HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
Cabool, MO
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
yeah it is really helpful to get answers fast so you're not screwing something up while you're waiting lol.
BIG MAN is offline Find More Posts by BIG MAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MAN View Post
huge thanks to sviking! that helped out so much. Now i can do some real flying!
Did it work? Also, pay attention to the part where you have to power down and re-initialize the helo every time you make an adjustment or it won't take affect. On my old CX2 unit, I never did get the pot dialed in to where it was perfect. It always needed some adjusting from pack to pack. Not really a big deal as I just flew the tail. But, it's been collecting some serious dust as I haven't flown it once since getting the mSR.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
Cabool, MO
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
how do you like the mSR?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
how do you like the mSR?
Fantastic. What a cool little helo. I am completely unable of putting less than four packs through it once I pick it up. I have a lot of experience with glow powered R/C helos, and the real thing as I'm a rated helo pilot (ex-Navy), but certainly not with the little indoor electric ones. I started with a POS Co Co Lama years ago. It was a co-axial, like the CX2, but it was basically a piece of garbage (crappy gyro, burned out ESCs/motors, etc) and I gave up on it. It's still in a box somewhere.

Then I got the CX2 and life was good again because I had something to fly indoors that was actually, well...flyable... I quickly got bored with it (and had some technical problems), so I started looking for something better. At $100 for the BNF mSR with charger/batts, I figured it wouldn't be that big of a loss if it sucked. But, a lot of people seemed to really like theirs and I was not disappointed. It actually flies like a "real" helicopter and it will get up and GO if you let it. The co-axes do okay, but they just feel weird in the air to me as they don't fly like what I'm used to.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The mSR is the most "smiles per dollar" I've ever experienced out of any R/C aircraft I've owned. So, yeah, I like it... I'll probably pick up another one for $80 without the charger/batts so I have a complete set of spare parts. The mSR just flies too well for being such an inexpensive and small helo. I was VERY surprised.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
Cabool, MO
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
thats awesome. well this is the first "real" rc heli that i have owned. i had a small china one and i got so mad at it and threw it away. then i started looking online at youtube again and got to wanting another one. long story short i got on here and found a CX2 for $90 and i bought it! LoL now that i got the pot fixed I can go crazy haha
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Don't go too crazy yanking and banking because you'll experience the "clack of death". That's when the upper and lower rotor systems and/or flybar, um, "meet" in flight. This is a well known "design issue" with the CX2/3 helos. It's what we pilots call a "catastrophic in-flight failure".

Try hovering and moving/sliding back and forth from side to side. Look at the tip path planes of the upper and rotor systems. If you get "aggressive" with yanking left and right, you can see how close those rotor tips get out at the ends.

The top disk wants to stay as level as possible due to the gyroscopic stabilization provided by the tip weighted flybar. This is excellent for hovering, but not very good for other regimes of flight...like actually moving around... It wants to "fight" your control inputs as it always tries to return to a stable hover. The lower disk is what actually controls the helo and needs to move (or tilt) laterally and fore/aft. It's also the only rotor system that has any connection at all to the swashplate, which is that "star" looking thing that has a rotating and non-rotating part which connects to the servos via linkages. The upper rotor blades are simply "free floating/feathering"... Yaw, or turning about the main rotor shaft, is accomplished by varying the speeds (and resultant torque) of the upper and lower rotor systems. That's why a vertically mounted tail rotor, like a single rotor helo has, isn't needed on a co-axial design.

Okay, enough helo aero class for today
Last edited by sviking; Jan 19, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:28 PM
Cabool, MO
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
well im definitely trying to just hover and just fly in decent lines. I have a feeling i'm gonna need to upgrade in no time, because i can't seem to put this thing down LoL Do you have any other helos besides the mSR?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
No other helos that are currently flyable. I sold off most of my glow powered stuff years ago when I just couldn't keep up with the time/expense in the military, divorce, etc. I know I do have a brand new kit and a lightly crashed helo I never got around to fixing somewhere in storage, though. Need to break those out one day.

I'm really just getting back into the hobby after an almost 10 year hiatus... Electrics sure have changed a LOT from the lumbering, underpowered beasts I remember...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:43 PM
Cabool, MO
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
haha yeah they have. the bad thing about this hobby is that i may get super addicted haha
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
haha yeah they have. the bad thing about this hobby is that i may get super addicted haha
the bad thing (or good thing - this lies in the eye of the beholder) is:

(almost) EVERYBODY makes this experience sooner or later ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:38 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
Sviking, you might just wanna look into a walkera Ufly. It is pretty awesome. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Sviking, you might just wanna look into a walkera Ufly. It is pretty awesome. Lee
Looks okay. I like the all metal design, but I want a collective pitch bird next. I also don't want another transmitter. Even the BNF version says it's only compatible with Walkera TXs...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
That is true. I am about to spectramize mine. It only requires a ar6100 rx and a gyro. I just happen to have both. Can't wait to get my dx6i on it. hahaha. It has colective rotor on the tail ya know? It is pretty dang awesome. Some have fitted it in a scale cabin. I havn't yet. Frankly cause Miss Tina loves it pod and boom. hehe. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:26 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
That is true. I am about to spectramize mine. It only requires a ar6100 rx and a gyro. I just happen to have both. Can't wait to get my dx6i on it. hahaha. It has colective rotor on the tail ya know? It is pretty dang awesome. Some have fitted it in a scale cabin. I havn't yet. Frankly cause Miss Tina loves it pod and boom. hehe. Lee
How is parts support? I seem to remember reading where Walkers stuff was hard to find.

Also, I'm sure you know the difference between a collective pitch T/R and main rotor when it comes to aerobatics.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:51 PM
Cabool, MO
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
well in this short amount of time i have managed to hit a wall (not to hard) and now my ar6100 receiver won't turn on lol

any ideas?