HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:30 PM
#include <rcstuff.h>
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Jan 2006
691 Posts
Brew,

You can contact Jamie at jamie@boomtownhobbies.com.

The shorter flybar actually makes the heli less stable and more responsive. Only do it once you're really comfortable with the stock one.

Cheers, RH../
Redherring is offline Find More Posts by Redherring
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
Penticton BC Canada
Joined Sep 2004
52 Posts
Thanks Guys

I flew the CX2 in our local gym today, I have been flying in my shop mostly hovering, some foward flight going in circles getting a feel for the rudder. First time in a big area, just having trouble foward flight and keeping my speed constant but getting the hang on it. Hit the wall my last flight lol just broke a blade. I expected more damage but after inspecting it closer its all good.
Brew is offline Find More Posts by Brew
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:18 AM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
I have never flown heli, just electric RC planes for a while, and was able to do spot landings in the office (very high ceilings... I work nights heheh) on the second day, so I'm extremely impressed by the inherent stability in this choppa once trimmed.

Unfortunately, despite my good luck, I gave in to peer pressure and flew her outside and per frequent request tested how fast and high it could go up. The answer is VERY! Unfortunately, my decent was apparently too fast, as when I gave it power to come back to a hover it apparently flexed the blades too much and I got a mid-air strike!

Looks like the rest is OK, but I can't find anyone online with parts in stock! Anyone have a good source or ETA? Are there carbon fiber aftermarket props that will work as added insurance? Also, should I order anything else other than the aluminum shaft and heatsink? I already have two of those (thicker) batteries from helidirect.
Ducman69 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman69
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:58 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
Do you still want pics? I can load you up on them.
That would be great When ever you get a chance. I'm starting the design concept now. I think having a removable 'hanger' for the heli's that has soft sides, but a stiff inner core would be best. That way, you can just pull out the whole thing, then place it back onto the hook&loop (that would be on the bottom of the bag) when you want to store it. Also, moveable walls inside would allow us to customize the inner sections to our own choosing. And of course, pockets, pockets, pockets both outside and in!

Quote:
Speaking of, I posted in the micro heli forum about tools and got zero replies so far
How about Harbour Freight tools:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...0NUT%20DRIVERS

I tried to upload a photo and couldn't figure out how to do it in this thread I tried the "Attach Files", but got locked up. Funny, I design web sites for clients, but can't upload one lousy photo. I'll figure it out later, but this is a small tool set. I think it may be what you're looking for. It should run you $2.00 on special. If you like it, but can't order it, let me know, I'll pick one up at my local store and mail it to you.

Glad you got your dad's Vortex running. It seems like my CX2 runs a little differently with the shorter lower blades. It's just as quick, but I think I need to fly the stick more than the trim. From beginning to end of flight, I notice the yaw goes from going right to left -- more than before. When my LHS gets more blades again and I have the time, I'm going to test my theory by replacing the lowers with regular sized blades -- just won't push the stick too much to prevent blade clash.

But it is nice not having the clashes and broken blades anymore. Shortening the lower blades to 5.5" seems to do the trick.

Thanks again for the pics. When ever you get the chance.

Let me know about the tools!
Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:54 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Hi All.
This is a Great thread on the CX/2. I bought mine a month and a half ago and have loved learning to fly it. I'd been flying my Typhoon and wanted something that I didn't have to run down to the local high school field to fly. This heli was perfect.
I'm more hooked on heli's now then planes. I Finally learned to nose in hover after 3 weeks. It made no sense to me, I could fly a plane all around the field and at myself but, couldn't get the heli to hover nose in. I'm a little better now. Lol.
So far all of the CX/2 questions I've had have been answered here. Yes, I've been lurking around rcgroups Long before I registered.
Thanks for all the info.
George
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:19 PM
Penticton BC Canada
Joined Sep 2004
52 Posts
Aluminum hopups wast of money for the cx2? I just bought a aluminum swash plate. What about the aluminum bearing holder? The looks are nice of the aluminum hopups but I want to know if it will make any differance in performance. Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:56 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
Aluminum hopups wast of money for the cx2? I just bought a aluminum swash plate. What about the aluminum bearing holder? The looks are nice of the aluminum hopups but I want to know if it will make any differance in performance. Thanks

Durable yes,but performance I don't think so.
Hazy is offline Find More Posts by Hazy
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:35 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Perigrine, not sure if you've had a reply but to upload pics click the "Go Advanced" button next to "Post Quick Reply". Go down to Additional Options, to "Manage Attachments" in the Attach Files box and click; go to "Basic File Upload" and click the first "Browse" button and it will allow you to access the pic you need in a folder on your HDD; click the file for it to appear in the window, then click the upload button, Presto It will upload the pic and then display a thumbnail, asking for a description, key in the text and click the "Save Changes" button; system will take you back to the reply window and the pic file you've just uploaded will be registered in the Attach files window. Apologies if you've already solved the process, had initial trouble myself.

By the way a great video of the CX2 was posted by 3vw on Dec 07, 2006, at 11:38 PM in RC Groups > RC Video Gallery > Helicopters - Electric Videos
"Video - In Store Blade CX2 Flight" - HobbyTown CX2.wmv - 7.37 MB - recommended, shows great control.

The guy in my LHS did the same but not as extensive, so have a look - complete with music backing

I've re-attached a pic of our flying area just for interest - it's a cycling "speed dome". Plenty of room for ambitious but inexperienced heli pilots

Also, had a word with a CX2 owner at the LHS and he also had blade clashes. Was flying flat out in a warehouse and experienced clash during sudden direction change and reversal. Clash can be avoided by flying using pressure on the sticks like a real aeroplane rather than sudden excessive movements of the controls.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
Perigrine, not sure if you've had a reply but to upload pics click the "Go Advanced" button next to "Post Quick Reply". Go down to Additional Options, to "Manage Attachments" in the Attach Files box and click; go to "Basic File Upload" and click the first "Browse" button and it will allow you to access the pic you need in a folder on your HDD; click the file for it to appear in the window, then click the upload button, Presto It will upload the pic and then display a thumbnail, asking for a description, key in the text and click the "Save Changes" button; system will take you back to the reply window and the pic file you've just uploaded will be registered in the Attach files window. Apologies if you've already solved the process, had initial trouble myself.
Thanks Sirion:

I tried everything you just stated! When I hit upload, I don't get a request for a description! I will try again

Quote:
Also, had a word with a CX2 owner at the LHS and he also had blade clashes. Was flying flat out in a warehouse and experienced clash during sudden direction change and reversal. Clash can be avoided by flying using pressure on the sticks like a real aeroplane rather than sudden excessive movements of the controls.
I don't know if you read my previous thread, I trimmed my lower blade to 5.5" (from 6.125") after moving the forward/reverse servo out one hole. It seemed to cut out the blade clashes! It does fly a little differently -- need to fly the stick more than the trim. I do get some good action. Too good. I flew right into a tree last night It was about 25' in the air. Boy, do I feel so stupid. Just started heading towards it, didn't react. Don't know why. The flybar ended up at a 90degree angle, a branch punched a hole in my tail section and ripped the seam along the bottom of the tail section.

After straightening out the flybar and super-glueing the ripped plastic, it flew fine! I am so lucky nothing else broke.

One other question, any comments on my trying to design a new flight bag so we can carry our helis, transmitters, batteries, chargers and other stuff?

Just curious. Haven't gotten too much response. Don't want to go through the expense of designing and having prototypes made if there's not much interest.

Thanks for the suggestion on attachments. I'll try it again!

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:33 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,561 Posts
Robert here is a step by step process...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242244

I'm really enjoying my 5.5in. lower blades. If and when new lower blades get back in stock, I will cut them down first thing. My control arm setting is on the second servo arm hole and blade strikes don't happen no matter how hard I bang the sticks around. I fly outside all the time in the calm evenings and I'm having a blast.

Roger
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
Penticton BC Canada
Joined Sep 2004
52 Posts
PF wrote (Just curious. Haven't gotten too much response. Don't want to go through the expense of designing and having prototypes made if there's not much interest.)

I would be interested in a flight bag depending on cost
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:02 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Robert,

Haven't forgotten about your pics, just crazy busy around here. I am driving 2 hours tomorrow morning to pick up a Blade CP and a Blade CP Pro, with a ton of extras for $250. Both fly fine. I can't fly them, but with the TX's I can now really practice using my flight sim. Also, my bird is grounded from the failed servo. I got a pair of S75 E-flites in, but I can't get them to mount up properly. I read it was a drop in replacement, but that is WRONG. You must modify the frame to get this to work, and I am NOT going to do it!! Waiting for myrcsupply.com to get them to me. Kinda ill with them, ordered Monday and they shipped TODAY!!! grrr!! Since I am down for the count, I may try trimming down some lower blades tomorrow.

OH, my LHS had the alum inner shaft, so I grabbed one up and took the inner and outer shaft for the vortex and mounted that on my CX2. Took more work than I thought getting the inner shaft mounted correctly, but so far it appears to be ready to fly. Once I get my servos in, I can test it out. I think this with the new boom and the shorter blades will allow for some very aggressive flights. I expect some heavy sim time tomorrow after I return with the new Helis, since my CX2 is grounded . It is going to be so hard not to attempt to fly one of the new ones since I can't fly my CX2!! But I am going to get to where I can at least hover on the sim before I do any real flying with the CP.

I will try to get the pics tomorrow. I will now need a pair of new bags for the new additions!!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:36 AM
Look mom, I can...crash.
Oregon
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
Ok my blade cx2 is now outfitted with the aluminum main hub, lower head unit, both upper, and lower aluminum blade grips, and the aluminum swash plate.

I dont seem to get the run time I used to get off the stock setup, but its a whole lot less stable, and much more responsive. Everything tracks smoother, and less blade replacements due to the folding grips. But Its nearly impossible for me to get it to maintain a hands off hover for anything more than about 3-5 seconds though.
IMCingYou is offline Find More Posts by IMCingYou
Old Jan 20, 2007, 03:51 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Peregrine; Is this the pic you wanted to upload? - took it off the link you gave, worked OK.

On the "portable hanger" issue - great idea, I've seen a lot of damage done
when guys with their arms too full of models, tool boxes, batteries, etc, get jammed up in transit from car to venue - sometimes stuck halfway through doors

The insert for the heli accomodation should be rigid enough to protect the overhead blade gear, plus a keeper to ensure it, or the whole model, doesn't swing or slide out inadvertently. One possibility is to retain, incorporate and maybe cut down, the original foam packaging with its custom wells - light weight and rigid. In fact I've been using the original boxes for my models - foamies and all - they're designed to transport models.

You might also think about having a fire insulated pocket available for LiPo battery storage - those things make me nervous The trick is to keep it all minimal or else you'll be carrying the whole LHS around with you
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jan 20, 2007, 09:12 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
The trick is to keep it all minimal or else you'll be carrying the whole LHS around with you
That's my problem. once you start adding things incase you break down, you end up with the entire LHS. you just never know what your going to need...lol.
I'm buying a 5 ton truck next.

David
davecrash is online now Find More Posts by davecrash