Cheers,
Sydney, Oz
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash
What's the TB effect ?
The ToiletBowl Effect

After a small outdoors crash, I am now suffering the same result although as seconds pass the circles get bigger and bigger. I did discover that my outer shaft is slightly bent as the swashplate shows signs of wobbling. My inner shaft is straight, Flybar is straight. I'm replacing the outer this morning and having the experts down at my LHS take a look at it.
Sugar is offline Find More Posts by Sugar
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I'd made some folding blade hubs from broken CX blades, and was using them on the CX-2. I noticed some Venom blades at the LHS which were intended to fold..
Today at an indoor fun-fly I had a blade clash and took advantage of the opportunity to try a single Venom blade. It worked just fine! No differences noted in the heli performance.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:56 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
We had a pylon race... With real interesting pylons... "Why not put a string from the pylon up to the basketball backstop?".. No sooner said than done..
And it worked!
My CX-2 at the first pylon... it wasn't the only capture today..
Mike was in the lead when he snagged the 2nd pylon string..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:42 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Jan 2007
61 Posts
I just gotta say, guys/gals, this forum is GREAT for Noobs like me. I've been reading the forums constantly for the last week and a half... I did a bit of an impulse buy last week after one of my co-workers kindly reminded me of my childhood dream of having a RC Helicopter. I just remember the movie "Problem Child" when the little redhead hellion was chasing the milkman (i think) and was shooting things. Well, he brought in one of those cheap $30 infra-red uncontrollable Helicopters and it was pretty fun to watch, but I had to top that. Immediately after work (may have left a bit early) I went to the LHS and was talking to a few of the employees and they told me about the Blade CX2. $189 later and I was on my way home with my brand new CX2. VERY fun to fly. I've been driving radio control cars since I was little, but always the store bought Tyco stuff.. Fast Traxx, Turbo Bandit, etc.... Although much cheaper, they do not compare to the thrill of having a flying RC vehicle.

I did all the typical trimming and had it going pretty good and I began to actually move it around the garage... I guess I still have something to learn about steering when it gets to facing any direction other than tail towards me. Went too close to the wall and subsequently a lawnchair standing up against the wall.... I cut the throttle, but apparently too late. The lower blades were snapped about 2 inches or so and the pins broke on the lower rotor mount. I called up the LHS and they told me that the lower rotor mounts are out of stock and they'll have 'em Monday. Oh well, boring weekend ahead of me

I went ahead and placed a backorder for the Anodized aluminum parts along with the plastic replacement for what I broke just to get me by a few days. I should have the inner shaft with aluminum rotor head, motor heatsync and a few other plastic parts delivered by thursday and who knows when the rest of the stuff will come in. After reading through this entire thread today (man is this thread long!) I've decided to go ahead and order those 180 Bearing motors as well. We'll see about them being less noisy and apparently having more torque. I'll post a reply after I get all my parts. For those of you that have trimmed your lower blades to the 5.5", can you post pictures of your modified blades compared to the original 6" blades, side by side. Just curious if you're just literally cutting approximately 1/2" off the end, or if you're making any other shaping change to the end of the blades. I've got $100 in parts on their way, excluding the 2 new motors i'm about to purchase and also the boom/skids from Ebay. Yep.... gonna easily spend what I paid for the CX2 within a week of getting it just to make it better, but since its my first, I like to mess with the guts of it and get to know it better.

I'll stop there for tonight. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the great wealth of information being posted here. Oh, and I did PM the guy that had the video of the Mid-shaft Swashplate for full upper control on putfile.com, we'll see if he has any response to where he got it or if he made it.

--------------
Brian / ChevyNovaLN
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
brianleebusse@cox.net
ChevyNovaLN is offline Find More Posts by ChevyNovaLN
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:47 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikes
diggydiggs

I have been fighting TB efect too. My heli had been flying really tight and I thought I was really getting good at flying but real touchy right now. If you find a fix, let me (us) know.

klondikes
Alright man, she is almost as smooth as butter once again. need to play with the pots just a tad and should help, but the TB is gone!! I started with a new flybar, no go. So, the only other changes I had made were the new servos and the new longer vortex shafts with the aluminum hub. Well, removed both the inner and outer and put an old stock plastic hub on and all is well. It has to be one of the shafts. I have spun them on the table and the outer has a extremely slight wobble to it. I can barely see it, but the inner is straight. I noticed with the aluminum hub, the flybar is really tight. I am going to go with a stock inner aluminum hub tomorrow to see if I get the TB back with it. I tried to spread the head a touch to see if it would loosen the flybar action, but it was just as tight I hope I can get the longer shafts to work, I really love the the lack of blade strikes. If I can have those without TB effect, then she should be a monster. I only hope those new 180 motors work out and add some smoother acceleration and quiet! The E-flites just squeal a bit too much for my liking.

I hope that helps someone!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:12 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,572 Posts
ChevyNova,
Welcome to the world of toy helis. The CX2 is a marvel to me. I other helis, but this I can fly in the living room. I also tried the Micro Mosquito (it went back) and the PiccoZ (it is great and and more of a challenge than the CX2, but not as controllable). I really get a joy out of the little Blade. I love my CPBT's, but this is quite a pick me up in the evening.

Peace and welcome to our world.

Lyle
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:35 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Sparky, that is pretty cool. Did the snags cause any damage? Hard to tell in the photos, but it seems like the blades are droopy and unhappy with the CX2 hanging from the strings. I wish I had access to a gym like that!!

Chevy, welcome aboard! Sounds like you have stepped in full bore like the rest of us. Before you replace that lower rotor support let me caution you of one thing. I failed to line up the top screws for the mount with the holes in the shaft the first time I loosened that part. I didn't remove it completely so I didn't know the holes where there, but after a half day of trying to figure out how to correct some bad wobble/tb effect I stripped her down and discovered that the tops screws MUST match up with the holes in the shaft. If not, you will never get it to hover smoothly. GL with the parts and repairs!!

Enjoy,
Diggs
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:56 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
Sparky, that is pretty cool. Did the snags cause any damage? Hard to tell in the photos, but it seems like the blades are droopy and unhappy with the CX2 hanging from the strings. I wish I had access to a gym like that!!
Enjoy,
Diggs
both choppers got back in the fray after untangling from the strings..
I had a blade clash at the end of one of the straights.
, trying a turn .. as should have been expected..
I had removed the 4-in-1 from an airplane, and found on the first flight the aileron and rudder were backwards.. Surprisingly, this was no big deal.. Easily controllable in roll and heading. Fixt it anyway.
The gym is a beauty... I was able to put the upper rotor on my Picco-Z against the ceiling..about 40 feet up. The thing would stall and spin after contact, but most of the time it would recover before it hit the floor.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jan 28, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Jan 2007
61 Posts
Thanks for the kind welcome Lyle & Diggs. I don't normally just start spending a bunch of $$$ on a "hobby" but this isn't really just a hobby... its one of those joys in life that is much more than a hobby. I know i'll never fly anything real, so this is as close as I'll get to really flying and boy is it alot cheaper if you wreck!!

Thanks for the tip Diggs. I do remember reading that at some point in this thread, guess it was probably you that wrote it.

I can't believe the blades themselves are on backorder from HorizonHobby. Thats where I ordered all my stuff since shipping was so cheap. The new plastic lower rotor mount is on its way from Horizon, but that'll do me no good since I can't get the blades. Guess I'll be making a call to the LHS Monday anyway to see if they have 'em.

With regards to blade-clash, i'm not good enough yet (obviously) to pull any hard corners or quick stops that would cause blade clash.... at least I dont think I am. That being said.... if I haven't moved the servo connections out to the 2nd hole, will I still experience blade clash without trimming the lower blade? Once I get about 5 solid hours on the CX2 I might consider moving the servo out one hole, but while i'm learning i'd rather not. I just wanna make sure that while i've got it in "learning mode / aka stock" that I dont rip more blades off mid-flight. Otherwise I'll trim all the lower blades i get from now on.

Thanks again for the kind welcome!

--------------
Brian / ChevyNovaLN
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
brianleebusse@cox.net
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:53 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Hey guys....nice to see that many have realized a very good product from E-Flite ( Blade CX2 )!!

My buddy Gerry (a.k.a., Simano) flew inside our Racket Ball Courts during lunch time some couple of weeks ago and you can see the videos at:

http://media.putfile.com/E-Flite-CX-...or-RC-Flying-1

http://media.putfile.com/E-Flite--PI...or-RC-Flying-2

During an attempt to fly at the Cancelled event here at the Cooca Expo two weekends ago....Gerry flew his CX2 outside in dead calm conditions under a light pole and started to perform hard manuvers such that his top blade had a strike with his bottom blade and instead of just killing the power he maintained the juice to save the heli from a hard landing......well this caused his 4-in-1 to burn as the instant AMP demand from one of the motors damaged the Electronic control unit (4-In-1). He is presently waiting for a new one....Gerry is thinking of placing some fuses at the motors to avoid another Electronics Package from being burned up in case of another mishap in the future...

Just thought of providing this info to you guys...

Happy Landings!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Welcome to the infection ChevyNovaLN. Soon you will be spending a whole bunch of cash on this hobby like the rest of us.

I have seen many posts on different batteries for the BCX. I recommend the Mega Power LiPo packs 850mAH 15C 7.4V at $16.95 from HeliDirect. I bought 2 of them at http://www.helidirect.com/product_i...roducts_id=2108. They fit the BCX2 a little tight but OK as received. They do have the power wires and the charge wires located one on each side which some, like me, do not like. With a little modification they can be made to fit just like the stock battery.

To modify them, unwrap the straping tape that is already on the battery. Unwrap this far enough to expose the end of the battery where the wires are. Remove the spacers from between the 2 packs. This will decrease the thickness so they fit in the BCX battery holder better. Then run the power wires across the front of the battery over to the side of the battery where the charging wires come out. Re-wrap the tape around these wires and then on around the battery. Add a piece of velcro to the Mega Power battery and you are set to go. The picture below shows the before and after photo compared to the E-Flight stock battery.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Jan 2007
61 Posts
Thanks klondikes, glad to be here and pitch in my share of the $$ to keep the hobby goin. lol

I am ordering the 180 Esky bearing motors from Miracle Mart as I type.... and placed my order for the Boomtown Boom and Skids last night on Ebay. Does anyone know if there are stronger and less flexible blades that could be used? I guess my only concern with this bird is the super flexible and easily breakable blades. I'd be alot more inclined to try some crazy stuff once I get better if I knew I wasn't going to clash the blades due to their flexibility. Obviously shaving the lower blades down to 5.5" will take care of the problem, at least as far as we know... but you do sacrifice a little bit of lift and therefore speed. I would think with the better motors and supposedly more torque... it would be nice to have thicker/less flexible blades that would be able to handle the torque a little better while flexing much less. Unless i'm missing something... flex isn't helping the fligh characteristics, is it? I would think a rigid blade would provide more lift and control since its always the same.

Opinions? If i was a bored person... i might actually consider making some blades myself that were thicker yet still within realistic weight/balance. Who knows... maybe i'll get bored

--------------
Brian / ChevyNovaLN
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
brianleebusse@cox.net
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Jan 2007
61 Posts
OH... and thanks for reminding me Klondikes... I forgot to order new batteries. I just ordered 2 from HeliDirect as well. Same shipping cost either way. Motors are ordered as well. Can't wait.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:45 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Moving on up

Well guys, I got the shakes like nobodies business as I type this one. My neighbor came over with his shiny new CP Pro today. I had the chance to bust my CP and CPP up this weekend trying to hover. I think I may have made a mistake buying used ones. They are fine birds, but I think a newbie like myself might need to start off with stock equipment. His flies so much smoother than mine do. Anyway, I was able to put a full pack through hover on his. He hasn't got as much sim time in as I do, and it is amazing how much a sim can teach you. After a few tries, I had his in the air and hovering in the garage. I am not %100 stable with it, but I can get it to sit pretty darn still. Then I will tend to over adjust just a touch and she will zoom around a little till I get her back under control, or freak out and set her down on the ground. WOW, that is a rush.

I haven't had a chance to fly the CX2 today, but will tonight. I am going to put on a standard (Non extended inner shaft) aluminum upper hub and go test it out and see if the TB effect returns. If not, then I am going to try a different vortex outer shaft that is on the vortex now. This just has to work somehow! Alright, time for some Valium or something J/K but if you thought your first few flights with the CX2 was exhilarating, wait till you get on a CP Heli.

Diggs