HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:19 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
thank you - I am looking at my "early" stuff with the coaxes a little differently now that I am almost exclusively flying the V911. I havent flown a coax in a VERY long time ... the last was my Twister Seaking ... and I crashed it ... (as usual ...)

At least, with the V911 being as light as it is, crashes usually "exhibit" very little effect on the heli

(take for example the end of this video: ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU_5p...2&feature=plcp

whoa that looked like a hard crash! i can see that (as you said) it being so light causes pretty much no damage to the heli.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,664 Posts
As a first heli, I do NOT recommend buying a brand new CX-2/ CX-3. It is a LOT of money to plunk down on something where you'll likely change out a very large number of parts to make it fly "better". The stock blades have to be changed for pivoting blade grips and pivoting blades. The rear section of the canopy will be changed to a boom. The list goes on. There are always used CX-2's in the Classifieds here or on Ebay. The trick is to recognize a heli that has what you want on it. Instead of paying $189 and then laying out a small fortune in mod parts, I bought mine already modded for $100 on Ebay. If Ebay isn't to your liking, then go with somebody from the Classifieds here. Many of the guys start out with coax's and move up to more sophisticated heli's later. That leaves many for sale. Just make sure if you buy used that the 4-in-1 or 3-in-1 is not shot because they're expensive.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
As a first heli, I do NOT recommend buying a brand new CX-2/ CX-3. It is a LOT of money to plunk down on something where you'll likely change out a very large number of parts to make it fly "better". The stock blades have to be changed for pivoting blade grips and pivoting blades. The rear section of the canopy will be changed to a boom. The list goes on. There are always used CX-2's in the Classifieds here or on Ebay. The trick is to recognize a heli that has what you want on it. Instead of paying $189 and then laying out a small fortune in mod parts, I bought mine already modded for $100 on Ebay. If Ebay isn't to your liking, then go with somebody from the Classifieds here. Many of the guys start out with coax's and move up to more sophisticated heli's later. That leaves many for sale. Just make sure if you buy used that the 4-in-1 or 3-in-1 is not shot because they're expensive.
oh okay thanks.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,833 Posts
Quote:
No offense, but the pivoting blade grips, were supposed to be the FIRST thing you bought!! The stock blades are a nice idea, but they break if you look at them wrong, and Mike is ALWAYS looking at them wrong!!
If you had bought the V4 to begin with, you wouldn't have to be changing out and modding the blade grips. I can't remember the last time "I looked at my blades the wrong way"....So there

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,119 Posts
Yeah Mike, But the CX weight bias is much better at forward flight. I agree though, the factory blades purely sucked!

And I agree wholeheartedly with KJ, never buy a Cx model at retail. Ever. What a true waste of cash. I myself have sold fully modded helis cheaper. And they used to have auctions where you could buy new CX2/3s that had issues (usually tbe) for $40 to $60 as a bnf. I bought 4 or 5 that way in my early modding days. A few tweaks on the flybar and they were fine. And I had a ton of crash repair parts to play with. I actually needed them. My piloting skills were abysmal.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
You know, I haven't actually gone through that many blades, a bag per top and bottom. I've gone through plenty of skids and rear canopies. Hopefully with my Boomtown purchase, that is over. As soon as the Xtreme LED flybars are back in stock, I'll order that and the swing away blade set-up. Gotta have SOME bling.

on a side note;
if they keep with the Ashleytude pics, I just might have to check it out..

on another side note;
anybody have a msr bnf they want to sell?
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post
You know, I haven't actually gone through that many blades, a bag per top and bottom. I've gone through plenty of skids and rear canopies. Hopefully with my Boomtown purchase, that is over. As soon as the Xtreme LED flybars are back in stock, I'll order that and the swing away blade set-up. Gotta have SOME bling.

on a side note;

on another side note;
That really depends what the bidder wants to offer - it starts to get a classic and is not that easy to get anymore ...
If it was reasonable, I might be interested ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
That really depends what the bidder wants to offer - it starts to get a classic and is not that easy to get anymore ...
If it was reasonable, I might be interested ...
Are you talking in relation to msr x? You can't get an msr anymore?

O.K. after reading the review on rchelicopterfun.com; if anyone has a msr x to sell, let me know. Is the CX2 radio a better radio if I intend to bnf?
Last edited by notarealpilot; Apr 14, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:01 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,664 Posts
Quote:

on a side note;

on another side note;
If you're wrecking tail sections, you'll be wrecking booms too! Don't worry about an MSR until you can fly a simple coax! Forget the bling until you can fly it half way decent. LED flybars? If you're wrecking skids, you need to practice just lifting it up a few feet and landing it GENTLY!!!!!!!!!! How big is your wallet?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
If you're wrecking tail sections, you'll be wrecking booms too! Don't worry about an MSR until you can fly a simple coax! Forget the bling until you can fly it half way decent. LED flybars? If you're wrecking skids, you need to practice just lifting it up a few feet and landing it GENTLY!!!!!!!!!! How big is your wallet?
Apparently bigger than yours
but point taken
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,833 Posts
Quote:
I have to agree with Jack on this one (even though i hate to). LOL. Hold on the bling and light show You must take your time and get intimate with your heli

Grasshopper

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,796 Posts
Quote:
Are you talking in relation to msr x? You can't get an msr anymore?

O.K. after reading the review on rchelicopterfun.com; if anyone has a msr x to sell, let me know. Is the CX2 radio a better radio if I intend to bnf?
As long as you stick with 4ch only, I would personally say yes - but that is just me, I cant stand the newer play station transmitters ... (I'm just old school ...)

I flew the msr with that, the msrx with that, the SR120 with that ... I just cant deal with those microscopic toy radios ...

And sure, you can get msr's ... just not new (and the last time I checked on ebay, the msrs are often pretty expensive ... but this may have changed - was a while ago ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:32 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,664 Posts
Back to Basics

Notarealpilot, I started out with an FP heli, but a coax is even better because it's easier. I think you NEED to learn control to fly anything. Many of us started out using RADDs. You learn to control whatever heli you're messing with in a 1 FOOT box laid out on the floor. You learn to move within that box doing things EXACTLY as he instructs you to do. You learn DISCIPLINE. Even when you get to the point when he says you're ready to try lifting off, you take off and land in that same 1 foot square box. If you're wrecking skids, then you don't have the discipline part of this down yet. I have a 400 size coax, but I still insist on coming down on my piece of plywood out in the grass. If you come in hard and sloppy, you'll either take out the skids or flop it over on its side and cause more damage, especially if the rotors are still spinning.
I have heli's and planes that I can fly using the stock CX-2 type of transmitter (LP5DSM). DO NOT get involved with the video game controller type of transmitter as Sven says. They are USELESS and offer you no room for adjusting anything much. I used to watch a LOT of videos by guys flying all kinds of heli's. There is a form of flying where you keep bumping the sticks around with your thumbs to get what you want out of a heli. I prefer to keep my fingers on the sticks at all times. If the heli drifts a little over the flight, so, what? If your fingers are on the sticks it's no big deal to compensate. If you keep landing and worrying about the small stuff, you'll never get any flying in. Learn to control the heli so everything isn't a reaction to something unexpected. THIS is about as simple as it gets. It's more complex and $$$$$$$$$$ from here on out.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Notarealpilot, I started out with an FP heli, but a coax is even better because it's easier. I think you NEED to learn control to fly anything. Many of us started out using RADDs. You learn to control whatever heli you're messing with in a 1 FOOT box laid out on the floor. You learn to move within that box doing things EXACTLY as he instructs you to do. You learn DISCIPLINE. Even when you get to the point when he says you're ready to try lifting off, you take off and land in that same 1 foot square box. If you're wrecking skids, then you don't have the discipline part of this down yet. I have a 400 size coax, but I still insist on coming down on my piece of plywood out in the grass. If you come in hard and sloppy, you'll either take out the skids or flop it over on its side and cause more damage, especially if the rotors are still spinning.
I have heli's and planes that I can fly using the stock CX-2 type of transmitter (LP5DSM). DO NOT get involved with the video game controller type of transmitter as Sven says. They are USELESS and offer you no room for adjusting anything much. I used to watch a LOT of videos by guys flying all kinds of heli's. There is a form of flying where you keep bumping the sticks around with your thumbs to get what you want out of a heli. I prefer to keep my fingers on the sticks at all times. If the heli drifts a little over the flight, so, what? If your fingers are on the sticks it's no big deal to compensate. If you keep landing and worrying about the small stuff, you'll never get any flying in. Learn to control the heli so everything isn't a reaction to something unexpected. THIS is about as simple as it gets. It's more complex and $$$$$$$$$$ from here on out.
That was one of the first decisions I had to make when learning to fly. Whether to use the thumbs or fingers, and I chose the thumbs. My thumbs stay on the ends of the gimbles at all times, which seemed odd at first, but now it comes naturally. This way, I believe one can hold the transmitter easier while flying without using a neck strap. (just my thought)
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
That was one of the first decisions I had to make when learning to fly. Whether to use the thumbs or fingers, and I chose the thumbs. My thumbs stay on the ends of the gimbles at all times, which seemed odd at first, but now it comes naturally. This way, I believe one can hold the transmitter easier while flying without using a neck strap. (just my thought)
Even so, you have your thumbs in constant contact rather than bumping them constantly with your thumbs.