Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Charging 2 packs on the DN Power Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JookSing
Hi Diggs,

When you say you were "most impressed" are you referring to the charger or their service? If charger, some questions:
1-A link to the one you bought
2-Were you able to charge 2 lipos at a time, if so what was the chaging time?
3- What is the charging time for one?
4-Did you you have to do any mod the the CX2 fuge to get the Mega Power lipos to fit or did they slide right in?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jooksing,

Here are the instructions I got from XUSHobby.com I received an image that i will email you.

Quote:

1. you will use the 2s and 4s charging port.
2. if you want to charge 2 CX packs from us, you need to use reverse adapter. our CX pack has one.
3. as you can see on the picture, one of the battery used a 2s-4s adapter. that adapter is just to convert a 2s connect to a 4s connect, so it can be plugged into the 4s port.
but actually, you don't have to use this adapter, you can just plug the 2s connector into the 4s port by forcing it. it will be OK.
4. when plug into the 4s port, always align to the right, since the 2s port will use the 1st and 2nd charging channel. and when you plug another 2s pack in to 4s port, you
need to use the 3rd and 4th channel, that's why you have to align to the right.
5. my suggestion is, plug one 2s pack into the 4s port first, if you can see the voltage reading on cell 3 and cell4 on the LCD, then plug the other 2s pack into the 2s port.
6. once you've seen the 4 voltage readings on the LCD, that means you connected them correctly. now you can start using it

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Last edited by DiggyDiggs; Jan 07, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 12:40 PM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
Hey EEZ,

I did change the pushrod location, moved it up one notch. I really love the response this gives. However, this might be the cause of a problem I am having. Blade clashes have increased greatly...

...Due to this I am considering the vortex shafts. I hear they spread the blades further apart and I think you can buy different style blades for them as well...

Diggs
Hi Diggs:

I am so sorry to hear about the crash! Ouch!

I had the chance to fly my CX2 in a warehouse yesterday. It gave me the opportunity to give it full forward motion. I watched it start out fast, then slow to a crawl. The only other time I was able to do that was when I flew outside. I thought the heli slowed due to a slight breeze, but now I realize that's the flying characteristics of this chopper. I liken it to a pendulum. So, like many, I moved the servo link out one hole.

And, yup, had a blade clash just like you mentioned in your previous threads. But, what was different -- and the reason I'm bringing this up -- one of my lower blades had previously been tapped at the end. I lost about 3/4" and sanded it smooth to get rid of the jagged edges (but had vibration). The blade that got clipped in the clash was the other one -- so I'll just trim that for now (and I don't have vibration anymore)!

So, here's a question/thought. If we shorten the length of the lower blades (by how much, I don't know), could that solve the blade clash problem? Of course, we'll probably lose some speed control since there's less blade. Or, maybe shorten the upper blades, but there may be less stability. I'm curious as to your thoughts or any one elses. I'll trim the ragged lower blade and fly again soon. I'll let you know if I get clash again.

And, I've heard about a product that will separate the upper and lower blades -- so maybe that will solve the problem as well. Is this the vortex you were talking about?

To Mcuky5:

I just ordered my USB adapter from Mile High Wings so I can use the CX2 transmitter with my computer sim. I know you made your own. But if any one is interested, as soon as it comes in, I'll give a report -- both from my Mac and one from my father's PC.

Have a great day all!

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 08, 2007, 01:20 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,392 Posts
Diggs, your charger appears to be identical in every but name to the Common Sense Digital charger.
I haven't tried dual charging with mine, but I expect it can be done...
Nope.... there's no 4S-2S adapter with the Common Sense, and plugging one battery into the universal port, and another into the 2S port, only the first battery registers...
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jan 08, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4 Posts
Robert, did you adjust both servos out one hole, or just the forward/reverse servo? I've had a minor blade crash myself, but it was from extreme left/right movement, so I may take that servo back to the 1st hole.

I noticed the same forward momentum effect when I flew my chopper outside as well, and now after reading about some others, I've chalked it up to the dynamics of the flybar.

I did notice that if you give it a little roll to the left or right at the same time as you are flying forward, it will maintain momentum. As a matter of fact, my worst crash so far was when it gained a little too much momentum this way, and I couldn't stop it from doing a faceplant right into a chain-link fence. It wasn't pretty.
Floyd1212 is offline Find More Posts by Floyd1212
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:47 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon
Hi Diggs:

I am so sorry to hear about the crash! Ouch!
Hahahaha. Thanks man, but you got to laugh it off and get back in the saddle. Just finished repairs, Only a couple of blades and the lower blade support. The canopy is still ugly. I picked up a CX original yellow front canopy from the LHS today. I won't bother installing it till I get Stersmans skids and tail boom in.

Quote:
I had the chance to fly my CX2 in a warehouse yesterday. It gave me the opportunity to give it full forward motion. I watched it start out fast, then slow to a crawl. The only other time I was able to do that was when I flew outside. I thought the heli slowed due to a slight breeze, but now I realize that's the flying characteristics of this chopper. I liken it to a pendulum. So, like many, I moved the servo link out one hole.
Yeah the pendulum swing is a definite characteristic of this bird. Oh well, I can live with it till I step up to a CP someday. Got my flight sim in this weekend and WOW. I am awful at CP flight. The crashes on it alone has proved that I paid for the software for what I will save in parts

Quote:
And, yup, had a blade clash just like you mentioned in your previous threads.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I was curious if it was that or the Mega Power batteries that caused it. I still think I get more when using that pack since I feel the RPMs increase with those packs. But now I know for certain the increase in position on the push rods will cause this. I can't give it up though, just won't give up that response and speed. It helps immensely when outdoors with a slight breeze.

Quote:
So, here's a question/thought. If we shorten the length of the lower blades (by how much, I don't know), could that solve the blade clash problem? Of course, we'll probably lose some speed control since there's less blade. Or, maybe shorten the upper blades, but there may be less stability. I'm curious as to your thoughts or any one elses. I'll trim the ragged lower blade and fly again soon. I'll let you know if I get clash again.

I have read on here about people shortening their blades, and haven't gone back to read more on this. I have plenty of chipped and clipped blades that I can play with. How are you cutting them? Are you using a blade of some type, or doing it with heat? I doubt I will do that tonight, but I am game to try this. And I have no clue what results it will bring as far as control/power.

Quote:
And, I've heard about a product that will separate the upper and lower blades -- so maybe that will solve the problem as well. Is this the vortex you were talking about?
I have a Vortex 37 on the way. It is used and needs some care, but I got it cheap. It will be my fathers first. He has never flown and as easy as these are to fly, I think he can get the swing of it quickly. I am going to certainly check out the size difference and will let you know. I might have enough parts to try a set on my CX2. Along with the heli, the guy I a bought it from had a lot of parts, to include some motors. Going to do a lot of testing to see what works and what doesn't. And of course it will all go in here.

Thanks for the info as always.

Diggs
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:55 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
Thanks Diggs,

I wondered if I was just trying to fly it to hard or if my expectations are a bit high for the stock setup. Maybe I'm just used to flying the honeybee FP (never got good, but flew it enough to have some presumptions of heli flight).

I originally thought my turning problem was a blade crash. But I just came back from three packs through it at the gym, and the blades aren't hitting, it's just stalling. I still think the shorter flybar will help with the stalls, and I think the longer shafts will let us move the control positions to a more aggressive spot without the blade strikes, but I'm wondering if we shouldn't be looking into better servos too. Or if my servos don't need replaced.

I might have to pick up some other 6g servos to see how they fly. I had a bunch of the S75 servos in a few planes, and I was never impressed with them, in either the strength or the distance that they would give.
I think you and I have a similar problem. We enjoy speed I have thought about my next step (which is no time soon) and don't know if I want to try an FP or CP bird. I think the FP would be a lot like the coax with added speed.

let me know what you find out with the servos. I have never messed with them at all since this is my first heli. I expect within the next couple of weeks every part of my CX2 will have been replaced, Heck I think I am halfway there already. I like trying new stuff and seeing the results. Haven't done much, but will try several things this weekend for sure when I have more free time.

Diggs
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Diggs, your charger appears to be identical in every but name to the Common Sense Digital charger.
I haven't tried dual charging with mine, but I expect it can be done...
Nope.... there's no 4S-2S adapter with the Common Sense, and plugging one battery into the universal port, and another into the 2S port, only the first battery registers...
That one is not my charger, and it is very slightly different. The location of the 2s and 3s ports are reversed on mine. But other than that, it is identical to the one in the photo. The common sense is the same charger, they just label theirs. I need an adapter to get the polarity right and to plug into the 4S port with a 2S battery. I hope to have that soon. And once I confirm I can charge 2 packs at once, I plan on getting another charger

Diggs
Old Jan 08, 2007, 10:58 PM
Salt Lake City,UT
Joined Nov 2006
272 Posts
Diggs you and I think along the same lines I think.

I am also getting the new tail boom from stersman and I am going to try the Vortex upgrades.

I have not been able to fly outside much here, too much snow, but when I have Its been genera,lly bad. I think I get a little to bold. Today I had my worst crash yet broke every blade the nose of the body, the rotor head. On the plus side I am getting very skilled in repairs, I can change the inner shaft and all blades in about 5 minutes now. After changing all that I was able to get successful flights outside for the first time.

Now I just need my Aileron servo to come from Horizon, should be today or tomorrow. Then it may be like starting all over again. Ugh. But flying on three channels has been fun anyway.

I can already see a day where I will get a Blade CP or similar copter probably this sping sometime.

Go Gators. (sorry big Urban meyer fan being from utah and all)
EEZFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EEZFlyer
Old Jan 09, 2007, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
Hahahaha. Thanks man, but you got to laugh it off and get back in the saddle.
That's a great attitude to have! Like I said, I've been very lucky with mine. So far, just a bent flybar -- getting real good at straightening it out though. I did leave the screw at the top off. I read about doing that somewhere and it makes sense. Now, when I crash, the flybar just pops off. Less bending and I believe less blade breaks.

Quote:
Yeah the pendulum swing is a definite characteristic of this bird. Oh well, I can live with it till I step up to a CP someday. Got my flight sim in this weekend and WOW.
I'm on a MAC computer and there's only one sim out there for us . So I ordered a USB cable for my CX2 tx from Mile High Wings and I hope to have it in soon. There aren't too many choppers on my sim...I'll just have to use what's available to me.

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about this. I was curious if it was that or the Mega Power batteries that caused it
I'm guessing the Mega Power batteries are causing more clashes than the e-flites since they appear to have more power. Do you notice faster throttle control even if you just power up with Mega's compared to the e-flite's?

Quote:
I have read on here about people shortening their blades, and haven't gone back to read more on this. I have plenty of chipped and clipped blades that I can play with. How are you cutting them? Are you using a blade of some type, or doing it with heat?
Nope, I just used a sanding block! Actually, I have a sanding sponge -- medium grade. It worked perfectly, just rounded off the end - doing it slowly of course. I'm sure a grit of 100 - 150 on a sanding block will work just the same. I haven't had the chance to work on the other blade -- hopefully tonight. I'll let you know the results. I guess this is why folks keep old blades even when they're busted. You never know!

Quote:
I have a Vortex 37 on the way. It is used and needs some care, but I got it cheap. It will be my fathers first. He has never flown and as easy as these are to fly, I think he can get the swing of it quickly.
Okay, I didn't realize a Vortex was a heli -- I thought it was some type of aftermarket modification. I read all the time that just flying these helis don't seem to be enough -- modify, modify, modify! Looking for the perfect flight. Just getting it into the air is only to test the latest changes! I'm still at the flying is the fun part stage!

Any way, I got my father a CX2 for the holidays as well -- his first RC. I've been flying electric gliders for years and invited him to a local school where they fly the helis. He was hooked! Sounds like you and your dad have a similar hobby as well. It's real cool. I'm 45 -- it's still nice to have stuff to do with dad!

I really appreciate your answers. I've got a Common Sense battery on the way, Mega was out of stock. I've got my USB cable on the way, can't wait to try a computer sim using a transmitter and not the keyboard. Patience, right!

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks!

Robert
Old Jan 09, 2007, 12:53 PM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Hi folks:

I just found another thread on the CX2 posted:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=618103&page=3

It was started by MondoMor and is titled: E-Flite Blade CX2 FAQ

Being new to RC Groups, does that mean we should be looking at both threads now - or are there even more? I was hoping to stick to just one. Nothing against MondoMor, he did a fantastic job with the site and that's my problem. There's only so many hours in a day and now I have to look through other threads to get great information !

I even see folks here posting on the other one as well. Gets confusing!

Oh well. Back to work so I can get home to fly some. It's been since Sunday and I'm having withdrawal!

Thanks again ModoMor - great information...

Robert
Old Jan 09, 2007, 01:52 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Peregrine,

There is a bunch of good info on RCGroups... Just do a BCX search.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612445

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605331

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582090

RC
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2007, 03:14 PM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
WOW! They all look good. I guess I'll just bookmark them all. Thanks RC!

Robert
Old Jan 09, 2007, 03:28 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Not sure I like the thought of my CX flying away... Thankfully I have a CX2, but I was going to put a CX 4in1 in it so that I could fly it with my other radio

NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Last edited by NumbSkull; Jan 09, 2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 03:51 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
I'm on a MAC computer and there's only one sim out there for us .

Robert
What sim program is available for a MAC? I did not know that there was one.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly
What sim program is available for a MAC? I did not know that there was one.

Chuck
Hi Chuck!

It's from Alpha Mac Software - it's called RC Helicopter Simulator 1.8:
www.alphamacsoftware.com

Here's the exact page for the download, but I suggest reading through the entire site -- it's pretty good:
http://www.alphamacsoftware.com/downloads.php

You can download a free demo - it lasts a few minutes each time you fly. Enough for you to try it out. You can use the keyboard, but that's not real. It also allows you to try out a transmitter in demo mode. You probably read that I ordered a USB cable for the CX2 transmitter from Mile High Wings. I'm waiting for it to come in. The manufacturer states it will work on a MAC. If you're interested, I'll post the outcome.

The cost is around $30.00 to $38.00 -- it seems to depend on the going euro/US Dollar exchange rate. But that's still cheap -- not as cheap as the free ones the PC folks can download

I'm using OSX - and I don't have any problems with the sim in demo mode. The web site also has downloadable choppers and sceneries. You can even create your own and download them! They give you all the software you need and instructions on how to do that

The site also offers an unofficial forum for discussions -- not bad either.

Hope this information helps. I looked and it does appear to be the only one.

Log on, try it out. Let me know what you think -- even if you have to use a keyboard for now!

Good luck!
Robert