SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2007, 07:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
I removed everything from the shaft today due to TB effect problems. Discovered the outer shaft has a hole in it for the top screw of the lower blade holder. Once I lined it up and mounted the screws, life got much better for me. This will prevent improper spacing between the blades, and will get the distance for the swashplate correct also.

Hope that helps.

Diggs
"Helps" is an understatement! After adjusting it, the shaft is rock solid (no wobble at any speed), and trim is 10x easier!

I tried moving the servo arms out, but I'm not sure how you guys managed to force that arm through the tiny little holes; I'm paranoid about splitting the plastic.

Now that the mechanicals are back in order, I think I may need to muss with the gain again, since I used it before to try and counteract other issues. The new symptom is that when I let off of FF, the heli "yanks" back, almost like someone tugged it on a chain. It "feels" like a gyro action, as it seems to be "righting itself" for stable hover. Does that sound like gain, or maybe i need to extend/retract the servo arm?

(Side note: I'm ordering the CF tail boom today from stersman. If I have to take that $#$% plastic tail off one more time, or get the battery caught trying to slide it in, I'm going to lose it )
rgoodwin is offline Find More Posts by rgoodwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 09:41 AM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
Just open up the hole a bit in the servo arm

And letting off fwd stick when in FF & having it try to stop quickly is normal behavior for these things - extremely high stability from the upper rotor stabilizer bar being set at that 45 degree angle to the blades, very effective in canceling out any flapping.
brett s is offline Find More Posts by brett s
Old Jan 07, 2007, 11:01 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Diggs

All my other batteries get charged on my Triton, the oldest battery I had which also happens the be the best one was out of balance. It only took about 10 minutes on the blinky to bring back. 2 others which are much cheaper ones at least price wise, one was right on the other took about 2 minutes. the rest of them don't have balance plugs. the BCX2's were checked after being charged and had sat for a day.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Last edited by davecrash; Jan 07, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2007, 02:10 PM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
565 Posts
Quote:
Also my DN Power LiPo charger arrived!! Go XUShobby.com!! I was a little angry with them earlier this week since my order had not shipped, but once I gave them a call, they really stepped up and got it to me pronto. I am most impressed. I should have called earlier, they are good folks and strive to make their customers happy. Will do more business with them in the near future.
Hi Diggs,

When you say you were "most impressed" are you referring to the charger or their service? If charger, some questions:
1-A link to the one you bought
2-Were you able to charge 2 lipos at a time, if so what was the chaging time?
3- What is the charging time for one?
4-Did you you have to do any mod the the CX2 fuge to get the Mega Power lipos to fit or did they slide right in?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
JookSing is online now Find More Posts by JookSing
Old Jan 07, 2007, 02:43 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Jooksing,

I was impressed with the service mostly. The charger is nice, but I don't know how to get two 2S packs to charge at the same time, yet. I know it can be done, I think I need an adapter.

1 - XUShobby and the charger combo I purchased

2 - Not yet, sent an email to XUS and hope he can tell me how this can be done.

3. Charge time has been just shy of one hour for one battery. 50-55 mins depending on how discharged the pack was.

4. No changes made to the heli, but I took the spacers out of the battery packs. They would fit without removing the spacers, but it was too tight, and I thought with time the stress might break the battery compartment. No problems so far with the spacers removed. They don't seem to get as hot/warm as the stock battery from e-flite.

Once I know how to get two pacs on at the same time, I will let you know how to do it, what is needed and the charge time for two packs, however I suspect it will be one hour as well.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:13 PM
Salt Lake City,UT
Joined Nov 2006
272 Posts
Diggs,

Glad to read that your experience is going will with the BCX2. I am enjoying mine as well, however my aileron servo is bad so no side to side right now, but I can still fly. I called horizon hobby and they are sending me a new servo, great service by the way. They did not even want proof of purchase just took my word on it. I can still fly, in some ways I find it eaiser as its basically three channel now, I think its helped my learning.

Have you made any Mods yet? I am going to order the tail boom/skids combo that you have seen floating around. I also ordered batteries from XUS and am waiting for them. The 850mah battery from Mega power is nice. The first thing I did was to take out the spacers as well.

I have also drilled holes in my canopy for cooling. I have heard that if you get enough air on the 4 in 1 that it will help fix the nose drift problem. I am still tweaking it but I hope it helps as adjuting the pot everytime I fly gets a little old.

Happy flying

Ed
EEZFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EEZFlyer
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:44 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
I removed the cover on my 4 in 1 on my CX2. Seems to have helped a bunch, but still not perfect.

My biggest problem is forward flight. I can give it full forward, and it will go forward a bit but it slowly slows down to next to nothing with the stick still full forward. If I do get some speed built up with it, if I try to turn with the rudder to hard, it will stall the blades and fall. I'm thinking this might be a result of to much change in the direction of the fly bar, but I'm not sure..

Anyone else have this problem? I'm weeding through the thread now, and haven't found anything yet, but I've just started reading, so forgive me if it's been covered.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:58 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZFlyer

Have you made any Mods yet? I am going to order the tail boom/skids combo that you have seen floating around. I also ordered batteries from XUS and am waiting for them. The 850mah battery from Mega power is nice. The first thing I did was to take out the spacers as well.

I have also drilled holes in my canopy for cooling. I have heard that if you get enough air on the 4 in 1 that it will help fix the nose drift problem. I am still tweaking it but I hope it helps as adjuting the pot everytime I fly gets a little old.

Happy flying

Ed
Hey EEZ,

I did change the pushrod location, moved it up one notch. I really love the response this gives. However, this might be the cause of a problem I am having. Blade clashes have increased greatly. I have to be gentle with it, and last night had a very very bad crash due to a blade clash. My bird was up very high. Perfect no wind conditions here last night. I turned it a little hard, but not that sudden or extreme and the blades clashed, snapped one upper and lower rotor. She fell like a brick onto the pavement from a good 30Ft up. I watched and frantically tried to get some control of her, but all I could do is watch it spin in her death spiral to the ground. Front canopy is busted in the nose, have taped that up, looks bad but will work for now. The top bar looks like a musical note on sheet music, 2 rotors blades busted, and the lower rotor holder is broken as well. I haven't opened her up yet to see if there is more damage, but at first glance it looks ok. I don't have a lower rotor blade holder to replace the broken one so I am grounded till I can get one on order or get to the LHS.

Due to this I am considering the vortex shafts. I hear they spread the blades further apart and I think you can buy different style blades for them as well. I just purchased a broken vortex from a guy in the trader forums here. Good price and a lot of spare parts to include an extra pair of vortex motors. He didn't want to repair it so he sold it cheap with all the parts. Once I get it repaired, I will see how the blade clashes do. I hope with the proper blades and distance I can eliminate or greatly reduce the clashes. I love the control the pushrod change has made, and I can't see giving that up. I can fly against a slight breeze now, where I couldn't before.

I have also ordered Stersmans tail boom and skids. Hope to see them soon. If nothing else, not having to remove the rear canopy piece constantly will make it worth while. I guess at some point I will have to replace the front canopy since she is kinda ugly currently

The only other mod I have done was very slight, just the little holes to give me access to the pots without removing the canopy. Prior to the crash, she was flying better than ever. I want to work on cooling, have a heatsink, but haven't mounted it yet, but do want to work on opening the canopy to cool the motors. They get very hot after 2-3 pacs. I let her chill between packs, but its hard waiting

Awesome to hear that Horizon is doing you right on the replacement parts. So far I have heard good things about them, but have yet to do business with them.

Hey, does anyone know where to get aluminum parts for the CX2? I can't find them in stock, or don't know or trust the sites where I find them. And some of those list the part, but they could be out of stock. Also, has only tried or know of replacement shafts and/or blade holders that allow you to try different blades?

Diggs
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:58 PM
Salt Lake City,UT
Joined Nov 2006
272 Posts
Numbskull,

I have not experienced that problem. Is the servo moving back to neutral? Thats a problem I have not heard of much. Could be a bad 4 in 1... Anyone else have any ideas

Ed
EEZFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EEZFlyer
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:06 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoodwin
"Helps" is an understatement! After adjusting it, the shaft is rock solid (no wobble at any speed), and trim is 10x easier!

I tried moving the servo arms out, but I'm not sure how you guys managed to force that arm through the tiny little holes; I'm paranoid about splitting the plastic.

Now that the mechanicals are back in order, I think I may need to muss with the gain again, since I used it before to try and counteract other issues. The new symptom is that when I let off of FF, the heli "yanks" back, almost like someone tugged it on a chain. It "feels" like a gyro action, as it seems to be "righting itself" for stable hover. Does that sound like gain, or maybe i need to extend/retract the servo arm?

(Side note: I'm ordering the CF tail boom today from stersman. If I have to take that $#$% plastic tail off one more time, or get the battery caught trying to slide it in, I'm going to lose it )

Glad I actually helped someone

I took the servo arms off and it took some work to get the pushrod out. Then I took a small drill bit and increased the size of the hole I moved it to. I is a little tough and scary, feels like your going to snap the lever at anytime, but it can be done.

When you let off FF and it snaps back, does the heli continue to reverse or does it hover? Mine stops pretty sudden, which I like if I get close to something, but without seeing what is happening, kinda hard to compare with what mine does. But I haven't ever noticed what your describing.

I got the boom and skids too! And yes, I am thrilled about losing the stock rear canopy just for the ease of access!!

Diggs
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash
Diggs

All my other batteries get charged on my Triton, the oldest battery I had which also happens the be the best one was out of balance. It only took about 10 minutes on the blinky to bring back. 2 others which are much cheaper ones at least price wise, one was right on the other took about 2 minutes. the rest of them don't have balance plugs. the BCX2's were checked after being charged and had sat for a day.
I charged my stock battery on the stock charger last night and then connected it to the DN power charger. Balanced perfectly. So it seems the stock charger is fine. I did notice something odd. I charged the Mega Power packs with the DN and hooked it to the stock charger after. It charged another 5-10 minutes on the stock charger. Seems as if the stock charger might be over charging just a touch, or the DN isn't fully charging? Dunno, but will continue to investigate.

Diggs
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
I've found that with my lipos on my CellPro 4S that it will charge to 4.2v per cell, but if I let them sit for a few minutes, they drop down to a hair under 4.2 per cell. If I put them back on the charger, they will run for a few minutes before the charger stops again. That might be what you saw when you plugged it into the stock charger.
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:17 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
I removed the cover on my 4 in 1 on my CX2. Seems to have helped a bunch, but still not perfect.

My biggest problem is forward flight. I can give it full forward, and it will go forward a bit but it slowly slows down to next to nothing with the stick still full forward. If I do get some speed built up with it, if I try to turn with the rudder to hard, it will stall the blades and fall. I'm thinking this might be a result of to much change in the direction of the fly bar, but I'm not sure..

Anyone else have this problem? I'm weeding through the thread now, and haven't found anything yet, but I've just started reading, so forgive me if it's been covered.
Some of what you are describing seems Typical for coax helis. From what I have read, they don't go forward quickly. Mine does slow down some but then speeds back up, until I turn. I have started to throttle into the turns and this is one of the reasons I get blade clashes. Also, I have moved the pushrod position up one hole on the servo linkage. This sped up all controls including FF for me. Again, I think this is another reason for my blade clashes, but I love the response and speed I get.

Diggs
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZFlyer
Numbskull,

I have not experienced that problem. Is the servo moving back to neutral? Thats a problem I have not heard of much. Could be a bad 4 in 1... Anyone else have any ideas

Ed
It acts like it's going back to neutral. Sometimes it will "kick in" and give me some more forward gusto. It will reverse pretty good, but it still has the same problem. I wonder if the servo is no good. It might be the 4in1. I was worried about it at first since I was having problems getting it to trim out. but now I think I've got it dialed in pretty good, and I can hover hands off with very little tail drift, but that doesn't mean it's not still causing the problems.

I'm going to mess with the servos a bit and see if their hanging on something. How much movement at the ball link on the swash plate with the stock linkage setup should I see? I don't have much on mine, but I'll have to measure it to see what it is.
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:25 PM
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Some of what you are describing seems Typical for coax helis. From what I have read, they don't go forward quickly. Mine does slow down some but then speeds back up, until I turn. I have started to throttle into the turns and this is one of the reasons I get blade clashes. Also, I have moved the pushrod position up one hole on the servo linkage. This sped up all controls including FF for me. Again, I think this is another reason for my blade clashes, but I love the response and speed I get.

Diggs
Thanks Diggs,

I wondered if I was just trying to fly it to hard or if my expectations are a bit high for the stock setup. Maybe I'm just used to flying the honeybee FP (never got good, but flew it enough to have some presumptions of heli flight).

I originally thought my turning problem was a blade crash. But I just came back from three packs through it at the gym, and the blades aren't hitting, it's just stalling. I still think the shorter flybar will help with the stalls, and I think the longer shafts will let us move the control positions to a more aggressive spot without the blade strikes, but I'm wondering if we shouldn't be looking into better servos too. Or if my servos don't need replaced.

I might have to pick up some other 6g servos to see how they fly. I had a bunch of the S75 servos in a few planes, and I was never impressed with them, in either the strength or the distance that they would give.