HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2007, 05:02 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,358 Posts
Robert,

RC Helicopter Simulator from Alpha Mac Software is not the only and, by a large margin, not the best helicopter sim for Mac!

Here's a couple, which are better:

1) Freeware SSS (Slope Soaring Simulator), which also includes several helies. IMO, SSS is better than RCHS and it cost nothing!
There are SSS Mac executables (I tried the ones for PowerPC G4) over at Yahoo group.

2) X-Plane has a couple of R/C models--one high wing plane and something like 50-size heli. When I tried it a couple of years ago, the heli felt quite real, as good as helies in commercial PC simulators. I believe that X-Plane has an open description for its models as I saw people developing extra models for this sim.

Boris
MHW R&D
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2007, 06:31 PM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky123
Robert,

RC Helicopter Simulator from Alpha Mac Software is not the only and, by a large margin, not the best helicopter sim for Mac!

1) Freeware SSS (Slope Soaring Simulator), which also includes several helies. IMO, SSS is better than RCHS and it cost nothing!
There are SSS Mac executables (I tried the ones for PowerPC G4) over at Yahoo group.

2) X-Plane has a couple of R/C models--one high wing plane and something like 50-size heli. When I tried it a couple of years ago, the heli felt quite real, as good as helies in commercial PC simulators. I believe that X-Plane has an open description for its models as I saw people developing extra models for this sim.

Boris
MHW R&D
Hi Boris:

I have looked and researched an only found RCHS. I will definitely look into the other two you mentioned.

Thanks so much. I work off a G4 as well, so hopefully I have some other options. One question, I'm not sure what you mean by "There are SSS Mac executables". If you wouldn't mind spending a moment and explaining that to me, I'd appreciate that. I've been using MACS for over 15 years, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of what you mean.

I'm so glad I found RC Groups.

Thanks again!

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 09, 2007, 08:31 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZFlyer
Diggs you and I think along the same lines I think.
I am also getting the new tail boom from stersman and I am going to try the Vortex upgrades.

I have not been able to fly outside much here, too much snow, but when I have Its been genera,lly bad. I think I get a little to bold. Today I had my worst crash yet broke every blade the nose of the body, the rotor head. On the plus side I am getting very skilled in repairs, I can change the inner shaft and all blades in about 5 minutes now. After changing all that I was able to get successful flights outside for the first time.

Now I just need my Aileron servo to come from Horizon, should be today or tomorrow. Then it may be like starting all over again. Ugh. But flying on three channels has been fun anyway.

I can already see a day where I will get a Blade CP or similar copter probably this sping sometime.

Go Gators. (sorry big Urban meyer fan being from utah and all)

Yeah, I am stoked about trying some upgrade parts. I took my first maiden flight in the living room tonight. I was a bit worried, but after a little shaky lift off, I was hovering around the small room with no problems. It was extremely challenging. It is a larger area than my garage, but furniture, LCD TV, and just more stuff to run into. Your crash caused more damage than my big one. Although I put a hole in the nose of the front canopy also. BTW, UTAH rocks, I love that state. Was knocked over last year when I visited it for the first time. Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef, Lake Powell and Arches Park... WOW. Plan on renting a house boat for a week this year at Lake Powell.

I rarely use my aileron. I don't find situations where I need it really. I like having it though! nice to scoot away from a wall. I am sure it would change the dynamics of my flights if I learned to use it properly. I am sure things will be different once I step up to a FP or CP. I haven't really researched the next step as of yet. I need to, would like to get the radio for it so I can hook it up to my Phoenix flight sim. The 4 Channel doesn't cut it really. But yes, I also see myself moving to a more difficult Heli when the weather warms. I want something I can fly in a little more wind than the BCX2. I guess the CP would be the right choice since it will force me to learn to really fly a Heli. Oh, and with all my repairs, I am well on my way to joining an RC pitt crew

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 09, 2007, 08:52 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon
That's a great attitude to have! Like I said, I've been very lucky with mine. So far, just a bent flybar -- getting real good at straightening it out though. I did leave the screw at the top off. I read about doing that somewhere and it makes sense. Now, when I crash, the flybar just pops off. Less bending and I believe less blade breaks.
I need to try the flybar trick. Does it change the flight characteristics?

Quote:
I'm guessing the Mega Power batteries are causing more clashes than the e-flites since they appear to have more power. Do you notice faster throttle control even if you just power up with Mega's compared to the e-flite's?
It is subtle, but yeah. I don't really sense it, but I do see the little red LED fire up more often with the megas. I don't sense it because I don't really pay attention to my location on the throttle, do it by feel and reaction, so kinda hard to tell. The next wind free day/night I have, I will take it out and do quick liftoffs to see if I can tell more difference then. But it does seem like I have more power and quicker reactions. I assume all of this adds up to greater RPMs

Quote:
Nope, I just used a sanding block! Actually, I have a sanding sponge -- medium grade. It worked perfectly, just rounded off the end - doing it slowly of course. I'm sure a grit of 100 - 150 on a sanding block will work just the same. I haven't had the chance to work on the other blade -- hopefully tonight. I'll let you know the results. I guess this is why folks keep old blades even when they're busted. You never know!
Once I get time to do more tweaking, I will try the sanding sponge on some old ones to practice. Do you clamp them together so the sanding is even? I really want to know what this will do to the flight times and handling. So please let me know if you test. I am sure there is an optimal length for performance and reduction of blade strikes.

Quote:
Okay, I didn't realize a Vortex was a heli -- I thought it was some type of aftermarket modification. I read all the time that just flying these helis don't seem to be enough -- modify, modify, modify! Looking for the perfect flight. Just getting it into the air is only to test the latest changes! I'm still at the flying is the fun part stage!
I am there with you. Two weeks ago today I brought my CX2 home. I love to read about this stuff about as much as I like flying, and enjoy working on the Heli much more than I thought I would. Typically not mechanical, but I love learning and trying stuff.

Quote:
Any way, I got my father a CX2 for the holidays as well -- his first RC. I've been flying electric gliders for years and invited him to a local school where they fly the helis. He was hooked! Sounds like you and your dad have a similar hobby as well. It's real cool. I'm 45 -- it's still nice to have stuff to do with dad!
I am 40 and agree completely. Should have pops Vortex in tomorrow per UPS tracking. I will likely work on it tomorrow and try to get it ready and trimmed for him the first time. Then it is all up to him. I really don't know if he will be able to fly it. I hope he doesn't get frustrated and give up too quickly. I wish we had a local school to fly in. Thats my next mission, find a school or indoor soccer field that I can access.

Quote:
I really appreciate your answers. I've got a Common Sense battery on the way, Mega was out of stock. I've got my USB cable on the way, can't wait to try a computer sim using a transmitter and not the keyboard. Patience, right!
Let me know about the commonsenserc.com batts. Everything I have read says they are just as good as the stock packs, and darn cheap. gotta love that. Although there is thread about them, I think the polarity is reversed, so you might have to mod the connector or get a polarity adapter. If I locate the thread i will edit this post with a link. The Radio is way better than the KB.

Diggs
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
DN Charger again

I have had a few questions about my DN charger and how it works. All I can say is that I bought another one tonight. That about says it all. I bought this combo

DN Charger with A/C Adapter

Tonight I charged 2 of the Mega Power packs in one hour hooked up in the configuration I posted earlier. It works like a champ. My stock pack is still charging on the stock charger and will likely take an hour more for it to complete. I have 4 of DN 10C 900MAH on the way as well. The Megas are out of stock and I went ahead and got another set from Jun since he has helped me so much with batteries and chargers.

I just need to know if I can modify the Vortex to run on BCX2 packs. I certainly hope so since I will have several and shouldn't need to buy more for the other heli. I am sure they are interchangeable, but the holder will probably need to be changed. Sorry to keep posting multiple posts at the same time, but only have so much time at night to make replies and such. If anyone has questions about that charger let me know. There is a good thread about it here as well.

Diggs
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:41 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Hey guys,
Not to get off topic with the other questions but I've got a little situation on my hands here...
I work at a the LHS, and have torn apart/trimmed/rebuilt/flown CP,CP pro's, Cx, and Cx2's more times than ANYBODY should have to, haha.
BUT... A customer brought his in the other day adter he rebuilt his own after a crash, and it now has a HUUUGGEEE toilet bowl effect.
I've never seen anything THIS BAD before, it's not even controllable!!!
But im hoping that some of you heli wizards can help me out here.
What can I do to fix it???
Thanks in advance,
Vic.
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Hey Vic, You might check that the bearings for the inner shaft and outer shaft to see if they have froze up or check to make sure the shafts are spin "freely". If one of the shafts is bound, it would cause one set of blades to spin slower then the other.

Cant promise that it's the problem, but might be a start.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
I have had a few questions about my DN charger and how it works. All I can say is that I bought another one tonight. That about says it all. I bought this combo

DN Charger with A/C Adapter

Tonight I charged 2 of the Mega Power packs in one hour hooked up in the configuration I posted earlier. It works like a champ. My stock pack is still charging on the stock charger and will likely take an hour more for it to complete. I have 4 of DN 10C 900MAH on the way as well. The Megas are out of stock and I went ahead and got another set from Jun since he has helped me so much with batteries and chargers.

I just need to know if I can modify the Vortex to run on BCX2 packs. I certainly hope so since I will have several and shouldn't need to buy more for the other heli. I am sure they are interchangeable, but the holder will probably need to be changed. Sorry to keep posting multiple posts at the same time, but only have so much time at night to make replies and such. If anyone has questions about that charger let me know. There is a good thread about it here as well.

Diggs

Hi Diggs.. This is great. I need new batteries, and a charger that can do 2 batteries at the same time, now that's even better!

When you say "Tonight I charged 2 of the Mega Power packs in one hour hooked up in the configuration I posted earlier." .. do you mean this post I cut and pasted below?

* Do all the batteries charge on the DN charger without any special adapters?(i.e. stock eFlight, Mega Power, etc)
* Do I need to buy anything else besides the charger and the power supply?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only benefit of using the DN (or Commonsense) charger is the speed at which the batteries are charged (and of course the abiltity to charge 2 at the same time).

--- Your Post with instructions to use the DN ---

1. you will use the 2s and 4s charging port.
2. if you want to charge 2 CX packs from us, you need to use reverse adapter. our CX pack has one.
3. as you can see on the picture, one of the battery used a 2s-4s adapter. that adapter is just to convert a 2s connect to a 4s connect, so it can be plugged into the 4s port.
but actually, you don't have to use this adapter, you can just plug the 2s connector into the 4s port by forcing it. it will be OK.
4. when plug into the 4s port, always align to the right, since the 2s port will use the 1st and 2nd charging channel. and when you plug another 2s pack in to 4s port, you
need to use the 3rd and 4th channel, that's why you have to align to the right.
5. my suggestion is, plug one 2s pack into the 4s port first, if you can see the voltage reading on cell 3 and cell4 on the LCD, then plug the other 2s pack into the 2s port.
6. once you've seen the 4 voltage readings on the LCD, that means you connected them correctly. now you can start using it
mucky5 is offline Find More Posts by mucky5
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:23 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky123
Robert,

Boris
MHW R&D
Hi Boris:

I tried going to SSS' web site. There is no mention of a MAC version. I went to Yahoo Groups -- I'm not familiar with how that works. But saw some recent threads of those trying (and not having too much luck) with a MAC version. Can't seem to find where I can download this.

Any help sure would be appreciated!

Thanks...

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:27 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Enjoyed a little night flying in my drive-way last night...

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
Tip of center shaft that holds flybar broken from crash / torque

Hi everyone,

I had a really subtle crash, and must have clipped the flybar on my CX2. As a result the torque sheered the very tip of the shaft (the 'Stabilizer Flybar Hub/Holder' - #006 from the Exploded View Parts Listing) off that holds the flybar on.

I glued it back on with super glue, and the choper flies just as it did before the crash... But...

What do I have to order to replace this part? Just the part mentioned above (#006) or the the whole rotor head and inner shaft (part #007) + part #006?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
Flight simulation for Blade CX2

Hello everyone,

As a follow up to my last post regarding the requirements to hook the CX2's LP5DSM TX up to my PC for use with FMS, it's actually very simple!

No need to buy a fancy USB cable. Maybe it's better (I already ordered it, so I'll let you know once it arrived), but it's A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE!!

Simply use a standard 1/8 Stereo Male / Male Mini Plug patch cord/cable.

Plug it into the trainer port.

Download SmartPropoPlus and install it (it comes with VERY good instructions that are easy to follow).

Calibrate the joystick in FMS according the instructions that come with SmartPropoPlus.

The only thing that may throw you off is for the most part, a MONO cable is referenced (for other types of controllers.. JR?) You Must use a Stereo cable with the LP5DSM.

I found it VERY easy to set this up, especially with the instructions that come with SmartPropPlus.

Unfortunately for Peregrine Falcon, SmartPropoPlus only works on PC. Maybe your father can use this setup (at least until his USB cable arrives)

Best regards,
Mike.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
Flying on less than a full charge

Hello everyone... Yes, me again. Sorry!

There have been a few times now that I just want to show someone my heli, but the Battery is not completely Charged.

Does it damage the battery to use it on less than a full charge?

And... I don't mean using it after 10 minutes of charging.. I mean using after 1.5 hours on the charger, but the charger hasn't indicated a full charge.

If I were to use the Heli for a few minutes, and put the battery back on the charger, is this bad? I don't know much about LiPo batteries.... I suppose I should just reasearh LiPo's on the web.. maybe I'll do that too.

Thanks!
Mike.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 05:21 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucky5
Hello everyone... Yes, me again. Sorry!

There have been a few times now that I just want to show someone my heli, but the Battery is not completely Charged.

Does it damage the battery to use it on less than a full charge?

And... I don't mean using it after 10 minutes of charging.. I mean using after 1.5 hours on the charger, but the charger hasn't indicated a full charge.

If I were to use the Heli for a few minutes, and put the battery back on the charger, is this bad? I don't know much about LiPo batteries.... I suppose I should just reasearh LiPo's on the web.. maybe I'll do that too.

Thanks!
Mike.
I don't that is a problem of flying without a fully charged batt,as LIPO batt don't have any memory effect.
Hazy is offline Find More Posts by Hazy
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:14 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucky5
Hi Diggs.. This is great. I need new batteries, and a charger that can do 2 batteries at the same time, now that's even better!

When you say "Tonight I charged 2 of the Mega Power packs in one hour hooked up in the configuration I posted earlier." .. do you mean this post I cut and pasted below?

* Do all the batteries charge on the DN charger without any special adapters?(i.e. stock eFlight, Mega Power, etc)
* Do I need to buy anything else besides the charger and the power supply?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only benefit of using the DN (or Commonsense) charger is the speed at which the batteries are charged (and of course the abiltity to charge 2 at the same time).

--- Your Post with instructions to use the DN ---

1. you will use the 2s and 4s charging port.
2. if you want to charge 2 CX packs from us, you need to use reverse adapter. our CX pack has one.
3. as you can see on the picture, one of the battery used a 2s-4s adapter. that adapter is just to convert a 2s connect to a 4s connect, so it can be plugged into the 4s port.
but actually, you don't have to use this adapter, you can just plug the 2s connector into the 4s port by forcing it. it will be OK.
4. when plug into the 4s port, always align to the right, since the 2s port will use the 1st and 2nd charging channel. and when you plug another 2s pack in to 4s port, you
need to use the 3rd and 4th channel, that's why you have to align to the right.
5. my suggestion is, plug one 2s pack into the 4s port first, if you can see the voltage reading on cell 3 and cell4 on the LCD, then plug the other 2s pack into the 2s port.
6. once you've seen the 4 voltage readings on the LCD, that means you connected them correctly. now you can start using it

Yes that is the same post. The photo at the bottom shows how to connect batteries. I am using Mega Power and the stock E-flite batteries now. To use them I must use the polarity inverter adapters that came included with the charger. I connect the 4s inverter to the 4s port, and then plug in a battery, it shows up in in the LCD screen, I then plug another inverter into the 2s port and plug the battery and the voltages show, So all 4 cells are displayed. I set the charge to 1C or .8 and click start. In just about one hour both batteries are charged. So you need to buy NOTHING other than the charger and a power supply to charge a pair of batteries simultaneously.

Hope that helps,
Diggs