HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 09:52 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Okay, spent the day at Carowinds and its too windy out and too small indoors, so coupla questions...
Even though I bought the upgraded extended shaft to help prevent blade strikes, I wouldn't know a blade strike unless it struck me in the face(let's hope this doesn't happen literally). So what exactly is a blade strike, how do I spot one, and how does it effect performance?Also, let's talk pot trimming and drifting. I find that when hovering I have the left/right trim on the left stick all the way right and have to just barely push right. For the right stick when hovering I have the forward trim about halfway and the strafe(?) trim slight right with the stick pushed barely forward and moderately left. When adjusting for either, do I need to unplug the battery and/or turn off the Tx? If so, what are the consequences of not doing so?

Unfortunately, I don't know all the lingo yet and don't exactly know what stick controls what action....i.e. rudder, elevator, etc...So, sorry for my ignorance upfront.
Oh, you will know a blade strike when it happens! Your eyes get the size of half dollars, and your jaw drops. The first thoughts are "what the h!
You can imagine what happens when the upper and lower rotor blades collide, and explode in the air, it's a sight to behold!
edit: I should also add, one can have the flybar contact the lower set of blades, which is not good also. (a shorter flybar with help prevent that)
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Last edited by flyeraroo; May 06, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
77 Posts
linkage is not long enough?

hi guys!

so i have 2 blade cx2 helicopters and im in the midst of decking them out in all the cool parts, and hit a snag.

the lower rotor linkage doesn't seem to be long enough now to re-connect the both of them. ( i can get one on , not the other due to length.)

i can snap one side on but the other side seems to be about 1/8" short of reaching the ball on the blade grip.

heres a photo to explain whats up.

my question is:
do i need (and do they make) longer linkage pieces for the cx2 in order to make it reach ....or am i doing something wnorg?

heres some obvious pre answers...
got the holes in the lower head lined up...check
shaft is in the tower all the way up.... check.
swash plate is as far up the shaft as it can go. check

but the 2nd linkage won't reach.

is this by design? and maybe the heli-gods forgot to inform me?
is this info only given to those in the "circle of trust"

as always ...help is muchly appreciated! thanks! Mike
mozeppa is offline Find More Posts by mozeppa
Old May 06, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
641 Posts
The large holes go on top of the links. I had the same issue then I realized I had the links upside down
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old May 06, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
641 Posts
But.....I'm a noob, what do I know?
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old May 06, 2012, 06:54 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
hi guys!

so i have 2 blade cx2 helicopters and im in the midst of decking them out in all the cool parts, and hit a snag.

the lower rotor linkage doesn't seem to be long enough now to re-connect the both of them. ( i can get one on , not the other due to length.)

i can snap one side on but the other side seems to be about 1/8" short of reaching the ball on the blade grip.

my question is:
do i need (and do they make) longer linkage pieces for the cx2 in order to make it reach ....or am i doing something wnorg?

Is the lower head an Eflite 2 piece head? If it is check to make sure the bottom half hasn't separated and slid down some. If it hasn't or it's all one piece than I would sugguest taking a dremel and removing some off the bottom part of the lower hub. This will help the link problem, and also give you some room between the swashplate and hub. You do not want the hub to be resting on the swashplate, this will cause binding. If you move the elevator & aileron control lever around on the tx, and the lower rotor blade moves you have binding. I trimmed some off my aluminum lower hubs to prevent the binding of the swashplate. I have pictures posted in this thread somewhere, but it's been a long time ago.
Old May 06, 2012, 06:58 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,037 Posts
Quote:
hi guys!

my question is:

I bet, if you put the plastic linkages next to one another, they are exactly the same length ... there was a time when we all had to go through this ...
usually, it is not that the linkages are too short, the problem is that the ball links on the blade grip are too long. (and you could also cut a little piece of the rotor head off at the bottom, but <i would rather try shorter ball links on the blade grip first.
And, you could also order the spare parts kit from XTREME:
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4676
(their links were always longer than stock ... just dont know if they changed that by now, since they changed the design of their grips)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2009
77 Posts
thanks guys...

to eolson: nope not upside down .

to flyeroo: yeah its a 2 piece , but they are in their proper place. i had considered cutting some of the heads collar up some to acheive clearance...may have to.

to erdnuckel2: as i suspected! something in the length is afoot! i'll check the hobby shop tomorrow for longer links ...if thats a wash, i may have to butcher the head.

anymore ideas?

i'll check back heretill i get home tomorrow...then surgery may happen!
Old May 06, 2012, 10:28 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
thanks guys...

to eolson: nope not upside down .

to flyeroo: yeah its a 2 piece , but they are in their proper place. i had considered cutting some of the heads collar up some to acheive clearance...may have to.

to erdnuckel2: as i suspected! something in the length is afoot! i'll check the hobby shop tomorrow for longer links ...if thats a wash, i may have to butcher the head.

anymore ideas?

i'll check back heretill i get home tomorrow...then surgery may happen!
I found the posting of where I had posted the pics. (post #4609) Notice I could have taken even more off the bottom of the hub, and with a dremel it takes only a few seconds.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...07057&page=308
Old May 07, 2012, 05:58 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
Randy, you shortened that hub to give more movement to your swash; he can't even get the links on. I guess it's an alternative, but the balls on the grips are too long. The links should also be the longer links that, supposedly, come with the grips now. I ran into this problem because all I had to work with were the stock links, and they're too short. This problem, for me, was a good two years ago.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 07, 2012, 09:09 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Randy, you shortened that hub to give more movement to your swash; he can't even get the links on. I guess it's an alternative, but the balls on the grips are too long. The links should also be the longer links that, supposedly, come with the grips now. I ran into this problem because all I had to work with were the stock links, and they're too short. This problem, for me, was a good two years ago.
I remember that Jack. There is a picture of that in your "All Attachments Submitted by Kodak_Jack." It looks like a long bow

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 07, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I remember that Jack. There is a picture of that in your "All Attachments Submitted by Kodak_Jack." It looks like a long bow

Mike.
That era grip should not be out there anymore. As a matter of fact, within a few days of getting the grips, I got a CARE package from Miracle Mart with the right links in it. Even then, they don't stand straight up and down, but are still at an angle. I have since bought balls that are shorter for the grips. They help, but aren't quite right. The whole grip is too ^%)(*&)*( wide!! Unfortunately, the aluminum version is double the price. I'm not sure if they are the ultimate answer.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:00 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
I think I fried my servos...

Guys, I think I screwed up. I accidentally plugged my battery into the heli backwards and the blades started spinning at top speed. Luckily I had a good hold on it and quickly disconnected the battery but i could smell that burnt smell. Let it sit for a bit and plugged it back in. The reciever has a solid light and the 3-1 blinked and then went solid, like it always does. However, I never heard the servos set. When I throttle it up, the blades spin a rotation or two and then shut down. How bad did I screw it up? Any ideas? (sigh)
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old May 07, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
77 Posts
how did you plug it in backwards?

any smell can't be a good one.
Old May 08, 2012, 05:32 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
I did that once on a plane.... was switching over plug ends and soldered one up backwards. The magic smoke escaped immediately when I plugged in a battery and the ESC was toast. I would guess your 3 in 1 is toast now. Sorry that happened.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old May 08, 2012, 06:04 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
See if the guy who sells returned CX-2's on Ebay has one that says it has a bad servo or something other than the 3-in-1. Another option is to look for used ones in the Classifieds here or Ebay. Save yours for spare parts. I have no idea how you could have plugged in a battery backwards unless you used excessive force. The connectors are keyed.