HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2007, 02:09 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZFlyer
Diggs, I think I need to get me one of those chargers. I noticed you have adapters going from the stock plug, do those come with the chargers or did you need to puchase those separately? I think you posted but could you pm or repost a link to the charger and adapter for the stock plug.

Thanks

Ed
The adapters do come with the charger. You get 3 adapters total 1ea for 2s 3s and 4s. They just swap the polarity if needed, which all of my batteries except the commonsenserc pack do need these. I like using the adapters really, they extend the connection away from the charger and make it easier to connect and disconnect batteries. I got the charger with an AC adapter since I don't have a 12V power supply.

This is exactly what I bought. With this combo, I didn't need anything additional to charge a pair of batteries at the same time. However, I buy packs in pairs now. I don't connect batteries of different spec at the same time. I don't know if it matters, but it seems to me it might not balance them properly if you connected a 10C 800Mah and a 15C 900Mah together. I could be wrong about this. If anyone knows, please pass that info along. Mixing packs on this charger would make it even better.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2006
317 Posts
I got my Stersman boom and skids in yesterday as well!

The heli definitely feels a bit "lighter" about the controls. I think I am going to need some tweaking and resetting of all the pots/trims to get it back in order.

I can say w/ confidence that it would be VERY hard to break the skids or tail/fins.

Fins: What you can't see from the pics is that the fins are VERy flexible. At first they feel like cheap plastic/rubber, but then you can tell that they have the perfect amount of flex for "nudging" the walls

Boom: The boom is rock solid, and if I managed to break it somehow, I can almost guarantee the entire heli would be ruined in the deal.

Skids: The skids aren't quite as flexible as the fins, but they do flex about 500% more than the stock ones. These would also be very hard to break, as they would just bend and bounce back instead.

All in all, the package arrived perfectly wrapped, with great instructions, and a great investment!
rgoodwin is offline Find More Posts by rgoodwin
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
Can't fly unless you try!
Virginia
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Vortex Motors In Bcx2: Results

In case anyone is interested to know what I found out regarding the Vortex motors in my BCX2... I heard good things about them, so I bought 2 pairs of them since they were so cheap. Anyway, the other day, I replaced my stock motors with the Vortex ones and had HORIBBLE results! As I was breaking in the motors (on the floor at low speed), the tail started doing that 'ol twitching thing - and then one motor suddenly STOPPED! My BCX2 tipped over and I shut it down right away. I did some checking, and rechecking, and then it was working fine. So, I started to hover a bit with it. The twitching started all over again (after about 1 minute) and this time I lost all radio control and my BCX2 kissed the wall like they were one... NOT PRETTY! I had to unplug the battery from the heli as it was flopping all over the place while burning up the motors...

"CX1" on another thread mentioned that the Vortex motors may be drawing too much current through the 4 in 1 unit. Well, I put my stock motors back in and the CX2 works perfectly again! Of course, I had to replace three blades (2 lower and 1 upper) to get back in the air, but boy - what a crash! Would have loved to get all that on video and then replay in slo-mo! Pieces of broken blades went everywhere!

So, I think I'll stick to the stock motors from now on... at least until I can get some more replacement blades Anyway, that's my feedback on them. Anyone want to buy a pair of Vortex motors - CHEAP!!!?
Sno-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sno-Flyer
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:59 AM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
563 Posts
DN battery quick review...

Recieved my DN batteries for my CX2.

It a smidgen thicker that the stock pack so the fit is nice and snug, but no need to hack up the CX2 fuge to get it to fit, which was the biggest selling point for me for these batteries. Yes they cost a little more than the Mega's but like I said, no need to cut up the fuge. It'll stay in place without a velcro piece at one of the ends. What else can I say that hasn't already been said...they work great! Love 'em! A+++

Why are you still reading this? Go get some!
JookSing is online now Find More Posts by JookSing
Last edited by JookSing; Jan 13, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:34 AM
Virginia
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Not sure if anyone asked already or not, but I was curious to know if the servo arms should be posotioned perpendicular to the rotor shafts (or parallel to the floor)? Wondering how much difference that would make on response, etc.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:01 AM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
With the right transmitter stick neutral, that's where they should normally be already.
brett s is offline Find More Posts by brett s
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
317 Posts
Sigh.. a series of minor crashes today and now it's got severe left bank and forward authority. Nothing visibly wrong and all parts seem to be properly tightened. Ah well, time to disassemble and diagnose later.

(hmm..it just occurs to me that maybe the swashplate has come loose...)
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:54 AM
Virginia
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Thanks, Brett. I guess I need to make some small adjustments then. Mine were both slightly angled downward...

Scott
Old Jan 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno-Flyer
Thanks, Brett. I guess I need to make some small adjustments then. Mine were both slightly angled downward...

Scott
Mine are also angled down slightly at neutral also and they were set that way at the factory. It flys just fine so I see no need to change anything and maybe get things all out of whack.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jan 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
If you're hovering fine with no stick or trim input to keep it from drifting you might as well leave it alone.

In a perfect world you want the servo arms level when the swashplate is also level, to keep the response to stick input the same in either direction - minor differences aren't a big deal but large ones will mean more swashplate travel in one direction than the other (since the servo arms move in an arc, not a straight line).
Old Jan 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
Virginia
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
True... Mine seems to drift a little forward- even with full trim set backwards, so I think I'll make that adjustment... Right and left is stable, so nothing needed there... Thanks guys.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
I cut down my flybar (it's about 6" long now, I removed somewhere around 1.25" from each side) & moved the swashplate links out to the middle servo arm hole - big improvement, at least for those that are willing to give up some stability in exchange for far better maneuverability.

Don't know if it'll stop all blade clashes but it should help a great deal, and it's not scary to try & fly outside in a mild breeze anymore
Old Jan 13, 2007, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
317 Posts
Answered my own issue...apparently the flybar was bent. No telling how long it's been like that, and amazing what 5-9 degrees can do!

brett s: are you guys just using nips or dremel or something to cut down the flybar? I assume you're popping ends off somehow, trimming the bar and then popping em back on.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
I just used a pair of dikes, then re-bent the tips - the ends are bent in a u-shape to retain the weight & rubber cover/retainer.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:44 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I received an order from BPHOBBIES.com today for my vortex. I received 2 metal/steel flybars. Not the Cabon fiber that I expected. I will test one of them with the BCX2 and see if it makes any difference. They are much shorter, but metal, which I prefer over the CF. Today has been pretty cool with the flight of my CX2, I swear the new tail boom has reduced my blade strikes. I have had a couple throughout the last 12-15 packs, but the number has reduced significantly. I mean down to like 3 per 12 batteries from 1-2 times per pack!!! WOW. I have been conservative since the big bouncy crash I had, but I have been pushing it harder with every flight. I must say that something has changed and I like it. The only change that could affect this is the tail boom from stersman. Tomorrow I might try the extended shafts from vortex since I have the parts just sitting there. If I can do a reversed piro with it, then I am sold.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Last edited by DiggyDiggs; Jan 13, 2007 at 11:52 PM.