Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:59 PM
Edmond, OK
Joined Dec 2006
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbc
link? TrueRC 900 mah batteries
Try this link: http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/read...eady_packs.htm

Scroll down about 2/3 of the page. They have both 900 ma and 850 ma batteries for the CX/CX2.
NitroExpress is offline Find More Posts by NitroExpress
Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:32 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
The balance tabs on the TrueRC batteries, are they the same plug a Thunder Power ones? So i could use my FMA Charger?
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
Don't forget the TrueRC 900 mah batteries made specifically for the CX2. They fit perfectly and offer a good flight time. And, their customer service is great.
I didn't know about these. $20 + $1 shipping for any quantity. I'm not sure about that disclaimer on the home page. I've not seen a disclaimer like that anywhere else.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Are there any advantages to the Xtreme motors
The brushes are replaceable on the Xtreme motors. You can put silver brushes in them for a little more power. With a dn 850 15c battery and silver brushes they produce good power and tail spins are faster.

They are 2 grams lighter than the factory motors.

They are a little quieter than the stock motors. When the stock motors get old they get very loud.

They have ball bearing around the shafts instead of bushings. Bushing have a greater chance of failing over ball bearing and bushings create more heat.

The end bell is vented which helps keep the heat down.

The wire is a heavier gauge.

www.boomtownhobbies.com
stersman is offline Find More Posts by stersman
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
I wish I found this thread earlier, I ended up replacing the entire shaft, inside and out, in my blade CX2 before I found out that my blades were out of balance >_<. Oh well, at least I have some extra parts =). The first crash is always the worst...
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I have some TrueRC packs, and have been pretty happy with them. I really can't tell much if any difference between them and the DN power packs. Daniel is a good guy, met him in person at SEFF and I wouldn't be worried about the disclaimer. He has to protect himself if the battery is abused and catches fire or something. They are solid packs and I use his TX packs for my DX7, and I have also used some of his 3S packs for other helis and planes. Have had a couple swell on me, but then again, I have had DN power brand do the same thing. In Fact I have a bunch of 3S 2050 20C DN packs, and every single one has swelled with minimal use.

I have bought a bunch of batts in my day, and would buy True RC and DN power again.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:55 PM
Regular
P-ville TX
Joined May 2007
424 Posts
Just got my CX2 Parts battery in today. Looks nice and fits perfect in the CX2. And is very fast shipping , ordered on Friday night, was in the mail today, and reasonably priced. 850maH 15C compared to 800maH 10C for stock battery
http://cx2parts.com/Batteries.html
ScottGTO is offline Find More Posts by ScottGTO
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:35 AM
Joined May 2007
200 Posts
I gave up on the stock batteries and charger and now use DN Power 850 & 900 batteries. Much better. But I also bought a Prodigy Charger. Also much better, charges the batteries in less than 1/2 of the time and charges them more fully.

But, my question is, with a 2 cell battery how important is it to balance the cells? My charger is not a balancing charger but I can purchase a balancer only for $26.95. Do I really need to spend this money?

Roger
Racer57 is offline Find More Posts by Racer57
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:52 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57
I gave up on the stock batteries and charger and now use DN Power 850 & 900 batteries. Much better. But I also bought a Prodigy Charger. Also much better, charges the batteries in less than 1/2 of the time and charges them more fully.

But, my question is, with a 2 cell battery how important is it to balance the cells? My charger is not a balancing charger but I can purchase a balancer only for $26.95. Do I really need to spend this money?

Roger
In my opinion balancing is necessary for all LiPos. If your charger does not balance the cells, I recommend the AstroFlight Blinky LiPo balancer.

Be careful about the faster charge. The time to charge a LiPo is based on the amps going into the LiPo. You can push this and charge them faster but this can lead to shortened battery life or, in a worse case, have a fire.

The recommended amperage for charging all LiPos as given by all LiPo manufacturers and LiPo charger manufactures is at 1Ah (Amp-hour) of the LiPo rated Ah. As an example, your 900mAh LiPo is .9Ah. So, the maximum recommended charge amperage is .9A. You can charge the LiPo faster using 1.5A but that is not good for the LiPo. Heck, if you want charge it at 5A. Your charger can be set for 5A. If the LiPo does not burst into flames it will charge real quickly. Following the recommendation for a 1500mAh LiPo, that LiPo is 1.5Ah and can be charged at 1.5A. 2100mAh LiPo is 2.1Ah and can be charged at a maximum of 2.1A.

So, in my opinion, when someone says their LiPos charge faster, what they are really saying is that they are exceeding the recommended amperage for charging their LiPos and taking a chance on damaging the LiPo or testing the limit before a LiPo bursts into flames. I hope you are quick charging your LiPos outside away from anything that will burn. The proper maximum amperage for your LiPos is .85A for the 850mAh LiPos and .9A for the 900mAh LiPos. Anything above that is not recommended by any manufacturer and is actually very dangerous.

klondikes
Old Jul 31, 2007, 01:25 PM
In Heli Heaven!
Clarkston, MI
Joined Nov 2006
67 Posts
I agree with Klondikes - and if you want to see what a lipo fire looks like, go to www.cx2parts.com & view the lipo videos listed on the left side of their home page .

Those vids should teach you to have respect for all lipos!

Don
droy000 is offline Find More Posts by droy000
Old Jul 31, 2007, 01:58 PM
Joined May 2007
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikes
The proper maximum amperage for your LiPos is .85A for the 850mAh LiPos and .9A for the 900mAh LiPos. Anything above that is not recommended by any manufacturer and is actually very dangerous.

klondikes
Thanks for the response Klondikes. I AM NOT charging at a rate more than what you have listed above. In fact I have programmed this charger to be set excactly like that. Maybe I didn't articulate clearly enough with regard to the reduced charge time. The comparision is between the stock e-flite charger and my charger. E-flite charger took approximately 1hr 45 minutes to charge stock e-flite batteries and my Prodigy charger takes approximately 45 minutes to recharge the DN power batteries.

I will, however, invest in a balancer. Thank you. And Oh, BTW, I charge in a covered casserole dish.

Roger
Racer57 is offline Find More Posts by Racer57
Old Jul 31, 2007, 02:55 PM
Born again newbie
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
994 Posts
Quote:
And Oh, BTW, I charge in a covered casserole dish.
What do the rest of you charge in? I am thinking about sourcing an ammo can given that it did so well in the videos. it looked to me like I could put a grommet in a 1/4" or so hole and pass the AC adapter plug through it. Or if that is too much air I can always build a male to female cable through it and plug the e-flight ac adapter in to the female outside and the male on the extension on the inside. I was convinced that this was all tales to scare children etc. Mind you they were charging these cells at 10x their rating.

Has anyone here had a battery cook on them?

Thanks,
David
dmulligan is offline Find More Posts by dmulligan
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:11 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the response Klondikes. I AM NOT charging at a rate more than what you have listed above. In fact I have programmed this charger to be set excactly like that. Maybe I didn't articulate clearly enough with regard to the reduced charge time. The comparision is between the stock e-flite charger and my charger. E-flite charger took approximately 1hr 45 minutes to charge stock e-flite batteries and my Prodigy charger takes approximately 45 minutes to recharge the DN power batteries.

I will, however, invest in a balancer. Thank you. And Oh, BTW, I charge in a covered casserole dish.

Roger
Now that makes sense. Sounds like your stock charger was way on the slow side and your new charger is working just right. 45 minutes is about right. I believe your charger attaches right to the power leads from the LiPo and not the balanced connector. That leaves the balanced connector free to plug in the Blinky. That is how I balance my LiPos - while they are charging.

Covered casserole dish? Sounds effective but I hope you got that tuna casserole smell out first. I have an old metal fire safe that I use for charging and storing my LiPos. It is just like those little fire-safe plastic document holders like you can buy at WalMart except this is an old one made of metal instead of plastic.

klondikes
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:20 PM
Edmond, OK
Joined Dec 2006
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbc
The balance tabs on the TrueRC batteries, are they the same plug a Thunder Power ones? So i could use my FMA Charger?
I'm not sure about the balance plug...go to the website and send an email to Dan...he'll know for certain.

I use the DN Power Balance Charger and it's great. Charges 1 to 4 cells with digital readout of both voltage and current for each individual cell. It taper charges each cell individually until all are fully charged. Has an alarm to let you know when the charge is complete.
NitroExpress is offline Find More Posts by NitroExpress