HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
Just purchased a BCX2 today. So far, the few minutes I've had with it seems much better suited to my needs/wants than the DH9104.

Does anyone know the average flight time for this heli?

Is it okay to remove the battery from the charger mid-charge and then hook it back up later to finish charging?
eolson is offline Find More Posts by eolson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau View Post
Ok guys, crashed my CX2...again.
I was flying around this evening in zero wind conditions and started getting a little too much speed coming around in a turn with full FF and pulled back a little to quickly on the stick and had a blade strike. I guess I better move the servo arms back into the stock position.

Any tips on how to recover it when it starts getting squirrely? If I pull back to quickly on the stick it starts wobbling around and going out of control. I usually give it a little more throttle but this time I had a blade strike. Fortunately it was over the grass at about 15 feet up.

No real damage except a crack in the nose and broken blades. At least you can't see the crack.
Well, you're staying down lower and that's how I fly. You tend to pick up speed making turns, so, I back off a little on the throttle. I'm flying in my yard where I don't have an unlimited turning radius. Is your heli running stock blades or the pivoting ones? Do you have an extended inner shaft for more blade separation?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Just purchased a BCX2 today. So far, the few minutes I've had with it seems much better suited to my needs/wants than the DH9104.

Does anyone know the average flight time for this heli?

Is it okay to remove the battery from the charger mid-charge and then hook it back up later to finish charging?
Welcome to the group!! The average would be in the range of 7 to 10 minutes, I would think. Are you saying you bought a NEW CX-2? If so, you have to watch how warm/ hot the motors get as they don't have an over-abundance of cooling capacity. If you have more than one battery, make sure you let the motors cool a good 15 minutes between batteries.
It should be OK to stop the charge and then restart it later.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Well, you're staying down lower and that's how I fly. You tend to pick up speed making turns, so, I back off a little on the throttle. I'm flying in my yard where I don't have an unlimited turning radius. Is your heli running stock blades or the pivoting ones? Do you have an extended inner shaft for more blade separation?
Stock blades and stock inner shaft. Which blades and inner shaft should I use? Will it still have the tendency to get squirrely (not sure how to describe it) basically looks like one of those mechanical bulls dipping forward and backward and starting to spin?
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,491 Posts
Quote:

Does anyone know the average flight time for this heli?Is it okay to remove the battery from the charger mid-charge and then hook it back up later to finish charging?
I would say no more than 7 minutes with a new battery. This will leave some charge in the battery, and will make the battery last longer. If you fly until the helicopter runs low on power, it's draining the battery too much, and will shorten the life of the battery.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Stock blades and stock inner shaft. Which blades and inner shaft should I use? Will it still have the tendency to get squirrely (not sure how to describe it) basically looks like one of those mechanical bulls dipping forward and backward and starting to spin?
I would definitely get an extended inner shaft to prevent the blade strikes. You need to create a little more distance between the upper and lower rotor blades to prevent blade strikes. Xtreme makes an extended head, which gives one 5mm more distance, and uses a regular inner shaft, which is replacable. This will help some with blade strikes, and I believe there are some guys that make a inner shaft that will give you even more of a distance between rotor blades. They use a nylon spacer on the shaft instead of a extended head.

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...t_p/bcx020.htm

Also folding blades and blade grips will help in crashes over the stock blades, which break very easily.
The squirrely thing your describing is normal with a coaxial helicopter. When you slow down real quick or turn sharper while moving forward it will sometimes have a tendency to act that way. The flybar is trying to help the helicopter recover to an upright stable position while moving forward, and you sometime get that squirrely reaction. Sometimes in a turn when flying forward with too much speed the flybar will not be able to correct, and the helicopter will stay at a 45 degree angle right to the ground. This is called the "death dive". A shorter flybar will help, but it may still happen if flying the helicopter to hard. Coaxials can't be flown real hard and crazy, unless they are setup to do so. I have seen videos of some with dual swashplate setups that can be flown pretty wild, but for the normal coaxial it's more of a slow and easy type of flying.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Coaxials can't be flown real hard and crazy, unless they are setup to do so. I have seen videos of some with dual swashplate setups that can be flown pretty wild, but for the normal coaxial it's more of a slow and easy type of flying.
Yeah, EQmod probably posted half a hundred vids of his dual swashed modded coax's a few years back. Pretty much the reason I didn't follow up with any of mine.

But to be honest here. Once you fully mod your CX they can be quite aggressive. Even without the dual swash. The one I just sold JrJr is a wicked little coax. But it has close to $400 in upgrades.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,403 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking to myself:"Didn't I just answer this stuff this morning?" but then remembered it was in response to a thread somebody started instead of coming here.
If you go to the page in this link, there are all kinds of CX-2 upgrades/ mods on there and they're all from one place so you can save on S&H. My only suggestion is to not go with the mega buck boom stuff. I bought a simple Xtreme bracket and added my own boom for a fraction of the cost. The same goes for the super expensive and heavy Xtreme landing skid set. Who needs it?!! Get the Indestructible skids and be done with it.
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/category_s/9.htm
Xtreme boom bracket $2.93 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1461
Pivoting blade grips $10.95 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4675
There are places (like Miracle Mart) where you can get the grips and blades separately instead of buying the set with the 55 Degree blades at Boomtown. Don't feel obligated to buy something you don't want or need. See what else is available that will work in its place. Remember, whatever you buy for the upper rotor must be bought for the lower rotor as well, such as upper and lower composite grips, upper and lower blades, etc.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I was thinking to myself:"Didn't I just answer this stuff this morning?" but then remembered it was in response to a thread somebody started instead of coming here.
If you go to the page in this link, there are all kinds of CX-2 upgrades/ mods on there and they're all from one place so you can save on S&H. My only suggestion is to not go with the mega buck boom stuff. I bought a simple Xtreme bracket and added my own boom for a fraction of the cost. The same goes for the super expensive and heavy Xtreme landing skid set. Who needs it?!! Get the Indestructible skids and be done with it.
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/category_s/9.htm
Xtreme boom bracket $2.93 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1461
Pivoting blade grips $10.95 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4675
There are places (like Miracle Mart) where you can get the grips and blades separately instead of buying the set with the 55 Degree blades at Boomtown. Don't feel obligated to buy something you don't want or need. See what else is available that will work in its place. Remember, whatever you buy for the upper rotor must be bought for the lower rotor as well, such as upper and lower composite grips, upper and lower blades, etc.
Thanks!
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
But to be honest here. Once you fully mod your CX they can be quite aggressive. Even without the dual swash. The one I just sold JrJr is a wicked little coax. But it has close to $400 in upgrades.
Sooooo true. I flew it in a gymnasium thursday. Started getting the hang of it doing banked turns and getting up some good speed. It is so smooth running its hard to believe. The power will definately help you out if you get in a pinch. Even in a gym with high ceilings you have to be aware of the rise rate but its easy to control once you get the hang of it. Practice flying level turns faster and faster but watch out.... gravity can bite ya!

Oh, and I added a light kit.... gotta have lights!

Hoping to get someone to video it next week....
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,403 Posts
Flew mine last night on 3s and Airy blades - nice. I'll have to change over to 55 Degree blades and see what that does. I'll have to admit that I was flying for quite a while and have no idea how long it was. I certainly didn't have to worry about the motors getting too hot.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
Update.
Sad news. Went for a flight in the backyard tonight. Pulled down the throttle too quick to avoid having to go into my neighbors yard to fetch the darn thing. 8 foot drop. Time to go inside. Throttle up, dog comes a running too close and I cut throttle again. 6 feet drop this time. Throttle up and notice there is definite wobbling. Hover like this for the rest of the battery. Check for damage and noticed a crack in the tail.

Name: Heli Damage 2.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 195.8 KB
Description:

Name: Heli damage.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 229.5 KB
Description:

As for the wobbling, I looked for any immediate blade/flybar damage and noticed none. However, I did noticed that a piece was missing from inside the rubber tip on the end of the flybar. I'm assuming this is a weight and is the reason why i was getting the wobbles.

The body damage looks easy enough to patch, or replace. As for the missing "weight", is this a replaceable part?

Also, I bought a digital multimeter. Will this help me in determining the power of the battery? I haven't opened it yet, so if not I can return it. If so, can someone tell me how do check the battery?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Also, I bought a digital multimeter. Will this help me in determining the power of the battery? I haven't opened it yet, so if not I can return it. If so, can someone tell me how do check the battery?
Kinda tough to use a multimeter but its possible.

I have one of these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHQQ8wIwAg

and one of these. (Cheaper at HK)
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG4Q8wIwAA

Shoe goo (or similar) works great for fixing body cracks. I used it on 1/10 scale race cars exclusively and it held up the best of all I tried. You could add a little fiberglass mesh used for drywall for extra strength. Plain old CA will do it for a short time.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:40 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
And yes, the loss of the brass flybar insert will def throw the balance waaay off.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
CA is cyano acrylate I take it?
Looks like I'll have to get the entire flybar, the weights don't appear to be sold separately.
Last edited by eolson; Apr 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM.