SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Robert, Good stuff on the blades man. I will probably give this a try soon. Please let us know how it does under some serious pressure. Hope the wind allows you to get it out doors. I find it interesting you didn't change both the tops and bottom blades. I seem to break the lowers more often, and would have probably trimmed both. But I like this idea. I wonder if the trim adjustment would have not been needed if you do both. But only doing one set is faster and if it corrects the blade strikes then even better.

I think I have a way to duplicate a blade strike everytime since my most severe one was while trying this. I was doing a piro, then gave it some reverse to bring the tail down, and extra throttle to bring the nose up and keep lift. Pretty cool, nose up pretty high, and the tail down spinning hard. BLAM, big clash. I thought it was a cool looking trick, but I haven't tried it again due to the huge strike it created.

As for the commonsenseRC packs, I don't know. I don't have any for the BCX2, just one for the vortex, which is a very different size, but same spec. I assume this is a different pack all together. At least I hope so, because there is no way that pack will fit the CX2. As for polarity, CrashDave turned me on to swapping the pins on the balanced charger input for the batteries themselves. The one commonsenserc pack I have is reversed from all my others. So I took a small flat head, applied some pressure to the top of the pin and pulled it out. Swapped the + and - positions and now it matches the rest of my packs. I think I will have to do this with the DN packs that are on the way. XUS was out of stock when I ordered them, but should have 4 of the DN 10C 900Mah packs by this weekend. I see the mega powers are out of stock at helidirect. I am going to test those against the DNs and if there is little to no difference, i will probably stick with the Megas since they are $3.00 cheaper and only need the spacers removed to fit almost perfectly.

Well with all the mixed reviews on the vortex motors, I am going to hold off a bit, see what you guys get out of them. I like the quiet part of them, and will deal with some break in flights, but want to make sure its worth it before doing it. I have no idea where my vortex motors came from originally. No sticker or anything on them. Came with the used heli I bough as spares. The CX2 is flying very well these days. Love flying indoors now. The living room is such a challange.

Alright, off to discharge some packs

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:08 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Peregrine asked:

And, what about the mega packs I keep hearing about, can you just take out the spacers and electric tape them back to fit?

----------------------------

The 2 Mega Power batteries I received today from HeliDirect.com, http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2108 fit just fine in my BCX2. I left the spacers in. The spacers appear to be made of foam so I just squeezed the pack and it slid on in snuggly. There is no play or wobble so I will not have to use anything to keep the battery in place during flight. If the spacers get permanently shrunk and loosness happens I will just add the velcro. (Pictures below)

Got 1 of the Mega Power's charging now.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
CX-2... Fly away

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a CX2 just "flying away"!

I took it out for a little flight outside... Nice and calm... All of the sudden, she started climbing and climbing.. The wind took her a little once it was high enough, and got far enough that I couldn't see the direction it was heading.. Made it near impossible to get it back down on the ground (in the city).

In any case... I managed to run around the crescent, into a neighbours back yard and somewhat land the chopper.

Pretty crazy experience. In any case.. it's pretty banged up. Was this simply my mistake (i.e. flying outside) or is it possible that there's some kind of glitch that sent it so high?

Let me know what you think.

Mike.
mucky5 is offline Find More Posts by mucky5
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
My first outdoor flight yielded the same result. I had no idea how little wind could cause problems. This is not an outdoor flyer, you must fly it in extremely lite wind conditions. I was in an elementary school parking lot and took her up about the same height as the street lights. Next thing I know, I touch the throttle and up she goes. I finally had to just let her drop with little throttle at all, and it landed in a pine tree, about 10FT off the ground. With a little help from a long stick, I could get it out of the limbs. No damage at all, I was very lucky.

To combat this, I moved the pushrods up one hole on the servo lever arm. This allows me to control it much better outdoors, but also increases blade strikes, like I just had on my last flight. Minor one this time, but I did break the tip off the left skid. Tomorrow night is my weekly visit to the LHS, so i will pick up spares, even though Stersmans set is on the way, I hope. I think experience in outdoor flying helps. The more you do it the better you get at it. You learn to drop it quickly and stop it before you get too low.

GL,
Diggs
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
Ok.. Thanks Diggs.

If it happens again, I'll certainly drop it before it gets too far out of control.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Take care,
Mike.
mucky5 is offline Find More Posts by mucky5
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:20 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Lots of Mods

Check out this thread. It has a link to a site which shows all the mods this guy did to his CX2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624508

Diggs
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucky5
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a CX2 just "flying away"!

...In any case... I managed to run around the crescent, into a neighbours back yard and somewhat land the chopper....

Mike.

Hi Mike:

Check out this thread in RC Groups - it's titled: My Blade CX flew away...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612445

I took mine up well above the roof tops and it was beautiful! But I didn't have trouble getting it back down. I was more afraid that a wind would take it to the land of OZ ! So I flew it below roof top level.

Good luck!

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:29 AM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Blade Clash and Batteries

Hey Diggs!

I went home yesterday in hopes to fly the heli outside to give it a good test. It was a bit breezier than I should have flown it in -- yea, hind site and all. I lifted off the back deck and it started to get behind me and before I knew it, right into the fence.

No damage (at least I thought) so I went right indoors. It wasn't until I flew it in the living room that I noticed the front part of the skid had broken. Following some other threads, I used a small amount of crazy glue just to hold the pieces together, used sewing thread and wrapped it tight before and after the break. I had to even go up the vertical support just a piece. Then covered the thread with crazy glue to create a cast. It seems to work fine.

Later, flew it again inside the living room. Didn't have blade clash and tried to go hard forward/backwards a few times. But won't really know until I get it inside the warehouse again or outside. I'll keep you up to date.

Hi Klondikes and Rober!

Thanks for the informatin on the Mega Power and other battery thread.

My father was going to order the Mega Power's but hey were out of stock, so he went with Common Sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see about their fits.

There are so many choices it's really hard to decide which one to get. I like to try and keep every thing all the same if I can.

Hey all, thanks for some great posts. It's nice to have other people to fly with, even if their hundreds/thousands of miles away!

Robert
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:35 AM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
You know, I read my posts before I post, so I can correct all my type errors. But sometimes you just hit submit before the brain signal gets out of the thick skull and to the fingers.

Sorry Roger (RCBABBEL) -- no, not trying to change your name to Rober .

When the common sense batteries get in, I'll let you all know how it fits -- for those that don't already know.

And, hopefully will get a chance to fly outside. I didn't notice too much of a difference flying. I still get great hover and since I'm trying to learn precision flying -- doing perfect figure 8's and circles (not just flying around a room) -- I can't tell you if it's flying any differently. It's not as easy to fly a specific pattern

Got to go, got a dentist appointment -- open wide!!!

Have a great day!

Robert
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,684 Posts
Robert,

Thanks for the lower blade mod idea. While flying yesterday, I removed my lower blade tips in flight. (Basement wall) My LHS is also out of parts. I just cut em down to 5.5" and was back in the air. Sweet. My CX2 needed no additional trim adjustments with the mod. Just a little more throttle to lift off.
I tried my best to create a blade strike but no luck. The heli flies great. I do recommend balancing the blades after the mod.

Thanks again,

"Rober"... It's all good.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:31 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Accesories added

Well I got the tailboom and skids in today. I had a busted up front and rear canopy previously, and demolished my stock skids today after a blade strike. So I stopped by the LHS. Glad Stersmans skids came in, since the LHS was out. Have had the new front canopy for a week or so now, and while at the LHS I saw the last WingTote they had on the shelf. So I picked up a few spare parts from what little they had in stock, and I grabbed that WingTote. My Little heli sure looks different now. Before it looked as stock as any other, but now it looks like an original CX with the boom and skids. I like the yellow. I need to add the little holes in the windshield for the pot adjust, and with all the packs I have now, I really need to add the heatsink and vent the canopy for cooling. Flew it a little to hard tonight I think. Opened it up and the motors were screamin hot. Need to watch that. I also think I killed one of my mega power packs. I did some hover tests the other night and one of my megas only lasted about 5 minutes. I am doing trickle charges only to it now, hoping I can save it. No swelling at all, and I don't remember running it down that low, but when I hooked it up the DN charger it read 3.1 and 3.2 V. The test did show me the mega power packs get about 11:45 mins of flight time and the stock packs gave me about 10:15. The one mega is now at like 4:55.

I also found two other boxes waiting for me when I got home. One was a box of parts for the vortex and the other from XUShobby.com. My second charger and all the DN power batt packs arrived. I must say, I think the DN power packs are my favorites so far. I didn't time any of them, but they seem to last a long time, and don't get very warm, and slide into the CX2 tray like a dream. I like the way the boom helps hold the batteries in too.

I have been wanting to break out the digi cam to show stuff I have done, so will toss up a few pics of the new look tonight. OH, the wingtote is very sweet. hard internal sides to protect your heli, and plenty of room for the radio and charger and batts and parts and tools. I don't think this one is for the CX/CX2 even though they said it was at the LHS, but it still works great. My only gripe is the pocket for the TX. You have to fold down the antenna, but it is still a bit tight and seems like the antenna isn't protected as well as it should be.

Lastly, I didn't have one blade strike with the new setup. I have no clue why. I pushed her pretty hard, but didn't try to make one happen. However, the last few I have had were while flying pretty tame. I pushed it tonight after 4 packs not one strike!!! Could the new boom be helping?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:41 AM
Salt Lake City,UT
Joined Nov 2006
272 Posts
Wow that wingtote looks sweet diggs. How much did it cost?

I noticed the battery from XUS hobby stayed very cool. I just recieved it tonight, as well as the skids and boom from stersman. Its like Christmas all over again.

I think my cx2 is a lot more resposive in some ways with the new tail boom. I have never had a blade strike with my cx2 so I cant speak about that ( just lucky I guess, or tame). I have not flown outside much though, just a 16x20 living room and basement.

I may need to buy the charger from XUS hobby let me know how yours works.

I also purchased the yellow original bcx body about 2 weeks ago, but I puchased the tail as well no use for it now oh well.

Ed
EEZFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EEZFlyer
Old Jan 13, 2007, 01:13 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
It was $45. But so far worth it. I took the heli into the office today. I work in a cube farm doing phone support for PC based medical equipment. Some of the guys in the office have been wanting to check it out, so I boxed it up, grabbed another bag for other stuff and hauled it in. I didn't fly it in the office, but our back wall is all glass. We are on the second floor and that is a fairly large grassy area behind the building. I flew it around out there after work and some of them came out to watch, others hung out on the 2nd floor and watched through the big glass. There is also an amphitheater just across the street from our building. It is open from what I hear, so I am going over there next week if the wind will allow and see if I can fly it in the big bowl. But I realized today I didn't like the retail box as a case, and will be hauling it around a lot. Might go out to lake crabtree tomorrow to fly it. It has hard plastic inserts that go between the inner and outer walls, zippered all the way around the top, and the sides are hard plastic for the outside and foam inside. It is very well suited for the heli. I like how the inserts drop in between the outer and inner walls of the bag. Makes it very sturdy, but the inside is very soft. You can check out more here.

As for the charger, I am very pleased with it. I haven't been using any of my stuff long as you know, since I just bought the heli just 2.5 weeks ago. So with my limited experience, I can say I love the chargers. But I see a lot of people swear by the tritons and hyperions. The big selling factor for me has been the digital readout of the voltage and the fact I can now charge a pair of battery packs in one hour. Now that I have two, I can actually get 9 batteries ready to go in two hours if I use the stock charger along with them. I got the second one for Pops heli really. I love having two, but wouldn't have done it except his didn't come with a charger. 2 helis are going to rip through some packs I am sure. Here they both are charging up a mega and a DN. Only doing one at a time since I don't have a matched pair to connect at the moment.

Diggs
Old Jan 13, 2007, 01:17 AM
Formerly P4 Hover
San Jose, California, United States
Joined May 2003
373 Posts
I must say I have also been very happy with my Cellpro! Never had any issues with it, and I like how it reads out how much you put into it!

-Jon
Zeta Phoenix is offline Find More Posts by Zeta Phoenix
Old Jan 13, 2007, 01:33 AM
Salt Lake City,UT
Joined Nov 2006
272 Posts
Diggs, I think I need to get me one of those chargers. I noticed you have adapters going from the stock plug, do those come with the chargers or did you need to puchase those separately? I think you posted but could you pm or repost a link to the charger and adapter for the stock plug.

Thanks

Ed
EEZFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EEZFlyer