HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Having to replace another set of blades(I bought four sets this time), I sat down after work to put them on and giver her a spin for a minute or two when I realized that I threw the screws out along with the broken blades. In a panic I looked on my POS DH 9104 for 2 compatible screws, but to no avail. Alas, another trip to the LHS. I also noticed that one of the pins on the lower hub snapped during the crash and it looks like I need another one of those as well. Should I go with an aluminum one or just stick with stock on this one?
To be honest with you, I always wondered where you'd get those screws for the blades if you lost or tossed them. Are they part of the screw set?
This is where the Ebay already modded heli comes into play. Mine came with all metal parts and the boom and an AFC canopy and spare parts, etc. for $100.
I know we can be impatient when it comes to learning to fly these things, but you have to take things easy at the beginning or it'll cost you a royal fortune in parts!! You've got at least three weeks before your pivoting blades and grips get to you, take things slowly and learn to control the heli. You KNOW wind will affect it, so, wait until there isn't any or practice in your garage. More than anything else, learn gentle landing. You can have all of the mods available and have that heli all blinged out with stuff that looks good, but does nothing for reliability and performance, but if you're going to break it all in crashes, you've wasted your money. Take small steps, grasshopper.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 09:20 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Having to replace another set of blades(I bought four sets this time), I sat down after work to put them on and giver her a spin for a minute or two when I realized that I threw the screws out along with the broken blades. In a panic I looked on my POS DH 9104 for 2 compatible screws, but to no avail. Alas, another trip to the LHS. I also noticed that one of the pins on the lower hub snapped during the crash and it looks like I need another one of those as well. Should I go with an aluminum one or just stick with stock on this one?
Rule #1 in modeling. Throw NOTHING out! PERIOD! Not even your broken blades. I have used broken blades for repairs (no Bull). BTW, did you receive that tiny weight for your stock flybar that I sent you??? You see, I throw nothing out

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,415 Posts
I've been told the Morton barn will be put up next week. Plenty of room for at least your Lama 4 and CX-2 parts.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I've been told the Morton barn will be put up next week. Plenty of room for at least your Lama 4 and CX-2 parts.
They always seem to start off in small parts boxes.....AND BAM

Mike.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Rule #1 in modeling. Throw NOTHING out! PERIOD! Not even your broken blades. I have used broken blades for repairs (no Bull). BTW, did you receive that tiny weight for your stock flybar that I sent you??? You see, I throw nothing out

Mike.
Speaking of using broken blades check this post-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27

jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old May 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,415 Posts
What the heck does he know?!!!!!!!!
Hey, it's supposed to warm up again, BUT, it's also supposed to rain the whole week.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
308 Posts
I did get the weight, thank you. And by nature I am a pack rat. I already have a small box of items piling up and almost need another larger box. I guess I'll clean out the garage this weekend so I can fly in there. I've been taking it with me to work and then taking it for a spin after work in a large parking lot. Id rather master flying than buying.
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old May 02, 2012, 06:44 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,415 Posts
Quote:
I did get the weight, thank you. And by nature I am a pack rat. I already have a small box of items piling up and almost need another larger box. I guess I'll clean out the garage this weekend so I can fly in there. I've been taking it with me to work and then taking it for a spin after work in a large parking lot. Id rather master flying than buying.
I know this is new to you and maybe you don't really know the answer, but, what was the deal with the three flybar set? What is the difference between the three? Are they different lengths, so, you can try different lengths without disturbing one you like? Are there different weights?
Old May 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
308 Posts
All three flybars appear to be the same size and there is only one set of weights. I did not notice any markings on the package that said otherwise regarding such.
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old May 02, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
All three flybars appear to be the same size and there is only one set of weights. I did not notice any markings on the package that said otherwise regarding such.
It would be nice if they gave you extra weights. Those are hard to find

There was a slight "scrunch" at the end of my CF flybar upon inspection putting everything back together, so I had to reposition the weights inward, and where the grubs tighten. I now have the weights set at 3" out from center. This is measured from the center of the flybar out to the very end of the bullet weight. This shouldn't be too bad, I really didn't come in all that much.

Mike.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
It would be nice if they gave you extra weights. Those are hard to find

There was a slight "scrunch" at the end of my CF flybar upon inspection putting everything back together, so I had to reposition the weights inward, and where the grubs tighten. I now have the weights set at 3" out from center. This is measured from the center of the flybar out to the very end of the bullet weight. This shouldn't be too bad, I really didn't come in all that much.

Mike.
-thats about the length of the SHORT flybar rod in the new Xtreme adjustable weights flybar kit ... so in other words: you will be fine (unless xtreme decided to sell some totally unflyable crap - but that they have never EVER done before
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old May 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
-thats about the length of the SHORT flybar rod in the new Xtreme adjustable weights flybar kit ... so in other words: you will be fine (unless xtreme decided to sell some totally unflyable crap - but that they have never EVER done before
I have the "CF" flybar, not the steel. Much lighter=much agile. As I said before (and many times)...the steel flybar and CF flybar are like night and day. No comparison. Of course I won't expect anyone to believe me BECAUSE you all don't have any "CF" flybars....remember....you broke them all

Mike.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,415 Posts
There are pieces of info missing with your CF flybar. Is it using the metal center piece you talked about before? Is the CF rod CA'd to the center section? When you tighten the weight SET screws, do they splinter the CF rod? I would be worried about the weights heading for the buckwheat.
The spacing of 3" makes for a very short flybar to begin with. If the weights don't compensate for the decrease in weight, that has to be radically different.
Quotes, commas, parenthesis and brackets left off to conserve space!
Old May 03, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Here is a "half" decent shot of the flybar I got from Helitek. There is no "metal" center hub. It's molded plastic around the CF flybar.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=15

Do they "splinter" with the set screws??? Only if you crank the grub screws on like a Gorilla. Checking the grubs screws on the weights "should" be a part of your "pre-flight" check anyway to insure they are "snug" and don't fly off to oblivion whether they are steel OR CF

Does anyone do a pre-flight and post flight check?

Mike.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,415 Posts
No sense giving us info on something we can't get anymore. How do you find the "correct" amount of force to tighten weights on a CF rod that makes them stay there and not fly off while still not splintering the CF?