HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,747 Posts
The usual "I can't hear you!" failure to bind is rapid flashing of the red LED. Slow flashing is new to me. I think it wants to know why you stuck an Eflite 4-in-1 in an Esky heli. It's not happy!!!!!!!!
Posting that you don't know where the Velcro came from or who makes it is a teaser, Mike. I have been using the HK blue stuff and you get a LOT of it for cheap money. It depends how big/ FAT the battery is before I want something else with it as back up. You really don't know where you got it? Is that part of CRS?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:48 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Jack, I swear to God, the velcro is unmarked and I forget where I got it. It can easily be matched up thought. I'm still trying to get a measurement on the hook curve

I have my eye on some hook material that is close to the "no name."

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Hey Guys, quick question (i hope). I was flying my V4 with the EFLH1024 RX. At one point early in a flight I noticed the orange light on the brick flashing (slow). Heli was flying fine. no problems at all. I landed and changed out several batts. Every time I plugged up, I got the slow flashing orange light but was still able to fly. I stopped flying it as I knew something was wrong....But what? Do I need to do a "re-bind ya think."???@Jack and others with the credit card mod...
I tested out the new and improved velcro holder. I did several "touch and go's"...some a bit harder than others trying my best to dislodge the battery from the holder and the battery held tight
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10194

The answer was steering me in the face. It's all about "surface contact" of the velcro I even have a hard time peeling the battery off..

Mike.
Nothing is really wrong, the slow flashing orange light is showing that there was a break in continuity. When you change out a battery pack you need to turn off the transmitter, and turn it back on before powering up the heli. This will reset the fail safe setting in the control unit, and your good to go.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Nothing is really wrong, the slow flashing orange light is showing that there was a break in continuity. When you change out a battery pack you need to turn off the transmitter, and turn it back on before powering up the heli. This will reset the fail safe setting in the control unit, and your good to go.
Thanks Flyeraroo,,,..Will I need to power down the TX every time on a battery change OR just when it does the slow flashing orange thingy?? I think I remember you telling me something about this "continuity break" thing when I first made the switch over from the Esky 72MHZ. If I remember, the other/older brick didn't have this feature. Am I warm??

Mike.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:34 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Flyeraroo,,,..Will I need to power down the TX every time on a battery change OR just when it does the slow flashing orange thingy?? I think I remember you telling me something about this "continuity break" thing when I first made the switch over from the Esky 72MHZ. If I remember, the other/older brick didn't have this feature. Am I warm??

Mike.
That's correct, the older units didn't have the fail safe installed. Yes, you will have to turn off the tx everytime you change batteries, or the orange light will flash. (or should flash) Once your all powered up, you can test the fail safe by disconnecting the battery and plugging it back in with the tx on. The same result should happen, setting off the fail safe device in the unit. It's nice if one has a wire connection shorting out you will know there has been a break, so you know what to look for.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
That's correct, the older units didn't have the fail safe installed. Yes, you will have to turn off the tx everytime you change batteries, or the orange light will flash. (or should flash) Once your all powered up, you can test the fail safe by disconnecting the battery and plugging it back in with the tx on. The same result should happen, setting off the fail safe device in the unit. It's nice if one has a wire connection shorting out you will know there has been a break, so you know what to look for.
AAAHHH, most excellent. Thank you again Sir. I shall have to try and file this one up front of my brain

Mike.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
it went up then came down.. on it's own..

Well I had my first flight tonight sense getting it off the gym roof and it was flying ok. Had a slight breeze and a stock body so it wasn't a great experience but then the rotors just cut out and down it went from about 15-20 feet. I'm NOT buying new stock skids! Boomtown, I'll be visiting you after this post. Rear canopy broken, also getting a boom from Boomtown. When I finally get a CP and am not flying the CX anymore, I'll put the stock body back on for display. Unless anybody has experience with the Jet Ranger body, is it stronger? more crash resistant? But I'd really like to know why my rotors cut out. When I picked it up and tried the throttle, they started spinning again. So I took the other skid off and just laid it on its belly and took off that way. With the sun setting and no skids, it looked like Airwolf! Anybody know what happened? I searched this thread but didn't come up with anything, maybe I'm wording it wrong.
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Sounds like you lost contact between heli and TX. Are the batteries fresh in the TX? Is the antenna "cocked" to the side so the tip is not pointing directly at the heli?

Mike.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,208 Posts
I have had this happen numerous time with the stock LP5DSM tx. Never since I upgraded to the Dx6i and then the DX7. I have had it hundreds of feet up and out.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,747 Posts
That sounded more like an Esky 72Mhz problem than a CX-2 problem. I have never had that problem with the stock transmitter, but things can happen. I LOVE that JetRanger canopy, BUT, it's a one piece canopy and I just put that problem to rest on my Esky A-300. It looks great, but it's a giant PITA to have to deal with when you're having problems. I also didn't think it flew that great with a full canopy on it. For one thing, if there is any vibration in the drive train at all, the whole canopy picks it up and not only vibrates, but makes a heck of a racket too.
All of that being said, I don't care what skids or canopy you have, if you drop it from 15-20 feet up, you have to expect damage. That boom is sticking out a good foot or more unsupported and something has to give, no matter who you buy it from. My booms are Xtreme brackets with pieces of CF rod and a fin, if you want one. The indestructible skids are good enough for me.
It isn't going to cost you anything to try out a range test. Set the heli down and have somebody watch it. Start backing away until you just don't get any response from the heli. If it weren't for the fact that you cannot store any model information in that stock transmitter, I might not have bought a programmable radio. I flew my recently modded CX-2 on that heli and adjusted the external gyro gain with the knob up on the top. It worked fine.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like you lost contact between heli and TX. Are the batteries fresh in the TX? Is the antenna "cocked" to the side so the tip is not pointing directly at the heli?

Mike.
The batteries aren't totally fresh but the display is reading 6.0v. I've never cocked the antenna, are you supposed to? The heli was kind of off to the side about 30 feet away when it dropped. The antenna wasn't pointed at it. I hear Hobbytown has good customer service, maybe I'll give them a call and see if they know what the problem could be.

Luvmyhelis, if I get another radio, I would probably just get the 450 3D (sense it comes with the Dx6i) and put the 450 away until I'm ready for it.

Kodak_jack, I realize that something would break from that height, I'm just tired of buying the stock skids so I'm going to try boomtowns. Do their boom kits hold up better in crashes? I guess I'll wait on the Jet Ranger body until I'm better at this stuff (although this last crash wasn't my fault, I don't think anyway). Do you make your own booms?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
oops my bad...thought it was the mcx2 thread....no wonder there was a big difference in battery size.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 11, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
@Pilot Yes, the antenna really should be cocked to one side. You "think" you may not be aiming the antenna at the heli but, how can you fly watching your heli and be turned to the side? I always face my heli.....Well, most of the time.

My flying partner has the Boomtown unbreakable skids and the Boomtown Model 4 boom. I also have the Model 4 boom. I love their boom design in that it has a "break-away" where it attaches to the bottom of the main frame. A simple design to keep from breaking your main frame. These two parts hold up very well in crashes.

Mike.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post

Kodak_jack, I realize that something would break from that height, I'm just tired of buying the stock skids so I'm going to try boomtowns. Do their boom kits hold up better in crashes? I guess I'll wait on the Jet Ranger body until I'm better at this stuff (although this last crash wasn't my fault, I don't think anyway). Do you make your own booms?
You can make your own boom once you have a bracket to mount it to. I have used an aluminum boom as well as a CF boom. When I bought my CX-2, it came with a boom that didn't seem to have any logical way to mount it, so, it went in my parts box. I later had the Xtreme bracket with an aluminum boom mounted over the "nipple" or whatever you'd like to call it at the end. I had a bad landing and snapped that part of the bracket off. I made a nice clean end where it broke by using a file. I then pulled out the 5MM boom that originally was on it and drilled a hole where the nub/nipple was sticking out originally. I drilled it deep enough that a good inch of boom is inside the bracket.
Xtreme Boom Bracket:
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1461

Note: This bracket normally has four screws at the end where the boom is and I removed two of the screws so they didn't interfere when I drilled my hole. Translating 5MM = ~ 0.200" = #9 drill @ 0.196". A fin or two for esthetics is optional.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Apr 12, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
@Pilot Yes, the antenna really should be cocked to one side. You "think" you may not be aiming the antenna at the heli but, how can you fly watching your heli and be turned to the side? I always face my heli.....Well, most of the time.

My flying partner has the Boomtown unbreakable skids and the Boomtown Model 4 boom. I also have the Model 4 boom. I love their boom design in that it has a "break-away" where it attaches to the bottom of the main frame. A simple design to keep from breaking your main frame. These two parts hold up very well in crashes.

Mike.
Well Chap, the HH product support said what you said about the antenna needed to be angled to the right or left (not that I didn't believe you), so I've give that a shot and hopefully it fall out of the sky again.

Kodak_Jack, so it looks like you ended up mounting your boom like the Boomtown Model 4 boom after you had your crash and the nipple broke off, right? Thats how it looked to me so with that and what Chap said, I just ordered a Model 4 boom and some unbreakable skids. I'm interested in seeing how the flight characteristics change.

And in the vain of making the CX2 more crash resistant, I'm looking at the Xtreme swivel blades with holders. Have people had good luck with these? It appears that I've been infected with the mod bug.....