HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post
And in the vain of making the CX2 more crash resistant, I'm looking at the Xtreme swivel blades with holders. Have people had good luck with these? It appears that I've been infected with the mod bug.....
Mine has metal top grips (Microheli maybe?) and what I believe are the extreme CF lower grips. I am liking the CF grips more so far. They will take thicker rooted blades than the metals.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post

Kodak_Jack, so it looks like you ended up mounting your boom like the Boomtown Model 4 boom after you had your crash and the nipple broke off, right? Thats how it looked to me so with that and what Chap said, I just ordered a Model 4 boom and some unbreakable skids. I'm interested in seeing how the flight characteristics change.

And in the vain of making the CX2 more crash resistant, I'm looking at the Xtreme swivel blades with holders. Have people had good luck with these? It appears that I've been infected with the mod bug.....
The Xtreme bracket is a little different. At least you can buy just that and not have to fork over $$ for a whole assembly if that's not what you want. I also don't use an O-Ring. In truth, I think mine is an early Boomtown one, but I never got an O-Ring with it. I had no idea how it was supposed to work, so, I improvised.
No offense, but the pivoting blade grips, were supposed to be the FIRST thing you bought!! The stock blades are a nice idea, but they break if you look at them wrong, and Mike is ALWAYS looking at them wrong!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Apr 13, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Mine has metal top grips (Microheli maybe?) and what I believe are the extreme CF lower grips. I am liking the CF grips more so far. They will take thicker rooted blades than the metals.
Somewhere somebody offered MicroHeli blades at a cheap price, so, I bought a pair (they only had lowers). When I got them, a note was attached saying they weren't available in just the blades, but as a set with a lower blade grip, so, I got a lower blade grip included for free. Well, I'm amazed that they get a small fortune for the MicroHeli grips because they seem to be a cheap pot metal casting and are very tiny.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
i guess i will just ask this since after accidentally stumbling over this heli it looks pretty cool! can i use a 1000mah 2s lipo in this heli rather than a 800mah lipo?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
i guess i will just ask this since after accidentally stumbling over this heli it looks pretty cool! can i use a 1000mah 2s lipo in this heli rather than a 800mah lipo?
as long as you are able to mount the battery sure ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Just remember, larger battery is heavier. That puts more demand on the motors so watch the heat. It will discharge the battery at a faster rate as well. You will most likely get a little more run time but its not linear. Handling will be affected as well.

Try it, report back with pictures!!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
okay thanks guys!
jrjr- i dont have this heli right now and im thinking of maybe making it my first heli (rather than the mcx2) so i cant get any pictures yet.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
my first coax (the second heli after being delusional enough to think I could learn to fly rc helis with a walkera 4#3 (the original biatch ... ...) was a Colco Apache - which also had a 1000mAh battery - it flew just fine (today I can say also slow ... but by then it was fine - especially if it is the first learner heli ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
okay thanks guys!
jrjr- i dont have this heli right now and im thinking of maybe making it my first heli (rather than the mcx2) so i cant get any pictures yet.
Not a bad choice at all. They are a little larger so they are easier to see if that's important. A little more intimidating inside if you are new.... and not as forgiving in a crash. First mods would be swing blades.....
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Not a bad choice at all. They are a little larger so they are easier to see if that's important. A little more intimidating inside if you are new.... and not as forgiving in a crash. First mods would be swing blades.....
cool thanks. i've flown planes so i have orientation down...i just thought it would be cool to have a larger coax rather than a micro one. i also love the scale bodies that are available!

erdnuckel2- i have heard of the colco, but am looking into a horizon heli. the colco doesn't look that bad though.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
cool thanks. i've flown planes so i have orientation down...i just thought it would be cool to have a larger coax rather than a micro one. i also love the scale bodies that are available!

erdnuckel2- i have heard of the colco, but am looking into a horizon heli. the colco doesn't look that bad though.
the colco was not "meant as a recommendation" - I just mentioned it because it has the 1000mah battery standard (and because it happened to be my first coax) - I broke it rather quick and decided to get a LamaV4

If you want a Blade - it's a good choice (got a few of these myself ... )

cx3 folding blade conversion.wmv (6 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
okay i understand now erdnuckel. thanks. oh by the way, is that you flying in the video?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
okay i understand now erdnuckel. thanks. oh by the way, is that you flying in the video?
... was a long time ago ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
... was a long time ago ...
it wasn't that bad. i will probably be doing A LOT worse when i get my first heli.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
it wasn't that bad. i will probably be doing A LOT worse when i get my first heli.
thank you - I am looking at my "early" stuff with the coaxes a little differently now that I am almost exclusively flying the V911. I havent flown a coax in a VERY long time ... the last was my Twister Seaking ... and I crashed it ... (as usual ...)

At least, with the V911 being as light as it is, crashes usually "exhibit" very little effect on the heli

(take for example the end of this video: ...)

V911 with "paddled flybar" 1st flight (1 min 39 sec)

RCG Plus Member