HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:31 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlydude View Post
Now that's smooooth! I wonder if Skytec uses heavier flybar weights than most?
These are the small weights ... each weight is 3.6g
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TABLESAWTIM View Post
Hi kratos,

Add an up-greded gyro to the system.

You've gone this far, to stop now.

You'll have to seperate the 4in1.

This works with almost, all of the CLONE heli's of the kind.

A new gyro makes them so... fun to fly.

Tim
Or just get a CX3 with the heading hold gyro for $10 more than a CX2 3-in-one unit. $45 or so.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,017 Posts
I'm glad to hear the Eflite 3-in-1 is finally performing as advertised because when the CX3 first came out, they were burning up like crazy!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:59 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I'm glad to hear the Eflite 3-in-1 is finally performing as advertised because when the CX3 first came out, they were burning up like crazy!
Mine seems to be working great. I have 10+ flights on it now with the stock pack and a few with the two Tenergy 900mAh packs I just received in the mail today. LOVE the Tenergy packs, but I need a new charger as the stock E-flite one just takes to danged long...

As for the heading hold gyro, it does not work as well as a separate dedicated HH gyro like the ones I've used in larger glow powered helis. BUT, it works much better than the CX2 unit. And the Esky Co Co Lama I had years ago. That thing was a POS and the tail NEVER held worth a dang.

I still have to fly and trim the tail a bit with the CX3 unit, but that's okay as I actually like flying the tail. I have my gyro dialed down to 40% gain on my DX7 transmitter, so it holds...but it's a bit "soft/loose", which I like. No side-to-side twitchiness in the tail at all.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:32 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
However, if you install the lower rotor head it is recommended that you use blue loctite on the 4 small allens screws. Keeps them in place but if you have to replace an outer shaft, the loctitie makes it a bear to get the aluminum rotor head off. See there is a trade-off on everything.
The loctite is no big deal. If you're replacing the outer shaft, just heat the area up a bit with a lighter. Blue loctite releases easily with heat. Also, just grab the lower shaft at the bottom by the drive gear with pliers, twist and pull it out the bottom of the frame. Use a small crescent wrench on the flats of the aluminum lower rotor head. Who cares if you crunch the outer shaft/drive gear. You're replacing it anyway.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:11 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Or just get a CX3 with the heading hold gyro for $10 more than a CX2 3-in-one unit. $45 or so.
I have picked up 5 different 3in1 units brand new for under $15.00 each to replace the ones I was burning up before I started doing brushless builds. But darnit, I simply cannot find the thread where I was buying them from.
Oddly I have been telling guys all along that getting blue loctite off is as easy as heating it up but for some reason most of them simply will not listen. Even using it in upper end mechanical work on racecars we were getting it off with heatguns or our torches without any problems. Works perfect for setting helicoils for stripped out studs. The blue releases like butter at the right temp and is even easier to remove since it melts with a fairly low applied temp. It is wonderful in areas that receive lots of vibration as it acts as a cushion in the threads and its elastrometric properties keep the screw or bolt from twisting out, it actually fills in for a poor mechanical fit.
Sadly I often hear and see people who throw away the part after they strip out the allen bolt with their poorly made wrenches that were supplied with their kit or give up after stripping the wrench without trying to use heat. What a waste.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
OK, stop the presses...the CX2 is officially boring and NOT fun to fly...

Just kidding! It's still quite fun and unique for what it is, but... Holy Cow... I finally got my Blade mSR flying since I FINALLY received my replacement swashplate after I broke it before even getting to fly it. Ball snapped right off the swashplate arm when I tried to mechanically level the swashplate first.

Anyway, what a ton of fun. It flies like a "real" helicopter should with none of the quirkiness of the co-axes. Main and T/R motor and batteries overheating is a non issue. I flew four straight packs back-to-back and everything was just barely warm. So stable for such a small single rotor bird. The tail/gyro held perfectly right out of the box. A few clicks of trim either way is all that's needed for an entire flight. A big thumbs up to Blade/E-flite as they make awesome stuff!

I did have to give it a rubbing alcohol "water washdown" since I dumped it (pun intended) accidentally in the cat crapper in the basement. Talk about a sh*tty crash...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:44 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,180 Posts
HAHAHAHAHhahahaha. Ok, sorry. But that was funny. I don't care who ya are. haha. Yea, the msr is different and a whole lotta fun. They all are though. Each in a different way. Most people start selling what they don't fly as much. Then later buy another. My advice to you is to just shelve it for awile. You just might like flying one again someday. I thought I would never fly a certain copter again and shelved it. I am flying everyday now. Who would a thunk it. hehe. Happy Flying. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
HAHAHAHAHhahahaha. Ok, sorry. But that was funny. I don't care who ya are. haha. Yea, the msr is different and a whole lotta fun. They all are though. Each in a different way. Most people start selling what they don't fly as much. Then later buy another. My advice to you is to just shelve it for awile. You just might like flying one again someday. I thought I would never fly a certain copter again and shelved it. I am flying everyday now. Who would a thunk it. hehe. Happy Flying. Lee
Oh, most definitely! I'm not selling my CX2 "franken" CX3.

In fact, it and my new mSR are the only two helos I have right now. I got out of the glow powered game a while back when 25% nitro helicopter fuel was well over $30/gallon...and I blew through 1-1.5 gallons a weekend with the .60 sized birds. I have NO idea what that same fuel would cost now. Plus, I have a few "spectacular" crashes and always having to find a new flying field, hobby shop, etc was a major PITA every I transferred in the Navy. I got sick of the 1+ hour drives to an AMA sanctioned flying field. And, a lot of them (the club part) back then hated helicopters.

These electrics have come a LONG way since I remember first seeing them. They're so convenient and it's so easy to just "throw one up" in the air.

Lee, what "shelved" helo are you flying daily now?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,180 Posts
Hahaha, an mcx. But today, I am out playing in the snow. hahahaha. My backyard where I fly, is covered in it. Maybe 7inches, with an inch of ice glazing on top. Freezing drizzle. But, I can finally do touch and go's and TO and landings in my yard. I am taking full advantage of it. The whole dang yard is a landing strip. Wooot.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,310 Posts
sviking, I have heard nothing but good things from the guys flying the Msr. Your crash is the reason earlier I was inferring the upgrade parts for your CX. Believe it or not the flying charicteristic's of your frankenCX will be similar when you do these things. Sorry, I had to laugh at the kitty box fiasco. Two weeks ago I was outside flying my expensive vtail modded CX and my flybar froze it was so cold. It promptly rewarded me with a perfectly executed 40mph death roll. The odd thing was there was a perfect carpet of new snow everywhere it could have landed on that would have minimized the damage. But nooooo! It has to find the only solid object in God's earth sticking up out of the snow. A small solid iron cannon! I will not go on to explain the carnage or my comment upon impact. But the sound as it hit, I will never forget.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Yes, the mSR is GREAT! I never knew how well such a small, light micro helo could fly. I was always soured on electric helos as I remembered the dismal performances of the larger ones back in the early-mid '90s. These things have come a long way.

What's a "v-tail modded" CX? Got any pics/videos?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,180 Posts
LMH, OMgosh. hahahaha. I know that feeling sooo well. I had a beautifull plane that I love dearly. Maybe on the third flight. Was going perfect. Then it found the worst thing in the yard to hit. Like an iron lighthoust rail kinda thing. We use it in the garden sometimes for a beanpole or gourd support for loofas. Massive damage from the tiny I-beams. Like it dang near cut it into three or more pieces. hahahaa. But, it still is flying. Lee
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:49 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
cx2

The weather is bad, so my 450 is grounded..Tonight was a cx2 night..Anybody else doing the same if so post a pic of the mid flight..

[IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:01 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
OK, stop the presses...the CX2 is officially boring and NOT fun to fly...

Just kidding! It's still quite fun and unique for what it is, but... Holy Cow... I finally got my Blade mSR flying since I FINALLY received my replacement swashplate after I broke it before even getting to fly it. Ball snapped right off the swashplate arm when I tried to mechanically level the swashplate first.

Anyway, what a ton of fun. It flies like a "real" helicopter should with none of the quirkiness of the co-axes. Main and T/R motor and batteries overheating is a non issue. I flew four straight packs back-to-back and everything was just barely warm. So stable for such a small single rotor bird. The tail/gyro held perfectly right out of the box. A few clicks of trim either way is all that's needed for an entire flight. A big thumbs up to Blade/E-flite as they make awesome stuff!

I did have to give it a rubbing alcohol "water washdown" since I dumped it (pun intended) accidentally in the cat crapper in the basement. Talk about a sh*tty crash...
You're having all your fun in the house, and that's fine, BUT, it's going to be too light to fly outside under most conditions.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack