SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 12:11 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Chap1012; Just a followup to our earlier posts. I was able to get the dip switch working on that helicopter transmitter and donated that plus, two HZ Super cubs, 1 PZ F-4u corsair, 1PZ BF109, 1 Blade CX2, and one Blade MCX all with transmitters. The school sent me the wonderful thank you letter below. Thanks again for your help!
Bill
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
I got my stuff from Hong Kong today. Installed the extended inner shaft no problem. The old one was bent as hell. Now I am trying to figure out how to install these grips on the hubs as there were no instructions in the package. I don't know which side is the top side. Should I use the new links that came with it? If so, does the "X" printed on the link go on top or on bottom? How do they actually fit or get on to the blade pegs? Do I need to completely diassemble the lower hub(upgraded aluminum) to install them?
The upper and lower halves look the same except one has tapped holes for the screws to go into while the other has clearance holes that the screws slip through. The caps are bushings. The bushings slip over the posts on the hub. Put the bushings on the hubs and then put the two halves together so they capture the bushings and install the screws(screw heads facing up on the top piece) to secure it all together. I'll look around for the instruction sheet, but I don't think I kept it. We just talked about the links(post 7127), and yes, the new ones are longer and you MUST use them. The links are symmetrical, but put the X on top anyway.
Did you make sure the inner shaft gear's screws were tightening on the flats of the shaft? If not, the whole inner shaft assembly will go flying out the top!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Thanks for that!
I ended up figuring it all out last night. And while I had it apart, I put both push rods back in the first hole on the servo arm. The initial flight after installation I had to throw the elevator trim all the way forward and the aileron trim all the way right. I have since shortened the elevator and have it at no trim and no stick movement. However, after shortening the aileron trim by 3 turns I still have to trim right and stick right (just a tad). How much shorter can I go on the aileron push rod?

Patiently Waiting (for battery to charge),
Ed
eolson is offline Find More Posts by eolson
Old May 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Oh and I did find some half-arse instructions on line to reference while figuring out how to install the grips.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Chap1012; Just a followup to our earlier posts. I was able to get the dip switch working on that helicopter transmitter and donated that plus, two HZ Super cubs, 1 PZ F-4u corsair, 1PZ BF109, 1 Blade CX2, and one Blade MCX all with transmitters. The school sent me the wonderful thank you letter below. Thanks again for your help!
Bill
Bill, Thanks for sharing the letter. My help was only a drop in the bucket compared to what you did for those kids. Truly inspiring,,,...your post really made my day (refer to post 7156; Page 478). God Bless.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that!
I ended up figuring it all out last night. And while I had it apart, I put both push rods back in the first hole on the servo arm. The initial flight after installation I had to throw the elevator trim all the way forward and the aileron trim all the way right. I have since shortened the elevator and have it at no trim and no stick movement. However, after shortening the aileron trim by 3 turns I still have to trim right and stick right (just a tad). How much shorter can I go on the aileron push rod?

Patiently Waiting (for battery to charge),
Ed
Ed, here is a tutorial on swashplate leveling. "Klodikes Swashplate Leveling Tutorial." Scroll down a bit..look for "Tuning."
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727689

Mike.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:53 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,827 Posts
Mike, I wish I had a dollar for everytime you have posted that link!!! hahahahaha. I'd be rich by now. hahaha. Your a great soul, and I am proud to call you my friend. Atta boy!!!
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Ed, here is a tutorial on swash plate leveling. "Klodikes Swashplate Leveling Tutorial." Scroll down a bit..look for "Tuning."
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727689

Mike.
I read that, printed it off, used it. That's how I found out about shortening/lengthening the push rods to begin with. Would I be doing myself and my heli a disservice by not using a swash plate level?
Again, how short/long can you make the rods themselves before it's overkill or stops being effective no matter how many turns there are?
Old May 10, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Quote:
I read that, printed it off, used it. That's how I found out about shortening/lengthening the push rods to begin with. Would I be doing myself and my heli a disservice by not using a swash plate level?
Again, how short/long can you make the rods themselves before it's overkill or stops being effective no matter how many turns there are?
You don't need a swashplate leveler. First and four most get the swashpalate 90 of the main shaft and base of swashplate. If you view your swashplate from the rear, side OR any angle, your swashplate should look 90 to the main mast. Mine is a bit tilted forward but, lets work on your "sweet" spot. As a noob it took me some time and a lot of patience getting the swash plate right. Piece of cake I can do it by eye now

Mike.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Mike, I wish I had a dollar for everytime you have posted that link!!! hahahahaha. I'd be rich by now. hahaha. Your a great soul, and I am proud to call you my friend. Atta boy!!!
Lee
When I was a noob someone passed that off to me. I printed it out, went to the VFW hall with a fist full of stock blades and just did it. BUT, I did it

Mike.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:23 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Except for getting the thread originator to do it, I don't know how you sticky important stuff on a thread. It gets old in a hurry having to type the same ol' over and over again. That's why I keep a spreadsheet of the parts I use, so I can copy and paste them into a posting. It got a lot easier on us when we were able to sticky information on the Honey Bee thread. Everybody went to a direct drive tail motor but there were umpteen ways to mount it all up. Telling guys to refer to page #1 for all of the options in a separate linked area was nice.
You only need to level a swash to "close is good enough" standards and then fine tune it from there. When it came to my A-300 the swash sure looked level and the CG sure looked good too, but it would stand up on its tail on lift off until I fine tuned it.
Don't go nuts on mod parts until you can fly half - way decent or you'll be changing expensive mod parts instead of stock parts.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
I am not happy with returning the push rod back to the first hole, at least with the elevator. I have fixed my top blade tracking and will be working on the bottom blades today. Regarding the swash plate, I will keep working at it to get it as level as possible.
Off topic here....but are the police and military replacement bodies made of the same plastic material? Is there anything out there more rugged?
Last edited by eolson; May 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: punctuation....:)
Old May 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Bill
Wow, that was WAY nice and generous of you! I think my eyes watered a little....
Good Job!!
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old May 12, 2012, 06:10 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Speaking of swash leveling..... here's a little tid bit that may get you where you want to be. It's for a larger heli but the principle is the same.

Swash plate leveling using a zip tie 450 helicopter (2 min 30 sec)
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old May 12, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Quote:
Off topic here....but are the police and military replacement bodies made of the same plastic material? Is there anything out there more rugged?
Speaking of the police body, I just got mine. It has to be blue, don't you know? These stock canopies are twice as thick as an Xtreme or other canopy. The real lawn darts were fun to play with as a kid. Using a heli to play is just wrong! Have you considered getting an R/C tank?