HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2007, 07:15 PM View Post
Pro Z Racing
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while Pro Z Racing edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:09 PM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
I use Jamie's stuff at Boomtown Hobbies myself. Great support and quick service...not to mention the quality.

Wolf

Oh..and it's made in America too.
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:35 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Fall Down Go Boom

Went to the park near my house. The wind was mostly calm. I would land if I felt a gust coming. A gust surprised me and lifted my CX2 up and away. I tried to bring it back. It came to a crashing halt in a soy bean field.

The damage: both sets of blades, weight bar, cracks in plastic body work.

Crashes happen. The unit still powers up, but I have some minor repairs to now make.
caeman is offline Find More Posts by caeman
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:39 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Z Racing
Just wanted to let you guys know i have Carbon Boom kits Plus a full set of blades and free shipping $19.99 Also have the CX Grappling hook game available in my ebay store.
Ooooh. I love the look that tail boom gives to the CX2. So much so, that I just placed an order. My local hobby shop, though only 20 minutes away, closes too soon after I get home from work.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:12 PM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
Caeman,

Sorry to hear about your bird. Those bean fields suck.

You'll love the new boom.

Wolf
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:31 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
Caeman,

Sorry to hear about your bird. Those bean fields suck.

You'll love the new boom.

Wolf
My buddy who has two RC heli's (A T-rex 400 and a Blade CP) was there to laugh/point/and console me as we searched the field for my heli. We found it by sound. I would operate the servos and listen for the sound.

*laugh*

I then promptly unplugged the battery since the manual described dire consequences for the LiPo battery.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
Joined May 2007
200 Posts
Blade Strike!

Yup, had read about it here but had not experienced until this last weekend. Pretty ugly. Fortunately wasn't to high so most damage confined to blades and canopy when it dropped onto the asphalt.

Also, who ever says (including vendors) that shortening the flybar will virtually eliminate the possibility of blade strike is not exactly correct. It probably eliminates most but certainly not all occurrences.

BTW, I had modified (as suggested here) my fly bar showing only 3-3/8" on both sides of the hub plus the use of 2 locking collars on each end. I really like the mod and even use it indoors but blade strike none the less.
Racer57 is offline Find More Posts by Racer57
Old Aug 16, 2007, 04:29 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
OK - Here's my CX2 modded with the extreme core bladeCX2 upgrades. After 8 months of perservering with the stock shafts, flybar and blades - flying a little in house but mainly in a cycling dome and a bit outside with terrible results and blade/bar clashes, I bit the bullet and went for these mods, including the stiffer hinged blades, longer shafts with greater rotor separation, short steel flybar - with double links - and custom weights. Also using the more robust skids.

Took a while to strip the old system down and loosen very tight stock screws, found a little trick to lineup the holes for the lower rotor blade grip assembly (see pic) using micro driver to align upper holes whilst fastening lower screws. Disappointed with first flight - totally out of balance, so went back to the old flybar, relevelled the swash, etc, but still a bad wobble. Put new bar back on and still no joy; then firmly tightened the blade mounts so that only substantial force would make them hinge back and "voila" she went into a stable hover with increased lift you wouldn't believe due to the super smooth blade finish. Haven't tried the other flexible upper blades yet but will.

The new flybar has weights attached with hex setscrews, so you have to carefully balance it before attachment, also evenly adjust the double links for equal length and ensure the whole system swings freely.

Have gone one hole out on the elevator servo arm to get positive forward movement and have already tried outside - the heli is so quiet with these blades even the dog doesn't get upset. The controls are also incredibly more responsive and I had little trouble avoiding the trees, bringing it back over the grass and landing. Will try it in the dome circuit tonight and report back on FFF. The white blades and silver weights on the flybar make it easy to see how the system performs in flight and I can now see how the stock system could get so out of kilter it would create clashes all the time.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Aug 16, 2007, 07:59 AM
ACT, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
Crashes happen. The unit still powers up, but I have some minor repairs to now make.
Hey Caeman,

Yeah, get used to crashes. They do happen but it's all part of the learning. Part of the fun is learning to fly, the other part is learning the mechanics; how the heli works and how to repair and tune it. I get equal pleasure out of both.

Did we mention that it is horribly addictive? All your bases are belong to us
CrowdedTrousers is offline Find More Posts by CrowdedTrousers
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:58 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Double linked?

Okay, so I have a new flybar in hand.

Would there be an advantage to having the flybar doubly attached to the top rotor instead of its single link? Disadvantages?

I want to ask BEFORE I try it, just in case it is a known disaster.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdedTrousers
Did we mention that it is horribly addictive? All your bases are belong to us
Let's see...yes, I do remember seeing in several places about the entire RC hobby being addictive. I have indeed learned a lot about my CX2 having taken the body off and such. I did not completely dismantle it, I am not ready for that step.

Tonight, the new flybar goes on, as well as the training landing gear and we are go for flight.

How do I know I am addicted within my first two weeks? I have been trolling eBay looking for deals on mod parts, cheapy deals on used heli and other RC craft. There is an eBay auction up right now for "5 MEGATECH C.C. FLYER REMOTE CONTROL PLANES". They are customer returns, but the gamble of being able to assemble 2 to 3 working lanes for about $32 is way tempting. I even put in a bid on a crashed 3d Heli for a $1, because I think I could fix it.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 07:28 PM
Joined May 2007
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
Okay, so I have a new flybar in hand.

Would there be an advantage to having the flybar doubly attached to the top rotor instead of its single link? Disadvantages?

I want to ask BEFORE I try it, just in case it is a known disaster.
Yeah, I would kinda like to hear an answer on this subject also.
Racer57 is offline Find More Posts by Racer57
Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:23 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
My First CX2 Mod

I did it. I did my first successful CX2 mod. I installed the carbon fiber boom (bat design) from State Line Hobbies. I followed the instructions and the install completed without any problems. Everything fit where it supposed to fit. My CX2 now looks way cooler than it did the 5 minutes before.

As per my previous question about double-linking the flybar to the top rotor, I went ahead and tried it. The result? Nothing special. So, I am going to leave them both in place.

I expended a battery tonight trying to hover. This is going to take some work!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 03:42 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
The double link connecting the flybar to the upper rotor ensures a more perfect balance of the system because you simply don't have the unbalanced mass of the single link to one side. The weight (or mass) of that link is significant, especially when rotating.

Have a look down on top of your heli - that single link on one side will introduce an out of balance force - add the second link and take another look - not only do you now see a obviously statically balanced top rotor assembly but it will always have a better dynamic balance when rotating - where all masses including the links will generate consideable force.

Consider the OEM CX2 & the stock replacement parts - generally of minimal materials compared with available upgrades, be it, aluminium or plastic. The blades are too flexible, the flybar is too long and there is insufficient separation between the rotors. The skids are rubbish. All these OEM components will break, especially during the "crash" frequent learning stage. There are too many inbuilt defects to be able to fly reliably and safely in company (kids watching closeby) or outside with any air currents present. The OEM heli comes apart in the air for no apparent reason until you analyse it's makeup.

E-Flite could further improve their reputation by offering a deluxe "out-of-the-box" CX2 with a shorter double linked flybar; tougher & more aerodynamic hinged blades; longer inner shaft for greater rotor separation and tougher skids; oh! yes, and OEM heat sinks on the motors & ventilated canopy. That would ensure a heli which is a joy to fly with confidence anywhere, particularly after the brain has kicked in with the co-ordination specific to flying a small heli. Something you can take outside and experience full forward flight (FFF) or operate at a safe distance from spectators even when pulling more extreme manoevres.

The difference in performance between the stock CX2 and a performance enhanced machine has to be experienced to be believed. There are plenty of optional mods left for the dedicated owner - lights, retracts, projectiles...booms (if you wanna make it look real ugly - where do you put the luggage on a boomed ship?) ...the list goes on. The CX2 with it's unique 2.4 gig radio has probably done more for RC flying than any other model..well, maybe with the exception of AA foamies and the introduction of high performance electric motors and SpeedyBECs.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Last edited by Sirion; Aug 18, 2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 04:33 PM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
So I installed the Lama hard Blades with Vortex Blade Grips upper and lower and the longer inner and outer shaft. The CX2 now flys like crap. I guess I will need to tweak it again, but now it has a bad vibration, the flybar doesn't move as freely and there was a big gap between the outer shaft bearing holder and the upper alum head, so much so that I had to install another bearing from my old bearing holder to make up the difference. I should have just left it alone cause it was flying great other than breaking blades almost every time I flew it. Hence, trying my "home made" setup. Now I am a little disappointed.
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO