SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2007, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2006
69 Posts
Well mine doesn't. It only takes me about 3 seconds to scare the sh*t out of the cat and crash it into the kitchen garbage can.

What's you secret?
xlh1460 is offline Find More Posts by xlh1460
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2007, 11:08 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
DOn't fly near your cat or garbage can, fly in a huge open area so you can hit nothing.
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Jan 05, 2007, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
69 Posts
Sounds good. Actually the best flights I had with my little BX were in my small back yard when I first got it. Apparently this little bird isn't a good outdoor flyer. I don't have a gym at my disposal but maybe my (again small) garage would serve as a better training ground.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 11:20 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I fly mine primarily in a Two car garage. It is small, and I have fun flying it there. However, I really want a nice big open space thats indoor like a gym. Trying to locate such a place. I also just realized I posted about my drifting issue in the wrong thread, thought this was the battery/tail drift thread. My apologies, but I am blaming it on the martinis.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 06, 2007, 12:07 AM
Joined Sep 2006
69 Posts
It's ok. I blame my lousy flying on the martinis.

Really, they don't seem to help.

I need more practice, moving out to the garage once the current project out there is done.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 01:19 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
I need to get me a video of me flying...I basically fly over the couch, around to the big screen, then I come back towards me, cat takes offbehind, I do a quick half piro, back down between the coffee table between the tv and then bring it back up and fly over the couch, LOL
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Jan 06, 2007, 09:18 AM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
CX2 USB to PC/MAC cable now available!

Hi All:

I use a MAC (I do advertising) and there's only one sim that I know of for us from Alpha Mac Software: www.alphamacsoftware.com

After downloading their trial version and using the keyboard, it didn't take long to realize you need a transmitter if you're going to learn. I looked up their 'unofficial' forum and learned of a company that makes cables -- Mile High Wings. I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago and they told me they didn' have a cable for our E-flite CX2 but was working on it. They just e-mailed me last night to inform me they now have one avaiable! Here's the link:

www.milehighwings.com/usb_cables.htm

The first one on the list is for the CX2. It even comes with three free sims, but of course, not for a MAC

Well, I'm going to order mine today and I'll let you know how it works. I'm going to get one for my dad as well -- he's PC and we'll update you on that one too.

Hope this helps!

Happy flying...errr...hovering!

Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 06, 2007, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
13 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the input. I guess I agree that the CX2 'should' fly pretty well, but one crash could cost me a lot more than the shishkab scewers used to create a training gear! ... and, the simulator (FMS) is free... so I really can't go wrong. I plan on moving to more advanced copters pretty soon, so I'm going to try and hone my skills at the tx carefully right from the start with my CX2.

The last post from Peregrine Falcon is of the most interest to me. I looked for a cable, and couldn't find one. So, I decided to build a cable that would work though the SmartPropPlus 'plugin' for FMS. In theory it should work, but I don't have the tx yet to test with (Monday). The cable cost me all of about $5.00.

Once I get the tx, I'l post whether or not the cable actually works. It would be nice (cheaper) alternative to the $50.00 USB cable from milehighwings.

I guess the only problem would be on MAC. SmartPropoPlus does not support MAC!

Thanks for all the posts.. I really appreciate the help.

Best regards,
Mike.
mucky5 is offline Find More Posts by mucky5
Old Jan 06, 2007, 03:52 PM
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucky5
Hi Everyone,

... The last post from Peregrine Falcon is of the most interest to me. I looked for a cable, and couldn't find one. So, I decided to build a cable that would work though the SmartPropPlus 'plugin' for FMS. In theory it should work, but I don't have the tx yet to test with (Monday). The cable cost me all of about $5.00.

Once I get the tx, I'l post whether or not the cable actually works. It would be nice (cheaper) alternative to the $50.00 USB cable from milehighwings

I guess the only problem would be on MAC. SmartPropoPlus does not support MAC!

Thanks for all the posts.. I really appreciate the help.

Best regards,
Mike.
Hi Mike:

Just an FYI. The cable is listed at $40.99 + $5.00 S/H. But you won't be able to beat the $5.00 at your cost!

Good Luck, let me know how it works out for you. I'll still have to buy the one from Mile High - it works for a MAC.

It sounds like you are getting your CX2 this Monday? Have fun. I've had mine for about one month -- bought one for my dad and another for me so we could enjoy a new hobby together. I love mine!

Have a great weekend!
Robert
Peregrine Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Peregrine Falcon
Old Jan 06, 2007, 04:48 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Good day with the BCX2

Earlier in the week I received a pair of the mega power 15C lipos from Helidirect, I of course charged those bad boys up pronto and went out to test them out. Tested them outdoors at the elem. school near the house under their large lit canopy entrance, kinda sheltered from the wind. But due to my poor depth perception and the distance I was from the Heli, I put the rotor into a pillar. While I had it apart to make repairs I did one of the tweaks I saw here with the push rod position. Moved them both up one hole and replaced another of those plastic inner shaft/stabilizer bar holders. Well, took it outside again, and too much wind really, but tested. Big difference in the ability to fly into the wind, and I could tell it was much more responsive. Plus I had one of the new Mega Power Lipos in. Well I should of set her down when the wind kicked up, but didn't, and had a fairly soft crash. Another Pillar, but the rotors had all but stopped and the heli sat down a little hard, but I have set her down much harder before. No visible damage, but I picked her up and took her home to the garage. First time I lifted off, found she was really off. Took most of the day to resolve the TB effect I was getting, but she is smooth again. Finally, I just finished up a back to back pair of packs and got approx 23-24 minutes of flight time.

The 15Cs are nice. Punchy and strong. I got too aggressive with it and made a hard turn, reversed my direction and hit the throttle. CLACK, the upper and lower blades hit and it snapped one of my lower blades. WOW. Replaced the LWR blade and put in the e-flite pack. I couldn't duplicate it with that pack. The new positions on the push rods really make a difference and in combo with the 15C's its significant (for me at least).

Also my DN Power LiPo charger arrived!! Go XUShobby.com!! I was a little angry with them earlier this week since my order had not shipped, but once I gave them a call, they really stepped up and got it to me pronto. I am most impressed. I should have called earlier, they are good folks and strive to make their customers happy. Will do more business with them in the near future.

I also burned a pack trimming out the heli today. Burned the little holes in the canopy to get to the pots, makes it nice and quick. She hovers even better now. And my Phoenix RC simulator software arrived!! Yay, get to crash and burn on a real CP tonight once I get it up and running

Learned alot today about trimming and working against the TB effect. Was good to finally work everything out myself.

Anyway i am all stoked and rambling. So far had very good experience with the info I have found here and with the online stores I have dealt with.

XUShobby.com really stepped up to the plate and wanted to let everyone know since they deserve it. Also Helihobby.com and towerhobbies.com have done well too. All good outfits. I will try to get some accurate flight time comparisons between the eflite and mega power batts this weekend, but having too much fun flying to really mess with it at the moment

Diggs
Old Jan 06, 2007, 05:21 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I went to the LHS today to look into a balance charger for all my batteries.
I ended up getting an Astro Blinky balancer. The interesting thing is after balancing all of my batteries I decided to plug it into my BCX2 batteries to find to my surprise they are out of balance. I figure about 10 flights on the first pack and 3 on the second. isn't it suppose to be a balance charger?
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jan 06, 2007, 05:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
317 Posts
I use a standard stereo 1/8" to 1/8" male stereo cable in conjunction with SmartProPro and FMS and it seems to work just fine

Cost? Free, or $2 if you don't have one.

I'm not saying it's the best but everything SEEMED to move in the right directions. Of course FMS always locks up on me anyway so it's hard to say.
rgoodwin is offline Find More Posts by rgoodwin
Old Jan 06, 2007, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
The outer shaft somehow slipped down, to correct this I removed the inner shaft and all the lower rotor mounts and swashplate. Finally got it to slide back into place and put everything back. now I am getting this very odd movement when I try to hover. No tail drift really, but it wants to go forward but after a few seconds stop then the nose will yaw slightly left, then right and the entire heli will drift/strafe to the right. It is pendulum like in its timing. It seems as if I am off balance. Stabilizer bar is straight, not too tight.

I wonder if I have seated the swashplate wrong in some way, or if the pushrods and servos are out of whack somehow. I have adjusted the pushrods to decrease this some, but that leads me to believe it is either the servo levers or the swashplate. I did remove the levers (ones with the holes) when I adjusted the pushrods. And I did accidentally move them some when I was working on it. How do you calibrate them? Or do you? Suggestions on what might be causing this?

Tips or links to another thread where this info exists would be appreciated. I will keep hunting and tweaking, but thanks for any advice.

Diggs
When my shaft came loose, I reseated the swashplate improperly as well. In fact I still haven't quite gotten it back in perfect (too much forward motion currently so I must have some forward tilt). It seems to me you just have to move the lower blade holders up and down (w/ the plate attached) until you can eyeball it to be level.

If someone has a better idea, PLEASE let me know I'm sittting at full backwards trim and still have to pull back a little to prevent forward drift.
rgoodwin is offline Find More Posts by rgoodwin
Old Jan 06, 2007, 05:40 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
DaveCrash,

After a flight with my E-flite lipo, I hooked it up to the DN and they were off as well. I will test later to see if they are off balance after taking a charge with the stock charger. Not really fair to say its the charger after a full flight, but I wasn't expecting to see that.

Diggs
Old Jan 06, 2007, 06:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoodwin
When my shaft came loose, I reseated the swashplate improperly as well. In fact I still haven't quite gotten it back in perfect (too much forward motion currently so I must have some forward tilt). It seems to me you just have to move the lower blade holders up and down (w/ the plate attached) until you can eyeball it to be level.

If someone has a better idea, PLEASE let me know I'm sittting at full backwards trim and still have to pull back a little to prevent forward drift.

I removed everything from the shaft today due to TB effect problems. Discovered the outer shaft has a hole in it for the top screw of the lower blade holder. Once I lined it up and mounted the screws, life got much better for me. This will prevent improper spacing between the blades, and will get the distance for the swashplate correct also.

Hope that helps.

Diggs