HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,813 Posts
Welcome to the great world of the CX-2. Did you buy a $$$$$$ new CX-2? Most of us have forgone the tail canopy in favor of a boom. It's easier to work on that way. My fingers are always on the sticks, so, I don't pay attention to drift, I just compensate. Unless you're getting into a brushless/ separates system, I don't think guys here have gone to an external gyro. Some don't even fly outside, so, how far do you need to go to keep a simple coax under control? The metal parts aren't absolutely necessary, but pivoting blade grips are. No sense replacing blades faster then socks. I have the Xtreme composite grips and I think they fit the bill pretty well. Let us know what you have in mind and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,813 Posts
Hey, Chap, when the receiver from my brushless mod was put on the bottom of the front shelf, it blocked the front mounting tabs. I was thinking of using the 1/8" tubing I mentioned before, but decided to see what would happen if I just pushed the CF rod through a spot that was near the mounting tabs. It works. This is a Stamp special Lama 3 canopy, so, it's smaller than what most of you guys are dealing with. Also remember, I have an external gyro sitting straight up and it still works.
I also have Stamp AFC blades painted about the same as the canopy that I'll put on, take a pic of and post.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Feb 25, 2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
14 Posts
Why two different CX2s fly much differently?

REPOSTED FROM THE GENERAL COAXIAL THREAD. Not many replies there.

I have a question about why two different CX2s fly much differently and how to make them more similar.

Background: I have experience with 60 size Xcell helicopters in the past about 15 years ago. Never was a pro but could easily hover and fly around; and this was before the better gyros. 10 years ago I traded all my gear for a Bridgeport mill and didn't fly for years.

Months ago I got a SYMA 107 as a gift and liked it. Got a couple Force R/C 4 channels and flew those with much fun and ease. I still use a JR PCM 10SXII for the radio with one of those Spektrum modules in the back so I can bind to anything. Have all the features of that computer radio.

I wanted to advance some and liked the idea of the coaxial copter for more ease of flying and less pressure flying, less to break. (With a 60 size nitro chopper a bad landing costs minimum $50 and maybe much more depending.) With my bigger helis I had one that was all metal CNC upgraded and flew very precisely.

So I went on Ebay and bought a CX2 with all the CNC aluminum parts. That one was smooth but needed lots of pilot input, never anything near carefree hands free hover like the MCX2 types. Still have to have lot of focus, etc.. And thought that was that.

Went to a swap meet and got another CX2 that was stock. It flies much better as far as easy hovering, not going anywhere, etc.. So I know the CX2 can tame down.

Question is how to tame down the CNC one? I can use Expo and anything else on the PMC 10SXII radio
jrPCM10 is offline Find More Posts by jrPCM10
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
14 Posts
Found most of the problem. It had an aftermarket gyro and I bypassed that. MUCH better. Now it has a slow drift counterclockwise, need to hold right rudder to hold it.

But it is almost tamed down!
jrPCM10 is offline Find More Posts by jrPCM10
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,243 Posts
Glad that worked for you. Usually it is quite the opposite. The internal gyro in the controller is minimal at best and gives most of us barely adequate gyro control. So, the bulk of guys upgrading their systems nail down a decent gyro right off the bat and build around it. Look at the hundreds of older posts in here and the Lama 3/4 section and you will see endless positive posts from guys that have done this. Pretty much tells me the guy who sold you your upgraded CX had a bad gyro.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, IL, East Peoria
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Thanks Kodak !!! I have only flown inside but would like to take outside sometime when the wind dies down.I have a tail boom on the way but not pivoting blade grips..actually i wasnt happy with the g90 as it has some weird vibration thing going...and never did hold perfect as i had expected....so i took it off and realized the cx was just fine without...it hovers almost hands off for a few seconds but will start to slide left or right a little after a few...might be my small kitchen and the downdrafts or whatever..i have spare parts on the way but id hate to mess with it when it flys so good !!! Im very happy with the cx2 !!! also currently restoring my pops blade cp pro back to the original frame and everything as he had replaced all with aluminum...seemed too heavy..Thank you for your welcome and this forum is a great place for info !!!!
Tribal_Nuggett is offline Find More Posts by Tribal_Nuggett
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:13 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Yaw Speeds - Suspecting bad motor...

I recently picked up a used CX2, and have been going through it to get it flying. It came with an upgraded boom, and aluminum rotor heads. My recent upgrade was the aluminum frame from microHeli (part of the old plastic frame was cracked).

I've done some preliminary test hovers to see how everything is working. I noticed the yaw rate one direction is substantially more than the other (super fast vs unbearably slow).

Tx yaw trim is zeroed, and it hovers straight. I checked the proportional control on the 3-in-1 and found that the previous owner had it cranked to the extreme. I suspect one of the motors is dieing...what do you think?
jstluise is offline Find More Posts by jstluise
Last edited by jstluise; Feb 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal_Nuggett View Post
Thanks Kodak !!! I have only flown inside but would like to take outside sometime when the wind dies down.I have a tail boom on the way but not pivoting blade grips..actually i wasnt happy with the g90 as it has some weird vibration thing going...and never did hold perfect as i had expected....so i took it off and realized the cx was just fine without...it hovers almost hands off for a few seconds but will start to slide left or right a little after a few...might be my small kitchen and the downdrafts or whatever..i have spare parts on the way but id hate to mess with it when it flys so good !!! Im very happy with the cx2 !!! also currently restoring my pops blade cp pro back to the original frame and everything as he had replaced all with aluminum...seemed too heavy..Thank you for your welcome and this forum is a great place for info !!!!
The stock blades give great performance. The rippled edge tends to stiffen it a little and helps prevent coning of the blades. After that, they become a giant PITA because they break easily. You're also stuck with that exact blade as all others are designed for a pivoting blade holder:

Pivoting blade grips $10.95 http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=4675

Airy blades for Lama 4/ cx2 $8.90 http://www.helipal.com/airy-harden-blade-ax-03.html

Xtreme 55 Degree blades $3.30/pr http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/P...dles/ESL503-55

There are also blades from AFC, the stock Xtreme blades in three colors and other blades. The trick, no matter what you're buying, is to find one place to buy your stuff from so you don't get stuck for $$$$ in S&H charges from multiple dealers. There's a lot out there to choose from. Remember when you're going through the heli that the focus is on reliability and performance and bling is usually a waste of money.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:59 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstluise View Post
I recently picked up a used CX2, and have been going through it to get it flying. It came with an upgraded boom, and aluminum rotor heads. My recent upgrade was the aluminum frame from microHeli (part of the old plastic frame was cracked).

I've done some preliminary test hovers to see how everything is working. I noticed the yaw rate one direction is substantially more than the other (super fast vs unbearably slow).

Tx yaw trim is zeroed, and it hovers straight. I checked the proportional control on the 3-in-1 and found that the previous owner had it cranked to the extreme. I suspect one of the motors is dying...what do you think?
It may be that one motor is weakening as you stated. Unfortunately, one of our favorite replacement motor vendors, Aero-Nutz, is not shipping motors like they used to and that narrows things down considerably. Xtreme makes replacement motors. After that, many are at least thinking of going brushless. There's always the stock motors, but I think you're looking for something better.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
It may be that one motor is weakening as you stated. Unfortunately, one of our favorite replacement motor vendors, Aero-Nutz, is not shipping motors like they used to and that narrows things down considerably. Xtreme makes replacement motors. After that, many are at least thinking of going brushless. There's always the stock motors, but I think you're looking for something better.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to mess with the 3-in-1 a little bit just to make sure it does respond to tweaking the proportional. If it does just fine, then I'll try out a new motor(s). Might just get the stock; they are cheap and I just want to get up in the air.

I've seen the Xtreme motors, but at least a 20C battery is recommended. So for now, I will stick with the stock motors until I want to upgrade later. Brushless sounds pretty awesome!

I guess it could either be a weak motor or a bad 3-in-1...any other possibilities?
jstluise is offline Find More Posts by jstluise
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, IL, East Peoria
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
I think im Hooked !!!! I love this CX2 !!!! Replaced both inner and outer shafts...was a good learning experience...New flybar...Leveled swash...But something wasnt right, lots of vibration and TBE .I bought this used and turns out the previous owner had mismatched the upper blades..Did the soup can test (beer cans work too) ...refitted new blades that came with it and PRESTO !!!!! HHHAAA !!!! Hovers perfect !!! Couldnt have done it without the info from this forum. Will try the pivoting blades like Kodak had suggested next..Thanks everyone!!
Tribal_Nuggett is offline Find More Posts by Tribal_Nuggett
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
I would advise everyone to change out their stock blades for upgraded blades with blade grips. Stock blades almost have to be matched with the same number, which is a small number on the root area of the blade. Still that doesn't mean the blade will work correctly. They come warped sometimes also, and I tried boiling some in hot water, then laying them flat. All blades need to be balanced, but since switching to the Xtreme V1 blades I have had no issues on either one of my CX helis. I use the older Xtreme aluminum grips, which are no longer made, but are great grips. Xtreme has the composite grips now that some are using, but they need to use shorter ball stems on the lower grips so the links from the swashplate sit more vertical. The composite grips are wider than my aluminum ones, and they used the same length ball stems in both. I also had a set of plastic grips that Helitek used to sell. I really liked them, and I believe they were the same as the Esky plastic grips.
One can use the stock motors with the Xtreme V1 blades, but with the amount of pitch on the blades it seems to require more power to fly them. So your flight time may decrease. I went to the Xtreme SE 180 motors, and that really made a difference when using the V1 blades. Xtreme now went with the Pros, which are suppose to be stronger than the SE motors, so it may take a higher "C" rating on the battery to power them. I only fly my CX's indoors now, so I am getting by with a 900mAh 10C battery with my SE motors. One would want a 20C like someone had mentioned earlier in this thread for the Xtreme Pros when flying outdoors. The nice thing about the Xtreme motors is one can replace the brushes when the motors start going weak. I have had mine for over a couple of years now, and have just replaced the brushes on both motors lately. The brushes are cheap compared to buying new motors, and are pretty easy to install. So I would recommend upgrading to the folding blades with blade grips, and more powerful motors to make them pop. (Boomtown Hobbies)
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,139 Posts
I'm fairly new to helis with the CX2 being my first of 3 helis I have. I also have a Blade Scout and an MSR, and love all three! The one thing that kept me from getting into helis has turned out to be one of my favorite things, maintenance and tweeking. Although my hobby budget is hating it!

The Scout is fun to torment the cat with and my daughter loves to put her hand out and have me land on it. The MSR is just a blast!! And as advertised is the PERFECT next step from the CX2!!! Love that lil heli!!!!

Yesterday both my CX2 and my MSR needed parts, and I was able to successfully handle both repairs. Tail boom on the MSR was cake. Replacing the inner & outter shaft on the CX2 was involved but still very easy and dare I say... fun.

For the CX2 I actually like flying it outdoors on calm days just to have space to move around. She flys very stable even with the E-Flite Bell Jet Ranger body done in Police decals (just to keep the kids in the neighborhood honest!), stable enough I've been able to hover, and walk under it and touch to bottom of it. Not really smart, but it was so darn stable!

I missed the posts about the "credit card battery tray mod", but came up with one of my own while repairing the shafts. I used a tool box tray divider, a couple of servo screws and a piece of velcro. Here's the pics FWIW:
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:58 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Nice! I like the idea about the tool box divider. I would expect it to be even more resilient than a credit card is.

Nice work!
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,813 Posts
Nice mod, moonbeam. I think the dividers are made of polystyrene, like a model car. That material would be available at most hobby shops in sheets.
To any of the newbies doing their first outer shaft replacements, remember that there is a brass washer that goes up against the bearing. It's very easy to overlook it and it messes everything up if you do. It goes on the outer shaft just above the gear. I LOVE that JetRanger canopy. Show us some pics.