HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,839 Posts
I PM'd an admin about getting the 3 channels their own forum. I think we've done a lot of jawing about it as well as taking a poll. What else do we need to do?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:48 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Many of us use the Aero-Nutz motors, which have HUGE vents in the housing. The problem with Xtreme motors, and this comes from a dealer who frequents the threads, is that the brushes get knocked out of position, just in shipping, let alone during flying and crashing. The wires coming off those motors look as if they could carry enough current for your whole neighborhood.
EVERYTHING from Microheli is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Hey, I wish I could get away with charging $30+ for a non-functioning tail fin set!!!!! I'm glad you like the frame and have seen improvements because of it. Do they send you a chrome emblem that says Microheli, the Cadillac of heli parts?
I have to agree that this forum is just getting overrun with 2 and 3 channel GARBAGE! You can't find anything on here anymore. If anybody knows how to jack up the admins and get them their own forum, please advise. I've tried to do what was necessary to get the ball rolling, including the poll that Killbucket hijacked. I have no idea where this needs to go next. Maybe we need to post in this thread to show an interest?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1352836&page=2
Yes KJ, pulling the trigger on the frame definitely hurt. If there were better options I myself would have gone any route but this! I noticed that they jacked up the price of the swashes also at hopmeup from an affordable $10.00. Now thanks to some of the responses from you guys on the vtail thread at least I am getting some cheap good stuff out of china. The 2 complete Aluminum upgrade Esky kits (swash,shaft,grips, ect) that I purchased for less than $5.00) came in and they are not too bad! It has however been almost 7 weeks or more on the blade package I ordered, good thing I am not in a hurry.
On the HF forum the CX's and Esky 4ch stuff is segregated and easy to get to. But there is really not alot of activity on that site, plus it is so over regulated that it is bloody boring. Also when guys hop on the sites for info most of the old timers just refer to older threads instead of actually taking the time to just answer the question and help. We may have our problems here but this is still the best forum out there for coax stuff! All the forums seem to have quite a few cp threads going. but when I started exploring them a few years back up until now there really is nothing new happening there either except the addition of the flybarless setups and a few newer threads on flight stability systems. The 3ch stuff may be a pain, but it appears that they are and have been helpful to a multitude of people. I did notice that KB is back,,,,lol, I knew it wouldn't last long. This forum really involves a large chunk of peoples lives everywhere.
I have been flying both my Cx's inside now that it is in the minuses outside! I need some help too guys, if anyone knows where there is, or has access to a cheap g110 gyro please let me know!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:56 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
I have a CX2 for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested. Not using it since I got a MSR & a SR120 along with the Micro planes I got into.

Thanks for all the info on this thread.
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yes KJ, pulling the trigger on the frame definitely hurt. If there were better options I myself would have gone any route but this! I noticed that they jacked up the price of the swashes also at hopmeup from an affordable $10.00. Now thanks to some of the responses from you guys on the vtail thread at least I am getting some cheap good stuff out of china. The 2 complete Aluminum upgrade Esky kits (swash,shaft,grips, ect) that I purchased for less than $5.00) came in and they are not too bad! It has however been almost 7 weeks or more on the blade package I ordered, good thing I am not in a hurry.
On the HF forum the CX's and Esky 4ch stuff is segregated and easy to get to. But there is really not alot of activity on that site, plus it is so over regulated that it is bloody boring. Also when guys hop on the sites for info most of the old timers just refer to older threads instead of actually taking the time to just answer the question and help. We may have our problems here but this is still the best forum out there for coax stuff! All the forums seem to have quite a few cp threads going. but when I started exploring them a few years back up until now there really is nothing new happening there either except the addition of the flybarless setups and a few newer threads on flight stability systems. The 3ch stuff may be a pain, but it appears that they are and have been helpful to a multitude of people. I did notice that KB is back,,,,lol, I knew it wouldn't last long. This forum really involves a large chunk of peoples lives everywhere.
I have been flying both my Cx's inside now that it is in the minuses outside! I need some help too guys, if anyone knows where there is, or has access to a cheap g110 gyro please let me know!
Other forums use the brand and the model to segregate the heli discussions and at least you know where to go and know exactly where you DON'T want to go. I guess there are pluses and minuses.
Without going off here to look, does Xtreme make a frame for the Lama 4 and the CX2? I know at one time they made all kinds of frame choices for the HBFP and other Esky heli's. To be honest about it, I'm surprised that Xtreme spends the kind of money they do to develop products for heli's that don't have a huge following. I guess if you take into consideration how many of a certain heli might be out there, world-wide, it might be worth them doing what they do. Except for the bling factor and being able to say you have their stuff on your heli, I have no idea how Microheli gets away with their prices or how guys justify spending that much on parts. Yes, I'm a cheap SOB!
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:53 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Other forums use the brand and the model to segregate the heli discussions and at least you know where to go and know exactly where you DON'T want to go. I guess there are pluses and minuses.
Without going off here to look, does Xtreme make a frame for the Lama 4 and the CX2? I know at one time they made all kinds of frame choices for the HBFP and other Esky heli's. To be honest about it, I'm surprised that Xtreme spends the kind of money they do to develop products for heli's that don't have a huge following. I guess if you take into consideration how many of a certain heli might be out there, world-wide, it might be worth them doing what they do. Except for the bling factor and being able to say you have their stuff on your heli, I have no idea how Microheli gets away with their prices or how guys justify spending that much on parts. Yes, I'm a cheap SOB!
I had both the front battery tray pegs break off on mine plastic frame. I tried to glue them, but it didn't seem to work. I guess upgrading is up to one's preference, and I could see how the plastic frame was flexing to have both motors coming together. The heli flew fine, but I wonder if the gears would wear faster when the motors were leaning together. Yes, I agree, the price is outrageous, but if one is going to hang onto the heli the frame should last for quite sometime. With all the upgrades one installs on their heli, they will never get their money back if selling it. It doesn't matter if it's coaxial or cp, your going to take a loss if selling. I do believe the upgraded parts are not necessary, but I also believe they will last much longer than the plastic stock parts. Speaking of upgraded part, I have had 2 different makes of upper bearing holders, and neither one fit snug. The Xtreme one comes with sand paper, because they claim the housing can fit so snug. I installed mine on the Xtreme shaft, and it was so loose, that if I tipped my heli upside down it fell off on it's own. I also have an Eflite bearing holder, which is not a whole lot better. It doesn't fall off, but it's very loose, which I believe could cause a wobble or vibration in the upper rotor. So I am still using the stock plastic housing, which I push on rather firmly.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:27 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlydude View Post

Speaking of upgraded part, I have had 2 different makes of upper bearing holders, and neither one fit snug. The Xtreme one comes with sand paper, because they claim the housing can fit so snug. I installed mine on the Xtreme shaft, and it was so loose, that if I tipped my heli upside down it fell off on it's own. I also have an Eflite bearing holder, which is not a whole lot better. It doesn't fall off, but it's very loose, which I believe could cause a wobble or vibration in the upper rotor. So I am still using the stock plastic housing, which I push on rather firmly.
... and the solution to the problem is here:

http://www.helideluxe2010.ecrater.co...ng-housing-for

all the press-fit bearing housings are ultimately suboptimal! The way to go is mount your bearing housing with set screws - this allows to adjust the height to equal out small tolerances in shaft length ... or even extend the shaft by up to 5mm and it will for sure not fall of the shaft except you want it to ...

E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221 View Post
I have a CX2 for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested. Not using it since I got a MSR & a SR120 along with the Micro planes I got into.

Thanks for all the info on this thread.
Just remember, "You can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER leave".
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:36 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
... and the solution to the problem is here:

http://www.helideluxe2010.ecrater.co...ng-housing-for

all the press-fit bearing housings are ultimately suboptimal! The way to go is mount your bearing housing with set screws - this allows to adjust the height to equal out small tolerances in shaft length ... or even extend the shaft by up to 5mm and it will for sure not fall of the shaft except you want it to ...

E2
I have this part on my V4 and let me tell you guys...this is the balls....plain and simple

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Yes, Skytec has solved this issue! On my builds I have 3 different makes of upper bearing supports along with a mess of plastic stockers I use according to which outer shaft I am fitting them to. And KJ, there are tens of thousands of CX and L3 owners world wide using and buying microheli parts, in fact there have been runs on the frames and in particular the aluminum swashes that have stripped all the vendors bare worldwide more than once. Just because we are a small part of this forum doesn't represent how popular these are! From my understanding in china and throughout the mideast these and the Align 450 are the top selling helis of all time as a size and brand.
There are a zillion little 3ch knockoffs that remain popular for "cheap throwaway" helis but as a brand there has never been much of an aftermarket following on any of them or in other words any real marketed improvements. On both the CX's and Esky L3's you can build them from the ground up and never touch a factory part! The only other helis that you can do this with are the 450 sized CP's! All the rest of them force you to use some form of factory produced part somewhere in your build, oops, forgot the new 600 Xheli is producing on the cheap that I am collecting parts for.
What I am saying is this, aftermarket companies will only build where there is a proven market or proven demand. No one that stays alive in business builds or produces anything that does not sell or sells at a loss. Microheli and others like them look at the market first and then produce items they can make money at. For every 100 guys that buy a CX or lama3 only a small handful will ever join or even post up at a forum. Especially when all the problems and fix's are readily available on utube.
The best indicator of how poorly the aftermarket is on the 3 channels is to just look at all the people posting for help just on this forum! Almost everything they do is homemade.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,155 Posts
Quote:
Yes, Skytec has solved this issue! On my builds I have 3 different makes of upper bearing supports along with a mess of plastic stockers I use according to which outer shaft I am fitting them to. And KJ, there are tens of thousands of CX and L3 owners world wide using and buying microheli parts, in fact there have been runs on the frames and in particular the aluminum swashes that have stripped all the vendors bare worldwide more than once. Just because we are a small part of this forum doesn't represent how popular these are! From my understanding in china and throughout the mideast these and the Align 450 are the top selling helis of all time as a size and brand.
There are a zillion little 3ch knockoffs that remain popular for "cheap throwaway" helis but as a brand there has never been much of an aftermarket following on any of them or in other words any real marketed improvements. On both the CX's and Esky L3's you can build them from the ground up and never touch a factory part! The only other helis that you can do this with are the 450 sized CP's! All the rest of them force you to use some form of factory produced part somewhere in your build, oops, forgot the new 600 Xheli is producing on the cheap that I am collecting parts for.
What I am saying is this, aftermarket companies will only build where there is a proven market or proven demand. No one that stays alive in business builds or produces anything that does not sell or sells at a loss. Microheli and others like them look at the market first and then produce items they can make money at. For every 100 guys that buy a CX or lama3 only a small handful will ever join or even post up at a forum. Especially when all the problems and fix's are readily available on utube.
The best indicator of how poorly the aftermarket is on the 3 channels is to just look at all the people posting for help just on this forum! Almost everything they do is homemade.

sooo ... WHO wants one ??

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,155 Posts
Quote:
But this handful is the guys who are committed enough to this hobby to make it (and the "objects" that get used) all this fun for the "throwaway" society on youtube ... (oops, sound much more negative than it is ... ... but how do you say that with less negative words?? the mentality is all quick, all right away ... and then throw it away once the attention span runs out ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,839 Posts
"And KJ, there are tens of thousands of CX and L3 owners world wide using and buying microheli parts, in fact there have been runs on the frames and in particular the aluminum swashes that have stripped all the vendors bare worldwide more than once. Just because we are a small part of this forum doesn't represent how popular these are! From my understanding in china and throughout the mideast these and the Align 450 are the top selling helis of all time as a size and brand.
What I am saying is this, aftermarket companies will only build where there is a proven market or proven demand. No one that stays alive in business builds or produces anything that does not sell or sells at a loss. Microheli and others like them look at the market first and then produce items they can make money at. For every 100 guys that buy a CX or lama3 only a small handful will ever join or even post up at a forum. Especially when all the problems and fix's are readily available on utube."

Hey, if you've got the money to throw around on $30/rotor for blade grips and $30 for a tail set that does nothing for the heli, have at it. Maybe their frame upgrade is the cat's meow, but I don't have a bottomless pit of money to dump into a $100 heli that I fly in my own yard.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Naw bro, I am certainly not disagreeing with a single word you said. Not at all. In my small money challenged world I have to plan and deprive myself of other sometimes needed items to further my projects. I got scathed earlier by more than one individual when I posted up some cheaper grips than the ones being discussed that a someone had just purchased from microheli. Not everything they sell is justifiable in my book if there are valid cheaper fix's for the same problem. But nowhere, and I do mean nowhere is there any other company making frames for these things that improve on anything other than the microheli frame. So unfortunately, or fortunately from another perspective that they are even being produced at all, we are stuck with the price. Personally after witnessing the results on my own I am saving up for another one.
And Sven, I am still waiting for the long lost Xmas sale................................lol
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:00 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,839 Posts
Quote:
Naw bro, I am certainly not disagreeing with a single word you said. Not at all. In my small money challenged world I have to plan and deprive myself of other sometimes needed items to further my projects. I got scathed earlier by more than one individual when I posted up some cheaper grips than the ones being discussed that a someone had just purchased from microheli. Not everything they sell is justifiable in my book if there are valid cheaper fix's for the same problem. But nowhere, and I do mean nowhere is there any other company making frames for these things that improve on anything other than the microheli frame. So unfortunately, or fortunately from another perspective that they are even being produced at all, we are stuck with the price. Personally after witnessing the results on my own I am saving up for another one.
And Sven, I am still waiting for the long lost Xmas sale................................lol
I asked if Xtreme makes a replacement frame because I know they do, or did, for other heli's. I can see where frame flex is a problem. Maybe it'll be a future thing to consider.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Good point, I haven't laid my eyes on an Xtreme body yet for any of the items I have been working on so I probably didn't pay attention like I should have. In alot of cases you guys have access to a formidable amount of information and I learn stuff from all of you every day! I am saying this with a smile on my face. I don't have a problem admitting I do not know everything, and these invasive drugs they have me on now certainly mess with my reality. I hate forgetting obvious stuff or missing blatant things and looking stupid though just like anyone would, especially in my shoes since I am such an anal perfectionist. Ah well, back to the frame.
The first thing I did notice on the microheli frame is that the harmonic vibrations that cause every tail to kind of micro-vibrate no matter what you do (since the body does flex right down the middle), was just gone! I have a xtreme 180'd custom build using the plastic frame and it vibrates like crazy. The B4 tail on it vibrates and shudders at times and I have tried everything! All of the running gear including skids, blades, shafts, grips, flybars, bearings, and yes even gears have been replaced in my pursuit of flying holiness and perfection, come to think of it I have also replaced the platform also.
Also I have suffered some horrific crashes on my brushless vtail build. Everything has been crushed or broken except the CF frame. I have had to hammer and dolly out the front aluminum frame pad where my components are mounted 3 or 4 times to straighten it out. One good thing, the aluminum they use is very soft and mallable. If they used a better grade of aluminum I would have probably stress fractured it by now. And I don't have access to a tig welder anymore. Setting up my large remaining mig to do small microwelding in aluminum is almost impossible. This is another one of the reasons the frame upgrade is on my want list. It just calms everything down, and the bearing recesses are tight! I have had to drive out the bearings with a small driver punch when doing crash repairs since I soak them overnight in synthetic. I know this is controversial but I have NEVER had a bearing fail in the last 2 years since doing this.