HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
I just ordered a few of the true RC packs. If anyone is curious, I can post a few photos/thoughts.

Alex
Eyefly is offline Find More Posts by Eyefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2007, 04:11 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
I've got a true rc pack coming hopefully tomorrow. I got the shipping notice Friday Morning, so it went out Thursday or Friday..

I only ordered one as I wanted to try it out first, but they must have been out, cause I ordered it two weeks ago. If it works out. I'll pick up a few more of them.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jan 15, 2007, 04:30 PM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Mile High cable works!

I just received my USB cable from Mile High Wings:
http://www.milehighwings.com/usb_cables.htm. It worked perfectly on my MAC. Again, wish I had a decent SIM to use. I'll let you know how it works on my dad's PC.

RC Packs:
YES on letting us know about the RC packs.

Do they fit without modification? That's my big concern. For now, I'm using the Commonsense with a couple of rubber bands wrapped around the little wings. It works.

Shortening lower blades:
Let me know if any one else has tried this and what results they get. It seems like an inexpensive modification to get rid of blade clash after moving the servo link up one hole.

Have a great night all!

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 15, 2007, 04:51 PM
Can't fly unless you try!
Virginia
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
I ordered a couple packs from True RC last Monday - still haven't seen them... Mail must be pretty slow in the Chicago area or else they're all too busy cheering on the Bears in the play-offs! Hope I get them sometime this week...

So, has anyone tried them before? If so, how well do they hold up?
Sno-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sno-Flyer
Old Jan 15, 2007, 05:07 PM
Can't fly unless you try!
Virginia
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon
Shortening lower blades:
Let me know if any one else has tried this and what results they get. It seems like an inexpensive modification to get rid of blade clash after moving the servo link up one hole.

Have a great night all!

Robert
Robert,

I had a few blades that got "clipped" on the tips, so I shortened mine down to about 5.5 inches. I gotta tell ya, after an ajustment with the Proportional Pot, it flies VERY well and I have had NO BLADE STRIKES at all! Granted, it takes just a tiny bit more throttle to get it up, but it also speeds up the response a tiny bit as well. Works for me anyway...
Sno-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sno-Flyer
Old Jan 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon
WOW! Not sure how comfortable I am trying that one. I would love to see that in person some time. Maybe you can borrow a vid?

Here's what I see. Maybe someone can straighten it all out for every one:

DN Power 10C 900mAh 7.4v 2S - For Blade CX ($19.95)
-- does this fit perfectly or not?
-- this is rated 10C but some folks swear they are more like 15C

Mega Packs - they come in 10C and 15C
-- some say it fits without taking out the foam between the two batteries
-- isn't there a reason for that foam? Like to keep the two batteries separated and cooler?

Common Sense - that's what I just got
-- they don't seem to fit
-- they are 10C (I'm pretty sure)
-- they are cheap!
I will work on getting a cam and someone to shoot that for me. I did a little one last night, but heard the tiny clack and pulled out. I have been flying and reading so much, I just haven't taken the time to break it down and work on the blades and try the vortex shafts out. Plus I can't find the aluminum parts anywhere!!! I want the top of the inner shaft so i can keep the stock blades.

As for your battery questions

The DN power fit like a glove. If OJs gloves fit that well, he would be in jail. Price is a bit higher than the others, but long flight times and dependable power. My favorites so far.

The Megas are just a bit tight for my liking without removing the spacers, but I have not noticed them getting very hot. I did over discharge one I think. Don't remember seeing the low V rating. I llike the megas and would buy them again, but if the DNs hold up well, I will probably stay with them.

Haven't had a commonsense RC battery for my heli, but one came with the vortex which I still haven't flown yet. Bigger, doesn't fit my CX2 at all, but cheap.

Ok, off for some grub.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
cx2 inner shaft repair

can anyone give me some advice/instruction/direction on how to replace the inner shaft on the cx2? Thanks so much
kingfisherbb is offline Find More Posts by kingfisherbb
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:22 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Ok, I will do what I can here. If you have the replacement parts then you must start by removing the skids and canopy. Just pull down on the skids and they pop out. Remove canopy, then look at the bottom of the heli. You will see a silver collar with a pair of screws in it. Loosen the screws till the gear it is holding will come off. You should then be able to remove the inner shaft from the top. You will have to unscrew the blades and remove the fly bar. It also just pops off from the linkage, and there is a screw at the top of the shaft. Be careful not to bend the flybar. Toss the old shaft and reverse the process.

Thats a pretty brief description, but includes most if not all steps you will need. And I am sure you will become a pro at it quickly I have!! That flybar holder loves to break. I removed the screw from mine and I think that has helped prevent breakage my last two crashes!!

GL
Diggs
If I didn't cover what you need, ask and someone should hook you up with some info soon.
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
thanks!!! I will try it. I am finding now that the two screws on the silver collar are TIGHT. I think I don't have the proper sized screw driver to crank on those screws. Unfortunately the nearest hobby shop is 180 miles.

thanks again
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
and now that I looked in the manual, the fly bar holder already broke which is why I am replacing the inner shaft.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:11 PM
W7CLB
Silicon Valley, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
51 Posts
I picked up an appropriate-sized screwdriver as part of a set at my local grocery store, in the hardware section. Ran me $5.

Barring that, a place like Radio Shack (or local equivalent) will also have the right size.
cbiffle is offline Find More Posts by cbiffle
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
47 Posts
The screwdriver that comes with the helicopter is the correct size, isn't it? I have used it for everything, and I have had it completely apart a few times.
dankirk is offline Find More Posts by dankirk
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:48 AM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
screw driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherbb
thanks!!! I will try it. I am finding now that the two screws on the silver collar are TIGHT. I think I don't have the proper sized screw driver to crank on those screws. Unfortunately the nearest hobby shop is 180 miles.

thanks again
Hi King!

Yes, the screw driver that comes with the heli is correct. My father had to use pliers to help turn the driver - VERY CAREFULLY - just to loosen them up. When I did mine, I had no problem at all. I guess who ever did yours at the factory was eatin' their wheaties that morning!

And yes, I don't use the screw at the top of the flybar holder either. The bar will pop off in a crash, but it sure prevents breaking it or bending it in most crashes. You just pop it back on!

Good luck.

Robert
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Custom carry bag for heli's

Hi All!

I have an advertising business. One of the divisions has the ability to custom produce bags: gym, overnight, carry bags, etc.

I've read where a lot of us transport our CX2's in the box it came in. The only problem is there's no room for extra blades, batteries, chargers, etc. I was thinking of designing a carry bag that would:

Hold our CX2 securely
-- the heli would be protected some how
-- hold other helicopters around the same size

Hold the transmitter

Have elastic loops to hold lots and lots of batteries

Have pockets for charger(s)

Storage places to securely protect replacement parts like blades, shafts, gears, skids, etc.

Storage for tools like the little screw drivers, zip bags of those little screws and other small parts

Here are some thoughts to the manufacture of such a product:

1) The bag would be made from a soft material like 600 Denier Polyester. I don't think a hard case (plastic) would be desirable. This would mean however that a hard material would be placed between the outside and inside wall of the case to provide protection -- mainly for the heli. Or, I could design a hard insert for the heli.

2) Securing the heli inside the bag could be done a number of ways.
A) If we use the a hard material all around the bag, a soft wall on the inside could be used to sandwich the chopper. On the bottom could be hook&loop material along with straps to secure the skids to the bottom.

B) Or, if it's decided to keep the bag 'soft', then a removable, hard insert could be designed to totally wrap around the heli -- including blades. Hook&loop would be used so all you have to do is place it on the bottom (anywhere) in the bag and you're done!

3) Outside pockets could be used to hold water bottles, phones, manuals, etc. End pockets could be mesh style for the bottles while others along the other end, front and back could be zippered or hook&loop.

4) Inside pockets. There would be elastic loops along the wall to hold (up to) ten batteries. There would also be zippered or open pockets to hold extra parts like chargers, blades, shafts, gears, tools and bags of small parts.

5) Transmitter. I'm curious as to your thoughts on this one. Should the transmitter also be protected so the joysticks don't get busted? Should the transmitter stand up? If it should, then the height of the antenna must be taken into account when the overall dimension of the bag is being decided. How about placing the transmitter in an outside pocket? AND, are other transmitters for other helis much larger/smaller than our CX2's?

6) What other helis will fit? I realize there are other RC choppers in this category, but I don't have any. I would have to request your help in giving me very accurate dimensions of your models including height (to the very top of the shaft), length to include the blades and width. Or, if any of you would consider sending me actual models (they could even be non-working) that would be better. How about those that have different body configurations with outrigs? I would like to make this bag usable by many different hobbyists! You thoughts?

7) There would be handles as well as a padded shoulder strap.

8) Moveable walls! How about extra padded walls that could be moved around inside the bag to give you the ability to 'customize' extra storage?

I'd like to keep the costs down so these would be affordable - around $35-$40? I don't know of any available bags that do any of this. If there are, can you point me towards them. Or, tell me what you like, what you don't like and what you'd like to see? I am very open to suggestions so a prototype can be produced.

I do realize that you're not supposed to retail products on these threads, but I'm hoping no one will mind helping to get this into production. Of course, I'd give those that helped me a break on the costs. So, at what point should I have further discussions via Private Messgaes (PM's)? I don't want to get any one upset.

Let me know your thoughts...and thanks!

Robert
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:38 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
Perhaps the bag could be made such that the original foam can be placed at the bottom of the bag and be used to secure the heli and Tx. A movable wall is nice to change between the different sizes of the foam cut outs for all of the different helis available. Batteries and such can be placed in the various cut outs in the foam leaving only the charger to deal with. We all use various chargers so perhaps a pocket on the side for the charger and cords. Another pocket on the front for the blades and everything else extra which you may need. I think this covers pretty much all of what is necessary. This would also keep the design and complexity to a minimum.
(Price as well)

If you want me to go into more detail, drop me a PM.

Alex
Eyefly is offline Find More Posts by Eyefly
Last edited by Eyefly; Jan 16, 2007 at 08:43 AM.