HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:31 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
I got my new Boomtown Pro Flybar set today. Yay! Back to flying again!
Is this the set with three flybars? What is the difference in flybars that you need three? If the weights are moveable, ....
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
Okay, here's a loaded question....
What instant modifications/upgrades could/would/should a first timer consider?

Also, should both my blades start spinning at the same time?
1. Anybody who has had to replace the stock blades more than a couple of times should realize they need pivoting blade grips so they can use pivoting blades.
2. Having to do anything on a CX-2 with a stock canopy system makes you start thinking of a boom instead of the rear canopy.
3. If you use something other than stock batteries, you need to modify the battery tray to the "Credit Card" mod so it takes other batteries.
4. Normally, we here would recommend Aero-Nutz motors to prevent the motors from heating up, but those motors have become hard to find. That only leaves Xtreme motors, and I don't have experience with them. The Aero-Nutz have BIG cooling vents in the motor can.
5. A shorter flybar will eliminate porpoising where the heli moves forward about 10 feet, stops and levels and goes another ten feet, etc.
6. AFTER learning to control your heli and crashing less, you can move your servo links out a hole or two on the servo arms for more response. This is a freebie!!
7. He determines he needs more space between the upper and lower blades, so, he gets an Xtreme extended inner shaft. This is a misnomer in that the upper head is taller and the shaft is still the stock length.

You will notice what has been recommended here has NOTHING to do with bling or silly lights. If you're serious about learning to fly this heli, do what you can to make it more reliable and easier to work on. Learn to control the heli without putting the blame on anything else. DON'T waste money on things that don't pertain to where you are in the normal progression of learning to fly it. Remember, the people on this thread have been here forever and are talking about things that have nothing to do with learning to fly. We've been there, done that and have the tee shirt to prove it. Learn how to fly first and then waste money on things that would be nice to have later.
Your blades may not start up at exactly the same time. Does it fly OK? Does it spin when you give it throttle? If not, don't worry about it.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Apr 26, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
Answer the following:
1. A beginner buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli.....

2. An intermediate pilot buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli....

3. An advanced pilot buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli....
To begin with, a person wanting a BCX2 does NOT buy a new one. Sorry, that's too much money. We go on from there:

1. A beginner buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli = Crashes a lot and spends a ton of money on replacement blades, BUT, he learns how to work on the heli himself and not pay a hobby shop to do it for him.

2. An intermediate pilot already has a BCX2 and does this to their heli.... Replaces the stock grips and blades with composite blade grips and pivoting blades. He starts with Xtreme blades and then branches out to try others. He notices his heli porpoises and finds out the way to get rid of that is a shorter flybar. He doesn't buy a set of THREE flybars, he buys one and plays with moving the weights around looking for the sweet spot. He definitely gets an Xtreme "extended" inner shaft to give more separation between the upper and lower blades. He flies a LOT to sharpen his skills and does his best to stop crashing and needing to constantly repair the heli.

3. An advanced pilot has more than one BCX2 and does this to their heli.... He makes his own inner shafts out of hardened drill rod.
He decides to go brushless. He buys a MicroHeli frame ($$$$$$$$). He buys Blade 400 skids. He buys motors, ESC's, a receiver, gyro and a mixer. He buys a DX6i (again, $$$$$) transmitter and he buys a 3s battery or two. He makes his own battery mounting plate and does not do the typical credit card mod. He buys Xtreme 55 Degree blades for less lift but better forward flight. He frequents the V-Tail thread where the brushless stuff is discussed. This activity is expensive and not for the feint of heart. It requires enough handyman/ machinist/ tinkering skills to pull it off, not to mention programming the mixer and ESC's. An advanced pilot might also be into other heli's by now and may even leave the coax stuff behind. It depends on his comfort zone.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Apr 26, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, WA, Burien
Joined Feb 2012
29 Posts
Hey Kodak_Jack"""

I totally agree with you! I believe I just made it to #2, the "intermediate pilot". Ha! I feel like i've been intermediate all my life! dangit.

Been reading on your blog on your brushless conversion. Just wanted to see if there were any new "AHH HA" moments. I realy enjoy my cx2 they way it is now. But I think I have enought extra parts left over to build another one..except for the electronics (big $$).

Good luck to ya!
chi chi is offline Find More Posts by chi chi
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:09 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,218 Posts
Haha, good call KJ. Yep, but, hopefully one of these extremely modded brushless Cx's will remain forever in that persons stable as a representative of the effort and journey.

Plus, when they deliver one of these fully modded coaxials, they get pms like this from new pilots.

"Hey Dr LMH, Relocated the pak about 3/16 back. Now she wants to back over me So have it a little too far back. Even with this blessed with a reasonable hover and then, and then did a couple of right turns one left and off for a couple of fig 8...Never done this outside before...TYL,TYR.Tail shaking a bit,Im in R and think maybe its a little too much..In General love it and had a grrrrrreat time.."

This from an individual who couldn't previously keep one up in the air. And guys, this is what makes every second spent worth it!!!!!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi chi View Post
Hey Kodak_Jack"""

I totally agree with you! I believe I just made it to #2, the "intermediate pilot". Ha! I feel like i've been intermediate all my life! dangit.

Been reading on your blog on your brushless conversion. Just wanted to see if there were any new "AHH HA" moments. I realy enjoy my cx2 they way it is now. But I think I have enought extra parts left over to build another one..except for the electronics (big $$).

Good luck to ya!
I haven't updated the blog in a while. The brushless heli is running great and I have to thank Randy for that. I have no qualms about giving credit where credit is due. The very last thing I had to try was a set of 55 Degree blades and I like them.
Yes, the electronics can be a little $$$$$$$. Mine has a MEMS gyro and a microprocessor programmed to be a coax mixer. Another version uses custom built gyromixer = gyro and mixer all programmed into one "magic" chip!!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,218 Posts
In alot of ways KJ, this is more of a collaborative effort all the way around. Not a single thing I did was invented on my end. Just copied and pasted onto your donor heli. Most the true credit here goes to the OlliW corner of things. Other guys paved the path for our CX's. I am just the middleman that assembled things. Yours is the first with the combination you are running though.

Pretty amazing when everything is working right!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Imagine what it took to take a programmable chip and load it with code written to become a mixer for a coax!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
674 Posts
Real calm day around here today and I had to chance to take the BCX2 outside. This morning I had her out and she came down rather hard and I broke both top and bottom blades. Luckily for me my LHS is only 10 minutes away. I bought a couple sets each and got a spare battery to boot. Came home, changed blades, and have had her out all day practicing. Since then I have broken another set of blades and am getting ready to put another set on.
About my battery: I am using the stock battery and charger, which says the battery is balanced and charged when the green light goes out. I always catch this event within a few minutes. When I check the charge the no. 1 cell will read 4.12 and the no. 2 cell will read 4.07, for a total of 8.19. Sometimes the total charge will go up to 8.5. So, should I be checking the battery while its charging and remove it at 8? Is the extra charge going to ruin the battery. The charger is a "balancing" charger but there is always a .05 difference between them. Is this okay, as well?
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
You should be OK with the charger working as you say. Let us know when you get tired of changing blades!!!!!! There's a cure for that, you know.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:50 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,155 Posts
Quote:
Real calm day around here today and I had to chance to take the BCX2 outside. This morning I had her out and she came down rather hard and I broke both top and bottom blades. Luckily for me my LHS is only 10 minutes away. I bought a couple sets each and got a spare battery to boot. Came home, changed blades, and have had her out all day practicing. Since then I have broken another set of blades and am getting ready to put another set on.
About my battery: I am using the stock battery and charger, which says the battery is balanced and charged when the green light goes out. I always catch this event within a few minutes. When I check the charge the no. 1 cell will read 4.12 and the no. 2 cell will read 4.07, for a total of 8.19. Sometimes the total charge will go up to 8.5. So, should I be checking the battery while its charging and remove it at 8? Is the extra charge going to ruin the battery. The charger is a "balancing" charger but there is always a .05 difference between them. Is this okay, as well?
New lipos should be broken in gently. This is an easy to read and, easy to understand website on lipos.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...po-terminology

Browse around...even has some soldering tips which I found very helpful

I still have two stock batteries that are still in service. I make sure I fly them at least once every two months, BUT, they don't have the punch of a Rhino 750mah 20C

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,059 Posts
Quote:
Actually, a FULL charge would be 4.2V per cell for a total of 8.4. I know, this will sound confusing, but that's what it is - if its less, your battery is not fully charged.
Also, I never really trusted the stock chargers, because you cant see whats happening. (And I always trusted the eflite ones even less than those from Esky!)
Anyway, I never got really happy until I finally bought my first true balance charger (one where you can actually see how it balances and that also gets the batteries MUCH closer to 4.2 per cell (and evenly).
If you are going to stick with this hobby and maybe even get a couple more helis ... and planes ... and cars ... and boats ... ...
... best advice I can give is "get a better charger"!!!
(Those things are really affordable in the meantime and its the best you can do to your batteries ...)
Example:
(sorry, something is wrong with my computer ... I'll place the link later ...)
here it is:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
several people here on the threads have this charger and I dont remember EVER hearing a bad word about it ... plus, it came down in price by almost 20% since I got mine ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
674 Posts
Back again folks with more noob questions.
I want blades that will quit breaking when I breathe on them. Suggestions? Pivoting or not? The guy at my LHS said they really weren't necessary and that there was no real advantage. Suggestions on brand? Plus, with aftermarket blades will I have to replace the grips?
I'd like to also know what parts, if any, I will need to upgrade to the extended shaft for more blade separation?
Thanks for the info on the battery.!

Also, at this point I just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped me thus far!
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
I want blades that will quit breaking when I breathe on them. Suggestions? Pivoting or not? The guy at my LHS said they really weren't necessary and that there was no real advantage. Suggestions on brand? Plus, with aftermarket blades will I have to replace the grips?
I'd like to also know what parts, if any, I will need to upgrade to the extended shaft for more blade separation?

Also, at this point I just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped me thus far!
I have used 2 different kinds of blade grips that I really like. One is the Xtreme aluminum grips, which aren't made any longer, and the other is Esky plastic grips that Helitek used to sell. One should be able to find the Esky grips anywhere Esky products are sold. The Esky grips are light, and work very well with the Xtreme V1 blades. The Xtreme V1 blades have a little more pitch than the stock blades, and really work well with the Xtreme motors. For an extended inner shaft Xtreme also makes that, which is really a regular length shaft with an extended head. You don't need anything extra to use it. It will replace the stock inner shaft you are using now. With the Xtreme inner shaft, you will be able to replace the shaft only without having to replace the rotor head.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,758 Posts
Quote:

The advice has already been given - over and over again( 7037 and 7038 as an example). Your hobby shop guy is in the business of selling what is on his shelves.