Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Apr 2011
24 Posts
You guys seem to be CX2 experts so maybe you can help. It's off topic but I installed 180 motors from Boomtown and now I am chewing up the teeth on the outer gear. Seems like the pinion is not making enough horizontal contact. Thoughts?
PCURRY is offline Find More Posts by PCURRY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCURRY View Post
You guys seem to be CX2 experts so maybe you can help. It's off topic but I installed 180 motors from Boomtown and now I am chewing up the teeth on the outer gear. Seems like the pinion is not making enough horizontal contact. Thoughts?
It took me a while to find my posting on this, but here ya go.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...07057&page=327 scroll down and you will see what I did for better gear mesh. Since then I have went to the MicroHeli carbon fiber/ cnc frame, which is much better with no flexing, and no problem with gear mesh.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old May 29, 2011, 03:41 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCURRY View Post
I usually shim my motors using regular Scotch tape on one end or the other of the motor (i usually cover the hole on the motor and then ream the hole). Sometimes the motor needs to come up (which i just had to do) so I used a combo of very thin plastic (i mean very thin) and a little Scotch tape to "kick" it to the side.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; May 29, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
The easiest method is a well known and simple fix. The problem with almost every Xtreme motor is that the outer gear motor pinion is always set too low so that it hits the inner shaft gear and tears about 1/3 off of it. You want to know the absolute easiest fix?
Just add another brass washer at the base of the outer shaft gear where it comes into contact with the lower bearing. Even owning the CF body platforms I had the same issue. Instead of trying to raise the motor and possibly cause it to lean or create any instability and throw a ton of work into it, it is far easier to lower the gear set. If it still barely touches as about 1 in 4 still do then slightly undercut the brass pinion with a dremel.

This is the most used mod to fix this issue. And it takes about 1 second to double up the washers. Just make sure you lube them.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old May 29, 2011, 11:55 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
The easiest method is a well known and simple fix. The problem with almost every Xtreme motor is that the outer gear motor pinion is always set too low so that it hits the inner shaft gear and tears about 1/3 off of it. You want to know the absolute easiest fix?
Just add another brass washer at the base of the outer shaft gear where it comes into contact with the lower bearing. Even owning the CF body platforms I had the same issue. Instead of trying to raise the motor and possibly cause it to lean or create any instability and throw a ton of work into it, it is far easier to lower the gear set. If it still barely touches as about 1 in 4 still do then slightly undercut the brass pinion with a dremel.

This is the most used mod to fix this issue. And it takes about 1 second to double up the washers. Just make sure you lube them.
cant you just take a vise or a pinion puller and "move" the pinion in the right position on the motor shaft? wouldnt THAT be the easiest fix (provided you have the tools for it) ???
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
I tried this! And it ended up moving the shaft in the motor and ruining the upper bearing casing. It doesn't need to get any lower on the shaft with a pinion puller, but needs to move the opposite direction towards the motor. So you have to drive it the other way!
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
By the way, I just transformed my CX back into a flybarless version. I know this is a double post but I don't want to see this CX thread get lost in the archives.

Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,880 Posts
So what stabilizer system are you using for making this flybarless?? Flymentor? Beast? which one is it? ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
So what stabilizer system are you using for making this flybarless?? Flymentor? Beast? which one is it? ...
Look really close.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:04 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Look really close.
Ok, its the one from Skookum ... but it doesn't really say that in the picutres ... even the SK-360 is kind of hidden ... or is it SK-720 ?? ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:51 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,579 Posts
Looks good. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
I just talked to Dan at Dionysus last night and my new DD mixer should be done this week. this will be airborne by friday. After that I am going to attempt the GA-250 mod by OlliW and integrate it into this.

It is a 360. Although I have a couple of 760s but that is way overkill on a coax.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:33 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
Never looked though all the posts to see, but here is a link to shaft and folding blade upgrades for the CX2.
I have it, and it works fantastic!

http://www.flyrcrivesud.com/upgrade_parts11.html
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Last edited by Xanadu; Jun 08, 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:11 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
Never looked though all the posts to see, but here is a link to shaft and folding blade upgrades for the CX2.
I have it, and it works fantastic!

http://www.flyrcrivesud.com/upgrade_parts11.html
NO, it doesn't! We've moved away from Sonny's stuff a LOOOOOOOOng time ago.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:09 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
NO, it doesn't! We've moved away from Sonny's stuff a LOOOOOOOOng time ago.
Works great for me, don't know what your problem is. I have never seen this thing fly better.
Sometimes things from LOOOOOOOOOOOng ago are still good, just not NEWER.

I see you never offered an explanation, nothing. You going to bash, offer explanation why, define the problem, and offer a solution.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu