't like immediately were the loudness of the motors and how hot they got (knew to be expected) and the shaking of the boom which I also knew to be expected (plus I'm sure getting a new flybar will help as well).

So I'm pretty sure I will be moving to the aeronuts motors. From my understanding they are even quieter and run cooler than even the xtreme motors. I know they're not quite as powerful, but it was plenty fast for me stock in doors.

I think what impressed me the most was that with flying nose in and doing circuits this thing could really get moving. With the micro coax heli's I found I always had to keep the heli moving in a slow climb in order to keep it building momentum and then always get a pendulum effect when pulling out of it. the cx3 didn't feel like it ever wanted to level out as long as I kept the nose pointed forward and it didn't slow down until I chose to make it slow down. Really, really enjoyed it!

So if anyone has some spare aero nuts 180 motors laying around or once again any other things you might be interested in selling let me know and I might buy. I'm having a hard time finding the 180 motor's online so if anyone has a link let me know. Everyone seems to be out of stock. I remember a big thing a while back about someone trying to get a new shipment in.

Also if anyone is interested I'm probably going to sell this boom kit I have (which is in perfect condition) and pick up the v4 kit. It's a $35 plus shipping boom and I'll sell it for pretty cheap or trade for a v4 boom. Thanks