HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
KJ, I never knew that about Rick's King 2. When I met him, he showed me a 450 or 500 and said that it was the smallest copter he flew. He must have got the king 2 after that. Dang. I can tell you for sure that Rick is one great guy. Lee
When he came over to my son's house to help me with my King 2 during a visit, he pulled a 600 size heli out of his van and hovered in in my son's narrow driveway!!!!!!! He said teh first time he spooled it up was in his basement. He's got flying in his veins. He's from up my way in the Elmira area and is well acquainted with the Glenn Curtis Museum.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:00 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,827 Posts
I hate it about his king 2. I had not heard that. Kinda loss touch with him. I even lost his phone number. I think when this season is over and I get back to working steady again, I will try to make contact and invite him over for some fun and food. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:22 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,220 Posts
I have a serious problem with both those vids.

they are far too pretty to actually fly....lol
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:27 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
I have a serious problem with both those vids.

they are far too pretty to actually fly....lol
... but guess what

they actually did
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:12 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and "late" to the CX2 game, but I'm lovin' mine! Well, now that is...

The gyro portion of the 3-in-1 unit died. I could still fly the tail, but there was zip for gyro stabilization. So, I used the opportunity to upgrade to a CX3 unit and it is MUCH better...and only cost $10 more for the heading hold gyro. I also love being able to adjust the gain from the TX instead of using the pot manually. I have it bound with a DX7 that's simply superb.

Just today, I got it back in the air after a crash that took out my lower rotor head. Now I'm running the aluminum E-flite piece. No difference in flight...just hope it lasts more than one "oops", as the pins sheared during my first "real" crash other than carpeted tip-overs. Also running the aluminum swashplate as mine promptly separated in less than five flights. I "fixed" it with a touch of JB Weld, but I hate plastic swashplates and always upgrade them anyway. Still, that plastic swashplate should have lasted quite a bit longer. I'm definitely not new to R/C helos, but a beginner would have a HARD time diagnosing why his helo suddenly became a free flight one...

I also received two Tenergy 900mAh lipo packs. Man, what a difference. I logged 14 minutes of flight time, which is impressive because it takes more power to hover/fly as I'm at 6000ft MSL. The stock pack got me maybe 6-7 minutes.

Anyway, I love having something to toss around indoors and terrorize the cats. This a very nice "companion" hobby to my larger glow powered "outdoors" rotary and fixed wing aircraft.

So, that said... The stock charger is SLOW. Any recommendations for an after market charger that will SAFELY charge li-po batteries a good bit quicker and condition them as well? Thanks!
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:15 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and "late" to the CX2 game, but I'm lovin' mine! Well, now that is...

The gyro portion of the 3-in-1 unit died. I could still fly the tail, but there was zip for gyro stabilization. So, I used the opportunity to upgrade to a CX3 unit and it is MUCH better...and only cost $10 more for the heading hold gyro. I also love being able to adjust the gain from the TX instead of using the pot manually. I have it bound with a DX7 that's simply superb.

Just today, I got it back in the air after a crash that took out my lower rotor head. Now I'm running the aluminum E-flite piece. No difference in flight...just hope it lasts more than one "oops", as the pins sheared during my first "real" crash other than carpeted tip-overs. Also running the aluminum swashplate as mine promptly separated in less than five flights. I "fixed" it with a touch of JB Weld, but I hate plastic swashplates and always upgrade them anyway. Still, that plastic swashplate should have lasted. I'm definitely not new to R/C helos, but a beginner would have a HARD time diagnosing why his helo suddenly became a free flight one...

I also received two Tenergy 900mAh lipo packs. Man, what a difference. I logged 14 minutes of flight time, which is impressive because it takes more power to hover/fly as I'm at 6000ft MSL. The stock pack got me maybe 6-7 minutes.

Anyway, I love having something to toss around indoors and terrorize the cats. This a very nice "companion" hobby to my larger glow powered aircraft.

So, that said... The stock charger is SLOW. Any recommendations for an after market charger that will SAFELY charge li-po batteries a good bit quicker and condition them as well? Thanks!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1925
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Well from my experience, even my CX2 needs constant input. It's the nature of the beast.
Yes, most definitely. As a former Navy helicopter pilot and instructor, ALL helicopters, no matter how much AFCS/STAB/Autopilot stuff there is, will still need constant attention. R/C helos even more so, as they are not nearly as stable as full scale birds.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:49 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSmirk View Post
I took her down to the nothing last night in order to check the shafts and get a general idea of components. Nothing seemed to be wrong, and I was quite impressed with how simple and basic the design was. I'm an aero/mech engineer, which might help explain my view, but I was honestly expecting her to be more complicated.
As a full scale airplane and helicopter pilot (long time R/C, too), I was also impressed at how "simple" it was, especially compared to something like a .60 sized X-Cell glow powered helo. The real "magic" occurs in the 3-in-one unit's electronics and is what makes these things actually flyable. It's pretty cool how that little plastic case holds the speed controllers, mixer unit and heading hold gyro. I say heading hold for the gyro because my CX2 3-in-1 unit gyro died and I upgraded to the CX3 unit. Still not "perfect", but it's much better at holding the tail.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:14 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Blade tracking on CX2???

Sorry, deleted...wrong thread...
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,220 Posts
When I was still using 2cell batts on my helis the tenergy 900 was the best of the bunch. I have 6 of them and another 2 black cased 900"s with a 15c rating. I could pack up and literally fly for hours outside and rotate my batts through my GT A6 cheapie charger that I picked up shipped for less than $25.00 early last year. On one of my vtail brushless helis I could keep it up almost 16 minutes. I think it was about 2 years ago that I simply threw away most of my plastic swashes due to all the problems they caused and went with aluminum swashes. Back when hopmeup was selling them for less than $10 I ended up fitting 4 of mine with them on the upgrade trail.
The 3in1s are vastly superior to the 4in1s that inhabited most of the older CX2 due to the better headlock gyro, and I do have them both. But the 3in1 does not lend itself to brushless upgrades well while using the DX6i tx so I am getting rid of them slowly also. Sviking, you are using the DX7? Nice! That TX was on my want list all last year since it is so tunable for my 450 and the larger helos. Plus the other channel would come in quite handy for gyro/flymentor control instead of using secondary methods to access them during flights.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Anyone know the trick to get perfect blade tip tracking on the lower set of rotor blades? The blades are new and perfectly balanced. With no linkages that are adjustable, I'm at a loss...
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:33 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,827 Posts
Not that hard to do if your not color blind like me. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Anyone know the trick to get perfect blade tip tracking on the lower set of rotor blades? The blades are new and perfectly balanced. With no linkages that are adjustable, I'm at a loss...
Yes, I answered this on your other post, you are actually in the right place here! If you want to stick with stock blades the best thing to do is to go to your local hobbyshop (hs) and buy 3 to 4 sets of each of the blades. They tend to be brittle and realistically you need to match up sets of them out of the same mold that have identical charictoristics. You will need them! All of us crash, some more than others. In the stock blades sometimes all it takes is a small bump and they are out of pitch and tip alignment. And yes, this is not like the Cp helis where you can simply adjust the control links like I have done on mine half a hundred times (mr. anal here).
Welcome by the way!
And heating them up with a heat gun does work, it takes some finesse. Since you mentioned this I am guessing you understand what this involves.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:14 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Now that's smooooth! I wonder if Skytec uses heavier flybar weights than most?
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon View Post

I cut my lower blades to 5.5" from the original 6.125".

Happy flying!
Robert
Why cut the lower blades, which provide ALL of the cyclic control? By essentially going to a smaller rotor disk, you are removing control authority. I'm just an old washed up Navy helicopter pilot, but it would make more sense to me to shorten the upper blades. You'll still maintain the same (i.e. extra) clearance between the two rotor disks and the helo would be even MORE responsive as the (now) larger lower disk would override the upper one even more. The upper rotor disk/flybar is what provides the gyroscopic stability (sometimes too much) and shortening the blades and/or flybar would diminish that stability resulting in a more responsive helo. If it's too touchy in the hover, tweak it down with EXPO on your computer radio.