SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Ok, in reference to post #7017, here is the vid I "announced" (I could get it to upload here after all and WONT have to carry the computer home .)

So, what is it with this horrible ground effect all the time? (or is that "bad hovering" ?? ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7kDgj10CPE

Looks like TBE to me (Toilet Bowl Effect)
This is caused by something binding in the head.... most likely the link ends.
Take off all the links and polish the balls and inside link ends with brown paper such as a grocery bag. Reinstall and test.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Ok, in reference to post #7017, here is the vid I "announced" (I could get it to upload here after all and WONT have to carry the computer home .)

So, what is it with this horrible ground effect all the time? (or is that "bad hovering" ?? ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7kDgj10CPE

Show off Nice flying (e hem...hovering) there Mr. Sven

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
WOW!<WOW!<WOW!!!! Guys, I am such a newbie even I can't believe it. I didn't realize that my inner shaft was bent for some time apparently until I really bent it today and I could see that upper head wobbling. So I replaced it and when I spooled it up I could see how solid the new shaft was. No hint of a wobble or vibration. Well let me tell you, with that repair alone, my hover controll has improved 10X!!! It just floats like a feather!! What an enjoyable experience flying these things can be!!
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:30 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Looks like TBE to me (Toilet Bowl Effect)
This is caused by something binding in the head.... most likely the link ends.
Take off all the links and polish the balls and inside link ends with brown paper such as a grocery bag. Reinstall and test.
It doesnt act like this once it is more then 2-3 inches away from the floor ... rest assured, there is no TBE in play ... it IS just the lack of piloting skill ... even though I still would insist you can't call this "sliding around like crazy ..."
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,577 Posts
Quote:
It doesnt act like this once it is more then 2-3 inches away from the floor ... rest assured, there is no TBE in play ... it IS just the lack of piloting skill ... even though I still would insist you can't call this "sliding around like crazy ..."
Then it's just 'Dirty Air' or ground effect. Prop wash hits the floor and bounces back up causing turbulence ..... sound good? hehe
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post
WOW!<WOW!<WOW!!!! Guys, I am such a newbie even I can't believe it. I didn't realize that my inner shaft was bent for some time apparently until I really bent it today and I could see that upper head wobbling. So I replaced it and when I spooled it up I could see how solid the new shaft was. No hint of a wobble or vibration. Well let me tell you, with that repair alone, my hover controll has improved 10X!!! It just floats like a feather!! What an enjoyable experience flying these things can be!!
When you replaced your bent shaft, what did you replace it with? Was it just another stock shaft? Our recommendation would have been for you to replace it with an Xtreme extended shaft for more blade separation to eliminate blade strikes. Essentially, the head is taller and gives you the separation that way instead of the shaft being longer. If the inner shaft were longer, the outer shaft would need to be longer too so the inner one wouldn't move up and down by the difference in length. SO, the Xtreme extended inner shaft has a taller rotor head to give you more separation between upper and lower blades, BUT, it still uses an actual stock length inner shaft so it matches the outer shaft. Confused?
Remember to keep an eye on how hot the motors are getting. You don't want to over-heat them.
Get outside or at least in the garage and put the heli up at eye level and move it around some. Learn to keep it at a constant height and then learn to land without any mishaps. Maybe instead of keeping the heli in a small box on the floor, at least learn to land in that small box. It's harder than you think! Land it GENTLY in that box and you'll save tail sections or booms as well as the skids.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
My mission is to put together a CF flybar.

Mike.
Mike, I used to run them! Long story on how I fabbed them up, but don't. Yes the carbonfibre doesn't bend. But what happens is that it snaps. You wreck, you hit anything, and it shatters! And along with it your expensive weight matched flybar weight (at least in my case) shoots off into nowhere. I ran them on my dual swash builds and until recently on my brushless setups also. Until I started loosing them last fall during even the lightest impacts. It was a great idea, just like CF inner and outer shafts, until it went into use. Then, disaster.
Tony at Helitec-Rc ran these also and ran into the same issues about 3 years ago and also started telling people not to do it.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
When you replaced your bent shaft, what did you replace it with? Was it just another stock shaft? Our recommendation would have been for you to replace it with an Xtreme extended shaft for more blade separation to eliminate blade strikes. Essentially, the head is taller and gives you the separation that way instead of the shaft being longer. If the inner shaft were longer, the outer shaft would need to be longer too so the inner one wouldn't move up and down by the difference in length. SO, the Xtreme extended inner shaft has a taller rotor head to give you more separation between upper and lower blades, BUT, it still uses an actual stock length inner shaft so it matches the outer shaft. Confused?
Remember to keep an eye on how hot the motors are getting. You don't want to over-heat them.
Get outside or at least in the garage and put the heli up at eye level and move it around some. Learn to keep it at a constant height and then learn to land without any mishaps. Maybe instead of keeping the heli in a small box on the floor, at least learn to land in that small box. It's harder than you think! Land it GENTLY in that box and you'll save tail sections or booms as well as the skids.
Yeah, that would have been a good suggestion too! I didn't think of that because I haven't experienced a blade strike yet. I usually crashed it before I got that far! But I needed something fast because i was meeting the local rc helicopter club the next evening so I wanted to get it back in the air. The meeting never happened as I got held up at work so I'm shooting for next week.
I like the idea trying to land in the small box. I remember trying that with my Syma 107's and it wasn't easy with that either. I actually landed it gently (although it was by accident) the other day and was quite a good feeling as it was a pretty realistic looking land.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Also remember to check the upper rotor blades for proper tracking. It will make a difference for flying smoothly. If there is a vibration, and you can't see any wobble from the shafts, it's not a bad idea to remove them from the helicopter, and roll them on a smooth surface. This way one can detect the slightest of bends.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Wait.............nevermin d
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
929 Posts
I got my new Boomtown Pro Flybar set today. Yay! Back to flying again!

I also got a Li-Po battery monitor. Works great. I just landed the copter and checked them. 3.92 and 3.95 left. Looks like I stopped just in time. What is an optimum charge level?
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Last edited by eolson; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
929 Posts
Okay, here's a loaded question....
What instant modifications/upgrades could/would/should a first timer consider?

Also, should both my blades start spinning at the same time?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
929 Posts
Answer the following:
1. A beginner buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli.....

2. An intermediate pilot buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli....

3. An advanced pilot buys a BCX2 and does this to their heli....
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Also remember to check the upper rotor blades for proper tracking. It will make a difference for flying smoothly. If there is a vibration, and you can't see any wobble from the shafts, it's not a bad idea to remove them from the helicopter, and roll them on a smooth surface. This way one can detect the slightest of bends.
Yes, I realized my flybar was bent that way. I straightened it but I'm considering the 6.75" flybar from boomtown. Twice as strong and they say it's the one for beginners. Thoughts? Comments?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,975 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I realized my flybar was bent that way. I straightened it but I'm considering the 6.75" flybar from boomtown. Twice as strong and they say it's the one for beginners. Thoughts? Comments?
I have not "played around" with a BCX/V4 class heli in quite a while and it is amazing how fast I seem to forget stuff ... but the 6.75" sounds like it is about a bit more than 10% shorter than a stock flybar. When I was still active on a forum in Germany, we had a lot of trial and error "research" from members shortening flybars ... and it turned out that up to about 15% is what a flybar can be shortened where, while getting the benefits of a shorter flybar the loss in stability seemed to be a non-issue ... I guess that is why they call it "for beginners" at boomtown site, as even a beginner can use it without being in too much danger of being caught on the wrong foot by a loss in stability due to flybar shortness ...

Well, the twice as strong ... I'd say it is (technically) not that difficult to find something stronger than stock - but its not necessarily gonna save you (I broke a blade ... carbonfiber reinforced ... once because I knocked the heli off the table due to not paying attention - that blade would have withstood wild crashes, but it broke FALLING 2- or 3ft down without the heli even running ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
The most important mods kind of go in this order.

1. The folding grip mod. This is the single most important mod.
2. The inner extended shaft mod.
3. The shortened flybar mod.

Why in this order? If you shorten the flybar first. You will most certainly get blade strike right off the bat, shatter blades and wreck. So first off solve the blade issues, then the flybar issue.

Everything else follows after this.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis