Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:34 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The pivoting wing/ CX2 being worked on in another thread is interesting. The best of both worlds. I can see you jumping into that one too.
Nah, I am leaving that one alone. Just not my cup of tea although I have researched it.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:19 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
homade tail boom

sorry its rough but it is just an idea/concept...I actually cut up my wifes HDPE plastic cutting board.she was thrilled
If you'll notice I put the horizontal fin on the tail at 15*-20* angle hoping for more forward flight... has anyone played with concept before? also I lightened the flybar and moved my battery way forward. I'll have to get back to ya on the flight charactoristics. I see that RcRiveSud makes a tail boom with moving funs. Does it work?
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
Outstanding! No, the Rcvd tail assembly has no real benefit. Most of these helis will never achieve enough forward flight speed to actually use the rear stabilizer to any great degree although lots of guys have tried. As KJ quoted a more than a few pages back you can effectively fly these with no tail at all. Your workmanship is incredible! I tried a tail mount much like this about a year ago, not nearly as well done as yours. And I could not get the tail boom to stay solidly mounted in the boom support for more than a few flights. Either the plastic mount was stretching out the hole or the aluminum boom was compressing. I never did find out.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
sorry its rough but it is just an idea/concept...I actually cut up my wifes HDPE plastic cutting board.she was thrilled
If you'll notice I put the horizontal fin on the tail at 15*-20* angle hoping for more forward flight... has anyone played with concept before? also I lightened the flybar and moved my battery way forward. I'll have to get back to ya on the flight charactoristics. I see that RcRiveSud makes a tail boom with moving funs. Does it work?
Boy, you're ingenuity has certainly gotten you in deep with the person who will be doing the most complaining about how much time and money that helicopter is costing!!! You could have been just as happy with the Xtreme boom bracket and saved yourself all kinds of grief!!!!!!!!!
Xtreme tail boom bracket xtpbcx011 $3.90 Boyz Toyz
Qualifies for their cheap $2.49 S&H too.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Boy, you're ingenuity has certainly gotten you in deep with the person who will be doing the most complaining about how much time and money that helicopter is costing!!! You could have been just as happy with the Xtreme boom bracket and saved yourself all kinds of grief!!!!!!!!!
This is the avenue both KJ and I ended up using. I still have as of yet to paint mine black like his however. Here is part of our discussion
Kj's post on it is #22 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1331390&page=2
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
I have all the time in the world, I'm layed of and love exploring new ideas....I have tried "almost" every boom outhere and I really like the boomtown model 4. how do you like x boom mount system? I have stayed away from it only because I saw a vid on utube were a guy was the mount system but for the price I think I might try it.
By the way I only have about an hour into that whole boom
going to the indoor park in afew to try her out, I'll let you later how it worked. Also heres a peak at what else I've got going!!!
If she only knew....I'd say I crested thE $8 BILLS mark just in R&D
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
You can cut off the U-shaped battery holders and just leave the part that screws into the frame. You can also make another plastic piece that mounts below what's left of the battery holders and that gives you a nice flat surface for the battery to sit on. If your batteries are on the heavy side, you can make a U-shape piece out of music wire that goes around the battery and secures to each side of the frame. My Velcro didn't hold my stock battery well enough and it would come un-stuck mid flight on my Lama 4.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
I snapped! Yesterday after not being able to fly any of my newer modded vtail CX's due to some issues with my DD mixers that Dan at Dionysus is taking care of for me, I stayed up till 3am building a modded CX3 battlescarred body to have something to fly indoors. I swear it is made out of CA glue and tape.The wind has just been ripping outside for days on end with nasty weather. The only thing flying in my neck of the woods are trees as they are coming down. So I pulled an old plastic platform out of my parts bin and got started. I mounted up a stock set of motors that I had to pull back off a few times so I could properly dremel out the mounting holes to get correct gear clearance. Man, I forgot how crummy the stock plastic CX platforms were in that respect. Even my old stock servos needed work. I ended up adding a set of longer arms and 3rd holed the links to an old microheli swash. I had to loctite the correct sized balls into the swash and soak it in oil to loosen it up before installing it.
I pulled a bag of Xtreme gears and outer shafts out and discovered on every one of them that the bottom bearing for the inner shaft was pressed into the gear so it rotates out of round. I will have to make a note on my build sheet if this is the case with all of them. What happens is that it throws the inner shaft out of balance at the bottom as the outer shaft rotates and makes centering the shaft and measuring gear gap pretty tough. Since the plastic platform had a set of aluminum 450 skids mounted for my sons trainer I was going to build (vtail parts ordered and in the mail) I just left them on and carved up the CX3 glue-monster body to fit. I forgot how tail heavy these were until I started the first hover. OMG, it took some tuning but I got it perfect.
Also since I sent out the last CX3 3in1 to buluesz all I had left was my CX2 3in1 without a gyro, and my cheapie fake spectrum Rx, so in they went along with my last boomtown battery alarm lighting kit that needed some serious soldering work to mend all its issues. So did the 3in1 as I had robbed the battery lead out of it earlier. Then I took one of the many extended shafts now in my collection and added a carbon fibre spacer to it so I could clamp down the upper head. The stock upper plastic bearing support also wobbled out of round so I ended up fishing an old scarred up aluminum one out of my pile and putting it on. There was a baggie with some old leftover Rcvd grips that I then cut off the ball to get the flybar link to fit. I again just drilled and tapped it for a 3.5mm ball and hooked it up to my freshly made carbonfibre flybar since all my old stock ones were bent. I clipped the end off one of them and tediously pulled the center hub off the wire and replaced it with some 1.5mm shortened CF rod for two good reasons. One, it is much shorter and better performing, and two, I was able to bend it slightly to fit through the small opening in the CX3 without having to pull the whole top assembly off in removing the body. Which had to be done quite a few times. I did end up having to sand the balls on the flybar to allow the link to move easily by chucking the new assembly into a drill and just sanding the rotating ball much like a lathe with a file. I also ended up dremelling the lower link to clear the grips for full movement. Since I had a bag full of esky lower center hubs I used one instead of the eflite lower hub with the pins so that I could use a pair of those crummy Rcvd swash links that fit through the guides. A also used a heat sync on the motors just because I plan on torturing this thing. I put on a fresh set of Xtreme blue blades, charged up my batteries, and found an old indestructible battery tray that I modded to fit past the enormous skids, and now have the battle scarred Cx in the air! Yipppeeeee! I am flying, it is unbelievably ugly but it does the job.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:22 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,116 Posts
LMH...Dude...slow down. Lets take it one step at a time huh...

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:03 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
LMH...Dude...slow down. Lets take it one step at a time huh...

Mike.
LOL, sorry Mike, I was sooooo bored. I already scrapped the CX3 body and went to an Xtreme canopy, fabbed some new skids out of carbon fibre, and made my own aluminum tail boom this afternoon.
And they have me on drugs that are supposed to slow me down...........
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:05 AM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
LOL, sorry Mike, I was sooooo bored. I already scrapped the CX3 body and went to an Xtreme canopy, fabbed some new skids out of carbon fibre, and made my own aluminum tail boom this afternoon.
And they have me on drugs that are supposed to slow me down...........
LMAO Great job it looks sweet for a parts bin build...
my boy wants me to build him with a cx3 bodied heli and I keep telling him he's gunna destroy it. I think I might do something like this for him though, I have 3 cx3 bodies laying around that I tried to flee-bay and didn't sell.
Great job Luvmyhelis...I love you helis LOL
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
LMAO Great job it looks sweet for a parts bin build...
my boy wants me to build him with a cx3 bodied heli and I keep telling him he's gunna destroy it. I think I might do something like this for him though, I have 3 cx3 bodies laying around that I tried to flee-bay and didn't sell.
Great job Luvmyhelis...I love you helis LOL
Thanks bro, late yesterday it had another face lift though and it is going to stay this way.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
Quote:
Thanks bro, late yesterday it had another face lift though and it is going to stay this way.
You reached into your bag of tricks and just happened to have all of the color coordinating pieces?!!!! You're killing me!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
You reached into your bag of tricks and just happened to have all of the color coordinating pieces?!!!! You're killing me!
Yep, although I have to admit the tail boom was just a substitution for the old xtreme CF boom I could not find. I just sawed it down to size with my dremel and stuffed it on there. I also have the blue CX2 canopy laying in a drawer if you want me to stick it on there!!!!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,750 Posts
Quote:
Yep, although I have to admit the tail boom was just a substitution for the old xtreme CF boom I could not find. I just sawed it down to size with my dremel and stuffed it on there. I also have the blue CX2 canopy laying in a drawer if you want me to stick it on there!!!!
Yes, please.