HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
Notarealpilot
If you get a 450 cp heli either go with the flymentor on a flybarred heli or get an SK720 and go fbl. You can tune them to run like a very well mannered coaxial. Even moreso since the larger blades create a larger disc area and they are actually easier to fly than the smaller ones. I have lots of guys flying both now successfully I have walked through the setups on. In fact I just built a new custom ground up (not a stock part) B400 stretched 6s flymentored heli that can darn near fly itself for a guy. You can set the TX down and it will sit there and hover till the batt dies in the same spot.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Looking for info on this transmitter

Hello everyone; My name is Bill and I have a question about the transmitter that came with my Blade CX2 back in May 2009. I stopped using it when I brought the DX6i. My question is this. Does anyone know anything about the range of the LP5DSM( DSM 2) transmitter? I'm donating a few planes to the local high school and I want to bind this transmitter to a old PZ F-4U Corsair. I seem to remember when flying the Blade CX2 outdoors it didn't seem to have much range. At about 50 yards it would just fall out of the sky. I don't know if the receiver in the CX2 or the transmitter was short range. If anyone knows anything about this transmitter, please tell me the specs on it. I can't find anything on line about it . Here is a picture. Thanks in advance Bill
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
Bill, that stock transmitter has a range of about what you talked about, but then again, that's about what you'd like a newbie to stay within. I have a Champ and flew my first season with the video game controller style of transmitter and was thinking of going to that pictured transmitter for a while to see how it would be. I think it's a Spektrum system transmitter and is worth having a round.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,495 Posts
Hello Bill, That is very noble of you donating some RC planes to the local HS. What I do know about the LP5DSM is that the "LP" means "low power." A friend here on RCG gave me a HP6DSM (HP=high power). Dip switch #4 which controls the yaw is no good. It slowly and totally reversed yaw leaving me think "ALL" my motors were going in "ALL" my helis which you and I know is impossible to happen all at once. If you can find someone (or do it yourself) to replace that #4 dip switch (possibly out of your LP5DSM) you would have a fine TX at no cost that should handle some decent range. It comes with the original box. Right now it's just collecting dust and I would love to see it in the hands of a noob who wants to learn to fly. My heart swells with joy every time I hear of people doing nice things to help others getting started in RC flying.

I see you live in VA and I'm in MA so, the shipping shouldn't be to costly.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Hello everyone; My name is Bill and I have a question about the transmitter that came with my Blade CX2 back in May 2009. I stopped using it when I brought the DX6i. My question is this. Does anyone know anything about the range of the LP5DSM( DSM 2) transmitter? I'm donating a few planes to the local high school and I want to bind this transmitter to a old PZ F-4U Corsair. I seem to remember when flying the Blade CX2 outdoors it didn't seem to have much range. At about 50 yards it would just fall out of the sky. I don't know if the receiver in the CX2 or the transmitter was short range. If anyone knows anything about this transmitter, please tell me the specs on it. I can't find anything on line about it . Here is a picture. Thanks in advance Bill
The best thing for you to do in my opinion is to do a range check. 2 people, 1 with the transmitter and the other with a model, and walk away from each other until the signal is dropped. This way you will know first hand, instead of going by someone else's input.
I use a couple of LP5DSM transmitters on my helicopters and planes, and have not had a signal loss. I find the LP5DSM to work much better than the dx6i, and the dx7 on my 4 channel EFLH1024 4 in 1 control units. It could be the "low power" in the tx that was mentioned, but the models fly smoother with the LP5DSM than with the higher end transmitters. I should also mention that I have bound the EFLH1024 control units to the cheaper DSM2 transmitters that come with some smaller helicopters and planes, (hobbyzone, parkzone) and the control was terrible. I would definitely stay away from those type of transmitters.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
My experience is quite the opposite of flyeraroos, I got rid of all mine but one. I had expensive helis dropping from the sky with my LP5DSM at about 100ft even using the 6100e rx. With my DX6i and Dx7 I can reach out about a full mile. I am pretty sure that if you use dual sats you can use the LP5 farther out though.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,040 Posts
Another tree trimmer!!!! Awesome!!! Welcome Bill.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,495 Posts
When I had my HP6DSM paired up to the EFLH1024 RX on my V4, the range I got was very impressive. Unfortunately, because the V4 is small, I loose orientation at around 150'+. I have easily had her above the pine trees in my back yard. Check out "Find All Attachments By Chap1012" when you click on my user name. You will see pictures of those pines and more.

Click the pic and you can enlarge it, and it also gives you a description and a link to that post

Please disregard some of the pictures

BTW, now I have my V4 (EFLH1024) paired to my DX6i

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Another tree trimmer!!!! Awesome!!! Welcome Bill.
Lee
The best view in town! Thanks Bill
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Bill, that stock transmitter has a range of about what you talked about, but then again, that's about what you'd like a newbie to stay within. I have a Champ and flew my first season with the video game controller style of transmitter and was thinking of going to that pictured transmitter for a while to see how it would be. I think it's a Spektrum system transmitter and is worth having a round.
Thanks kodak_jack. Now that I know that it is a short range transmitter I would be afraid to give it to West Potomac high school. I just know that the students would be flying further out of range of this transmitter. Thank you for your info. Bill
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Hello Bill, That is very noble of you donating some RC planes to the local HS. What I do know about the LP5DSM is that the "LP" means "low power." A friend here on RCG gave me a HP6DSM (HP=high power). Dip switch #4 which controls the yaw is no good. It slowly and totally reversed yaw leaving me think "ALL" my motors were going in "ALL" my helis which you and I know is impossible to happen all at once. If you can find someone (or do it yourself) to replace that #4 dip switch (possibly out of your LP5DSM) you would have a fine TX at no cost that should handle some decent range. It comes with the original box. Right now it's just collecting dust and I would love to see it in the hands of a noob who wants to learn to fly. My heart swells with joy every time I hear of people doing nice things to help others getting started in RC flying.

I see you live in VA and I'm in MA so, the shipping shouldn't be to costly.

Mike.
Sure Mike; I'd love to give the HP6DSM a try. I have a flying friend that does electronics for a living. He would change out that dip switch for free. I'd make sure the HP6DSM has a good and useful home at the high school. I''ll gladly paid shipping. I'll PM you with my address. Thanks BIll
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
The best thing for you to do in my opinion is to do a range check. 2 people, 1 with the transmitter and the other with a model, and walk away from each other until the signal is dropped. This way you will know first hand, instead of going by someone else's input.
I use a couple of LP5DSM transmitters on my helicopters and planes, and have not had a signal loss. I find the LP5DSM to work much better than the dx6i, and the dx7 on my 4 channel EFLH1024 4 in 1 control units. It could be the "low power" in the tx that was mentioned, but the models fly smoother with the LP5DSM than with the higher end transmitters. I should also mention that I have bound the EFLH1024 control units to the cheaper DSM2 transmitters that come with some smaller helicopters and planes, (hobbyzone, parkzone) and the control was terrible. I would definitely stay away from those type of transmitters.
Range check complete. Lost signal completely at 150 feet. To short range for a plane. Don't know why I didn't think of doing a range check before. DUD Anyway I got lots of good info about this transmitter. Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
My experience is quite the opposite of flyeraroos, I got rid of all mine but one. I had expensive helis dropping from the sky with my LP5DSM at about 100ft even using the 6100e rx. With my DX6i and Dx7 I can reach out about a full mile. I am pretty sure that if you use dual sats you can use the LP5 farther out though.
Thanks Luvmyhelis for your input. All the rest of my planes and helis are either on my DX6i or my Futaba 8 FG. I'll replace the dip switch as Mike suggested on his HP6DSM, test it and then donate to the school with the PZ F-4u corsair. I'm also donating two original hobby zone super cubs and transmitters in excellent condition . I just have too many planes!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
but maybe someday....
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Notarealpilot
If you get a 450 cp heli either go with the flymentor on a flybarred heli or get an SK720 and go fbl. You can tune them to run like a very well mannered coaxial. Even moreso since the larger blades create a larger disc area and they are actually easier to fly than the smaller ones. I have lots of guys flying both now successfully I have walked through the setups on. In fact I just built a new custom ground up (not a stock part) B400 stretched 6s flymentored heli that can darn near fly itself for a guy. You can set the TX down and it will sit there and hover till the batt dies in the same spot.
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I think before I get a CP, I better get a simulator. Anyway, I didn't even know about the flymentor and SK720 technologies! That's pretty cool! Luvmyhelis, do build heli's for customers? Or do you own a hobby shop?
I got the CX2 back and the damage wasn't to bad. The battery;however, is shot. I guess from being plugged in all night on the roof of the gym. My LHS has been having trouble getting batteries for awhile now, where do you guys get them online?
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post
I got the CX2 back and the damage wasn't to bad. The battery;however, is shot. I guess from being plugged in all night on the roof of the gym. My LHS has been having trouble getting batteries for awhile now, where do you guys get them online?
The Rhino batteries are great and cheap from Hobby King, BUT, they don't fit in the stock CX-2 battery tray. You would need to do a creit card mod. Essentially, you use a thin flat piece of plastic, like the annoying credit cards that come with those great deals. Cut the plastic so it fits between the rails of the battery tray. Cut away the U-shaped parts of the tray that actually help contain the battery. Add 4 holes so the plastic is held by the same screws that hold the tray to the frame. Add Velcro that you can also get from Hobby King so one half is on the plastic and the other is on the battery.
Rhino batteries $5.79 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...poly_Pack.html
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack