Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Fitting the new xtreme blade grips...no instructions but I think that I figured out how to install the upper grip. The lower grip is a puzzler. Does the lower grip mount upside down?
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
I think that I have the grips installed correctly now,Geez good thing I'm an engineer lol
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,698 Posts
The part you're doing with the grips is mechanical. If you're electrical, don't touch any tools!!!
We've gone through this a very short time ago, but here goes:
The flanged bushings go over the rotor head pins with the flange toward the inside.
The bottom half of the grip is put in place and the U-shaped pieces go over the bushings and are secured by tiny screws. This makes the lower half stay in place while also capturing the bushings. Do not over-tighten the screws so they don't strip, but tighten them enough that they are secure. A touch of LocTite or even a dab of clear finger nail polish might be nice so they don't back out (nail polish just on the head of the screws, not on the threads).
The top half of the grip is now held to the bottom as well as securing the blades by socket head cap screws that require a 1.5MM Allen wrench.
You should have new links that connect the lower blade grip to the swash plate. The X goes to the outside.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The part you're doing with the grips is mechanical. If you're electrical, don't touch any tools!!!
We've gone through this a very short time ago, but here goes:
The flanged bushings go over the rotor head pins with the flange toward the inside.
The bottom half of the grip is put in place and the U-shaped pieces go over the bushings and are secured by tiny screws. This makes the lower half stay in place while also capturing the bushings. Do not over-tighten the screws so they don't strip, but tighten them enough that they are secure. A touch of LocTite or even a dab of clear finger nail polish might be nice so they don't back out (nail polish just on the head of the screws, not on the threads).
The top half of the grip is now held to the bottom as well as securing the blades by socket head cap screws that require a 1.5MM Allen wrench.
You should have new links that connect the lower blade grip to the swash plate. The X goes to the outside.
The lower grips did not include any new links...I'm using the original links. What do you mean "The X goes to the outside."
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,894 Posts
I believe what Jack means is that the link has a mark (X) that indicates that, that is how the link goes on (facing out). Also, put the "X" so it is on the top for good measure. It will not go on with the "X" facing inward. Look at the link very carefully. On some helis the link goes on only one way. On other helis it will go on either way....like the V4. Did I just say "V4" again

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Jul 20, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:36 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,149 Posts
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Reading this thread got me interested in flying my CX2 again. This is still one of my favorite parkflyers. You can actually get some pretty good speed with these helis on a calm day with the right mods.
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:42 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
I did not get any new links in my lower blade grip package...am I missing them or do you buy these separately?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawk View Post
I did not get any new links in my lower blade grip package...am I missing them or do you buy these separately?
I didn't get the links with my new lower grips either - originally. Then, they (Miracle Mart) realized their mistake and sent them separately. They OWE you those links and may be able to rectify the situation by sending you a rebuild kit/ spare parts kit (BCX301-P) that has links in it. You cannot use the stock links as they are too short. Get them off NOW so they don't ruin the grip.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFiend View Post
Reading this thread got me interested in flying my CX2 again. This is still one of my favorite parkflyers. You can actually get some pretty good speed with these helis on a calm day with the right mods.
What in the world is going on between the upper bearing cup and the upper rotor head? Is that something that was available at the time or did you make that? It looks like a custom made inner and outer shaft.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:13 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,698 Posts
Xtreme Boom Bracket

I forgot to post a picture of my boom mounted to an Xtreme boom bracket. There is a nub sticking out the back of the bracket that I originally had an aluminum tube sticking off of. I had a little boo boo and cut that nub off flush. I then removed the two rear-most screws and drilled it out to accept a 5MM CF boom. Luv has done the same thing. You can then add fins if you want. No need for a zillion dollar boom set. Sorry if the picture is a little fuzzy, but you get my drift.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,149 Posts
Yes, I did the same thing quite a few years ago and never looked back. All my coaxial builds with Cx frames use this now. This is the very first one I did. Super cheap.

Extreme hub. $3
4.5 or 5mm CF rod. $3
HK CF 250 stabs. $4
Although my first one used current 450 CF stabs I had laying around.

Here is an easy step by step with 4.5mm cf tube, no drilling required. Ca glue and a dremel to cut the CF tubing. Now I epoxy the halves and use smaller stabs. No boom supports are needed as this thing is rigid. Tough, and light. Also I use shrink wrap now under the CF stabs to anchor the screws and eliminate the stabs from vibrating. I also now use different canopy's and skids. The only tricky part is to remember that on CF frames to add a small spacer on the battery tray stud the rear lower boom support goes over to make both sides even. You can clamp the halves together a dozen different ways. Even using rubber bands.

They actually froze my thread over at HF when I did this build. The mod thought it was too aggressive. It was the first brushless mod ever seen over there.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:35 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Jack,
My extended shaft has an actual piece of black plastic attached to the shaft. I ordered it online about 4 years ago, so I can't remember where the heck I got it.

Quote:
What in the world is going on between the upper bearing cup and the upper rotor head? Is that something that was available at the time or did you make that? It looks like a custom made inner and outer shaft.
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:22 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,698 Posts
That sounds like a HeliTek extended shaft. I've never had one and they're out of business now.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,894 Posts
Quote:
That sounds like a HeliTek extended shaft. I've never had one and they're out of business now.
I think Leethetreeguy will make you some. You'll have to ask him..

Mike
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012