HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh
Well,

new blades, decently balanced. Flybar is about as straight as it ever gets, and swings freely.

Shafts SEEM to be fairly straight, though I have not removed them and done the table top check for straightness. There is a bit of wobble on the inner shaft at lower rpms that goes away.

Still got the TBE.

I figure I should remove the shafts and check them both for straightness and possibly also play with the flybar link length a bit. Perhaps the problem is in either of these two areas. Did I miss anything?
Check that your gears arn't wobbling up and down when you are flying. It is probably easier to see at low rpm while spooling up.

Ryan.
HeliRyan is offline Find More Posts by HeliRyan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2008, 05:53 PM
Joined May 2008
37 Posts
On one of my Xtreme motors, I noticed that one of the orange squares (capacitors?) has a leg that is not soldered onto the connection. It's touching, but I'm assuming becomes disconnected with any vibration. What are these orange things? I plan on soldering the leg back on, but was just curious. I wonder if this is what is causing one motor to spin slower sometimes?
achilles99 is offline Find More Posts by achilles99
Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles99
On one of my Xtreme motors, I noticed that one of the orange squares (capacitors?) has a leg that is not soldered onto the connection. It's touching, but I'm assuming becomes disconnected with any vibration. What are these orange things? I plan on soldering the leg back on, but was just curious. I wonder if this is what is causing one motor to spin slower sometimes?
Are you talking about these two little things? http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...1-fslash-2.htm

If so, then Im told those help reduce possible noise interference in the RX. Ive even removed these before since were running DSM on the CX2 which isnt sensitive to this and have had no problems. Now there are larger "square" things which are fuses made to protect the 3&1 in case of current overload so Im not sure which ones you are speaking of
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2008
53 Posts
ok i am so proud of myself.
i finally got my cx2 trimmed almost perfect.
seems mine always wanted to have the nose drift to the right.
i used the tip posted earlier in this thread about centering the proprotion and gain and then slowly starting to throttle up and get both motors to turn at the same time. this got rid of the right nose drift almost 100%, now i can easily use the trim thing to get it steady.
2nd thing was mine always wanted to drift off to the right some, not the nose the whole heli. so i checked by looking and seeing which servo was moving when i moved the stick to correct it, then disconnected it and added 1 full turn length on the rod(since it was moving that way when i used the stick) and that took care of the drift.
now i can get my little cx2 up in the air and it is rock solid, i can hover a full battery pack inside a 5-8 foot circle easily. not sure but that feels good for only a little over a week as a pilot

now i can start to work on something other than hovering since up to now i was really working hard to hover steady. in maybe a year or so i will be a decent pilot i think!
l4m3r is offline Find More Posts by l4m3r
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
66 Posts
Hi All,

I have been out of work for the last week due to a broken foot. I was walking into work last Monday and slipped on a wet potato chip bag, twisted my foot and broke it. I usually write only at work, not at home.

Anyway, i have been keeping my foot elevated for the week. I also sat out on the lawn chair with my foot up and my helis flying all around. Nothing keeps me down!! One of my cx2's started doing the TBE very badly. I took the whole thing apart and put it back together without finding anything evidently wrong. I didn't want to mess with it too much, so back to the LHS it went. I will have it back on Tuesday. He only charges $15 per hour to fix these things, plus parts!!!! It really relieves my aggrevation to let the pros fix it sometimes.

I still have been flying the other cx2 every day. There has been no wind, so it's been great flying around the neiborhood. The foot stays up and so does the cx2. It wasn't a bad week considering the injury. I am already in a walking boot, and don't need crutches either. The summer may not be a loss after all!!!!
Chipper99 is offline Find More Posts by Chipper99
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:10 AM
Proud new Papa of a CX2
Columbus OH
Joined May 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Those motors generate a lot of heat and with the canopy on there is very little if any airflow through there so it heats up the 3-in-1 / 4-in-1 and the components don't work as well, especially the gyro, which is why it drifts more with the canopy on.
I did pick up a couple of Heli-max rotofly canopies last week and do not notice any diff between 'naked' and that canopy. They are flimsy, yes, but are very well ventilated and in my opinion, add some color as compared to not having one. The only mod I've made to them is moving the mounting hole back @ 5/8" to keep the front of the bubble from touching the receiver. Check one out if you like:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/myatom...canopyQQsofpZ0

Cheers,
Shu
shuship is offline Find More Posts by shuship
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:13 AM
Proud new Papa of a CX2
Columbus OH
Joined May 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4m3r
now i can get my little cx2 up in the air and it is rock solid, i can hover a full battery pack inside a 5-8 foot circle easily. not sure but that feels good for only a little over a week as a pilot
now i can start to work on something other than hovering since up to now i was really working hard to hover steady. in maybe a year or so i will be a decent pilot i think!
Great job l4m3r....keep up the good work.
shuship is offline Find More Posts by shuship
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
Joined May 2008
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Are you talking about these two little things? http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...1-fslash-2.htm

If so, then Im told those help reduce possible noise interference in the RX. Ive even removed these before since were running DSM on the CX2 which isnt sensitive to this and have had no problems. Now there are larger "square" things which are fuses made to protect the 3&1 in case of current overload so Im not sure which ones you are speaking of
I have the previous generation 180's (not the stock ones, but the ones before the SE180's), but the two orange things are similar. I guess if it's to help noise, I don't need to fix it unless I have issues later Thanks!

P.S - Hmmm, those new 180's look good
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:41 AM
Joined Jul 2005
19 Posts
Question for you guys, I just got a cx2 should i get the heat sinks for the motors? or is heat not a problem in this generation?
wizard2020 is offline Find More Posts by wizard2020
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2008
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard2020
Question for you guys, I just got a cx2 should i get the heat sinks for the motors? or is heat not a problem in this generation?
I cut the top of my canopy, and added the head sinks. I was AMAZED at how well the heat sinks worked.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:10 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Wiz - fit the sinks; you can ventilate the canopy easily by using a single hole paper punch to put 3 or 4 holes in each of both the canopy top and its two side windows at the rear. The punched holes will prevent the canopy material from tearing if you try it any other way.

Despite the sinks - and use the recommended heat transfer paste if you can get it - the motors will still get hot enough to burn your fingers after a full flight but not as hot as they would without the sinks - they will last longer. Remember to let both the motors and the batt pack to cool off before recharging/flying again - 15 min usually OK. At some stage after a few months depending on accumulated flight times you'll need new motors (they get tired) - the stock brushed replacements are fine.

Get yourself a couple of spare batt packs, so you can get a decent flying sesssion in whilst the other packs are recharging. I found that flying a cheap Silverlite (Air Hoggs? in the USA) foamie between heli flights was good practice and relief from heli stress, also helping to develop the stick coordination needed for the CX2.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:50 PM
Southern California
Joined May 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh
Are you all set??
DHR,
Perfect, I took your advise and went to BoomTown's website, found the directions, and everything works great!
Thanks for the info.
Sway is offline Find More Posts by Sway
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:08 PM
Southern California
Joined May 2008
12 Posts
www.Bladecx2.com

Sonny, at www.bladecx2.com has changed his website address to www.flyrcrivesud.com He sells the EXxtreme parts of which he is a direct manufacurer; and he has some pretty cool upgrades. Free shipping on orders over $50.00. If nothing else, check out the videos he has posted, they too are pretty impressive.

Ryan, check out the cash prizes tab, he gives away $275.00 for a 2 minute video. After seeing some of your videos, I think you have the talent to win this one.
Sway is offline Find More Posts by Sway
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:22 PM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
222 Posts
TBE Improving

Well, I started playing with the flybar link and neither lengthening or shortening improved it the TBE any. I took the blades off and checked the shafts for wobble. The outer shaft wobbles a bit at low rpms and then smooths out. I do notice that the shaft rpm will shange slightly under full swashplate deflection(I'm in the second hole on the servo arm). All in all things seem pretty good.

I went back and re-balanced upper and lower blades as close to perfect as I could, and made sure the flybar swung around freely. This gave me significant improvement. I still get some TBE when I stop from FF, but it will slowly settle out, the TBE no longer worsens in a hover.

I still need to re-level the swashplate and see how that goes. I'm still a bit concerned about the outer shaft wobble though.

Everyone, thanks for the tips, they are much appreciated!!
drh is offline Find More Posts by drh
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway
Sonny, at www.bladecx2.com has changed his website address to www.flyrcrivesud.com He sells the EXxtreme parts of which he is a direct manufacurer; and he has some pretty cool upgrades. Free shipping on orders over $50.00. If nothing else, check out the videos he has posted, they too are pretty impressive.

Ryan, check out the cash prizes tab, he gives away $275.00 for a 2 minute video. After seeing some of your videos, I think you have the talent to win this one.
Just dont attempt the "flight in wind" scenario Notice you never see the heli being flown back???? Its easy to haul with a 25 mph wind BEHIND an 8 oz heli but anyone who really understands these coaxials and has tried flying outside in any wind over about 5-6 mph knows what the real results will be
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Jun 30, 2008 at 09:26 PM.